HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

50 goals against

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2003, 05:51 AM
Bignasti

vCash: 500
50 goals against

Funny to mention it after perhaps our best defensive night of the season but that's tied for the most in the league. Wow, I didn't realize things were that bad. Surely we can't pin that all on Tommy. What's happened in two years since we were one of the top defensive teams in the league?! Our slumping pk is part of it too I guess.

Old
11-14-2003, 06:10 AM
momentai

Being near the bottom of the league in pk percentage is a huge detriment to the goals we're giving up. I think they've given up 20 goals alone while shorthanded so far this year.

Also, it is of importance to note that EVERY single dmen jumps into the rush at times. I've seen Staios, Brew, Smith, Cross, Ferguson, Bergeron, and Semenov jump into the play. A couple times too many the resulting counterattack ends up in our net... or a whole lot of pressure as the Oil are scrambling to recover.

Old
11-14-2003, 06:13 AM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to McThome
what's went wrong? We've got more and more youth in the lineup which is just about never good for a team defensively. Also, after missing the playoffs because we couldn't score - it was drove into the who organization and cities (us) head that we needed to score more, more, more!!!! Also, in that time we've lost Grier, Murray, and Marchant who were all really important to our team defensively. To replace them we have Reasoner (which is great) but after that we have kids or Laraque, and that makes it tough.

Old
11-14-2003, 04:26 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignasti
Funny to mention it after perhaps our best defensive night of the season but that's tied for the most in the league. Wow, I didn't realize things were that bad. Surely we can't pin that all on Tommy. What's happened in two years since we were one of the top defensive teams in the league?! Our slumping pk is part of it too I guess.
As long as we continue to score, what does it matter? Wins are wins, regardless of the reason we get them. Score more, allow less, it doesn't matter. Even better if ya do both. A #1 center would help us with both.

Old
11-14-2003, 05:47 PM
McJadeddog

the thing is we're scoring more and winning about the same.... so to me this is a HUGE plus.... and not just because higher scoring games are more exciting..... the really big advantage of playing "scorers" is that they will score and they will also eventually learn to play defense.... the same thing cannot usually be said about players who cant score but play defense.... essentially it boils down this: you cant teach a player talent or scoring prowess but you *can* teach a player defense

so for this reason, i would much rather have the oilers go with their talented young players, because they will eventually learn systems and defensive play..... but will the older more defensive players suddenly sprout gifted hands? i think not

Old
11-14-2003, 09:13 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i wonder since i don't get to watch any of the games if the defencemen are responsible for the extra increase in both the goals scored and conceded department or if it is more to the forwards having worked out a proper system.

I am pretty sure its the latter, furthermore if the defence abandon their current defensive (system?) and adapted another how much will it affect the goals scored?

Old
11-15-2003, 04:58 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
the thing is we're scoring more and winning about the same.... so to me this is a HUGE plus.... and not just because higher scoring games are more exciting..... the really big advantage of playing "scorers" is that they will score and they will also eventually learn to play defense.... the same thing cannot usually be said about players who cant score but play defense.... essentially it boils down this: you cant teach a player talent or scoring prowess but you *can* teach a player defense

so for this reason, i would much rather have the oilers go with their talented young players, because they will eventually learn systems and defensive play..... but will the older more defensive players suddenly sprout gifted hands? i think not
I agree with this line of thinking.

The Oilers aren't trying to win the Cup in the next two weeks, they're figuring out who has the skills to play in this league. Defense will come with maturity and coaching.

Closed Thread