HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I think the Hawks may surprise a lot of peoples !!

Old
08-13-2006, 06:02 PM
KaptainKourage*

vCash: 500
I think the Hawks may surprise a lot of peoples !!

I dont know why most of hockey fans seems so '' down '' about the Hawks. I think the Blackhawks have one of the most underrated team in the whole NHL and may surprise sont people next year and making their way to top 12 (W). Well ok its not the greatest achivement but most of peoples predict Hawks ends dead last of their conferance...

Dont think they will make into the playoff but still... they have a great bunch of young players like Ruutu, Havlat and Vrbata and some good vets like Lapointe, even if hawks fans dont seems to love him.

Aucoin should bounce and have a good year, so does Khabi. He's not a bad goaltender, i think he just had some problems w/o Tampa D ahead of him.

Just 2 bad Dazé is porcelain.. he might be the missing piece to the 2nd line to make Hawks a playoff team.

Good luck for your season, bright future ahead of the Hawks. Pretty sure.. if Ruutu can stay healthy, gonna be a dominant player in the NHL. I know what is it to have a poor-team, back in 98,99, 2000, 2001 ...

Hold-on guys

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Behn Wilson

You didnt see much of the Hawks last year did you? Especially if you are saying Lapointe is a good veteran, hes completely worthless in the new NHL.

The pessimism is justified. And on top of that we probably havbe the most inadequate coach in the entire league in Yawney. I expect a ittle improvement over last year mainly due to Khabi's hopefully improved play, but the Hawks will agin be a bottom feeder.

Things may finally get interesting the following season when Toews and Skille make the NHL, finally a couple of top notch offensive prospects to breath some life into the team.

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Ezflow

I know last year was pathetic but lets focus on the positives from last year. Seabrook and Keith had great rookie years and were our 2 best defensemen. We had absolutely no star power on Offense and were still in a lot of games and lost i believe 24 games by just 1 goal in a season that Ruutu and Daze saw almost no action and Bell and Calder were our biggest offensive threats. Now as the season approaches we can say Havlat and Ruutu will be the big guns on Offense and Guys like Smolinski and Handzus can hopefully replace the Bell and Calder scoring. Vrbata will certainly contribute and who knows what Salmelainen is all about, at this point last year nobody had even heard of Petr Prucha. All this talk about imminent sukking is a bit pre-mature IMO.

Ezflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 12:15 AM
NassauIsles82*

Alot of people will write them off cause it's the easy thing to do w/o getting flamed. I bet 95 percent of the people on this site didn't even evaluate them when predicting standings. It's going to be nice to see the Blues and Hawks shake things up a bit in that division this year. There will be alot of surprises this year.

NassauIsles82* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 08:45 AM
hckyfan0099

I do feel justified to say that the Hawks will be in last in their confrence. Think of it this way.

Who did the Hawks gain? Havlat

Who did the Hawks lose? A lot of veterans and some good rookies.

Don't try to say that the Hawks gained Havlat and Hanzus because they gave up some good talent to get those guys. Calder was a very good player who played his heart out for the team. The Flyers must have realized this and his potential and used some common sence get him Now Hanzus is not bad but with the Hawks system of the "Dump and get the puck in the other end and hope to god they score" Hanzus is not the man you want. Havlat was traded for the slow Mark Bell. Mark could shoot the puck though. Watching him play with some of their younger guys was watching him as a leader. Havlat could do that too but he won't have the physical presence when it comes to Bell. He would rough it up. I would have Havlat as a player though. He is very good.

You also have to realize the Hawks lost some of their better rookies to other teams. Pavel Vorobiev is in Russia and Matt Cullen is on the Flyers. Our two best offensive rookies are now not on the team. With the Hawks not getting any better offensivly or defencivly what is the point of saying they will do better. The Hawks lost 12 guys that were on their team last year. Now who are they going to bring up from the minors to replace them? Oh wait we have Reed Low and Arkhipov to save us. No that is not going to work. No other team in the Central lost so many valuable players to their team besides Detroit and they still have Datsyuk and Zetterberg to keep them competitive for some time.

The Hawks will not win more than 25 games this season. They will finish last in their confrence.

hckyfan0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 12:01 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
It all starts with health IMO for the Hawks. They need Ruutu, Havlat, Aucoin, Khabibulin all to be healthy and have close to career years to be a competitive team.

They severely lack depth, despite having good prospects in the system, so one or two injuries could really hurt this club.

Sure they gave up good players in Bell and Calder to gain Smolinski, Havlat, and Handzus, but those were moves they needed to make. It seems the longer a player stays in Chicago the worse they get...so while Bell and Calder may have huge years with SJ and Philly, I doubt they would've in Chicago... and it was time to bring in some players who have a winning attitude to Chicago.

I expect another top 10 pick this year, but it won't be the 3rd overall. I think you guys will be really good in 3 years when Skille and Toews are entering their sophomore seasons and some of the other guys like Seabrook, and Keith are solid young vets.

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 09:28 PM
3mta3

The Hawks haven't iced a winning team in a long time regardless of talent. Off season moves look great on paper, but so did last season's moves. I don't see anyone else in the division getting weaker aside from the Wings, so it's going to be hard to move up at all. The Hawks have a lot of problems to straighten out and Havlat isn't going to do it by himself.

3mta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Ezflow

Our two best offensive rookies?
GMS G A PTS

Pavel Vorobiev 39 9 12 21

Matt Cullen 29 7 9 16

I really liked Matt Cullens Game and everything but saying that we are gonna suck on account of these two guys not being here doesn't add up. 21 and 16 points respectively are easily replaceable. Maybe Cullen will take his game to another level in Philly but we aren't missing him that much since he spent most of last year in the minors. I seriously doubt that Reed Low will be appearing in many games with the Hawks he should spend most of the year in the minors.

Old
08-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Hawkhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyfan0099 View Post
I do feel justified to say that the Hawks will be in last in their confrence. Think of it this way.

Don't try to say that the Hawks gained Havlat and Hanzus because they gave up some good talent to get those guys. Calder was a very good player who played his heart out for the team. The Flyers must have realized this and his potential and used some common sence get him Now Hanzus is not bad but with the Hawks system of the "Dump and get the puck in the other end and hope to god they score" Hanzus is not the man you want. Havlat was traded for the slow Mark Bell. Mark could shoot the puck though. Watching him play with some of their younger guys was watching him as a leader. Havlat could do that too but he won't have the physical presence when it comes to Bell. He would rough it up. I would have Havlat as a player though. He is very good.

You also have to realize the Hawks lost some of their better rookies to other teams. Pavel Vorobiev is in Russia and Matt Cullen is on the Flyers. Our two best offensive rookies are now not on the team. With the Hawks not getting any better offensivly or defencivly what is the point of saying they will do better. The Hawks lost 12 guys that were on their team last year. Now who are they going to bring up from the minors to replace them? Oh wait we have Reed Low and Arkhipov to save us. No that is not going to work. No other team in the Central lost so many valuable players to their team besides Detroit and they still have Datsyuk and Zetterberg to keep them competitive for some time.

The Hawks will not win more than 25 games this season. They will finish last in their confrence.
Ummm.... pass the pipe

really. are u serious?

We traded a lazy mark bell for Smolinski and Havlat!

and Calder for Handzus!

This team is very much improved especially since all of our rooks and young guys have gained one year experience. Bourque, Seabrook, Keith, Vandy, Vrbata etc.

And we lost an AHLer (Vorobiev) and Cullen who is a 3/4th at best.

Wow, we are done for! O NOES!!!111!!ONE!!31

Hawkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 12:40 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:

Wait, we don't count the players we got for Calder, Bell, etc., but we count them as losses?

IN: Havlat, Handzus, Barker, Smolinski, Rooks
OUT: Calder, Bell, Barnaby, Brown, Cullen, Vorobiev(kind've).

The team is definitely better then it was last year. And last I checked, Bourque is still a Blackhawk. Cullen was a decent fourth line center that brought energy. Vorobiev was a streaky russian that got hurt and sulked. Replacing them with Cam Barker and some speedy Euro's is fine by me.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 08:08 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
i think havlat is going to finally emerge offensively as a star and become that phenominal player he was pegged to be overshadowed in ottawa, 90 pts might be a little small by the time the season is done for martin

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Sullythedog

I agree Hawkhead. I can't see how the Hawks could be as bad as last year. Ruutu barely played and they have Handzus, Havlat now. The good young defencemen are a year older. Cam Barker is close. Things aren't so bad.

Sullythedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 10:35 AM
hawksfan50

Salmelainen was the top scorer in the SM-liga and Nordqvist was 6th best scorer in the SEL --they should help the offense too...we'll find out if Bourque progresses or
stagnates--but I think he can improve his scoring too...Bourque Sharp Vrbata started clicking quite well after the Arnason trade--so we'll see if they are kept together and progress...a healthy Ruutu back to the form he showed in the 2nd half of the 2003/04 season would go a long way to sparking the offense..Arkhipov though is a 1 yearstop-gap till Toews arrives next season..Handzus will blossom with Havlat on that line and so if ruutu rebounds,it will be the Hawks best line in years...Kukkonen will help solidify the defense...I expect further progress with Seabrook and Keith...the 1 unknown is Barker---Tallon says he stopped looking for a PP QB because Barker looks ready off his showing at the Prospects Camp this summer--HOWEVER the CAP situation and the Cullimore albatross still taking a roster spot may preclude Barker from getting a spot on the big club this season
--he may need to play in Norfolk just for CAP reasons--this could negatively impact the Hawks defensive success this year if Cullimore continues to stink like he dud last season,and would adversely affect the Hawks offense by omission if Barker isn't there. I cannot see them keeping Barker as 7th D-man to sit on the bench,nor can they afford both Cullimore and Barker even if Barker was 6th d-man
except for PP duty as that means Cullimore is a $1.9 million bench sitter...

Given the above--the Hawks should improve (including a rebound to form by Khabbibulin) but probably just to a near mid-pack non-playoff team (ie. they will draft approx 12-14th).

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 10:41 AM
hckyfan0099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkhead View Post
Ummm.... pass the pipe

really. are u serious?

We traded a lazy mark bell for Smolinski and Havlat!

and Calder for Handzus!

This team is very much improved especially since all of our rooks and young guys have gained one year experience. Bourque, Seabrook, Keith, Vandy, Vrbata etc.

And we lost an AHLer (Vorobiev) and Cullen who is a 3/4th at best.

Wow, we are done for! O NOES!!!111!!ONE!!31
O.K. I dont know how you can say Vorobiev is a AHLer. The guy can score and looking at the blackhawks who the **** else do we have to score besides Ruutu and Havlat? You could say Handzus but that is our first line. Hmmmm.... no what about our second and thrid line. Can anyone honestly say we are going to have a halfway decent second and third line? Will we rely on Borque and Smolinski and Verbata to pick up the slack for everyone else? And one year experience is gonna make everyone so much better that we will get out of second last?

Give me a break.

Old
08-15-2006, 10:59 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Actually, if the Hawks finish 14th instead of 15th, I will be really impressed and surprised...

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 11:08 AM
DirtyCrease

Ruutu is the key....if he is healthy then Chi will be a much better team this season. (obvious, I know) lol.

DirtyCrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

They really need to start well and build confidence though. If they start thinking they CAN do it, they will. If they get stuck in last year's rut, they're done.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 05:11 PM
expensivedirt

21 points in 39 games and 16 points in 29 games are nothing to sneer at. It's not like they had 21 and 16 points after a WHOLE season. They were great assets to your team.

They will definately be sorely missed.

expensivedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 01:24 PM
hab

I think you guys underestimate the hawks, a couple of gamebreakers like ruutu and
hlavac along with solid goaltending can make a huge difference on where this team finishes

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 04:38 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
That's the first time Jan Hlavac has ever been described as a game breaker.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Hawkhead

Quote:
O.K. I dont know how you can say Vorobiev is a AHLer. The guy can score and looking at the blackhawks who the **** else do we have to score besides Ruutu and Havlat? You could say Handzus but that is our first line. Hmmmm.... no what about our second and thrid line. Can anyone honestly say we are going to have a halfway decent second and third line? Will we rely on Borque and Smolinski and Verbata to pick up the slack for everyone else? And one year experience is gonna make everyone so much better that we will get out of second last?

Give me a break.

Wait you count Vorobiev as a scorer but not Bourque, Handzus or Vrbata? Each of those guys puts Vorobiev to shame.

Let me explain this to you, Vorobiev was playing in the A-H-L this makes him an AHLer if he isnt good enough to make the NHL.

Old
08-17-2006, 09:24 PM
hckyfan0099

Quote:
Let me explain this to you, Vorobiev was playing in the A-H-L this makes him an AHLer if he isnt good enough to make the NHL.
The only reason Vorobiev was in the AHL was because he had some confidence issues. Otherwise he would have been a scoring stud for the Blackhawks in the NHL!

Old
08-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Mr_Squeaks
Poor Impulse Control

The Hawks' time is coming - you seem to be gathering my favourite former Sens...

Mr_Squeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 12:24 AM
Hawkhead

Quote:
The only reason Vorobiev was in the AHL was because he had some confidence issues. Otherwise he would have been a scoring stud for the Blackhawks in the NHL!
Well if he was a scoring stud, then why did he turn rotten?

Give up man

Old
08-20-2006, 02:22 AM
Ezflow

Quote:
Well if he was a scoring stud, then why did he turn rotten?

Give up man
Furthermore the main reason he went back to Norfolk is because he couldn't cover in the defensive zone. And when he got to Norfolk I didn't hear anything about him going on a tear offensively.