Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

THN Top 50 - 5 Flames

Old
08-15-2006, 02:14 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
THN Top 50 - 5 Flames

The Hockey News top 50 has Kipper at #1, Iggy at #7, Phaneuf at #32, Tanguay at #43 and Regehr at #44.

Pretty good representation for the Flames.

http://fiveholefanatics.blogspot.com/

Last edited by abracanada: 08-15-2006 at 02:20 PM.
abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 02:19 PM
da_pope*

Oilers - 1.

Win

da_pope* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 02:46 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
The Hockey News top 50 has Kipper at #1, Iggy at #7, Phaneuf at #32, Tanguay at #43 and Regehr at #44.
Phaneuf ahead of Tanguay and Regehr is silly. He had alot of points but he has along way to go before being rated ahead of a top 10 defencemen like Regehr.

Oh well.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 02:51 PM
da_pope*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Phaneuf ahead of Tanguay and Regehr is silly. He had alot of points but he has along way to go before being rated ahead of a top 10 defencemen like Regehr.

Oh well.
Really?
I don't think so. This time next year he could very well have past Regher on the depth chart.

da_pope* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 02:52 PM
abracanada

Quote:

Oh well.
The order in a few places are questionable, but I like the fact that so many Flames were considered for inclusion.

Old
08-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

If Phaneuf were to match his rookie year, I'd be happy. To expect an improvement to justify that sort of ranking seems a little too much of a dream.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 04:39 PM
vbet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
If Phaneuf were to match his rookie year, I'd be happy. To expect an improvement to justify that sort of ranking seems a little too much of a dream.
I can see him improving this year. He learned a ton from the playoffs last year.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 04:52 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
The order in a few places are questionable, but I like the fact that so many Flames were considered for inclusion.
Yup agreed. I remember when Fluery was the only guy close to the top 50.

Old
08-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Java

2 defenseman, 2 forwards, and 1 goalie. Seems to me the team is looking good on all fronts.

Java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 08:46 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Yup agreed. I remember when Fluery was the only guy close to the top 50.
Hey Adam, could you post part II to you inteview over here? It is really great.

Old
08-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Phaneuf_for_calder

Quote:

Oh well.

Don't even try to talk

Phaneuf_for_calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 10:23 AM
bert

Have fun with the giant expectations..... Im glad this title has switched from the Sens to the Flames. As a sens fan anything less then a win day in day out and a cup in the end was a dissapointment. Well when the team continually dissapointed it made being a fan no fun. I hope Ottawa finishes 7th or 8th this year....

I kindof feel bad for you guys though it sucks to have overhyped expectations in such an unpredictable sport.

But for example why this list in my opinion isnt very good. They have Dany Heatley as the highest ranked Senator. Well he rode Alfredsson and Spezza hard last year and was probably the worst Sen in the playoffs (based on expectations). He just isnt the player he was when he was with Atlanta.

Redden is not the 16th best player in the nhl. He really isnt that good.

To be honest Hossa is way better then any sen on that list and he is 24th for some reason, massively underated.

Kipper at number one is nice yet debatable, Iggy at 7 is pretty accurate. Phaneuf at 32 is pretty wild imho. Regher on the list is also debatable especially ranked higher then McCAbe. I think Tanguay should be higher especially considering how high the likes of Heatley, Gaborik, Zetterberg, Doan and Havlat are.

Anyways I dont like the list much but to each is there own.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 10:44 AM
hckyfan0099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
If Phaneuf were to improve from his rookie year that would be great. He scored 20 goals his rookie season as a defenceman. He was ahead of guys like Zendo chara and tied with Rafalski. That is very impressive as a rookie. I hope he grows into a better player.

hckyfan0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 11:40 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Have fun with the giant expectations..... Im glad this title has switched from the Sens to the Flames. As a sens fan anything less then a win day in day out and a cup in the end was a dissapointment. Well when the team continually dissapointed it made being a fan no fun. I hope Ottawa finishes 7th or 8th this year....

I kindof feel bad for you guys though it sucks to have overhyped expectations in such an unpredictable sport.

But for example why this list in my opinion isnt very good. They have Dany Heatley as the highest ranked Senator. Well he rode Alfredsson and Spezza hard last year and was probably the worst Sen in the playoffs (based on expectations). He just isnt the player he was when he was with Atlanta.

Redden is not the 16th best player in the nhl. He really isnt that good.

To be honest Hossa is way better then any sen on that list and he is 24th for some reason, massively underated.

Kipper at number one is nice yet debatable, Iggy at 7 is pretty accurate. Phaneuf at 32 is pretty wild imho. Regher on the list is also debatable especially ranked higher then McCAbe. I think Tanguay should be higher especially considering how high the likes of Heatley, Gaborik, Zetterberg, Doan and Havlat are.

Anyways I dont like the list much but to each is there own.
These lists are lists. Not really something that is going to matter one iota by the end of the season. Can't take them too serious, but ya gotta love how they have kept the invading hordes from the Oilers at bay for a day or two anyway.

Old
08-16-2006, 12:14 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
These lists are lists. Not really something that is going to matter one iota by the end of the season. Can't take them too serious, but ya gotta love how they have kept the invading hordes from the Oilers at bay for a day or two anyway.
Have there ever been 'hordes' on the HF Flames forum? Ghost towns have more going on than this place.

That said, I will oblige;

Kipper is deserving of his ranking.

Iginla at 7 laughable.

Phaneuf at 32 has me rolling on the floor.

Tanguay is probably realistic, although there are a whole whack of guys that could probably be argued for just as deserving.

Regehr at 44 has me convinced that the writer is either a) on the Flames payroll or b) missed his medication on the day of publication.

Happy?

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 01:41 PM
abracanada

Well, Phaneuf is probably overrated. Iggy off of last years performance during the regular season, you have a point. I think though, that they looked a lot at potential and performance in the playoffs (Pronger #2).

As big a shock as this may be, Iggy is still an elite hockey player. Many would like to suggest otherwise, but he is.

Tanguay is deserving. What is with slagging Regehr though? The guy is a "monster" to quote my favorite pundit.

Old
08-16-2006, 01:44 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_for_calder View Post
Don't even try to talk
Amazing point.

Old
08-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Eradicator

Quoting last years article, the rankings are "based on track record and projected play this season". Has Phaneuf surpassed Regehr to date? No. Might he do so based on optimistic projection for this coming season? THN seems to think so.

Eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 02:11 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Well, Phaneuf is probably overrated.
Phaneuf may very well be deserving of a top 50 ranking a couple years if he progresses as expected. The guy is obviously an elite level prospect but outside of perhaps Crosby and Ovechkin I don't think a first year player can be established enough to be considered in the top 50.

Quote:
Iggy off of last years performance during the regular season, you have a point. I think though, that they looked a lot at potential and performance in the playoffs (Pronger #2).
Iggy, despite our disagreement over what we expect from him this year points wise, is definately top 50. #7 though? Not in my eyes.

Pronger as well, and believe it or not this doesn't come from a place of bitterness, isn't #2 either. Top 10 without a doubt, but prior to the playoffs the guy wasn't being talked about as a guy that is deserving of such a high billing. He had a great playoffs no doubt but how much weight can really be given for simply one playoffs? There are 14 teams that can't show case their stars in the playoffs at all which can be seen as a slight when assessing individual talent and even then 14 teams that do make the show probably have guys that could be seen in a similar light but had shorter runs and therefore less exposure.

For example, turn back the clock 2 years and you can probably switch Pronger with Richards or even Iginla for that matter.

But it isn't anything new for hockey pundants to put so much weight on the last few games they see and wether I like it or not Pronger is the guy that probably benefitted most from that situation.

Quote:
As big a shock as this may be, Iggy is still an elite hockey player. Many would like to suggest otherwise, but he is.
As I said, top 50 no doubt but not #7

Quote:
Tanguay is deserving.
Possibly, but there once you get to a certain point an argument could probably be made for a number of different players.

Quote:
What is with slagging Regehr though? The guy is a "monster" to quote my favorite pundit.
Sure he is a fantastic defenseman but we are talking about the top 50 players in a pool of over 750 to choose from. It's not a slag on him if I figure he falls outside of the first 50.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote