HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN: Kings Summer Report

Old
08-11-2006, 01:28 PM
David A. Rainer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
ESPN: Kings Summer Report

For those who are Insiders...

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...name=hradek_ej

08-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Homunculous

"Blake replaces Joe Corvo, who signed a free-agent deal with the Senators."

Anyone else find that good fior a larff? Well he's no Corvo, but I guess we'll just have to do with what we have...

Homunculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 05:33 PM
a99tobe

Yea I was hoping someone would post the whole article, but that has to be against ESPN's policy as it was for paing people only to read. I am happy though so thanks.
I did like how the guy said that the Kings weren't much better or worse than last year. That is a good sign although we will struggle as the rest of the Pacific besides maybe Dallas got a crap-load better. Hopefully we can sneek into a low playoff spot and pull and Edmonton this year.

Go Kings Go

a99tobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 05:41 PM
kingsfan25

Hradek said in another article in response to a fan's question that he didn't like what the Kings had done this summer.

He's pretty much reiterating it in a less direct fasgion here.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 04:47 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer View Post
With due respect who are Insiders, if you are not going to show the articles with the rest of the Kings Fans please don't even post it.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
With due respect who are Insiders, if you are not going to show the articles with the rest of the Kings Fans please don't even post it.
A better option is to quote the most interesting bits. It's only illegal if you reproduce large sections of the article.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
A better option is to quote the most interesting bits. It's only illegal if you reproduce large sections of the article.
It's illegal to reproduce any part of an online article that they charge to view and very against HF rules

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=107697

Old
08-13-2006, 09:36 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn View Post
It's illegal to reproduce any part of an online article that they charge to view and very against HF rules.
However, it is not illegal to summarize the important parts of the article in one's own words. I don't know how many are Insiders and how many aren't (I'm not), but it's more bogus than not to simply throw up a link and offer nothing regarding the article's contents, especially in an online crowd where most are likely not Insiders.

ReggieMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn View Post
It's illegal to reproduce any part of an online article that they charge to view and very against HF rules
It's not illegal; it's called "fair use." Even the link that you provided explains as much.

Old
08-13-2006, 06:48 PM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
It's not illegal; it's called "fair use." Even the link that you provided explains as much.
"Fair use" is for content that has free access on the intranet. NOT for something that is protected by passwords and pay authorizations. It is proprietary, subject to civil liability as well as federal penalties.

If I was Mike at LGK, I would look into the federal penalty schedule for such violations before I allowed that content at my website. But that's his call. I wouldn't allow any more than a sentence from it.

David A. Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
"Fair use" is for content that has free access on the intranet. NOT for something that is protected by passwords and pay authorizations. It is proprietary, subject to civil liability as well as federal penalties.

If I was Mike at LGK, I would look into the federal penalty schedule for such violations before I allowed that content at my website. But that's his call.
You some kind of a lawyer er sumthin'?

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 06:52 PM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
You some kind of a lawyer er sumthin'?
I enjoy having a life too much to be one.

Old
08-13-2006, 06:56 PM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
However, it is not illegal to summarize the important parts of the article in one's own words. I don't know how many are Insiders and how many aren't (I'm not), but it's more bogus than not to simply throw up a link and offer nothing regarding the article's contents, especially in an online crowd where most are likely not Insiders.
Ugh! Fine.

The Kings cleaned house. Fired a bunch of people. Sent some vets packing. Looking towards youth, if not this season, then in the next couple of seasons. Went towards grinding vets to help teach the youth. The Kings are no worse nor no better than they were last year. Wait a couple of years for this team to compete.

Old
08-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Most heinous news David A. Rainer, Esquire.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 07:22 PM
johnjm22

So in the article it talks about how O'sullivan disapears for long stretches during games. I've never seen him play. Any truth to this?

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Not true. "Fair use" applies to all copyrighted material, regardless of whether its published for profit or not. This includes magazines (print or online), books, newspapers, etc.

Old
08-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Captain Ron

I am going to have to side with Osprey on this one.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 08:29 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
I enjoy having a life too much to be one.
2nd guess: A hobo with an above average knowledge of the law.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 08:42 PM
ReggieMoto

I would refer everyone to this Stanford University web site and its specific FAQ on fair use: http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyrigh...pter9/9-a.html, to get an idea about what fair use is and isn't, and the rationale behind its purpose.

Frankly I'm not sure I would interpret fair use the way some of you are.

And thanks, D.A.R., for that fine summation of the article. I truly appreciate the effort and I'm sure it'll go a long way towards stimulating some interesting discussion in the thread...other than the fair use discussion, that is.

Old
08-13-2006, 08:51 PM
the_nole

talk about a thread being hijacked

the_nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I would refer everyone to this Stanford University web site and its specific FAQ on fair use: http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyrigh...pter9/9-a.html, to get an idea about what fair use is and isn't, and the rationale behind its purpose.

Frankly I'm not sure I would interpret fair use the way some of you are.

And thanks, D.A.R., for that fine summation of the article. I truly appreciate the effort and I'm sure it'll go a long way towards stimulating some interesting discussion in the thread...other than the fair use discussion, that is.
Well I am pretty sure the use of the article in this thread would fall under the...

Quote:
1. Comment and Criticism
The underlying rationale of this rule is that the public benefits from your review, which is enhanced by including some of the copyrighted material.

......category.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_nole View Post
talk about a thread being hijacked
Not really. It started with someone reproducing the entire article, an offense that got the post deleted. That sparked the discussion. Also, hardly anyone is an ESPN Insider, so there's nothing for anyone to talk about unless the few Insiders want to have a private chat amongst themselves. Without the "hijacking," there wouldn't be any replies. A "hijacked" discussion is better than no discussion, IMO.

Old
08-13-2006, 09:54 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Well I am pretty sure the use of the article in this thread would fall under the [Comment and Criticism] category.
He would have had to provide some commentary and criticism first. All he provided was a link.

I don't think it's sufficient to simply throw some quotes from an article into a thread in an effort to generate comment and/or criticism. I think the poster would have to offer the quotes in support of his or her commentary or criticism in order to qualify under fair use.

Old
08-13-2006, 09:55 PM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
Not true. "Fair use" applies to all copyrighted material, regardless of whether its published for profit or not. This includes magazines (print or online), books, newspapers, etc.
The total and complete cutting and pasting of a copyrighted and proprietary piece of written material is not fair use. There must be something added to the work by the user other than just reproducing it.

For example, excerpting portions of copyrighted material to support an argument or other written work the user is doing would be fair use. But just cut and pasting it is not fair use since nothing is being added other than the content which is cut and pasted. I could not just cut and paste ESPN articles onto my own website unless I either had permission to do so or added to the material in some. And if I add to the material, there is a threshold which must be reached in which my adding to the material is in some way furthering a deliberation and not a shrouded attempt to rob content. Further, when copyrighted material is proprietary (that is, only available upon payment of some sort of consideration), that threshold becomes even more stringent. I could not just cut and paste a McKeens scouting report into an HF profile and call it "fair use".

With that said, I did not know how many did or did not have insider access. Apparently, not many and for that I apologize.

Old
08-13-2006, 09:57 PM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
He would have had to provide some commentary and criticism first. All he provided was a link.

I don't think it's sufficient to simply throw some quotes from an article into a thread in an effort to generate comment and/or criticism. I think the poster would have to offer the quotes in support of his or her commentary or criticism in order to qualify under fair use.
Bingo.

Much less just cutting and pasting the entire article like what had been done.