HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Shanahan chose NY over Montreal

Old
09-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

vCash: 500
Why Shanahan chose NY over Montreal

http://www.nhl.com/features/insider/shanahan091206.html

"I went into Montreal and had a chance to visit with them," Shanahan said. "Had a great meeting with (Executive Vice President and GM) Bob Gainey, the president of the club, the coach of the team, even the owner of the team. I think aside from a lot of the on-ice reasons why I chose to come to New York, this was also off-ice issues for my family. It's probably a little bit of an easier cultural move and closer to the grandparents. My kids are getting to that age now. It's a little bit easier for my wife's parents to take the drive from Boston."

Last edited by Habs4Lyfe: 09-14-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:39 PM
zednik20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post

"I went into Montreal and had a chance to visit with them," Shanahan said. "Had a great meeting with (Executive Vice President and GM) Bob Gainey, the president of the club, the coach of the team, even the owner of the team. I think aside from a lot of the on-ice reasons why I chose to come to New York, this was also off-ice issues for my family. It's probably a little bit of an easier cultural move and closer to the grandparents. My kids are getting to that age now. It's a little bit easier for my wife's parents to take the drive from Boston."
already been posted...

zednik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zednik20 View Post
already been posted...
just did a search...didnt find anything...not sure what u are talkin about...

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Everything was great except that he had to come to Montreal to realize that it's a different culture and not close enough to the grandparents....Well talk about a visit for nothing.....

What were the " a lot of the on-ice reasons"??? Is playing with Ribeiro one of them???? Well that's enough I guess...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:53 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

I think it's a great feat that Gainey even got him interested enough to come to Montreal. Shanahan also mentions having a great meeting with Gainey even if he seems to imply he had his mind made up already.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Teufelsdreck

Sounds as though another $1M would have made the culture and distance from grandparents more acceptable.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Artyukhin*

im not worried about shanny choosing new york over montreal . i like shanny but to each there own and i respect his reasons .

he isnt or never was the future of this team . simply a stop gap for the next 2 years and it's over .

the guys we should be focused on are the young players who are currently in love with the montreal canadiens .that grew up wanting to be montreal canadiens .

for some reason i dont think radek bonk grew up wanting to be a hab neither did zednick
nor bulis etc . im not knocking these guys BUT it's diffrent when you have guys like chris higgins and the johnson's and crosby's who all love the habs and dreamed to play for the habs since they were old enuff to remember .

these are the guys that care about the"CH" on the sweater and will play for more than just a pay check etc.

jack johnson the big defensmen and "sid the kid" both buddys and are big habs fans and have publicy said so . johnson said he even has habs shrine in his room

now these are guys are the future !!!! and guys we should focus on not Shannahan .with the new salary cap you never know whats goona happen with these young players

forget vincent forget gange all the boys who are from town and dont wanna play in the spot light of montreal .

Crosby and Johnson i can adopt these 2 young kids as our own very easy

when these 2 guys get there chance and there goona be bang in there primes what a glorious day it's goona be to see both these guys wearing the CH . very well could take crosby to bring the cup back to the bell province .

it's goona take a few more years of watching rookies being competive before we can make the leap of competing for the stanley cup

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 09-14-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 02:22 AM
Willis

doug you're right. THe Habs need more guys who bleed bleu blanc et rouge. A guy who grew up wanting to be a Hab and does not care about all the other stuff that comes with it. Yes its a hard place to play. But it comes with the territory. I know as an Oiler fan, we here in Edmonton treat our players like rock stars but if they mess up we are on them like you would not believe and some have even cried because of the fan treatment. Those that are here for years are guys like Smyth, and you will notice a large amount of local guys on the team. These guys dont care about the weather etc but only about being Oilers and playing for the Jersey. THe Habs need more of those guys adn I am sure with the GM and Coach combo now the team will resemble them similar to the Oilers now (I write this because I am an Oiler fan first and foremost but I am also a Habs fan as they are my second team).

Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 03:40 AM
habsforlife

thas a very nice post.

you know what? its not even a matter of who is gonna be playing for us someday but the thing is that the montreal canadiens will always be THE team of the world and im not saying this to sound over every other team. of course not all the world is behind the habs but we still are the most popular and glorious team in the league. this havnt stop even if we had to face our first bad era (the houle era) and still we have some players like johnson who loves the habs. johnson was what 6 years old when the habs won their last cup? and still there is a vast quantity of players who just follow the tradition like we do.

will they all come and play with us? i dont think so but the habs are still in their hearts and will always be. lots of people like us are undre 20 and dont remember the glory days and we are coming from everywhere. its something to be the darkhorse and cheer for the bruins when born in montreal but to be a really die hard fan like we are and be here talking about it from everywhere is something special.

the guy have been drafted by another team and is now dedicated to his team with very good reasons but still follows the habs, thats something and he is not the only one. there is a lot of players like him and there always will be because we are keeping it alive like our fathers have done. the montreal canadaiens are the team of the world in a certain kind of way and we should be very proud and thankfull for it even if its the worst place to play sometimes.

as for myself, my uncle made me love this team. so much passion for this team and its problably the same thing for you guys by someone special. this team ( not the 06-07 edition but the logo) means something special to a lot of people who are not necessary from quebec but still follows the tradition.

we would have all love to see mario with a habs jersey but it never happened and still we managed to win 2 stanley cups. the thing i mean is probably crosby will never come play with us but we still can win without him. yes, he would be a great fit, like johnson, lecavalier etc... would but still we can and we will win.

the thing i want to say is we must be proud about beeing die hard habs fans and follow the tradition and we shouldnt worry, our player will come around one day but we are a team first and a legend first. that we gotta assume.

thanks for the long read

drive for 25

habsforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 05:23 AM
Marc-E-

this was also off-ice issues for my family. It's probably a little bit of an easier cultural move

You know this is crap. You can live in Montreal without speaking a single word of french. What's the point here? Is it so tough to appreciate the difference? When you travel, the main thing is that you discover something new right? It's the main reason? Well, Boston isn't that far from Montreal (45 min. in plane or 6 hours drive)

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 08:29 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:

Isnt there an airport in Boston? Who drives in NYC anyway?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 09:03 AM
pavlako11

From our good friends at mapquest.com (driving)

Boston to New York 3 hours, 55 minutes

Boston to Montreal 5 hours, 19 minutes

If he doesn't want to make the grandparents drive an extra 1.5 hours to wear the bleu, blanc et rouge well then "WE DON'T WANT HIM HERE!"

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 09:17 AM
leafaholix*

It's because New York is a more attractive destination for players not from Quebec, especially now that they can offer up decent money and are a better team than the Habs.

leafaholix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by your_rogers_bill View Post
It's because New York is a more attractive destination for players not from Quebec, especially now that they can offer up decent money and are a better team than the Habs.

That's debateable.

09-15-2006, 09:25 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlako11 View Post
From our good friends at mapquest.com (driving)

Boston to New York 3 hours, 55 minutes

Boston to Montreal 5 hours, 19 minutes

If he doesn't want to make the grandparents drive an extra 1.5 hours to wear the bleu, blanc et rouge well then "WE DON'T WANT HIM HERE!"
You forgot the wait at the border!

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 09:28 AM
puckeater

Money, money, money...and kids. There exists lucrative endorsement deals and post playing career opportunities in the weeds for a guy like Shanny in the Big Apple. I also believe his kids would might have had to attend a french school, no? Or maybe they just didn't want to be in an environment so foreign to them. Ya know teens can be a pain in the *ss.

puckeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 12:59 PM
guapo23

If I was making an NHL salary, I would be flying the grandparents first class everywhere.

What kind of a classless millionaire makes the grandparents drive 3-5 hours to come and visit ?

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Markov79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
this was also off-ice issues for my family. It's probably a little bit of an easier cultural move

You know this is crap. You can live in Montreal without speaking a single word of french. What's the point here? Is it so tough to appreciate the difference? When you travel, the main thing is that you discover something new right? It's the main reason? Well, Boston isn't that far from Montreal (45 min. in plane or 6 hours drive)
You can but it is also important to remember that he has to worry about his wife and kids. Maybe his wife is a career woman and can't speak french. It would be hard for her to find a job. With his money she might not have to work but alot of people still like to.

Also I think it is unfair to expect a player to put up with the hassle of flying or driving six hours because we want him to play for us. He owes us nothing and decided to play closer to his wife's family. There is nothing wrong with that.

Markov79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Markov79

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckeater View Post
Money, money, money...and kids. There exists lucrative endorsement deals and post playing career opportunities in the weeds for a guy like Shanny in the Big Apple. I also believe his kids would might have had to attend a french school, no? Or maybe they just didn't want to be in an environment so foreign to them. Ya know teens can be a pain in the *ss.
I do believe because he was educated in an english school in Canada his kids could attend an english school. But all english schools put an emphasis on french immersion so maybe he just didn't want to trouble his kids with that.

Markov79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 02:40 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
That's debateable.
A lot of things are "debateable", but the fact remains that New York was one of the top ranked teams in the NHL until their late season slump.

And the fact that they have Jaromir Jagr and Henrik Lundqvist gives them the advantage over Montreal when it came to an UFA. Shanahan's on-paper linemates are Straka and Jagr.

leafaholix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Burnside_1

New York is an attractive town for anyone making this kind of money. There are no cities in north america that can rivalise with NYC in terms of cultural appeal. Add to this that you will play with Jagr almost every shift, and well the deal is pretty sealed...

Burnside_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 04:52 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:

God forbid his kids get exposed to another culture.

I think it's because he knew he would get harrassed in Montreal non-stop and in New York, hardly anyone will know who he is.

Clearly the wife wears the jockstrap in that family.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 06:30 PM
znk

hummm or...maybe it's just that it was simply the best decision for him?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 06:57 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79 View Post
I do believe because he was educated in an english school in Canada his kids could attend an english school. But all english schools put an emphasis on french immersion so maybe he just didn't want to trouble his kids with that.
Maybe he struggled with reading in school himself. What grade did he achieve?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 07:52 PM
tinyzombies

I'm glad he didn't sign here, he's old.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote