HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

NYC to Philly

Old
08-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Beastieboy

vCash: 500
NYC to Philly

Hello,

First post on the board... I am a long-time Flyers fan from Winnipeg. I've seen the Flyers play many times in the Peg (now I have to settle for the Phantoms) and also went to Montreal to see them play last year (and they were blown out 5-0). Anyways, my wife and I are planning a trip to NYC in late October and I want to take a day trip to Philly to catch a Flyers game and see some of Philadelphia. Is there anyone on the board that has made that commute from NYC to Philly and back for a game? Just wondered if anyone has any tips on logistics or whether it is sketchy to be taking the trains late at night on the way back, or whatever.

Any other tips on getting tickets (box office, scalper, eBay... what is the best option?) would be appreciated.

By the way, I saw Flyers goalie prospect Rejean Beauchemin at the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (Canadian Football League) game last week. Didn't talk to him, but I did once last summer when I saw him at a bar and he was a good guy. Grew up as a Habs fan but glad to be playing in Philly.

Cheers

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 10:45 AM
chthonic

i travel between NYC and Philly regularly. I usually take the chinatown bus, but thats kind of unreliable. I'd recommend taking NJ Transit from Penn Station in NY (its right below MSG) to 30th Street Station in Philly. Thats real safe, no worries there. From 30th street you can just grab a cab, theres a ton waiting outside. Or if you want to see how we do it, take the Subway. Our subway system is really small/easy. Market Frankford line runs east/west, Broad St Line runs north/south. You would take the Market Frankford East (blue) to 15th street where theres free interchange with the Broad St South (orange). The end of the line on the Broad line is the sports complex. Subways can be sketchy, thought i've never had a real problem.

http://www.njtransit.com/
http://septa.org/

ps i havent had good luck with scalpers, maybe you will. but in the playoffs last year, i found ebay tickets that were CHEAPER than face value. it was awesome.

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by chthonic View Post
I'd recommend taking NJ Transit from Penn Station in NY (its right below MSG) to 30th Street Station in Philly.
You can't take NJ Transit the whole way. You've got to change to a SEPTA train in Trenton.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 10:53 AM
chthonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
You can't take NJ Transit the whole way. You've got to change to a SEPTA train in Trenton.
ive never ridden past trenton. which i would highly recommend NOT spending a lot of time in. but the NJ transit schedules have 30th street on them, ive never checked it out though

Old
08-16-2006, 11:05 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
ive never ridden past trenton. which i would highly recommend NOT spending a lot of time in. but the NJ transit schedules have 30th street on them, ive never checked it out though
yeah i think from NYC nj transit you can pay for your septa ticket there too. still need to hop over at trenton, which IS nasty but no big deal if you stay in the station

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 11:12 AM
NJFlyer42

If you want to spend the extra $$, you can take Amtrak all the way from Penn Station to 30th St. in Philly no changing.

NJFlyer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
The schedule beyond Trenton are for SEPTA trains, so that you have both on one piece of paper. You can also leave the station and walk across the street and take the River Line, which is cheaper and has a very scenic route, but the trade off is that it takes longer, doesn't run as often or as late and you have to take the PATCO to Philly from Camden. If you've got the time and you're going to/from South Jersey, it's a fine option.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 11:40 AM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFlyer42 View Post
If you want to spend the extra $$, you can take Amtrak all the way from Penn Station to 30th St. in Philly no changing.
thats what i would do. amtrak is the best forgottenabout mode of transportation in the united states

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 11:45 AM
chthonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlacheesesteak View Post
thats what i would do. amtrak is the best forgottenabout mode of transportation in the united states
its not forgotten, its expensive.

Old
08-16-2006, 02:31 PM
mercury

Amtrak would be what, $80? NJ Transit to SEPTA is better, and about $38, IIRC. I was even woken up by a SEPTA worker when I was passed out drunk on a bench in Trenton, and he got me on the R7 home.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 02:47 PM
QuadDeuces

Send a message via AIM to QuadDeuces
I'll +1 what everyone else is saying. Take the NJ Transit to Trenton and change to the SEPTA R7 train. The local transit in Philly is easy to figure out.

If you go to Philly make sure you check out Pat's King of Steaks. The original, and best cheesesteak ever.

http://patssteaks.com/

-- George.

QuadDeuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 03:21 PM
orangeandblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan079 View Post
I'll +1 what everyone else is saying. Take the NJ Transit to Trenton and change to the SEPTA R7 train. The local transit in Philly is easy to figure out.

If you go to Philly make sure you check out Pat's King of Steaks. The original, and best cheesesteak ever.

-- George.
id also recommend chickies and petes down by the stadiums/arenas, i think it was voted like the 3td best sports bar in the country by espn.

orangeandblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 03:58 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Amtrak would be what, $80? NJ Transit to SEPTA is better, and about $38, IIRC. I was even woken up by a SEPTA worker when I was passed out drunk on a bench in Trenton, and he got me on the R7 home.
***?? 80 dollars a ticket??? Jesus

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 04:06 PM
GameFace247SON
@NHLonICE

Send a message via AIM to GameFace247SON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan079 View Post

-- George.
I'd unrecommend Pat's or Geno's as strongly as possible. Tourist pap. If you need a fix I'd recommend any street vendor or Ishkabibble's at 3rd and South.

GameFace247SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Gert B Frobe

off topic but Steaks on South is new and very, very good...

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2006, 11:03 PM
QuadDeuces

Send a message via AIM to QuadDeuces
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameFace247SON View Post
I'd unrecommend Pat's or Geno's as strongly as possible. Tourist pap. If you need a fix I'd recommend any street vendor or Ishkabibble's at 3rd and South.
Really? I thought it was a very good cheesesteak. Can't speak for Geno's, didn't go there.

-- George.

QuadDeuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Tat2dRich

Send a message via Yahoo to Tat2dRich
Quote:
i travel between NYC and Philly regularly. I usually take the chinatown bus, but thats kind of unreliable. I'd recommend taking NJ Transit from Penn Station in NY (its right below MSG) to 30th Street Station in Philly. Thats real safe, no worries there. From 30th street you can just grab a cab, theres a ton waiting outside. Or if you want to see how we do it, take the Subway. Our subway system is really small/easy. Market Frankford line runs east/west, Broad St Line runs north/south. You would take the Market Frankford East (blue) to 15th street where theres free interchange with the Broad St South (orange). The end of the line on the Broad line is the sports complex. Subways can be sketchy, thought i've never had a real problem.

http://www.njtransit.com/
http://septa.org/

ps i havent had good luck with scalpers, maybe you will. but in the playoffs last year, i found ebay tickets that were CHEAPER than face value. it was awesome.
I don't trust scalpers at all, go to stubhub.com and have tickets in hand, especially if it's a "big" game.

I do Amtrak to 30th st, Market/Frankfort El or R6 Line to Market East Station, Broad St Subway to the Sports Complex. You will NEVER have a problem on the Broad St subway going to a game, it's 99,99% fans going to the game.

If the game goes very late they keep the Broad St Subway going, but you might have to take a cab from Market East Stn. to 30th St. because the El and R6 shut down at midnight, I think.

Enjoy the Game

Tat2dRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 09:36 AM
orangeandblack

Quote:
i agree, the only time i eat geno's or pat's is at 2:30 in the morning and someone is driving to get food after being out all night. steve's prince of steaks is the best steak in philly, but their 2 locations are in the northeast, a drive from center city. its pretty tough to get a bad cheesesteak in philly, unless you get one from wawa.

orangeandblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
omg...mind blank.....What's the name of the cheesesteak place on South Street near the TLA.........Jim's Steaks. Go there. When the line isn't long.

Oh and one more thing,don't pull a Paolo Gregoletto and ask for a sub,you will get laughed at

Nikkowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:15 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
If you go to Geno's, make sure you can speak English otherwise your out of luck.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:28 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Ditto on the Ishkabibbles. Awful name, but great food. Also, check out Fez, an excellent Moroccan restaurant, I believe on South St and Second.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Beastieboy

Thanks so far...

I'd like to thank everyone for the tips so far... on subway lines, tickets, and cheese steaks. Maybe I should have started a "Greatest Cheese Steak" thread instead.

On the tickets, do all the tickets basically sell out at the beginning of the season as soon as they are available? That is what happens in Montreal, when I went there last year eBay and scalpers were my only options but ended up getting a sweet deal on some tickets from some guys from Toronto (of all places... I know it is shocking!), paid $75 per ticket for some $95 face value seats behind the net.

I guess I'll try to buy a pair when individual seats go on sale or else look to eBay or the recommended stubhub.com.

Keep the info coming, I am sure it is useful to lots of people thinking of making a pilgrimage to the holy land of Broad Street, the Spectrum and Wachovia Center...

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 11:01 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
I'd like to thank everyone for the tips so far... on subway lines, tickets, and cheese steaks. Maybe I should have started a "Greatest Cheese Steak" thread instead.

On the tickets, do all the tickets basically sell out at the beginning of the season as soon as they are available? That is what happens in Montreal, when I went there last year eBay and scalpers were my only options but ended up getting a sweet deal on some tickets from some guys from Toronto (of all places... I know it is shocking!), paid $75 per ticket for some $95 face value seats behind the net.

I guess I'll try to buy a pair when individual seats go on sale or else look to eBay or the recommended stubhub.com.

Keep the info coming, I am sure it is useful to lots of people thinking of making a pilgrimage to the holy land of Broad Street, the Spectrum and Wachovia Center...
I have not had much trouble getting tickets, but then again, I rarely go to games. It would be wise to purchase several months in advance. Also, if you plan venturing in the city, get to know the subway system. Although I can't tell you the exact whereabouts of anything of interest, I can assure you they aren't in comfortable walking distance to the stadiums.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 12:05 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post

Ebay is actually a good place to get tickets. Just make sure you buy from someone with a good rating. if not, Ticketmaster should always be another option, but you may get a $3-$5 service charge per ticket.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 05:42 AM
gaglinefan

Goin to Philly

We go alot cause its my wife's hometown (nice rivalry, eh? NYR vs. well you know...). NJ transit is economical, if you are doing a day trip Amtrak is really comfortable, when you go business class they seve you Starbucks coffee for free all the way down. We look forward to some classic Flyers-Rangers matchups this year , best to all.

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote