HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Claude Lemieux or Esa Tikkanen?

Old
08-22-2006, 05:24 PM
revolverjgw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
My reasoning behind picking Esa over Claude, is simply i'm not a fan of the 'goon'. The guy who goes out there with the intent of just starting fights and no offensive capability. Esa was more of an aggravator, he would just knock people off their game by just yaping at them the entire game, bumping, hitting, basically grinding out every game, BUT he could also come up big in the clutch. Where as guys like Claude were just on the ice to basically take people out. Now if thats your thing then thats fine, and i'm not knocking him or saying I dislike him because he was a Devil. Its just simply I dont like theose guys who's sole purpose is to go out and hurt someone. To use a relavent player, Hollweg, now i'm not his biggest fan but some call him a goon. When in reality he is just a banger, a guy who plays hard every shift. Yes at times he needs to learn to focus on the game more than trying to target a guy. But most people dont know that he is actually fairly good at breakaways and can actually score goals. Thats the kind of guy I like, not the 'goon". Feel free to disagree .
You're greatly underestimating Claude's abilities as a player, and I think you're overestimating his evilness (by a tad!), but for argument's sake, even if he WAS as Satanic as you claim, Claude just... won. And won repeatedly, and was always a key cog.

Naughty or not, you want a guy like that on your team. Maybe more than Tikkanen and maybe not, but some of you guys claiming you wouldn't even want Claude on your team under any circumstance are crazytalkin'. It's a mean contact sport and everyone gets away with whatever they can get away with. Even if I hated him, I'd want him on my team because it would get us closer to the Cup... and as a bonus he'd be with us, not against us!

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Transported Upstater

I'd take Tikkanen.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 03:08 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
My reasoning behind picking Esa over Claude, is simply i'm not a fan of the 'goon'. The guy who goes out there with the intent of just starting fights and no offensive capability. Esa was more of an aggravator, he would just knock people off their game by just yaping at them the entire game, bumping, hitting, basically grinding out every game, BUT he could also come up big in the clutch. Where as guys like Claude were just on the ice to basically take people out. Now if thats your thing then thats fine, and i'm not knocking him or saying I dislike him because he was a Devil. Its just simply I dont like theose guys who's sole purpose is to go out and hurt someone. To use a relavent player, Hollweg, now i'm not his biggest fan but some call him a goon. When in reality he is just a banger, a guy who plays hard every shift. Yes at times he needs to learn to focus on the game more than trying to target a guy. But most people dont know that he is actually fairly good at breakaways and can actually score goals. Thats the kind of guy I like, not the 'goon". Feel free to disagree .
What bugs me about posters like you, and it probably bugs me more than anything else, is you can't give credit where it is due. A goon? Lemieux was a key player on three Cup champs, and played for a fourth. Goons don't win the most sought-after individual trophy in hockey. (The Conn Smythe). Goons don't elevate their play when it matters most as often as Lemieux did.

Lemieux had a great shot, too. It was hard and accurate. Lemieux also had great hand-eye coordination.

Comparing Lemieux to Ryan Hollweg is one of the worst, stupidest and most assinine comparisons I have ever heard in 20 years of watching and being associated with hockey. Hollweg is a fourth liner. Claude Lemieux is a four-time Cup champion who scored over 450 goals in the NHL (including playoffs).

I can't stand Lemieux. He faked injuries, he dove, he was a cheap shot artist, and according to one coach in New Jersey, he was a cancer. But if I'm in the playoffs (you know, the hockey that actually matters), I want him on my team, because I know he's going to pot two or three crucial goals a series. And if I'm in a Game 7, then I want him on my team even more. He is far more than a goon.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 04:00 AM
Hunter Gathers
Raise hell and . . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Tikkanen all the way.

Hunter Gathers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 08:02 PM
xeric716x