HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Iginla offers

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2003, 03:03 PM
Cain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
You guys want stats....here is the stats

Modano:
2002-03 - 85 points +34
2001-02 - 77 points +14
2000-01 - 84 points +26
1999-00 - 81 points 0
1998-99 - 81 points +29

Iginla:
2002-03 - 67 points -10
2001-02 - 96 points +27
2000-01 - 71 points -2
1999-00 - 63 points 0
1998-99 - 51 points +1
Another nice stat is modano as -14 so far this year.

Iginla steadily improved til his breakout year, then was injured last year. Those stats are misleading, they focus on before iginla broke out.

Old
11-14-2003, 03:04 PM
Cain

Quote:
Modano has been playing bad, Iginla would too if he lost around 6 million dollars, he has other things on his mind.
Aww, he lost 6 million dollars? Cry me a river. Unfortunate, but how many millions do you need?

So HE gets an excuse for playing bad, but Iginla does not? The injury last year sure isn't as good as 'losing money' either I guess.

Old
11-14-2003, 06:08 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Cain, how old are you, 14, thats the way you are arguing here.

Anyway, A fellow devils fan brough up the Doug Weight trade to St Louis. Weight at the time was Edmonton's captain, team scoring leader 6 of 7 years. He was traded to Stlouis for Jochen Hecht, Marty Reasoner and Jan Horacek. At the time Reasoner was nothing special, just a 4th liner, Hecht was a 3rd liner and Horacek was a injured dmen who was playing in the AHL. Iginla is younger then Weight at that time, and his contract will be 2 million less but as you see, small market teams never have the upper hand in these situations.
Quebec - Lindros = Forsberg
Vancouver - Bure = Jovanovski
Ottawa - Yashin = Chara + Spezza

Just because the Oilers got screwed, doesn't mean the Flames will. You have a very narrow-minded viewpoint here and it doesn't hold any water.

Old
11-14-2003, 07:29 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
1- Cumon flames fans wake up !!
Modano is better than Iginla ... (offensiveley and defensively)
But ! Iggy is way more physical ... end of the story ...

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

2-
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
My assessment on the Habs will be the follow, even if the Habs can get Ovechkin, they still would not be a top team in the near future. For example it took IIya Kovalchuk 3 years to establish himself as a more complete player in the sense that he can at less be solid when his offence is lacking. i will assume Overchkin will go through similar development, and by that time Theodore contract will be expired and become UFA and who knows what will happen then. With Theodore, Iginla, and Souray, you are having 3 core players who are under the same age group. i really don't think Gainey has a problem with trading Komo given the return is good, but i don't think Gainey will be willing to trade the first round pick though.
I disagree, Montreal need to rebuild completely our team(except our goalies), Komisarek is a big part of that and I don't think we have to trade away our prospects to land a player like Iginla (7.5m$, CBA coming) and then pray to have a good team the next week ... we NEED to rebuild completely before making any silly trade ... Currently we have a great goalie duo in Theo and Garon we have a not that bad core of defensemen .. with Souray,Markov,Hainsey and Komisarek(we still need two good young defensemens or keep Brisebois,Rivet and pray that they can play to their $$ value..) .. In offense we have a core of koivu(1st liner) zednik(expendable... but good 2nd liner) bulis(very good 3rd liner) the rest are bunch of crap (except our young players) or 4th liner ...
so we dont just need a good 1st liner a la Iginla but to develop 3-4 good top lines players.. and I think we have good projects in Perezhogin, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Hossa ..+ If u add to that Ovechkin(or any good 2004 draft player) ... I think we are a better team than with Iggy...
and after that .. when we can compete with the best teams .. we try to adjust our team to win the cups.. just like the Avs, the Sens, the philly, the stars, etc.. are doing now.
If we don't follow this (by trading young players for big stars) we could turn like the Rags or the panthers ...
So, I still think that our team need to rebuild 1st !! and then adjust ...
just my 2 cents. .

Old
11-14-2003, 08:14 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy

Thank you. Now I don't have to type all of that!
I second that emotion. Modano will go down in history as one of the greatest US-born players ever, if the THE best. Hes a fantastic skater, an elite defensive talent, passes like oates, and scores like bure. Hes off to a bad start, but sakic was off to a bad start too and he picked it up. I'm sure Modano will too. Oh and by the way, Demitra has imo, equal trade value with Iginla because hes paid 3.5 mil less. Please don't take this as a knock on Iginla because I consider him an elite talent as well. Demitra just gets too little respect though.

Old
11-14-2003, 09:31 PM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
[QUOTE=Kryoptix]1- Cumon flames fans wake up !!
Modano is better than Iginla ... (offensiveley and defensively)
But ! Iggy is way more physical ... end of the story ...QUOTE]

You try and get iggy to hit modano. it is almost impossible to hit him beacuse of that lightning speed. that is just another asset to his game, but i imagine iggy is a better fighter, just ask bill guerin

Old
11-14-2003, 09:33 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
Another nice stat is modano as -14 so far this year.

Iginla steadily improved til his breakout year, then was injured last year. Those stats are misleading, they focus on before iginla broke out.
the modano's - is a littlemisleading too, dallas has sucked as a whole on top of modano's woes..

Old
11-14-2003, 09:45 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

OMG, you Flame fans are the worst..

First of all get your *** facts straight, Modano plays with Steve Ott and one of Scott Young and Rob DiMaio. Secondly.. oh hell, I'm not even going to bother. Modano is superior, let's just leave it at that.

Old
11-14-2003, 09:52 PM
Cain

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box
the modano's - is a littlemisleading too, dallas has sucked as a whole on top of modano's woes..
Oh I know it is equally misleading pointing to modano's +/-. I really do agree modano is a lot better than that. I also think that modano on the whole is better than iginla. No arguments there. Twice as good? No.

I argue like a 14 year old? Does that mean you can't refute anything I said?

Modano is having a poor start, but its ok because he has 'money problems' and is twice the player. Iginla had a bad year last year due to injuries, but lets just gloss over that and pretend he never had any, he just had a bad year. Sounds like an unbiased comparison doesn't it jason?

Also andora, maybe the points iginla is pulling in is also misleading...god knows the flames have sucked when it comes to scoring...and iginla is tied for the lead offensively for the flames...

Old
11-14-2003, 10:35 PM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
OMG, you Flame fans are the worst..

First of all get your *** facts straight, Modano plays with Steve Ott and one of Scott Young and Rob DiMaio. Secondly.. oh hell, I'm not even going to bother. Modano is superior, let's just leave it at that.
I call bullsh!t,put Modano on the Flames team and he would be ordinary,IMO Iginla has and can dominate games without much help...Modano looks great but only with quality teammates for the most part.

When Iginla is on his "A" game he simpley can't be stopped because of strength,heart and a great shot..Modano can be because he needs his teammates.

Old
11-14-2003, 10:48 PM
Ozy_Flame

Modano has proven much more than Iginla ever has. I'd take a young, cheap Modano over a young, cheap Iginla nine times out of ten.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:00 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
right..

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
I call bullsh!t,put Modano on the Flames team and he would be ordinary
Like Iginla so far this season, and most of last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
,IMO Iginla has and can dominate games without much help.
How many times have we seen it so far this season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
...Modano looks great but only with quality teammates for the most part.
I still can't believe you're dogging one of the most consistent offensive forwards in the NHL today. Dominant at =both= ends of the ice during his entire career. The only thing Iggy can hang his hat on is one elite season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
When Iginla is on his "A" game he simpley can't be stopped because of strength,heart and a great shot..
When Yashin is on his 'A' game, he can't be stopped either. Iginla is far from consistently on his 'A' game.
How many times have we seen it this year? zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Modano can be because he needs his teammates.
Prove it. Tell us Why.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:17 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
I call bullsh!t,put Modano on the Flames team and he would be ordinary,IMO Iginla has and can dominate games without much help...Modano looks great but only with quality teammates for the most part.

When Iginla is on his "A" game he simpley can't be stopped because of strength,heart and a great shot..Modano can be because he needs his teammates.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:40 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Modano has proven much more than Iginla ever has. I'd take a young, cheap Modano over a young, cheap Iginla nine times out of ten.

respect for not getting caught up in Iginla fever. Jesuschrist

Old
11-15-2003, 12:02 AM
Cain

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
respect for not getting caught up in Iginla fever. Jesuschrist
Does thinking that modano is the better player but not twice iginla count? Seems like the minority of flames fans here are arguing that he is better than modano...

Old
11-15-2003, 01:00 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
I gotta say I cannot quite see the cropping beauty of that banana humping that pickle. Or do I have a sick twisted mind?

Old
11-15-2003, 06:03 AM
Cain

Quote:
Modano is far superior to Iginla, twice the player is an expression for being totaly dominant. Modano IMO is alot better offensivly, defensively, faster, more consistent, and harder to check. The only thing Iginla has over Modano is a sometimes accurate hard shot, and he can fight, which means absolutly nothing becasue he shouldn't be fighitng, he is more valuable on the ice then in the box.
Better player sure, but not far superior. Not totally dominant.

And iginla fighting sure isn't a positive, teams hate to have players that show that kind of emotion and try to get their team going when other ways fail.

Modano is better than iginla, but you make it out to be something like Brodeur versus McClennan.

Old
11-15-2003, 07:58 AM
bertld

This is the way I look at it. If iginla is so bad and the other teams fans are ragging on him (I have even seen in this thread that he is an average 2nd liner) why do you want him. You could easily pick up a $1 mill average third liner.

Just a second I know the answer to that one.....wait for it.....Cause he isn't an average second liner or an average 1st liner he is a good solid all round player with 35 goal capability year in and year out. If you didn't honestly believe that was the case you wouldn't want him on your team. You probably hope that he can rekindle the magic and be the 40 or 50+ goal scorer that he can be.

It is disingenous of you to on one hand say you want him and on the other say he isn't good enough to be an effective player on your team.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:14 AM
Winston Wolf

Nobody's saying that they don't want Iginla on their team, it's just that Modano really is a much better player than Iginla. That's not taking anything away from Iginla, it's just that Modano is probably a top 5 player in this league, while Iginla is around top 15-20.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:33 AM
kolanos

This Modano vs. Iginla debate is pretty useless, one guy is still in the first half of his career and the other is nearing the end -- hardly a fair comparison, especially when the foundation of your arguement is that "Modano has proven more". No kidding he has proven more, he's had seven more years to do it! Seven years of his prime no doubt, whereas Iginla still has yet to enter his prime.

Both Iginla and Modano are elite players in this league, and both are stars. Why do we feel like we need to cut one down to size? Can't we just accept that these are two great players and leave it at that?

To say that Modano was a great defensive player throughout his career would be a lie, he didn't become a Selke calibre player until he played for Hitchcock. Before that he was almost all about offense, which he did quite well -- but like Iginla, only has one 50 goal season to his credit. Modano is undoubtedly better than Iginla defensively, but that is not to say that Iginla doesn't play hard in his own end.

One thing really makes Iginla and Modano different is the way they handle the physical game -- Iginla only gets stronger, some games where he's fought have been some of his best offensive productions, he seems to draw energy from it and while he's a nice guy everywhere else -- he has a mean streak on the ice. Modano on the other hand seems to be vulnerable to the physical game, he's definately strong on the puck in most situations, but put him up against a physical defenseman who isn't holding back and you'll see him revert to a perimeter player and only really go in deep when he sees his opportunity.

Iginla seems to be better suited for the modern game, and is definately more of a power forward type -- which again makes comparing these two a pointless endeavor.

Old
11-15-2003, 11:17 AM
andora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
Oh I know it is equally misleading pointing to modano's +/-. I really do agree modano is a lot better than that. I also think that modano on the whole is better than iginla. No arguments there. Twice as good? No.

I argue like a 14 year old? Does that mean you can't refute anything I said?

Modano is having a poor start, but its ok because he has 'money problems' and is twice the player. Iginla had a bad year last year due to injuries, but lets just gloss over that and pretend he never had any, he just had a bad year. Sounds like an unbiased comparison doesn't it jason?

Also andora, maybe the points iginla is pulling in is also misleading...god knows the flames have sucked when it comes to scoring...and iginla is tied for the lead offensively for the flames...
it just bitters me when stats are manipulated in any arguments.. plus minus is labelled useless in one thred, but then is brought into an argument to prove a point in a different thread..

modano has had a bad start, dallas has not looked good as a whole, both are aided by each other as well.. it isn't all modano's fault

Old
11-15-2003, 11:18 AM
andora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I gotta say I cannot quite see the cropping beauty of that banana humping that pickle. Or do I have a sick twisted mind?
oops.. i just haven't fixed that little text bit.. *opens profile*..

nice eye :p

:edit:.. it's not a pickle, it's some sort of queer green llama type animal.. nevertheless, bananaman is impressed with his new ride..

Old
11-15-2003, 11:38 AM
evman150*

Quote:
oops.. i just haven't fixed that little text bit.. *opens profile*..

nice eye :p

:edit:.. it's not a pickle, it's some sort of queer green llama type animal.. nevertheless, bananaman is impressed with his new ride..
Taking a break from the DB avatars eh? Me too, but I'm sure I'll have a new one on soon enough.

Old
11-15-2003, 11:54 AM
MVP

It is reported that by New York Post, there could be a potential deal between Devils and Flames with Iginla and Gomez being involved. http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/42674.htm

Old
11-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Mizral

John, or any other Flyers fan:

I am of the opinion that Mark Recchi is the best player on the Flyers, nevermind of the forwards. I've noticed he's been playing Right Wing, Centre, and Left Wing from game to game - in other words, all forward positions. Which do you guys feel he is the most effective at?

I believe it's when he's been at left wing, the Flyers' top line has truely exploded, is it not?

Closed Thread