HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Black Aces?- More Info please

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Black Aces?- More Info please

I saw the highlight on wedensdays game about a group of 5 players called the "black aces". I think they said the year was 1990, well i was only a little 2 year old back then... so can someone give me some infomation on the black aces?

Old
11-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Servo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
I saw the highlight on wedensdays game about a group of 5 players called the "black aces". I think they said the year was 1990, well i was only a little 2 year old back then... so can someone give me some infomation on the black aces?
I'm not sure where the term originated, but I believe it was used for many years during the Neil Smith eral (perhaps before) to refer to the nightly healthy scratches (usually veterans that I remember, but not always) who would obviously fill in wherever needed.

I believe the Black Aces from the 1994 Cup team included Ed Olczyk, Greg Gilbert, Mike Hartman, Mike Hudson, and likely some others I'm forgetting.

Old
11-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo
I'm not sure where the term originated, but I believe it was used for many years during the Neil Smith eral (perhaps before) to refer to the nightly healthy scratches (usually veterans that I remember, but not always) who would obviously fill in wherever needed.

I believe the Black Aces from the 1994 Cup team included Ed Olczyk, Greg Gilbert, Mike Hartman, Mike Hudson, and likely some others I'm forgetting.
And the defensemen names Andersson, and Karpovstev I believe.

I know they were called the black Aces in 94'.... not sure about before that. They were the fringe players ... I think their were 5 or 6.

Old
11-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Fletch

I think they were....

Eddie O, Peter Andersson, Phil Bourque, Karpovtsev & Mike Hudson. Although I do not believe Bourque and Andersson made it past the trade deadline. There was the classic goal scored by Andersson where he pointed up to the booth.

Old
11-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I guess it was 94.. i was only 5 then i did get into hockey in the playoffs that year though.. couldnt properly enjoy the cup win though.
Thanks for the info... that Andersson highlight was great

Old
11-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
I guess it was 94.. i was only 5 then i did get into hockey in the playoffs that year though.. couldnt properly enjoy the cup win though.
Thanks for the info... that Andersson highlight was great

Only 5??? My God... I'd been married 9 years in 94..... And NO do not ask how old I am.

Old
11-14-2003, 04:00 PM
Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Eddie O, Peter Andersson, Phil Bourque, Karpovtsev & Mike Hudson. Although I do not believe Bourque and Andersson made it past the trade deadline. There was the classic goal scored by Andersson where he pointed up to the booth.
Wasn't that Lidster?

Old
11-14-2003, 04:28 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link
Wasn't that Lidster?
According to Sam and JD, it was Andersson (who was traded). Lidster didn't score a goal during the regular season (although he did have two in the playoffs). Karpovstev played in 67 regular season games and 17 playoff games, he must have been a honorary member.

Old
11-14-2003, 04:29 PM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link
Wasn't that Lidster?
You mean Seinfeld?

Old
11-14-2003, 04:35 PM
dedalus

The aces were Olczyk, Hartman, Lidster, Andersson, and Bourque. Healy was a kinda member too.

Karpovtsev played on the 3rd pairing with Wells.

Old
11-14-2003, 04:48 PM
Edge

that is correct, but you forgot about kypreos.

Old
11-14-2003, 04:54 PM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
that is correct, but you forgot about kypreos.
I thought it was kind of a fluid group, not just a specific five guys - although Eddie O was definitely the definitive Black Ace.

I notice my inclusion of Gilbert was wrong, he played 76 games that year.

Old
11-14-2003, 05:13 PM
evman150*

Black Aces is an old term, not necessarily originally used by the Rangers. The oldest reference I've seen to the word was in Don Cherry's book Grapes, where he described his Bruin healthy scratches as "black aces". It was probably used even before then (early 70s).

Old
11-14-2003, 10:19 PM
riz

On Eddie O...

I'll always remember him as the "third russian" playing on a line with Sergei Nemchinov and Alexei Kovalev. Boy oh boy. I'll never forget that one game against (then tragically comical) Senators where that line scored some 3 goals and they were beauties. On one of the goals, all three contributed as they criss-crossed the neutral zone with a few nice drop passes and behind-the-back passes. On the most memorable goal, it was Kovy who deked around a d-man (who stumbled to his knees because he didn't know which way AK was going), before pulling a stunning deke-forehand-backhand-forehand-move on the goalie (Billington I believe) who was already fooled and sliding one way when Kovy pulled it back to his forehand and roofed it to the empty net while falling down.

Ahh...those were the times

Old
11-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
My fondest memory of Eddie O (besides the "heave-ho, two in a row!" chant after they won the Cup) was when he chased down a puck to negate an icing call, dove, and ended up injuring his shoulder I believe in the process. He was the ultimate hard-working team-oriented guy.

Old
11-15-2003, 05:05 AM
LeServ

Speaking of Kypreos (and forgive me if it's been noted; I haven't been in here much of late) but I saw him playing a hockey player in an Arliss episode. Man, he was horrible!

Old
11-15-2003, 05:29 AM
Fletch

Riz...

I remember the same game. Afterwards, I believe the line got the 'player' of the game award and was interviewed afterwards. AK could barely speak english, and Segei wasn't much better. Eddie O basically handled all the question. The line, however, was quite shortlived. I had that on a videotape (the interview) and now you're going to make me look for it (it's on the same tape as the Messier-Zelepukin 'fight' - a great regular season game).

Old
11-15-2003, 09:57 AM
riz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I remember the same game. Afterwards, I believe the line got the 'player' of the game award and was interviewed afterwards. AK could barely speak english, and Segei wasn't much better. Eddie O basically handled all the question. The line, however, was quite shortlived. I had that on a videotape (the interview) and now you're going to make me look for it (it's on the same tape as the Messier-Zelepukin 'fight' - a great regular season game).
Lol, I had that game on tape back in Finland too. Nowadays I've got no idea where that tape is. Probably taped some other games over that one at some point

Closed Thread