HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

So What's Next?

View Poll Results: What's Next?
Leave Room for the kids to make the team 37 75.51%
Trade xxx and xxx to get us a Top Center 9 18.37%
Sign FA Top 6 finisher !!! 0 0%
More Czechs Please 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-11-2006, 08:39 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
So What's Next?

Are we ready for Camp?

Leave room for the prospects?

Wrestle a top Center from somewhere?

Another finishing forward?

What do Renny and Maloneyslats have up their sleeve?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 01:19 AM
eco's bones

He's probably got a move or two--maybe minor ones. We're pretty much ready for training camp.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 01:57 AM
Pizza

Meant to hit "the kids" button but hit the "xxx" button by mistake.

Unless something unexpected happens I think we're set for the time being. I'd like to see the next move dictated by the kids doing well and focing mangement to promote them.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 05:21 AM
Fletch

They're ready...

realistically, unless you count the fourth line, there's about one slot open to start camp. So it's not like there's many holes. You can always question if the Rangers have the right players, but that's an entirely different debate and considering how there are so many new faces, I'm guessing management thinks they have the right people. Having said that, there's always room for improvement and we, and perhaps even Sather, do not know what the future may bring (i.e., a GM calling suggesting someone is available that the Rangers could benefit from acquiring). So, they're ready to go, but things can definitely change.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 06:59 AM
shoothepuck

Ready for camp, but Sather may have one more move.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 08:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
He's probably got a move or two--maybe minor ones. We're pretty much ready for training camp.

I agree. There really isn't a top six finisher out there to sign and I can't see the Rangers being able to get at top center from anyone right now.

08-12-2006, 09:06 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Pretty much agree with the other posters so far. The team needs to get a top C at some point, but I think our prospects need to progress a bit more to acquire value and, more importantly, a top C needs to become available.

We're set for now. Later, we may see some minor moves in training camp, but I don't think anything major happens until Christmas at the earliest - if then.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Fletch

BrooklynRF...

I agree about the center (and thought that was a position that should've been targeted in the UFA market), but I think at this point there's enough depth all around to fill in the position. The second line center position is really in question. If it's not Immonen, it's easily Cullen. If the third is not Immonen and the second is Cullen, then the third is Betts, who did it last season. And when he went down, the team did fine as Ward, at times, showed he can play there and Hall too can play there. I'm sure there's a fourth line centerman, even if it's Hollweg, who can play center, within the system. Not perfect, but there are a lot of scenarios for centermen. While there's no way of knowing what player may become available, with the quality of wingers and goaltending, this team hopefully can afford to see what it has at center, at least in the first couple months, prior to making a move.

Old
08-12-2006, 09:24 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I agree about the center (and thought that was a position that should've been targeted in the UFA market), but I think at this point there's enough depth all around to fill in the position. The second line center position is really in question. If it's not Immonen, it's easily Cullen. If the third is not Immonen and the second is Cullen, then the third is Betts, who did it last season. And when he went down, the team did fine as Ward, at times, showed he can play there and Hall too can play there. I'm sure there's a fourth line centerman, even if it's Hollweg, who can play center, within the system. Not perfect, but there are a lot of scenarios for centermen. While there's no way of knowing what player may become available, with the quality of wingers and goaltending, this team hopefully can afford to see what it has at center, at least in the first couple months, prior to making a move.
Oh, no question. My point was more about the overall development of the team in the long run. I actually think we can win one or more rounds in the playoffs as currently contsructed (or with minor tweaking). In order to win the cup at one point (and certainly to be a perennial contender), however, I think we need that dominant 1st line center.

Not sure how we're going to get one as of right now (unless Dubi continues to pile surprise on top of surprise or Anisimov hits the top 10-20% of his potential), but at some point I think Slats/Maloney are hoping to play SJ's role in a Thornton dump or to snag someone with a max contract in free agency. Although I can't identify who will be available through either scenario any time soon.

Perhaps a more likely scenario is that we trade some of our stud prospects on D/in goal for a stud C prospect who has yet to actually break out at the pro level. But again, I'm not sure exactly who that guy would be as of right now. And I think that our stud prospects need to show another level of development to increase their value in order to facilitate such a deal, which is what I was referring to in my original post.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Fletch

It's a decision..

that hopefully will be made a bit later in the season, hopefully, which means the Rangers need to come out of the gates like they did last season, which means a lot of Jagr, and a lot of Shanahan most likely.

Old
08-12-2006, 09:44 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The Rangers have some options.

First of all they have some depth at D and, from what has been said publicly, appear willing to take a step back to take three steps forward perhap next year etc.

The Rangers could deal some of their D for a top center this year.

I'll have to take a look, but this year was the year of the D man in UFA . There wasn't a standout have to have Center. They could be eyeing a center in next years UFA.

Anything is possible. Shhhesh when I think of what Boston got back for Joe Thorton.

Old
08-12-2006, 10:17 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I think the Rangers will see what they have in camp, see what's available from other teams at the end of the pre-season and move accordingly. Truth be told, I'd LOVE to see Dubinsky impress the staff enough to become a viable option for 2nd line center at some point during the season. And, what I'd ideally like to see at some point is a lineup as follows:

Prucha/Nylander/Jagr
Shanny/Dubi/Hall or Ward
Dawes/Cullen/Ward or Hall
Hollweg/Betts/Moore

My insertion of Prucha would be the likelihood of Straka avoiding the injury bug two years in a row.

I'd also love to see Baranka take enough of a step forward during the season and force management to move some like Rozsival or Malik to make space.

(Note: this is not what I see happening; rather, it's what I'd like to see happen.)

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 10:27 AM
WheresBarnaby

Cycleandshoot, you should expand the pole to include stay where we are. That's my vote. I think we look pretty good for this coming season.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:06 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I think we all would like nothing more than some prospects Dubi, Dawes, Staal to be so INCREDIBLE in camp that they can not be denied a shot at the NHL this season....what could be better, short of extorting Malkin from Pittsburgh.

I think option one in the poll includes...let's go with what we have. The kids are ours, part of our depth. A healthy competitive atmoshpere where there IS a little room for players from the Pack to set their sites on during the summer is VERY Important.

Old
08-12-2006, 11:24 AM
eco's bones

Hollweg, Ortmeyer, Betts, Hossa and Orr are hardly locks. There is a possibility that we'll a lose a player or two in the waiver draft and/or pick one up. I don't think we can count out players like Helminen or Greg Moore altogether. Hossa for one has a lot to prove if he wants to stay because he's decent defensively but not really the type of player we should have on the 3rd or 4th line. Orr has to prove he can really skate his wing otherwise we're only keeping him around to be our Eric Godard. I'd be surprised if his skating has improved that much.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:52 AM
True Blue

Quote:
I'm sure there's a fourth line centerman, even if it's Hollweg, who can play center, within the system.
Ahem...Helminen

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:55 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
I think we all would like nothing more than some prospects Dubi, Dawes, Staal to be so INCREDIBLE in camp that they can not be denied a shot at the NHL this season
I think that it would require more than that. An outstanding camp AND an injury to one of the current projected starters is what would allow for any of those 3 to make the team. Short of an injury to a vet, I do not think it matters how strong of a camp they have this year.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 04:36 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I think that it would require more than that. An outstanding camp AND an injury to one of the current projected starters is what would allow for any of those 3 to make the team. Short of an injury to a vet, I do not think it matters how strong of a camp they have this year.

Yes I agree....but I am banking these guys will be the answer rather than looking outside the club should Fortuna send us need.

Old
08-12-2006, 04:42 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Hollweg, Ortmeyer, Betts, Hossa and Orr are hardly locks. There is a possibility that we'll a lose a player or two in the waiver draft and/or pick one up. I don't think we can count out players like Helminen or Greg Moore altogether. Hossa for one has a lot to prove if he wants to stay because he's decent defensively but not really the type of player we should have on the 3rd or 4th line. Orr has to prove he can really skate his wing otherwise we're only keeping him around to be our Eric Godard. I'd be surprised if his skating has improved that much.
What waiver draft?With the new CBA,there is no waiver draft

Quote:
WAIVER DRAFT

Will there continue to be a Waiver Draft?

The CBA does not provide for the continuation of the Waiver Draft
http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/index.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 04:31 AM
NYRchick

The Rangers are far from a finished product.I'm sure Sather's out there looking to make improvements if he can,but he won't shy away from giving some of the kids the chance to impress in camp.

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:17 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Dare I say I have a new found trust in the Rangers Office.

Maloneyslats rising