HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Why not 2 trades?

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2003, 08:41 AM
Asiaoil

vCash: 500
Why not 2 trades?

Well since the San Jose rumors popped up – why not two deals instead of one:

Deal #1 Comrie and Ferguson for Stuart – we get the offensive dman we need and the Sharks get to pair Comrie with Marleau (which we all wanted to do here). I don’t think the Sharks trade Marleau for MC with Damphouse so close to retirement, but they do have depth on defense and Stuart has struggled. This may do-able I think.

Deal #2 – Horcoff and Laraque for Stefan and a draft pick. Rita may also be available in a one for one swap – but I think Atlanta needs a center coming back. Stefan would be fine in Edmonton and he had his best game of the season with Lowe in the stands. Looks like he wants to be here and why not with Dvorak and Hemmer here already. Supposedly Atlanta wanted Horcoff last year at the draft in trade talks.

Our lineup after the trades:

Smyth York Dvorak
Torres Stefan Isbister/Hemsky
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Chimera Stoll Isbister/Hemsky

Brewer Staios
Smith Stuart
Cross Semi/Bergeron

The other option is to wait out this season and hope our young centers are more able to step up next year. This team has made a big investment in drafting centers recently – so it could be short-sighted to give up too much to get one right now even though we obviously have an immediate need. That’s why it would be nice to get Stuart for MC and use spare parts for Stefan.

Old
11-14-2003, 08:44 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Looks like Isbester will be involved in a trade shortly

Old
11-14-2003, 08:49 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
What does that mean

Old
11-14-2003, 08:52 AM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Quote:
Where d'ya hear that? I haven't heard anything yet.

As for the 2 trade idea - I'm all for it. I just can't see K-Lo doing a second trade this early into the year. He is more of a "at the deadline" kind of guy.

I think we could trade Rita + A pick for Stefan. No need to throw in Horcoff. Although - I wouldn't mind getting rid of Horcoff now that his true colours have come out.

As for Stuart - I'm not convinced he's the answer in the Comrie trade but he's about all we could probably get out of San Jose. I'd much rather see Lowe bundle up a package of Comrie/Laraque or Comrie/Pisani for Marleau. Or Comrie + 2nd Pick for Marleau.

Something tells me that the day San Jose gives Marleau to us is the day I retire young.

Old
11-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
ummm. don't think so. and it's Isbister.

Old
11-14-2003, 09:03 AM
nikeisevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
ummm. don't think so. and it's Isbister.
Ha ha...

Old
11-14-2003, 09:06 AM
barto

I'm not sure ANYONE's seen Horcoff's "true colors" yet. Is he the guy who's struggled this year and over several past years, or the guy who played so strongly down the stretch and into the WCs last spring? Lowe and MacT have been saying that Horcoff's more the strong player that we finally saw late last year, and they might give him more chances to regain that form. They sure seemed to give Cleary lots of chances, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were reluctant to give up on Horcoff just yet.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't cry if he was traded, but I just don't know if Lowe is 'ready' to yet. Probably not until Reasoner's back, just for depth if anything else.

As for Marleau, well, who knows.. some of the fans are ready for him to get a change of scenery, but we know how much input fans have into the trading process from our experiences HERE... not very much!

Bart

Old
11-14-2003, 11:40 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
Where d'ya hear that? I haven't heard anything yet.

As for the 2 trade idea - I'm all for it. I just can't see K-Lo doing a second trade this early into the year. He is more of a "at the deadline" kind of guy.

I think we could trade Rita + A pick for Stefan. No need to throw in Horcoff. Although - I wouldn't mind getting rid of Horcoff now that his true colours have come out.

As for Stuart - I'm not convinced he's the answer in the Comrie trade but he's about all we could probably get out of San Jose. I'd much rather see Lowe bundle up a package of Comrie/Laraque or Comrie/Pisani for Marleau. Or Comrie + 2nd Pick for Marleau.

Something tells me that the day San Jose gives Marleau to us is the day I retire young.
Sure I'd give MC plus something to get Marleau - but I don't think the Sharks do that (although stranger things have happened). After Damp-house is gone that would leave them with MC and not much else (not good) as opposed to having both MC and Marleau (much better) if they traded a dman for comrie instead. The sharks also have depth on d so that's my reasoning.

As for Stefan - sure Rita could probably do it - but I would rather clear out some of our existing bottom six talent to make way for kids coming up the ranks. Any two of Chimera, Laraque or Horcoff for Stefan would be better than losing Rita but I don't know if Atlanta does that.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:43 AM
kyle

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Well since the San Jose rumors popped up ? why not two deals instead of one:

Deal #1 Comrie and Ferguson for Stuart ? we get the offensive dman we need and the Sharks get to pair Comrie with Marleau (which we all wanted to do here). I don?t think the Sharks trade Marleau for MC with Damphouse so close to retirement, but they do have depth on defense and Stuart has struggled. This may do-able I think.

Deal #2 ? Horcoff and Laraque for Stefan and a draft pick. Rita may also be available in a one for one swap ? but I think Atlanta needs a center coming back. Stefan would be fine in Edmonton and he had his best game of the season with Lowe in the stands. Looks like he wants to be here and why not with Dvorak and Hemmer here already. Supposedly Atlanta wanted Horcoff last year at the draft in trade talks.

Our lineup after the trades:

Smyth York Dvorak
Torres Stefan Isbister/Hemsky
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Chimera Stoll Isbister/Hemsky

Brewer Staios
Smith Stuart
Cross Semi/Bergeron

The other option is to wait out this season and hope our young centers are more able to step up next year. This team has made a big investment in drafting centers recently ? so it could be short-sighted to give up too much to get one right now even though we obviously have an immediate need. That?s why it would be nice to get Stuart for MC and use spare parts for Stefan.
I like these trades quite a bit actually. Out of a lot of trade rumors I hear about prospects and rookies in return (Lupul, Woywitka, Boyes, Grebeshkov or whatever it is, etc.) and I think that the Oilers would strongly benefit from a return that can immediately step into the lineup. I've always been a fan of Stuart and I've been waiting for Stefan to break out for quite a while. From my understanding, San Jose has an abundance of defensive prospect and they aren't making a run for the cup this year so losing Stuart is definitely an option for them.

If I was K-Lo, I'd pull the trigger. Unfortunately, I'm not.. and so we must wait to see what happens.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:44 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Sure I'd give MC plus something to get Marleau - but I don't think the Sharks do that (although stranger things have happened). After Damp-house is gone that would leave them with MC and not much else (not good) as opposed to having both MC and Marleau (much better) if they traded a dman for comrie instead. The sharks also have depth on d so that's my reasoning.

As for Stefan - sure Rita could probably do it - but I would rather clear out some of our existing bottom six talent to make way for kids coming up the ranks. Any two of Chimera, Laraque or Horcoff for Stefan would be better than losing Rita but I don't know if Atlanta does that.
Why do we assume SJ has untouchable players. I mean, they're sharing the bottom of the Pacific division with Phoenix. If Wilson wants to shake things up, he'll trade Marleau.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:45 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
I'm not sure ANYONE's seen Horcoff's "true colors" yet. Is he the guy who's struggled this year and over several past years, or the guy who played so strongly down the stretch and into the WCs last spring? Lowe and MacT have been saying that Horcoff's more the strong player that we finally saw late last year, and they might give him more chances to regain that form. They sure seemed to give Cleary lots of chances, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were reluctant to give up on Horcoff just yet.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't cry if he was traded, but I just don't know if Lowe is 'ready' to yet. Probably not until Reasoner's back, just for depth if anything else.

As for Marleau, well, who knows.. some of the fans are ready for him to get a change of scenery, but we know how much input fans have into the trading process from our experiences HERE... not very much!

Bart
giving cleary lots of chances sure panned out wonderfully...

i wonder if the oilers brass can learn from previous mistakes or if we are doomed to repeatedly watch them toss "potential" crap on the ice and then pretend that it doesn't stink.

lowe should have unloaded horcoff when his value was high. for mid-range talent he should follow the secret to stock market success: don't fall in love with a commodity. if you have a chance to move something for more than you paid for it then do it. every time.

Old
11-14-2003, 11:51 AM
Mizral

I like the first trade. I think the Sharks would do it. I'd rather have Marco Sturm though Marco on the Oilers would make me start thinking about blowing a few extra bucks on centre ice. Sturm is *SO* good.

Think Wilson would trade Marleau? I think he would, but who knows.

As for the second one, I don't think the Thrashers would bite. Why? Well, they already have a bevy of fighters. Lessard & Exelby are both heavyweight fighters, and Cowan I have seen drop the gloves, I'm not sure how much he does it. The Thrashers have quite a few potential fighters actually, and I really don't think they need more. And as for Horcoff, I think with Aubin really working out there, he's not really needed. When Savard comes back, they will have Savard/Robitaille/Stefan/Aubin down the middle. While that's nothing huge to write home about, moving Stefan for Horcoff really doesn't change the situation at all. In fact, it probobly makes it worse skill-wise.

In other words, they got Aubin so they don't need Horcoff, and they got Lessard & Exelby, so they don't need Laraque.

I do think they would trade Stefan. But only for something that fits their team needs better.

Old
11-14-2003, 12:06 PM
Jim_Harnock

I like the idea of getting Stuart, but I'd also like to get Sturm, as Mizral mentioned. Sturm broke into the league as a centre, didn't he? Has he played that position very much since then?

I know it would take more than Comrie to get both those guys, but how much more? I admit I have little idea what either player's value is right now (this coming Saturday will be the first time I've seen them play since last season).

to EDM: Sturm, Stuart
to SJ: Comrie, Chimera... and more...? Maybe a 3rd rounder? Anyone...? Bueller...?

Bonus points to anyone who gets the joke

Old
11-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Jim_Harnock

Meant to include the classic "post-trade lines" section required of any trade proposal post

Sturm - Smyth - Hemsky
Torres - York - Dvorak
Moreau - Reasoner - Pisani
Isbister - Stoll/Horcoff - Laraque

Brewer - Semenov
Stuart - Smith
Staois - Cross/Bergeron

Old
11-14-2003, 12:42 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Harnock

"Something D. O. O. economics.. anyone?.. anyone?.. VOODOO economics.. did it work? anyone? anyone? it did NOT work, and the United States sunk further into the Great Depression"

What are the bonus points good for?

Old
11-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Mizral

Sturm & Stuart? Wow, that would likely cost something like Comrie & Brewer. I don't think Chimera & stuff could get that one done.

*tunes in 'Win Ben Stein's Money'*

Old
11-14-2003, 12:54 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Harnock

to EDM: Sturm, Stuart
to SJ: Comrie, Chimera... and more...? Maybe a 3rd rounder? Anyone...? Bueller...?

I know a prof who uses that Ferris Bueller joke all the time. It's starting to get annoying.

Old
11-14-2003, 01:10 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Sturm & Stuart? Wow, that would likely cost something like Comrie & Brewer.
Works for me.

Old
11-14-2003, 01:13 PM
nikeisevil

I've watched that movie more times than I can remember and I am drawing a blank. As much as I hate admitting stupidity - can someone please tell me what the joke is. It's killing me.

Old
11-14-2003, 01:42 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
I've watched that movie more times than I can remember and I am drawing a blank. As much as I hate admitting stupidity - can someone please tell me what the joke is. It's killing me.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Ben Stein is the teaching taking attendance at the beginning of class.

Anyone notice how there are like 8 last names that start with A, followed by 1 B (Bueller), followed by an F (Frye).. a little suspicious to me.

Old
11-14-2003, 02:19 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Well since the San Jose rumors popped up – why not two deals instead of one:

Deal #1 Comrie and Ferguson for Stuart – we get the offensive dman we need and the Sharks get to pair Comrie with Marleau (which we all wanted to do here). I don’t think the Sharks trade Marleau for MC with Damphouse so close to retirement, but they do have depth on defense and Stuart has struggled. This may do-able I think.

Deal #2 – Horcoff and Laraque for Stefan and a draft pick. Rita may also be available in a one for one swap – but I think Atlanta needs a center coming back. Stefan would be fine in Edmonton and he had his best game of the season with Lowe in the stands. Looks like he wants to be here and why not with Dvorak and Hemmer here already. Supposedly Atlanta wanted Horcoff last year at the draft in trade talks.

i think we could get stefan without throwing in BG. about a month ago a thrasher fan came here and said we could have him for just the pick. i think they are pretty down on him in atlanta

Old
11-14-2003, 02:29 PM
nikeisevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Ben Stein is the teaching taking attendance at the beginning of class.

Anyone notice how there are like 8 last names that start with A, followed by 1 B (Bueller), followed by an F (Frye).. a little suspicious to me.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

thanks!

Old
11-14-2003, 02:30 PM
nikeisevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
i think we could get stefan without throwing in BG. about a month ago a thrasher fan came here and said we could have him for just the pick. i think they are pretty down on him in atlanta
Pull the trigger Lowe!

Old
11-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
The gm may not be as down on him though, being a 1st pick and all.

I'd love to get Stefan. I think he needs a change of scenery, and hockey-mad Edmonton seems to bring out the best in some players (very good atmosphere to blossom). I wouldnt want to trade BG though, since he signed my jersey.

If we could do Horc for Stefan (plus a useless Ferguson, a draft pick or a couple tickets to the Heritage Asskick), I'd laugh myself torrid.

Old
11-14-2003, 02:54 PM
TheChase

Deal #1 Comrie and Ferguson for Stuart

IMO, a defenseman who can QB the power play, is
what we need most - i.e Janne NIINIMAA back please
I don't think Brad Stuart is up to it although he is an
offensive dman. so No not Stuart

Deal #2 ? Horcoff and Laraque for Stefan and a draft pick
I would dearly like to see Stefan playing for the oil ; some players just take longer to develop and he is one of these;
Hate to lose BG, because other teams would take advantage
of our smaller centers and who's going to stand toe to toe with Brasear or Worrell etc.., but I would have to go for it
since we need a centerman badly and he would fit nicely;
age, salary, and defensively minded ,with size, fast skater

what round draft pick?

Closed Thread