HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

rank these 80's stars

Old
08-13-2006, 01:12 PM
arrbez
bad chi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
rank these 80's stars

All players who put up some impressive numbers (granted, it was the 80's). I chose these guys because I see them all as having pretty comparable careers. If I'm not mistaken, Savard has the only Stanley Cup out of all of them from 1993 with Montreal, and it was a less than sterling performance by him.

Being 22, I only really saw the tail of their careers. In which order would you rank them, and why?

Dale Hawerchuk
Peter Stastny
Denis Savard
Michel Goulet
Bernie Federko
Brian Propp

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 01:14 PM
KaptainKourage*

Dale Hawerchuk first !

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 01:34 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Dale Hawerchuk - 2
Peter Stastny - 1
Denis Savard - 4
Michel Goulet - 3
Bernie Federko - 5
Brian Propp - 6

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Buddha

Statsny has to be #1 If Gretzky wasnt around, he would have been more reconized for being a great talent. Hawerchuk would be #2 Goulet/Savard are equal depending on what style of play you liked. Federko #5 and Propp #6 are also interchangable. By and far though Hawerchuk and Statsny were way above the others.

Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 02:37 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
Statsny has to be #1 If Gretzky wasnt around, he would have been more reconized for being a great talent. Hawerchuk would be #2 Goulet/Savard are equal depending on what style of play you liked. Federko #5 and Propp #6 are also interchangable. By and far though Hawerchuk and Statsny were way above the others.
I disagree and would have to say that Bossy would have been #1 if Gretz was not around. IMO They were #1 and 2 (probably followed by other greats messier and trottier).

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 02:38 PM
EagleBelfour

Peter Stastny
Michel Goulet
Dale Hawerchuk
Denis Savard
Bernie Federko
Brian Propp

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
All players who put up some impressive numbers (granted, it was the 80's). I chose these guys because I see them all as having pretty comparable careers. If I'm not mistaken, Savard has the only Stanley Cup out of all of them from 1993 with Montreal, and it was a less than sterling performance by him.

Being 22, I only really saw the tail of their careers. In which order would you rank them, and why?

Dale Hawerchuk
Peter Stastny
Denis Savard
Michel Goulet
Bernie Federko
Brian Propp
1. Hawerchuk
2. Stastny
3. Savard
4. Goulet
5. Federko
6. Propp

You already had them in the right order.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 03:28 PM
John Flyers Fan

Hawerchuk
Stanstny

Savard

Propp
Goulet
Federko

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Bruinster*

Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
1A Peter Stastny
1B Dale Hawerchuk
Michel Goulet
Denis Savard
Brian Propp
Bernie Federko

Bruinster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Whatever Man*

Stastny
Hawerchuk

Savard

Goulet

Propp
Federko

Whatever Man* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 04:55 PM
God Bless Canada

1. Stastny. A standard for playmaking centres over the last 20 years. One of the amazing aspects of Stastny's career is that he didn't play in the NHL until he was in his mid-20s. Didn't even play in 1,000 NHL games. Piled up 986 points during his nine-year peak. Even in his late 30s, he put forth a dazzling offensive display for his beloved Slovakia in the 1994 Olympics.

2/3. Hawerchuk/Savard. I think Denis Savard is horribly underrated on these boards. To me, these two players are virtually equal. To suggest a wide gap would be erroneous. They were both dazzling playmakers with world-class stickhandling and passing abilities. Savard did have a top-notch linemate (Larmer) that Hawerchuk never had in Winnipeg, and Hawerchuk has the better career numbers/point-per-game pace, but Savard was a better playoff performer. Savard's brilliant performance in the 1995 playoffs was far from his only great post-season.

4. Goulet. The class of NHL left wingers in the 1980s. Did he play left wing for one of the best playmaking centres ever? Yes. Does that diminish Goulet's goal-scoring prowess? No. He was an excellent marksman who possessed all the skills and attributes of a 500-goal man. In his seven-year peak, all he did was total 360 goals. I don't care who the playmaking centre is, that's impressive.

5. Propp. If Goulet was No. 1 for 80s LW's, Propp would be 2 or 3. Only two things are missing from Propp's portfolio: an all-star team birth and a Stanley Cup. The former likely means nothing, the latter is a crime. Propp was a brilliant post-season performer who unfortunately went 0-for-5 in the final. Outside of chooch, there may not be a player with greater disdain for the Oilers' dynasty than Propp. His teams lost to the Oilers in 85, 87 and 90. A solid gritty player, too.

6. Federko. One of the most contentious HHOF selections. A fine playmaking centre who had a few big post-season performances. (Tied for the playoff lead in scoring in 1986). He saw the play extremely well and earned a reputation for making plays from behind the net long before it was labelled Gretzky's "office." The first player in NHL history to record 50-plus assists in 10 consecutive seasons. But he was never viewed as one of the game's top players, and his selection to the HHOF in 2002 (ahead of Neely, LaFontaine, Anderson and Makarov, among other forwards), baffled many.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 05:46 PM
JimmyPage

Having lived in both the west coast and Quebec in the 80's, I got a good look at both sides of NA...

Peter Stastny: As others have said, a fantastic playmaker that played with alot of heart. Had pretty good playoffs as well. Always performed great in what was one of the 2 most heated playoff rivalries at the time, MTL/QUE & EDM/CAL.
Dale Hawerchuk: A notch below Stastny but a great playmaking center as well. He was picked over Savard for Team Canada 87 so that says something, I think. Also played with a lot heart. He was taken out by a Jamie MacCoun cheapshot in the playoffs (while playing what was probably his best hockey) and still tried to come back and play with a flack jacket (?)
Denis Savard: Very fun player to watch, very innovative and he had his spinerama. He had a great run in with Glen Sather in the playoffs on live TV which was hilarious.
Michel Goulet: A little overrated in my opinion but still one of the best wingers in the game at the time. I just think he benefited a lot from playing with Stastny.
Brian Propp: Almost on par with Goulet IMO. He was a good playoff performer and while he may not have won the cup, he contributed a lot to a few close-calls for the flyers in the 80's.
Bernie Federko: Never liked his style of game but I also probably saw this guy the least.

JimmyPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 05:53 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

1) Stastny - at the time, the most talented player not named Gretzky

2) Hawerchuk - the Marc Savard of the eighties LOL, talented performer without the credit

3) nobody

4) nobody

5) nobody

6) Propp - the most appreciated underrated player of all time (if that could be a category), but I value play away from the puck as much as when someone touches the puck

7) Denis Savard - was never as impressed as some were with him, merely very good

8) Michel Goulet - a product of the eighties

9) Bernie Federko - the one guy on this list I hadn't watched much, but what I saw, alright

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 07:40 PM
tape-2-tape

Dale Hawerchuk>2
Peter Stastny>1
Denis Savard>5
Michel Goulet>4
Bernie Federko>3
Brian Propp>6

In that group IMO.

tape-2-tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damannnnaa View Post
I disagree and would have to say that Bossy would have been #1 if Gretz was not around. IMO They were #1 and 2 (probably followed by other greats messier and trottier).
Definatly I would rank Bossy up there, but the question didn't ask about him Statsny is way underated due to where he played and the big names all winning cups. In this list though Statsny is in a class by himself.

Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post

Dale Hawerchuk
Peter Stastny
Denis Savard
Michel Goulet
Bernie Federko
Brian Propp
1. Stastny
2. Hawerchuk
3. Savard
4. Goulet
5. Propp
6. Federko

why? because that's the order of best to worst.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 08:43 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Definatly I would rank Bossy up there, but the question didn't ask about him Statsny is way underated due to where he played and the big names all winning cups. In this list though Statsny is in a class by himself.
I purposefully left out anyone on the Oilers or Islanders dynasties. I thought it would be interesting to compare some of the top players who never (for all intents and purposes) won the cup.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 08:44 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Ok I agree then 100%, I just read it wrong haha. I thought you meant besides Gretz, Statsny was next in line. Anyways based upon that list I agree with ya.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 08:52 PM
hfsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinster View Post
1A Peter Stastny
1B Dale Hawerchuk
Michel Goulet
Denis Savard
Brian Propp
Bernie Federko
Bingo...except I give #1 outright to Stastny. He was better in his prime. 2nd to Gretz in the 80's pointwise and in stature. I think that Goulet and Savard are more 3A and 3B.

hfsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPage View Post
Having lived in both the west coast and Quebec in the 80's, I got a good look at both sides of NA...

Peter Stastny: As others have said, a fantastic playmaker that played with alot of heart. Had pretty good playoffs as well. Always performed great in what was one of the 2 most heated playoff rivalries at the time, MTL/QUE & EDM/CAL.
Dale Hawerchuk: A notch below Stastny but a great playmaking center as well. He was picked over Savard for Team Canada 87 so that says something, I think. Also played with a lot heart. He was taken out by a Jamie MacCoun cheapshot in the playoffs (while playing what was probably his best hockey) and still tried to come back and play with a flack jacket (?)
Denis Savard: Very fun player to watch, very innovative and he had his spinerama. He had a great run in with Glen Sather in the playoffs on live TV which was hilarious.
Michel Goulet: A little overrated in my opinion but still one of the best wingers in the game at the time. I just think he benefited a lot from playing with Stastny.
Brian Propp: Almost on par with Goulet IMO. He was a good playoff performer and while he may not have won the cup, he contributed a lot to a few close-calls for the flyers in the 80's.
Bernie Federko: Never liked his style of game but I also probably saw this guy the least.
Goulet spent most of his time with Hunter.
Hawerchuk
Stanstny

Goulet
Propp

Savard
Federko

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 05:42 AM
brianscot

Goulet did indeed play most of his time with Hunter as Peter Stastny, as logic dictated played mostly with bro Anton on his left wing.

Goulet was an understated guy and played a fairly subtle game, but to me he was like Luc Robitaille with a greater defensive conscience and is mostly under valued on these boards.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 05:53 AM
JimmyPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Goulet spent most of his time with Hunter.
Hawerchuk
Stanstny

Goulet
Propp

Savard
Federko
Good point - it's all starting to come back to me now.

JimmyPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Bruins77forLife

1-Peter Stastny(First by a mile IMO. Great player with supreme talent. He had the most points in the 80's after Gretzky.)
2-Dale Hawerchuk
3-Denis Savard
4-Michel Goulet(Savard and Goulet is a toss up for #3 and #4)
5-Bernie Federko
6-Brian Propp

Bruins77forLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Nifty=HHOF

1) Peter Stastny
2) Dale Hawerchuk
3) Denis Savard
4) Michel Goulet
5) Brian Propp
6) Bernie Federko

Nifty=HHOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Sens Rule

1) Peter Stastny - Unbelievable offensive player. Had he entered the NHL at 18 or 19 like his peers he would have challenged Howe's points mark.
2) Dale Hawerchuk - Great player - was amazing for 10 years plus
3) Denis Savard - Amazing talent and a great player and playoff performer
4) Michel Goulet - Great goal scorer
5) Brian Propp - Probably doesn't make the Hall of fame ever but was a winner and great player on a great team.
6) Bernie Federko - Great offensive player. The face of the Blues. Might not deserve the Hall of fame but he got it and was an excellent player.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote