HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Expect a Tkachuk suspension soon...

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2003, 11:06 PM
aylib
User and abuser

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer
50% of the penaltys on the Blues this season have been total non-calls, another 20% borderline... those are facts!
Provide the link please.

Old
11-13-2003, 11:08 PM
enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Bolt Fan
i am just a soft F#%$$#^%# euro

true.

Now I dont have more time to waste on you clueless people...

Gonatt!

Old
11-14-2003, 12:24 AM
DrHockeyMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
I'm beginning to dislike St. Louis the more I watch. Lot's of their "stars" seem to be copping attitudes / having no discipline on the ice. Big money team with big attitude and no Cups to back it up. At least Detroit has that much.
Aw.. an LA Kings fan dissing the Blues for an on-ice situation. It seems to me that with a woman-beater and another guy guilty of assault on your team, I wouldn't be commenting on the Blues. At least the Blues players keep it on the ice..

Old
11-14-2003, 01:02 AM
Hecht

I think he'll get more than 5 games because he's a repeat offender and the lock down on slashing/cross-checking it's for his own good..

and yes, I'm a blues fan

Old
11-14-2003, 02:45 AM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
honestly I could careless if he gets suspended, he did the deed and should be suspended for it... now as long as the Blues keep winning

Old
11-14-2003, 03:12 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntsplatter
Davison isn't the diving kind of player, he plays with an edge, is physical fights etc. (didn't Pronger used to fight? he looked like Yertle when Thornton went after him tonight for that cheap shot elbow) You might be able to say that about some of the Sharks, but I don't think Davison was hamming it up. It was a stick to the face after the whistle, from a player with a history, they are gonna see it, I believe rightly, as an intent to injure. Whether he injured him enough to miss a shift or not the intent was there.
And how exactly did you determine this? You clearly didn't watch the replay very closely. Tkachuk's stick was headed straight for the guy's midsection and that's where it would have landed had the guy not knocked Tkachuk's stick up. Is that still a crosscheck to the face? Yes, it certainly is which is why he deserved his penalty. However, to say there was intent when the stick was clearly going towards his body is absolutely ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
Ahh how fast people come to defend their own players. Tkachuk is an idiot, always has been. Dirty and doesn't give a lick about anyone's safety.

Honestly, what was the Shark player supposed to do? ANYONE that has played hockey, or has some sort of sense of self-preservation, would have tried to block Tkachuk's AFTER THE WHISTLE cross-check. Tkachuk has shown exactly what kind of player he is on countless occasions. He uses his stick to "defend" himself all the time. Big surprise that he ends up hurting people fairly regularly. Yah right. If Tkachuk wants to avoid suspensions-stop using your stick to hurt people!!!! It's really not complicated.

The Blues have their rep for a damn good reason.
You can criticize me and others for defending our own players, but it's no different that people like you that are hear posting an opinion on something for no other reason than a different bias. Why are you posting your opinion on something you didn't even see? You obviously disklike Tkachuk and that is the ONLY reason why you even posted in this thread.

Quote:
What for?? To see that they committ less penalties? Oh I forgot, the refs are all against the mighty Blues...
Once again, you obviously did not watch the game last night. Even the San Jose announcers were complaining about how bad the refs were and that the calls easily favored St. Louis. Quit wasting everyone's time posting about something you didn't even see.

Old
11-14-2003, 03:52 AM
PecaFan

Ok, just saw the replay. Not as severe as Weight, a little more than Allen's because it was at the head/throat area, and after the whistle. It's not what I'd call viscious, he certainly didn't drive him with everything he had. I'd give him two to three games.

You have to really stretch things to say he was aiming for the midsection, but the victim pulled the hit up 2 feet.

Old
11-14-2003, 04:00 AM
Sanderson

Every time you attack a guy after the whistle it is an attempt to harm him. It doesn't matter where you are trying to hit him, only that you go after him.

If someone is too stupid to understand that you don't attack players from behind between play, then he has to be punished.

Old
11-14-2003, 04:11 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson
Every time you attack a guy after the whistle it is an attempt to harm him. It doesn't matter where you are trying to hit him, only that you go after him.

If someone is too stupid to understand that you don't attack players from behind between play, then he has to be punished.
Have you ever watched a hockey game in your life? No less than a dozen times a game players go after each other well after whistles.

Old
11-14-2003, 04:13 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Ok, just saw the replay. Not as severe as Weight, a little more than Allen's because it was at the head/throat area, and after the whistle. It's not what I'd call viscious, he certainly didn't drive him with everything he had. I'd give him two to three games.

You have to really stretch things to say he was aiming for the midsection, but the victim pulled the hit up 2 feet.
If you go down 2 free from where the stick landed.. you'd be getting pretty close to his midsection... it was't exactly his gut, but it wasn't exactly his chest either... bottom of the ribs would probably be the best way to describe it.

Old
11-14-2003, 05:25 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Total ******** the Sharks are just another team full of diving pansys!
so were the Blues last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
Kill Whitey...err, I mean, Go Blues.

Quote:
Tonight's game was highly entertaining though and I came away with a new found respect for Danton after tonight. His performance tonight was stellar; when he wants to play hockey, the guy can do so.
I have as well. Boy can the guy fly! Did anyone see him streak through the neutral zone in OT. Holy crap......I never knew he was that fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Bolt Fan
Those are NOT the laws that are in effect currently If you watched playoff last year you would know this and I was willing to bet a fortune on NO GOAL when i saw the replay since the net was clearly not in 100% correct position when the puck went in
Your exactly right. After last years playoffs, the NHL set a precedent that they cannot allow a goal if the net is even slightly off its moorings. There is no doubt in my mind that Nicklaus had a goal, but since the net was off slightly, the goal is negated. I knew they were going to disallow it as soon as they started reviewing it. The Sharks received a gift, but it was a gift given to them by the NHL rulebook.

Quote:
Yeah, what does your posts have to do with anything..? Look around a little and you'll see that the Blues are one of the cleanest teams in the league!
Your absolutely, positively, wrong.

Quote:
the refs suck so those stats doesnt tell the truth.
Are you in denial??? Seriously, take off your homer glasses.

Quote:
50% of the penaltys on the Blues this season have been total non-calls, another 20% borderline... those are facts!
Seriously, just the fact that you label this as fact, totally labels you as a complete homer. Sure officiating blows in the NHL, but not to the effect that you are implying. Also, the Blues are defnitely not singled out. In fact, I would venture that they catch more breaks from the officials due to the caliber of players they have on their team.

Here is my take on the situation. Tkachuk deliberately went after Davison with his stick, after the play was over. YOU CANNOT DO THAT. Yes the play looked to be embellished to me. The guy dropped like a rock, and didn't move for about 3 minutes, and the hit just looked incredibly weak. Still, dive or not, Tkachuck cannot be excused for the idiocy that he displayed. This guy has to be held accountable for his actions. Past suspensions have done nothing to curb this guys temper. If he could learn to use his fist, instead of his stick, then we wouldn't be having this debate. However, countless times, he uses the stick. Knowing this, I think he should receive a suspension in the realm of 5 - 10 games. If the NHL is really serious on cracking down on intent to injure and stick hits, then they have to make an example out of Kieth. Furthermore, it is most likely in the best interest of the Blues for Kieth to be handed the suspension. The guy needs to learn that what he is doing is wrong, and that he has to stop (otherwise, he is going to frequently miss large stretches of the season). So far the puny suspensions have done nothing to curb his ire, hopefully a stricter one will.

Old
11-14-2003, 06:08 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
You're right degroat; I either didn't watch it close or I don't understand the sport. Do you have to try and explain away every stupid thing Tkachuk does with his stick? Played hockey before? I assume so and if so, when a guy comes at you after the whistle looking to crosscheck you wherever, you generally get your hands (or normally your stick except that Davison didn't have a stick) in the way of the other guy's stick. If Tkachuk had just showed a minute amount of discipline, he wouldn't have even gone towards Davison to crosscheck him. Play was over; turn your cheek and skate to the bench. No way am I going to agree with you putting the blame on Davison for protecting himself.

And for the record, that was one hell of a hockey game. Boring hockey my ass. Some people just watch boring teams I guess.
After the whistle a player should NEVER use their stick for anything. In fact, I see no problem with issuing an automatic minor ala highsticks for any stickwork that's clearly after the play. No crosschecking, no slashing another players stick, nothing. Players want to scrum after a whistle they should have to use their mits.

Old
11-14-2003, 06:25 AM
nuksforlife

Send a message via MSN to nuksforlife
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
1. If a "push inthe chest witht he stick" is the same thing as a cross check to you, then you need to pick up a new sport. They are two complete different things. One involves acceleration of the stick before the stick makes contact with the body. The other is acceleration of the stick once it is against the body. You really should try playing the game some time. It's fun.

2. Whether or not Tkachuk is known for the stuff or not is irrlevent. My comment about the "push in the chest BS" was about this instance. Clearly, from your comments you didn't see the play so perhaps you should not call what I said BS when you have no clue since you didn't see the incident.

3. What does what Tkachuk did to Wes Walz have to do with this incident at all?

Keep trolling...
Actually the leauge looks at past history so what he has done in the past will be noted when he recieves his suspension. Therefore it is relevant.

Old
11-14-2003, 06:28 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheRat
Blues win again, w/out Weight, Mac, etc, that team just continues to roll. Who cares if some Kings fan in Chicago "hates" the Blues? Good, I hope you do. SJ got a point they didn't deserve. Typical NHL officiating. What a disgrace.
You must either be illiterate, or make zero effort to actually read people's posts. Or alternately, you can and do read people's posts and just ignore what they say to draw your conclusions... which of course would make you ignorant. Take your pick; either way your post sucked.

A) I never said I "hate" the blues. In fact, in past threads I've said that generally I don't mind watching St. Louis. My comment last night was that I'm beginning to dislike them, due in no small measure to the actions and attitude of Doug Weight and Keith Tkatchuk, as well as some lesser incidents last season (note that is subtly different from "hatred", dumb*ss).

B) I am not a Kings fan. I am an Adam Deadmarsh fan. I know this must be difficult for you to comprehend, since his picture is right next to every post I make. Must be that everyone who uses a picture of their favorite player as an Avatar, is also a big fan of that player's team. Has to be....

PS - you are the type of person who gives Blues fans a bad name. Not to mention, it doesn't surprise me that you don't have the synaptic horse-power to figure out why a person from Chicago doesn't follow the Blackhawks.

Old
11-14-2003, 06:34 AM
zico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X
Tkachuk's stick work was a product of his anger, you cannot say the same about the Hannan/MacInnis incedent from 2 or 3 years ago.

I hope he gets at least 5.
yea, the Hannan incident deserved at least a six month suspenison. throwing your stick into a guys face on purpose because he beats you and is going in on goal is about as low as it gets.
at least davidson saw it coming, Macinnis didnt have a clue he was about to be carved up by a cheapshot.

Old
11-14-2003, 06:53 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
PS - you are the type of person who gives Blues fans a bad name. Not to mention, it doesn't surprise me that you don't have the synaptic horse-power to figure out why a person from Chicago doesn't follow the Blackhawks.
Oh, come on, Wetz isn't that bad.... (Joking)

As for Weight, he got caught in the heat of the moment and made a mistake (he is getting suspended and well deserved). I think the Blues came into that last Van. game w/ a serious chip on the shoulder and it showed, (Slejr nearly lost his head to Drake). The whole team was just plain pissed. (I am not going to comment on May getting a 1 game for using the butt of his stick and Weight getting 4)

Watch every game around when whistle goes and play is around the crease. There is more (stuff) going on in the scrum then w/ facewashes and pushing (Yes people use there stick to push off in these scrums). Walt may have been a little pissed at the slash he took early on that broke davidson's stick (has anyone actually address this yet).

I am sure he will get suspended, 4 because of previous actions.

Old
11-14-2003, 07:04 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Wirtz is not worthy of the word "bad"; he hasn't done anything to work his way UP to "bad" status yet. He's still stuck on "abomination".

As for the Blues, I don't really know why they're copping the attitude on the ice, but it just seems like some of these guys (even the ones not involved in suspension disputes) are skating with a bit of chip on their shoulder. Maybe the coaches are telling them to play with more attitude, but whatever it is, I think they can play plenty well without it.

Old
11-14-2003, 07:10 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
If Tkachuk wants to avoid suspensions-stop using your stick to hurt people!!!! It's really not complicated.
I dont remember tkachuk ever hurting anyone with his stick.

Old
11-14-2003, 07:13 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuksforlife
Actually the leauge looks at past history so what he has done in the past will be noted when he recieves his suspension. Therefore it is relevant.
No, the league does *not* look at the past when determining current or future suspensions, otherwise Marchment wouldn't have gotten 3 games for kneeing a player several months after getting 8 for kneeing.

We'd like to think the league gets progressive with their suspensions based on past transgressions, but the facts don't support it.

11-14-2003, 07:15 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

He was suspended for 4 games last year for the Walz stickwork, so anyone who thinks that it will be less than that is in for a surprise.. This is what Campbell said last year..

"Mr. Tkachuk is a repeat offender who used his stick in a dangerous and inappropriate manner,'' said Colin Campbell, NHL executive vice president and director of hockey operations. "Blows with the stick to the head area continue to be unacceptable.''

I would expect at LEAST 4 games and they would be deserved games.

Old
11-14-2003, 07:15 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHockeyMD
Aw.. an LA Kings fan dissing the Blues for an on-ice situation. It seems to me that with a woman-beater and another guy guilty of assault on your team, I wouldn't be commenting on the Blues. At least the Blues players keep it on the ice..
1. What the bolded part of your statement has to do with stock prices in Nepal, I have no idea.

2. Nice way to drag down the discussion. Keep it on topic or go away.

Old
11-14-2003, 07:17 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
No, the league does *not* look at the past when determining current or future suspensions, otherwise Marchment wouldn't have gotten 3 games for kneeing a player several months after getting 8 for kneeing.

We'd like to think the league gets progressive with their suspensions based on past transgressions, but the facts don't support it.
Of course they look at the past.. you should read the link provided earlier in the thread and quoted by me.

Old
11-14-2003, 07:23 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHockeyMD
A ridiculous, unwarranted, unrelated, asinine statement like this gives your credibility severe blows.

Give your head a shake and talk about the issue.

Old
11-14-2003, 07:34 AM
Shark Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
I know I should waste my time preaching to the choir, but those of you that actually saw this and are criticizing him this badly for it either A) didn't watch it close or B) don't understand the sport.

Had the player not raised his hands knocking Tkachuk's stick into his own face not only would we not be talking about this, but Tkachuk wouldn't have gotten even a 2 minute penalty.
You can also say that if Tkachuk had not gone over there to basically be a "jerk" and slam him from behind, it would not have happenned either. And a I saw it and understand the sport.

4 game suspension.....next

CHomp, CHomp

Old
11-14-2003, 07:45 AM
ATXBlues

vCash:
Tkachuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
I dont remember tkachuk ever hurting anyone with his stick.
Wasn't it Tkachuk who cut Shanahan's lip back pretty badly when Shanny was a Blue, and Tkachuk was a Jet? Then Shanny came back after stitches, scored at least 1 goal (I think 2), and then beat the snot out of Tkachuk?

Anyways, as a Blues fan, I'm getting pretty sick of all the stupid penalties that we take (especially ones like this). Of course some of our penalties unwarranted, but every team can make that same argument, so we shouldn't b***h about that. Maybe playing a couple games without Weight and Tkachuk will do the team good in the long run. I would trade a loss or two to teach Tkachuk not to do stupid stuff with his stick. He can dominate games without using his stick like this.

I'm convinced Weight's action was an isolated incident, and doesn't mean he's a dirty player, per se. However, I do think he should have been punished, and 4 games seems pretty appropriate, especially considering the leagues crackdown on head-stick incidents.

I haven't seen the Tkachuk incident, but I'm worried it's going to get a pretty stiff fine. The only thing he has going for him compared to the Weight suspension was that he got 15 minutes of penalties in the game, whereas Weight did not receive a penalty. I'm still thinking 4 to 6 games though, because of previous incidents.

Closed Thread