HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Expect a Tkachuk suspension soon...

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2003, 08:04 AM
Shark Attack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
If he get more than 2 games the Blues got the shaft, it looked a lot worse than it was. Prongers dive was no worse than Davidson laying there like he was dead, they both should be nominated for academy awards.
Jesus -

Have you ever been popped in the head and seen start? It gets you a little woozy doesn't it, and if you are on skates are not necessarily going to get up right away because if you do you are liable to fall right back down. So let lay off the "Academy Award nomination," unless you really want to talk about the best imitation of a turtle in last nights game.....

Chomp, Chomp

Old
11-14-2003, 08:12 AM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I didn't see the play, I don't know who embellished and who didn't, so I am not going to say whether he should be suspended or not. I don't know all the details, and I'm honest enough to admit it.

What bothers me in all of this, however, is the excessive use of sticks for more than shooting the puck. There has to be an end to it somewhere. You don't need to use the stick as a lethal weapon (and I'm using this term both literally and figuratively). If it takes a major crackdown and/or suspensions of a lengthy measure, so be it. One way or another it's got to come to a halt.

Again, I'm not sure what happened in this case, I didn't see it, but based on some of the other incidents that have happened this season (Allen breaking Zetterberg's leg and Weight's little incident) that I have seen, something has to give.

Flame away if you so desire...but this is how I feel.

Old
11-14-2003, 08:22 AM
Mizral

As many Blues posters on these boards know, I really like the Blues.

However, their achilles heel is not their goaltending. It isn't their coaching. It isn't injuries.

It's stupid penalties.

Laugh if you want, but I remember looking back to last years Canucks/Blues series. I believe it was in Game 5, but Jarkko Ruutu was going to the box, but goaded some Blues player into getting mad and attacking him. Ruutu drew a penalty that shouldn't have happened, Canucks scored a goal, and got back into the game.

I firmly believe that without Ruutu, the Canucks wouldn't have made the 2nd round...

But it has much more to do with the Blues. Guys like Dallas Drake, for instance, seem quite useful. But MY GOD he's gotta be the dumbest player I've ever seen when it comes to taking penalties.

And look, I'll be the last person to say Bertuzzi doesn't take his share of moronic penalties, but Tkachuk I think even beats Bert in this department.

Mellanby has taken some boneheaders over the years, but is usually better than most.

Pronger is just like Tkachuk. Stupid, stupid penalties way too often.

Old
11-14-2003, 08:56 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
After the whistle a player should NEVER use their stick for anything. In fact, I see no problem with issuing an automatic minor ala highsticks for any stickwork that's clearly after the play. No crosschecking, no slashing another players stick, nothing. Players want to scrum after a whistle they should have to use their mits.
That is fine by me in theory, but I don't want the refs to have something like that to think about. As bad as this year's officiating has generally been (and it has been tons worse than it was in any other season in recent memory), I know they would screw up such a rule in reality.

Old
11-14-2003, 09:04 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
I dont remember tkachuk ever hurting anyone with his stick.
Are you nuts or just have a really short term memory?

Just off the top of my head, Tkachuk was suspended 4 games for slashing a Wild player in the head (Dowd or Walz) and another suspension for slashing then Hawks defenceman Lyle Odelien. This guy was labelled a "repeat offender" by Colin Campbell long ago.

Old
11-14-2003, 09:05 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Walt may have been a little pissed at the slash he took early on that broke davidson's stick (has anyone actually address this yet).
As I posted on the Blues board, there was no such slash. Davison's stick wasn't broken; he had just dropped it while he and Tkachuk were banging against each other with their sticks a little high. Why bother defending Tkachuk? Seriously, the guy hurt his team and enjoys a salary in the $9-10 million dollar range. I'm pissed the guy embarrasses himself and his team all while letting his team down by putting himself before the team. As good as he's been playing, why do it at all? The Blues are already down a top-notch playmaking center; so, why put yourself in a position to let your team down even worse?

Old
11-14-2003, 09:08 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
But it has much more to do with the Blues. Guys like Dallas Drake, for instance, seem quite useful. But MY GOD he's gotta be the dumbest player I've ever seen when it comes to taking penalties.
Dont drag drake into this. Ill admit he takes some penalties, but they arent any worse than every other player in the league. And ill also admit that mellanby, tkachuk, and pronger take bad penalties. I mean even thornton last night took a bad penalty last night and was lucky he didnt get more than 2. They just tied up the game , why lose the momentum by goin after pronger. But i not complaining.

The blues are a team that was built to have skill, and be nasty to play against. Yes we take bad penalties, but if they have to play with that chip on their shoulder to win , ill take it. I mean the blues have the highest winning percentage in the league right now, and they dont play the same without that physical edge that they have. So ill take the bad with the good, as long as its effective. If we take a suspension or 2 along the way w/o anyone getting hurt, so be it.

Does tkachuk deserve a suspension? yes. Just not more than a game or 2. But only because the league is cracking down on it this year and id like them to follow through with their promises. Was davison faking it, i believe so. But he was smart to. If he didnt , im not so sure tkachuk would have been shown the door. And that got him off the ice. if you ask me, it was alot better than being boarded. Most boardings are alot more viscious than that cross check and deserve suspensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Like the Sharks are a bunch of clean players. MacInnis eye injury came from Scott Hannan using his stick carelessly and Young was also injured by the Sharks. They have one of the cheaper teams in the league. I am not saying tkachuk shouldnt get a game or two, just that you are a hypocrite.
Dont forget about nolans sucker punch on courtnall that ended his career.

Old
11-14-2003, 09:10 AM
topshelf331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Are you nuts or just have a really short term memory?

Just off the top of my head, Tkachuk was suspended 4 games for slashing a Wild player in the head (Dowd or Walz) and another suspension for slashing then Hawks defenceman Lyle Odelien. This guy was labelled a "repeat offender" by Colin Campbell long ago.
I remember those, but noone was hurt. Even walz said after the game that it wasnt as bad as it looked and tkachuk even pulled up before the stick hit him. And odelein wasnt even close to being hurt.

Old
11-14-2003, 09:20 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Tkachuk's stick was headed straight for the guy's midsection and that's where it would have landed had the guy not knocked Tkachuk's stick up. However, to say there was intent when the stick was clearly going towards his body is absolutely ridiculous.
No way degroat, no way. Tkachuk's stick was angled upward from the get go and there was absolutely no way he was aiming for the midsection. That stick hits no lower than the base of Davison's throat if Davison had just taken it. Davison protected himself (thankfully) and avoided serious injury. For Tkachuk to be aiming for the midsection would mean Tkachuk's arms, hands, and stick would have to be angled in a downward manner. And they clearly weren't.

Old
11-14-2003, 09:26 AM
topshelf331

BS. Is all i have to say. I just watched the replay in slow motion and tkachuks stick and arms were already extended. And the third guy in is the one who raised his arms. Tkachuk didnt even know why he was being thrown out. This is the biggest non incedent i have seen in awhile.

Add to that it was a sharks player who raised his arm.

Old
11-14-2003, 09:33 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
Of course they look at the past.. you should read the link provided earlier in the thread and quoted by me.
1. I saw your quote but don't see the link.

2. See: Marchment, Bryan - history of suspensions for kneeing.

11-14-2003, 09:46 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
BS. Is all i have to say. I just watched the replay in slow motion and tkachuks stick and arms were already extended. And the third guy in is the one who raised his arms. Tkachuk didnt even know why he was being thrown out. This is the biggest non incedent i have seen in awhile.

Add to that it was a sharks player who raised his arm.
And as I said to you in the other thread, your comments don't address anything directly. Stick and arm already extended? That was a point of contention? Whether his arm and stick are already extended is irrelevant to the angle of his stick and where it would hit. Sit down and watch the replays more because you're just not right about this. Maybe the Blues feed is different from the Sharks feed I have on tape, but outside of that possibility, there's nothing to defend on this one. Tkachuk blew it.

Old
11-14-2003, 09:49 AM
topshelf331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
And as I said to you in the other thread, your comments don't address anything directly. Stick and arm already extended? That was a point of contention? Whether his arm and stick are already extended is irrelevant to the angle of his stick and where it would hit. Sit down and watch the replays more because you're just not right about this. Maybe the Blues feed is different from the Sharks feed I have on tape, but outside of that possibility, there's nothing to defend on this one. Tkachuk blew it.
His arms were between his gut and chest until the extra sharks player cam in and lifted his arm. There wasnt even a cross checking motion. His arms were extended, and they were raised. Thats all that happened.

Old
11-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
His arms were between his gut and chest until the extra sharks player cam in and lifted his arm. There wasnt even a cross checking motion. His arms were extended, and they were raised. Thats all that happened.
Do you have the worst angle on this or what? Ricci came in after the stick had already gotten up; Ricci had no impact on Tkachuk's stick or arms and where it hit Davison. Tkachuk goes at him, Davison protects himself, and Ricci comes in a splitsecond after the stick had already gotten up. Nobody lifted Tkachuk's arm either; he had that angle set from the start and it's clear as day. I'm thinking the Blues feed either has a horrible angle of the whole thing or too many Blues fans are suffering from the Ostrich Syndrome.

And beyond that, a crosscheck is simply hitting a guy with the shaft of your stick with the normal hand positions associated with it. Whether he extended his arms as he hit or whether his arms were already extended does not change the fact that it's a crosscheck. Could Tkachuk have hit him harder? Sure he could have. But that's not of any importance as far as I'm concerned. The fact that he would do it at all is the problem here.

Old
11-14-2003, 10:39 AM
cc

Quote:
I remember those, but noone was hurt. Even walz said after the game that it wasnt as bad as it looked and tkachuk even pulled up before the stick hit him. And odelein wasnt even close to being hurt.
I remember him high sticking Ohlund in one game and making him bleed. He was coming up at Ohlund on a rush and tried to go through but ended up crosschecking him in the face. It was totally missed by the refs too. That was very annoying. He's well known for using his stick as a weapon.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:00 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Tkachuk also opened up Shanahan for 40 stitches at the end of the ''94 season on a high stick (which went unpenalized and didn't draw a suspension).

Curious the league hasn't weighed in on this yet, with the Blues playing tomorrow night and this being Friday I'm a bit surprised they haven't announced anything yet...especially since they hit Weight the day after the Canucks game (played on a Thursday, suspended Friday, next Blues game was Saturday).

Perhaps since it wasn't talked about all over Canada it hasn't made it to the league offices yet.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:25 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHockeyMD
Aw.. an LA Kings fan dissing the Blues for an on-ice situation. It seems to me that with a woman-beater and another guy guilty of assault on your team, I wouldn't be commenting on the Blues. At least the Blues players keep it on the ice..
Yeah, on the ice, or on the babysitter!

Old
11-14-2003, 11:25 AM
arinkrat*

I didn't see the latest incident, but in last week's game against the Ducks, Tkachuk speared Lance Ward and only got a four minute minor penalty. Shouldn't he have been out of the game? And there was no suspension either. If the refs, and the league, would mete out more consistent and appropriate punishment, maybe Tkachuk wouldn't be willing to take so many liberties with his stick.

Old
11-14-2003, 12:00 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Ok, just saw the replay. Not as severe as Weight, a little more than Allen's because it was at the head/throat area, and after the whistle. It's not what I'd call viscious, he certainly didn't drive him with everything he had. I'd give him two to three games.

You have to really stretch things to say he was aiming for the midsection, but the victim pulled the hit up 2 feet.
Bravo, I said anything more than 2 was BS but I could live with three because it was careless and he has a rep for this but amymore than 2 or 3 is crap.

Old
11-14-2003, 12:07 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Attack
Jesus -

Have you ever been popped in the head and seen start? It gets you a little woozy doesn't it, and if you are on skates are not necessarily going to get up right away because if you do you are liable to fall right back down. So let lay off the "Academy Award nomination," unless you really want to talk about the best imitation of a turtle in last nights game.....

Chomp, Chomp
Pronger also deserved an academy award. Davison was down for several minutes, to stay down that long you should be hurt when you get up and he didnt miss a shift. That kind of crap no matter who does it is BS. He was OK long before he got up or he would have hurt. Too much of that in Hockey these days?

Old
11-14-2003, 01:27 PM
tealfreak

BY the way, Davison didn't even have his stick. He was trying to clear the front of the net where stick work is always heavy on both sides WITHOUT A STICK. Tkachuk had his stick, with momentum headed toward Davison's chin. Davison turned to see the stick and raised his hands because he DIDN"T HAVE A STICK. Keith, save the stick work for when your opponent has one also.

Old
11-14-2003, 02:06 PM
blues1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealfreak
BY the way, Davison didn't even have his stick. He was trying to clear the front of the net where stick work is always heavy on both sides WITHOUT A STICK. Tkachuk had his stick, with momentum headed toward Davison's chin. Davison turned to see the stick and raised his hands because he DIDN"T HAVE A STICK. Keith, save the stick work for when your opponent has one also.
Did you see why he was without a stick?

Old
11-14-2003, 02:11 PM
tealfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues1234
Did you see why he was without a stick?
Nope.

Old
11-14-2003, 02:24 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
Who the **** cares if they miss a shift? Regardless of whether a player fights through the pain or not, when the incident actually occurs, you go down! I have been wacked HARD in the face dozens of times playing hockey. And it hurts like hell! So yah, I go down for a bit, wait for the pain to subside, then I get back to playing (provided I am able to). Maybe you don't feel pain, but for the rest of us mere mortals-sticks to the face HURT!
I didnt say he wasnt hurt but he wasnt "Hurt" like he implied by laying there and Bryan Allen gets 2 games for breaking a guys leg. Tkachuk should get no more than 2.

Old
11-14-2003, 02:26 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuksforlife
Actually the leauge looks at past history so what he has done in the past will be noted when he recieves his suspension. Therefore it is relevant.
I'm well aware that the league looks at past history to determine the length of suspension. However, what the poster said that I was responding to was that because in the past Tkachuk had hit someone in the face with his stick then he must have done it on purpose this time. That's two completely different things.

Closed Thread