HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Iginla offers

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2003, 11:10 AM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I'm not talking only about skill, I am talking contracts included and injury history. I think 1.3 million in the difference(If Philly was trying to save money) and Gomez, a player who was injured once in his life. Gagne had some serioud injury problems last year which limited him to around 48 games. Thats my opinon anyway, Gomez has been involved in more devils goals then Gagne has been for Philly.
The injury history is what makes it close.

1.3 million is not a huge difference is $$$$.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Kritty

Quote:
Iginla is a one year wonder as a star also. He is nothing more then an average first liner if you take away his 96 points season. He is in the same boat as Elias only Elias plays ina trap system.
Come on already, give credit where credit is due. Iginla is nowhere near a 1 year wonder. All you are doing is looking at his stats instead of the situation surrounding him. Look at last year. He played hurt all year long and carried the team, still managed 35 goals, 20 of those in the last 25 or so games. Oh ya, 1 year wonder. This year he'll again put up 25+ goals playing with no offensive support on a somewhat defensive team. The term 1 year wonder being put on Iginla is laughable.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
I told you then and I'll tell you again, no thanks. I liked your other offer better anyways. :p

Now hold on a sec. That package is pretty damn attractive, given Iggy's performance balanced with his contract price. We get a first line, young, CHEAP winger with good potential, a first round pick, and a steady performer in Somik. It makes sense for both teams, actually - Clarke doesn't have to give up Williams, Pitkanen, or Woywitka, and Calgary saves some bucks while getting some good young forwards in return.

Best trade offer so far.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:12 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
Come on already, give credit where credit is due. Iginla is nowhere near a 1 year wonder. All you are doing is looking at his stats instead of the situation surrounding him. Look at last year. He played hurt all year long and carried the team, still managed 35 goals, 20 of those in the last 25 or so games. Oh ya, 1 year wonder. This year he'll again put up 25+ goals playing with no offensive support on a somewhat defensive team. The term 1 year wonder being put on Iginla is laughable.
25+ goals isn't waht's expected of a $7 million man.

40+ is expected.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Kritty

Quote:
You have got to be kidding, Gagne is producing less then Gomez, is double the price. Plays on a team with loads more offensive weapons then Gomez and yet he is close to Iginla but Gomez is nowhere close.

How is a Gomez, Pihlman, 2nd, Voros package nowhere close but a Gagne, Carter, Somik package is great. You said you didn't want unproven prospects.
Gagne is a better player than Gomez, it's that simple. Gagne has seen his production increase every year up until last season when he was injured. Gomez on the other hand, is seeing his production decrease. I would take Gagne over Gomez any day of the weak. He is a more complete player with a better upside. I don't care about what he makes, I'll take him over Gomez. The fact that he plays with more offensive weapons means little to me. That means more people to get the puck to meaning less production. Look at Detroit. All kinds of offensive weapons but you don't see any big time point producers, it's spread out. Gomez needs a goal scorer to be effective as a playmaker. Unfortunately Lou hasn't realized that and continues to underutilize Gomez. And yes, Gagne is close to Iginla, while Gomez isn't. That's my opinion on it.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:17 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Now hold on a sec. That package is pretty damn attractive, given Iggy's performance balanced with his contract price. We get a first line, young, CHEAP winger with good potential, a first round pick, and a steady performer in Somik. It makes sense for both teams, actually - Clarke doesn't have to give up Williams, Pitkanen, or Woywitka, and Calgary saves some bucks while getting some good young forwards in return.

Best trade offer so far.
It makes sense for Calgary, but not for the Flyers.

#1. Flyers take on salary, when they are trying to dump $4-5 milliom

#2. Flyers would then have 4 top two line RW's (Amonte, Recchi, Williams, & Iginla) and NO top two line LW's.

Iginla isn't that much better than Gagne to make that deal. Now if you're sending Calgary's #1 back this year as well ......

Old
11-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
25+ goals isn't waht's expected of a $7 million man.

40+ is expected.
How many big contract players play up to what they should? Not a whole lot. I'll be the 1st one to say that Iginla is overpaid at $7 million. But you can't use that to callhim a 1 year wonder. 25+ goals? What are on earth are you talking about? Iginla is no 25 goal scorer, 35 at the lowest and that's on a weak offensive team. He outscores nearly all players on Philly.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:19 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame

Best trade offer so far.
Yeah but prior to that offer in our discussion, Mizral proposed Gagne, Somik, and Vandermeer. I'd rather have that. Not saying it is a likely proposal, just that that is what I was referencing to.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:24 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
How many big contract players play up to what they should? Not a whole lot. I'll be the 1st one to say that Iginla is overpaid at $7 million. But you can't use that to call him a 1 year wonder. 25+ goals? What are on earth are you talking about? Iginla is no 25 goal scorer, 35 at the lowest and that's on a weak offensive team. He outscores nearly all players on Philly.
I was never one of the ones to call him a "one year wonder.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:25 AM
Kritty

Quote:
It makes sense for Calgary, but not for the Flyers.

#1. Flyers take on salary, when they are trying to dump $4-5 milliom

#2. Flyers would then have 4 top two line RW's (Amonte, Recchi, Williams, & Iginla) and NO top two line LW's.

Iginla isn't that much better than Gagne to make that deal. Now if you're sending Calgary's #1 back this year as well ......
Oh ya, Calgary is going to send the top player in the deal along with a top 5 or top 10 pick in the draft for a lesser player, a prospect and a 3rd liner. Nice try.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:27 AM
Kritty

Quote:
I was never one of the ones to call him a "one year wonder.
Calling Iginla a 25+ goal player pretty much insinuates that he's a 1 year wonder. 25+ goals is a 2nd, maybe 1st line player, that is a huge injustice to Iginla.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:28 AM
Kritty

Quote:
You talk about Gomez's point totals going down, what do you call Iginla, 96 to 67 to whats this year, maybe closer to 60 by the end of the year. Iginla is very comparable to Elias. Both offensive players, still young and both had one great season along with a couple good ones and a bad season. If someone offered me Gagne, Carter anda pick for Elias I would go running away with that one. The fact Elias adn Iginla's trade value are similar should be telling you what to do with that philly trade. Iginla would probably get a little less then Elias becasue of his contract. 7.5 vs 4.9
I'm not even going to bother with this anymore, it's like running into a brick wall. I'm just wasting my writing.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:29 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Oh ya, Calgary is going to send the top player in the deal along with a top 5 or top 10 pick in the draft for a lesser player, a prospect and a 3rd liner. Nice try.

well that's Flyers fans feel about the original deal

Old
11-14-2003, 11:31 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Calling Iginla a 25+ goal player pretty much insinuates that he's a 1 year wonder. 25+ goals is a 2nd, maybe 1st line player, that is a huge injustice to Iginla.

The "25+" was a direct quote from your post.

He's more than that, but he's also overpaid at $7 million, which brings his price down a bit.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:46 AM
looooob

Quote:
Iginla is a one year wonder as a star also. He is nothing more then an average first liner if you take away his 96 points season. He is in the same boat as Elias only Elias plays ina trap system.
whereas Iginla has played in one high flying system after another with world class linemates?

Old
11-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfanont
You got one thing right bud, Modano is in a different league then Iggy, a lower one.
Classic..

*takes mental picture*

Old
11-14-2003, 01:33 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Because I am right, you say one thing about one player then don't use that same statment for your own. Iginla's point totals are droping really fast. Right now he is on pace for 49 points, and he is playing healthy. I expect his numbers to be closer to 60 but not much higher. You can say Iginla doesn't have a supposrting cast. Calgary has scored 31 goals, thats 4 less then NJ, just NJ plays good defense. Elias is producing at a higher rate now and by the end of the year they shoudl be similar. Don't use that supporting cast excuse. Anything else you want to point out to me because you are in one hell of a hole.
Are you trying to say that

Conroy, Reinprecht, McAmmond, Gelinas, Lombardi, Kobasew, Saprykin
is a better supporting cast than...
Friesen, Gomez, Langenbrunner, Madden, Brylin, Gionta, Rafalski, Niedermayer?

Are you sure you're not in the hole right now? Not to mention that Elias had the likes of Sykora, Nieudwendyk, Mogilny, etc. as a supporting cast in previous years. Iginla on the other hand, had Savard and Stillman -- but not much else.

You still don't seem to be applying the same principle evenly, and you're being unfair to Iginla.

Old
11-14-2003, 01:36 PM
kolanos

Quote:
The "25+" was a direct quote from your post.

He's more than that, but he's also overpaid at $7 million, which brings his price down a bit.
Iginla can score 25 goals in damn near 20 games (did so last year). Good thing that + sign is there, but even so it is misleading. He has been a 35+ goal scorer the past few years.

Old
11-14-2003, 02:12 PM
flamesfanont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Classic..

*takes mental picture*
Here's a picture for you

Modano this year: 16GP 4G 4A 8P -14 +/- playing with Guerin and Arnott.
Iginla this year: 15GP 4G 5A 9P +1 +/- playing with Conroy and some other 3rd line winger. But Modano is so much better right? Like I said, crawl back under your rock!

Old
11-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfanont
Here's a picture for you

Modano this year: 16GP 4G 4A 8P -14 +/- playing with Guerin and Arnott.
Iginla this year: 15GP 4G 5A 9P +1 +/- playing with Conroy and some other 3rd line winger. But Modano is so much better right? Like I said, crawl back under your rock!

Modano is a top 5 player in this league, plain and simple. Iginla isn't even close to Modano. You can't compare Modano's worst start ever to an average Iginla start. Compare their careers and that will tell you who's better.

Old
11-14-2003, 02:36 PM
Cain

Quote:
Modano is having alot of personal problesm losing money. There is no doubt in my mind that Modano is twice the player Iginla is overall. Lang has more points then Iginla this year, does that make him better?

Devils have alot of household names but none of them are scoring, so that is the supporting cast. The fact is Calgary's supporting cast are scoring close to the same amount of goals as NJ's, just NJ's are better defensivly and we win that way.
Awww, say it ain't so! Losing money! Poor guy...I fully understand why that gives him the ability to manage less points than iginla and still be twice the player. Sound reasoning that.

Old
11-14-2003, 02:42 PM
flamesfanont

Quote:
Modano is having alot of personal problesm losing money. There is no doubt in my mind that Modano is twice the player Iginla is overall. Lang has more points then Iginla this year, does that make him better?

Devils have alot of household names but none of them are scoring, so that is the supporting cast. The fact is Calgary's supporting cast are scoring close to the same amount of goals as NJ's, just NJ's are better defensivly and we win that way.
Yup, Modano is twice the player Iggy is. Modano is all about offense, Iggy takes care of his own end. When was the last time Modano fought? Better yet playing on a stacked Stars team how many scoring titles does Mike Modano have? Wow, and here I thought he would have at least 10 by now seeing how he is twice the player Iginla is overall. I'm not even going to bother anymore on here because nothings changed at HF, half the posters still have their heads stuck directly up their bungholes!

Old
11-14-2003, 02:55 PM
Cain

Quote:
You did not just question Modano's defense, please tell me you didn't. Modano is 100 times the defensive player Iginla is. Modano was nominated for the Selke a couple times in his career I think. Iginla if anything is average at best in his own zone. You are a HOMER, anyone who thinks Iginla's better defensivly then Modano is eith a HOMER or a nascar fan.
And if you think that Modano is twice overall the player that Iginla is, you are just plain out to lunch. (or a nascar fan)

Old
11-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
You did not just question Modano's defense, please tell me you didn't. Modano is 100 times the defensive player Iginla is. Modano was nominated for the Selke a couple times in his career I think. Iginla if anything is average at best in his own zone. You are a HOMER, anyone who thinks Iginla's better defensivly then Modano is eith a HOMER or a nascar fan.

Thank you. Now I don't have to type all of that!

Old
11-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Cain

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy

Thank you. Now I don't have to type all of that!
Modano sure does have a nice +/- stat so far this year doesn't he? The worst forward +/- on the stars by a fair margin modano?

(I do like modano, don't get me wrong. But bad year to start praising his defence.)

Closed Thread