Notices

Backstrom or Harding?

Old
08-12-2006, 05:55 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Backstrom or Harding?

After that weak playoff run by Harding, I think this'll be a strong battle between Backstrom and Harding for the backup spot. I don't think it's going to be a given to Harding to be the backup this year and one more year or half year of seasoning down in the AHL won't hurt him. Plus I think Manny still needs to be pushed and Backstrom would push him better than Harding because Harding isn't ready to take up the mantle just yet.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 06:35 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
After that weak playoff run by Harding, I think this'll be a strong battle between Backstrom and Harding for the backup spot. I don't think it's going to be a given to Harding to be the backup this year and one more year or half year of seasoning down in the AHL won't hurt him. Plus I think Manny still needs to be pushed and Backstrom would push him better than Harding because Harding isn't ready to take up the mantle just yet.
Harding is as ready as Ward was when he backed Gerber...

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 06:56 PM
DTownWingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
It's Niklas Backstrom that you guys have right? Just wanted to check cause I know there is another Niklas Backstrom with Washington.

DTownWingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTownWingsfan View Post
It's Niklas Backstrom that you guys have right? Just wanted to check cause I know there is another Niklas Backstrom with Washington.
Do you know what the GAA for the one in Washington is? We can compare the two.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Pavel Bure

Harding

Pavel Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 01:34 AM
vitogor

I'm neutral. Let them battle it out. Let Harding prove that the spot is his. May the best goalie win

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 09:49 AM
DTownWingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOKIE CHARGERS View Post
Do you know what the GAA for the one in Washington is? We can compare the two.

I know the one with Washington is a forward,and I thought it was you guys who had the goalie.

DTownWingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Kafka

We'll see how Ward will play this season. I watched a lot of games, and he was making what you ask from a goaltender: make the stops, avoid the errors. I think Ward is nearer Giguère, Raycroft, Théodore, Carey, etc... in terms of its ability to keep success; he is no Roy. Ward was awfull during all the season with Carolina.

Anyway, it all depends on Backstrom performances I guess. But for a goaltender, the adjustment to the North-American style is probably faster: he saw two seasons ago how fast those players can be. The only change really is the reduced ice rink and possibly goaltender charging (I don't know if the referees are better in Europe than here).

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:41 AM
The Big E

We need a goalie in Houston. I think that Backstrom was signed for that role. Of course, they'll give him a shot at the backup role in St. Paul. However, I think that it's Harding's job to lose. Plus, what if Manny or Josh get hurt, we need a third goalie who's legit. I don't think that Khudobin, Kopriva or any of the others are anywhere near ready to fill that role.

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Mokoma

Bäckström isn't a kid anymore and he has been very successful in Finland for years so I'm sure he isn't too keen on playing in AHL. He chose Wild because in Minnesota he has a real chance and I think he has what it takes to take the number two spot.

Mokoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 08:08 PM
wukwinn

Send a message via AIM to wukwinn Send a message via Yahoo to wukwinn
Joshua Harding

wukwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 09:05 PM
moglesby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
We'll see how Ward will play this season. I watched a lot of games, and he was making what you ask from a goaltender: make the stops, avoid the errors. I think Ward is nearer Giguère, Raycroft, Théodore, Carey, etc... in terms of its ability to keep success; he is no Roy. Ward was awfull during all the season with Carolina.

Anyway, it all depends on Backstrom performances I guess. But for a goaltender, the adjustment to the North-American style is probably faster: he saw two seasons ago how fast those players can be. The only change really is the reduced ice rink and possibly goaltender charging (I don't know if the referees are better in Europe than here).
No offense to you...I know it's not your fault because you probably didn't see much of him during the regular season, but I'm really really getting sick of people saying that Ward was awfull last season. He was ABSOLUTELY NOT AWFULL during the reg season!!!! To begin with, he hardly ever played and thus couldn't get into a groove. When he did play 5 straight games at the beginning of the season (when Gerber was hurt) he was 3-1-1 and had a very respectable .910 SV%! We were thinking of him as a Calder candidate at this point! Even when he was playing sporadically he was still solid save for a few games and all of us canes fans knew that he was capable of being the starter (near the end of the season I was practically begging that he be made the starter because Gerbs was really inconsistant after the olympics and never really regained his form). His low SV% (.882) is skewed by 3 terrible games - a game against atlanta where he let in 7 goals and 2 games against Philly and Phoenix where he gave up 6 goals. I did the math and without these three games his SV% would have been a very respectable .896! Ok...sorry you had to fall victim to my vent but everyone on every board is saying things like this. I KNOW THAT IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT...EVERYONE IS SAYING THAT HE WAS AWFULL LAST SEASON. Thanks for putting up with me

moglesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTownWingsfan View Post
I know the one with Washington is a forward,and I thought it was you guys who had the goalie.
I found the question funny and was having fun . Sorry, it was at someone else's expense yours.

I am throwing the spaghetti up above my head. There closing both eyes though.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:44 PM
Wild Bill

I think it will be a dog fight down to the wire. If all things end up equal, I say they keep Backstrom up and let Harding get the playing time and familiar environment.

Either way, barring injury or absolutely horrible play, Manny is gonna start 60-70 games and whoever starts against Chicago and St. Louis doesn't matter that much to me at this point.

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 01:19 AM
HoustonHockeyNut

Having watched Harding all season, I really think a lot of his poor playoff performance had to do with the rust that came from sitting on the bench behind Fernandez for a month or so. It's not the easiest thing to go from playing every game to not starting at all to making spot starts for a week back to playing every day, in a playoff situation.

I understand calling Harding up at the end of last year, and I also understand starting Fernandez every game until the playoffs were out of question, but if a bench warmer was all they wanted, I really wondered why they didn't just call up Kotyk or something until they were eliminated and then sent Kotyk down and called up a Harding to get some NHL games under his belt while he was still in playing shape?

Anyway, I think Harding's probably still got the inside track as Manny's backup this year, and I'm pretty psyched at the prospect of seeing Backstrom down in Houston. If I'm wrong, though, and Backstrom gets to play behind Fernandez, I guarantee you we won't be too upset to see #37 back in the AHL for another season

HoustonHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 11:01 PM
saskhab

Has Khudobin been signed by the Wild? And if not, where is he playing next year? I'm kind of just catching up on my Blades news for the summer...

From what I can tell, Harding is more than ready and I think Backstrom is more of an insurance policy than anything else. Of course, I'm biased for the Saskatchewan goalies, but hell... he's pretty much already the best goalie from this province since Glenn Hall.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote