HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

POSSIBLE RUMOR: Nylander to Isles?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2003, 04:56 PM
  #1
WshCaps19
Registered User
 
WshCaps19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 90
vCash: 500
POSSIBLE RUMOR: Nylander to Isles?

In today's Washington Post, Jason LaCanfora talked about the Caps need for an experienced D-man and how they would probably have to give up a forward to get one. He named Nylander, who I think is set to start rehab on his leg soon, as a possibility and mentioned that the Islanders had expressed interest during preseason. So, should the two teams talk, who do you see heading to the Caps in the deal?


Caps in 2020

WshCaps19 is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 05:09 PM
  #2
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKono
In today's Washington Post, Jason LaCanfora talked about the Caps need for an experienced D-man and how they would probably have to give up a forward to get one. He named Nylander, who I think is set to start rehab on his leg soon, as a possibility and mentioned that the Islanders had expressed interest during preseason. So, should the two teams talk, who do you see heading to the Caps in the deal?


Caps in 2020
I don't really see the Isles trading for another forward right now, especially since they are waving Wiemer.

kasper11 is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 05:21 PM
  #3
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKono
In today's Washington Post, Jason LaCanfora talked about the Caps need for an experienced D-man and how they would probably have to give up a forward to get one. He named Nylander, who I think is set to start rehab on his leg soon, as a possibility and mentioned that the Islanders had expressed interest during preseason. So, should the two teams talk, who do you see heading to the Caps in the deal?


Caps in 2020
If the Isles had so much as a vague interest in Nylander, I would be completely shocked. The Isles waived a very useful forward today because they feel that several young inexpensive forwards are ready to step forward (i.e., Trent Hunter, Sean Bergenheim).

Besides, Nylander is not enough to get you much of a defensemen from the Islanders.

Isles may have asked about him before Czerkawski signed, however.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 05:25 PM
  #4
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Martinek and change for Nylander?

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 05:27 PM
  #5
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokEGoalie
Martinek and change for Nylander?

I don't think you are following us here. Nylander is of zero interest.

If you waived him, the Isles would pass.

There is not basis for a deal here.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 05:29 PM
  #6
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I don't think you are following us here. Nylander is of zero interest.

If you waived him, the Isles would pass.

There is not basis for a deal here.
Come on, your 3rd line Center is weak give us a 5-6th Dman for him

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 05:32 PM
  #7
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokEGoalie
Come on, your 3rd line Center is weak give us a 5-6th Dman for him

Our number 3 center, Scatchard, scored 27 goals last year. He is currently injured, but Shawn Bates is taking his place and is on a 20 goal pace. Isles have at least four centers who are better overall than Nylander. Isles would also not want Nylander's salary.


Like I said, no interest whatsoever.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 05:34 PM
  #8
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Our number 3 center, Scatchard, scored 27 goals last year. He is currently injured, but Shawn Bates is taking his place and is on a 20 goal pace. Isles have at least four centers who are better overall than Nylander. Isles would also not want Nylander's salary.


Like I said, no interest whatsoever.
DooDoo head . Noone ever wants to help the caps! HARRRRRRGH!

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 05:37 PM
  #9
Ozy_Flame
Registered User
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokEGoalie
DooDoo head . Noone ever wants to help the caps! HARRRRRRGH!
Despite Lombardi's performance tonight, we need a player like Nylander back to get Iggy moving! And I understand the Caps have put up a 'wanted' poster for a defenseman. Would love to get Nylander back in a Flames uniform, no doubt...

Ozy_Flame is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 06:18 PM
  #10
Smash255
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Massapequa
Posts: 2,016
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Smash255
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokEGoalie
DooDoo head . Noone ever wants to help the caps! HARRRRRRGH!
Well you guys need to have someone other teams are interested in first . isles have TONS of depth at foward, why you think we just waved Wiemer?? And even more so at center. Nylander would be the Isles 5th center & possibly 6th center with Mapletoft

Smash255 is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 06:47 PM
  #11
st_roland
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: BUSH CONTRY-Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Despite Lombardi's performance tonight, we need a player like Nylander back to get Iggy moving! And I understand the Caps have put up a 'wanted' poster for a defenseman. Would love to get Nylander back in a Flames uniform, no doubt...
Well which of your defensemen would you give up for Nylander? His point totals for the last 3 years:64, 61, 60; and hes signed to a 1.8 mil contract.

st_roland is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 06:49 PM
  #12
spence___
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,117
vCash: 500
What about Tarnstrom for Nylander?

spence___ is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 08:53 PM
  #13
WhalerBoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Armenia
Posts: 208
vCash: 500
I think you Islander fans are living a little in fantasy world. Just because you waived a forward does not mean you have depth. Its called reducing your total salaries paid. They just found a cheaper alternative to a guy that wasnt that necessary to begion with. If Wiemer's waiving shows that hes a good player, why didnt anyone pick him up? At 1.6, hes barely over the avg. Fact is, teh team is full of 3rd and 4th liners, and even still, theyd rather use a $500000 guy from the minors, hello Trent Hunter.

The Islanders are not exactly what I would call knee deep in forwards with offensive creativity like Nylander. As a center, he is not a good fit on the Island, but really, dont tell me your so stacked when your #1 line features Czerkawski and Kvasha. Dont let one month fool you, reality bites. Anbd it will Mary and Oleg hard.

They do have many decent forwards who make great 3rd liners, ie Bates, Scatchard, Blake. But if an offensively gifted scorer was available who could play the wing, the Isles trading a Dman for him would be a good move, in my opinion.

WhalerBoy is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 08:56 PM
  #14
WhalerBoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Armenia
Posts: 208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255
Nylander would be the Isles 5th center & possibly 6th center with Mapletoft
do you even watch hockey? Do you know who Nylander is? Im sorry if it sounds like Im ridiculing you, but come on, get serious, your comparing a guy who cant crack NHL roster to a guy who has had 60pts 3 straight years, without the benefit of playing with stars for the most part in Chicago.

watch Nylander play, check out his stats, hell talk to someone who knows hockey, then tell me that Nylander is about equal to Mapletoft, and not good enough to crack the top line center job in Bridgeport!

WhalerBoy is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 10:28 PM
  #15
pepchew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Despite Lombardi's performance tonight, we need a player like Nylander back to get Iggy moving! And I understand the Caps have put up a 'wanted' poster for a defenseman. Would love to get Nylander back in a Flames uniform, no doubt...
Nylander back in Calgary? Sorry but there is a better chance of seeing Phil Russel back in Flames uniform. Nylander is the antithesis of the kind of player that Calgary would or should go after.

pepchew is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 10:59 PM
  #16
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBoy
I think you Islander fans are living a little in fantasy world. Just because you waived a forward does not mean you have depth. Its called reducing your total salaries paid. They just found a cheaper alternative to a guy that wasnt that necessary to begin with.
First, it's unwise to stereotype an entire group of fans.

Your assessment of NYI's forward corp is half-true. The Isles, do, in fact, have considerable depth up front. What they lack, aside from Yashin, is top-end-quality offensive players. They possess numerous productive, albeit not great, forwards, e.g., Scatchard, Peca, Parrish, Blake, etc. And, a player of Weimer's ilk was necessary at the time he was acquired. (Althought not at the price of Mezei.)


Quote:
Fact is, the team is full of 3rd and 4th liners, and even still, they'd rather use a $500000 guy from the minors, hello Trent Hunter.
Fact is, you might want to start watching NYI a bit closer. "Full of third and fourth liners"? Maybe on a Fantasy League team, but not by NHL standards. And if you are going to use an example of an inexpensive AHL call-up, you can do a lot better than a guy is currently playing nothing short of superb all-around hockey.

Quote:
The Islanders are not exactly what I would call knee deep in forwards with offensive creativity like Nylander. As a center, he is not a good fit on the Island, but really, dont tell me your so stacked when your #1 line features Czerkawski and Kvasha. Dont let one month fool you, reality bites.
True, Isles do not possess a high number of creative forwards. And, true Nylander doesn't fit, by virtue of his position, not to mention his $alary, which is the overriding factor. As for Czerkawski and Kvasha, skeptism is justified in both of their cases, for sure. But cynicism/pessimism, such as your's, isn't. You are apparently certain that "reality" means a 24 y/o skilled forward cannot find his game in the NHL after several seasons. Or a past 30 goal scorer cannot rediscover his game at age 31. Negativity like that is what really bites. Especially since it is simply speculation on your part and you present it as fact. And your assessment loses much of any credibility when you start referring to players by childish names.

Quote:
If an offensively gifted scorer was available who could play the wing, the Isles trading a Dman for him would be a good move, in my opinion.
Moot point, because NYI apparently doesn't have the resource$ to acquire such a player. Which is why they are rumored to be looking to dump salary beyond Weimer's.

Trottier is offline  
Old
11-13-2003, 04:14 PM
  #17
WhalerBoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Armenia
Posts: 208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
First, it's unwise to stereotype an entire group of fans.

Your assessment of NYI's forward corp is half-true. The Isles, do, in fact, have considerable depth up front. What they lack, aside from Yashin, is top-end-quality offensive players. They possess numerous productive, albeit not great, forwards, e.g., Scatchard, Peca, Parrish, Blake, etc. And, a player of Weimer's ilk was necessary at the time he was acquired. (Althought not at the price of Mezei.)




Fact is, you might want to start watching NYI a bit closer. "Full of third and fourth liners"? Maybe on a Fantasy League team, but not by NHL standards. And if you are going to use an example of an inexpensive AHL call-up, you can do a lot better than a guy is currently playing nothing short of superb all-around hockey.



True, Isles do not possess a high number of creative forwards. And, true Nylander doesn't fit, by virtue of his position, not to mention his $alary, which is the overriding factor. As for Czerkawski and Kvasha, skeptism is justified in both of their cases, for sure. But cynicism/pessimism, such as your's, isn't. You are apparently certain that "reality" means a 24 y/o skilled forward cannot find his game in the NHL after several seasons. Or a past 30 goal scorer cannot rediscover his game at age 31. Negativity like that is what really bites. Especially since it is simply speculation on your part and you present it as fact. And your assessment loses much of any credibility when you start referring to players by childish names.



Moot point, because NYI apparently doesn't have the resource$ to acquire such a player. Which is why they are rumored to be looking to dump salary beyond Weimer's.

you seem to know what your talking about, so I want belittle this exchange with barbs. However, I couldnt help but notice you hardly even mentioned Nylander, which this was all about.

first off, writing mary for mariusz was actually a typo. i meant to write mari for short. You can tell, cause i just wrote oleg. whatever...

second, though its true that Hunter has played well, lets not overestimate what he has done in 10-15gms. Young players many times do very well over short periods after call ups, but few are those that sustain consistentcy. The Isles evidently believe he and others will, so out went Wiemer. If you think he will, ok, Ill give you that he might.

thirdly, I was NOT commenting on "bunch of third liners" with respect to fantasy hockey. If you think, after watching many Islander games, that guys like Scatchard, Blake and Asham are worthy of second line roles, then I wont try to change your mind. We disagree.

Your right, 24yrolds can suddenly find their game. And big men like Kvasha do take time to reach their potential. (but also note, most of these breakthroughs occur much later, at 26/27 usually) But lets not be too hasty about 15 games. Its not pessimism, its just real facts based on seasons of Kvasha. I dont have to be pessimistic or optimistic. Im not a fan, im just looking at this objectively. Im not saying NO WAY WILL HE EVER BE GOOD. Im saying this team, if they think Kvasha is the answer to their problems, had better hope he keeps this up. I for one remember that he also started off fairly well the last couple of years. Not this well, but close. And to count on him, Czerkawski, Parrish and Asham (hes with Parr and Peca tonight) as your top two sets of wingers, please dont tell me thats good enough to win anything of signifigance, like the first round of the playoffs.

Could Czerkawski get 30goals? yes, he has done it before, but lets not forget, he has also had many seasons with less than 20. Even one with Yashin and Kvasha as his linemates. Again, Im looking at facts of his stats over years, not the 15games of this year.

Im not being pessimistic, but im also not looking at this as an Islander fan, with hope and glee, which obvioulsy most of the other posters are. Even the most uninformed would know enough about Nylander to not say "oh, hed barely be our 6th center, along with Mapletoft". Please dont tell me Im being pessimistic and stating it all as facts. I may be putting my spin on it, and giving opinions on these players, but its mostly based on the games I do watch, and the statistics I read.

Its a very good team, with very good depth, no doubt. But its missing something up top, and to think it isnt, well, thats up to you as an Islander fan to care about. Im just stating my opinions. I really actually think the sad part is thta thats all this team is missing. GREAT D, maybe one of the best in the league, and if Dipietro is for real, with one more solid scorer and a little offensive creativity, this could be a cup contender.

OPf course, I realize there are $$ problems now, so many of this is mott, but its still my argument.

WhalerBoy is offline  
Old
11-13-2003, 05:21 PM
  #18
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,545
vCash: 500
We don't disagree! In fact:

-Were he to hypothetically join NYI, Nylander would instantaneously become the team's second most offensively skilled center behind Yashin.

-Fifteen games or so is nowhere near long enough time to judge the long-term production of a player. I see a lot to like in Hunter's game, apart from his goal scoring, which certainly is not going to remain at the same clip, otherwise Gretzky's single season record will be threatened. :p But it is early, as you say.

-Whether Kvasha has figured out the game or is simply on a hot streak will be known over the course of the entire season (and subsequent campaigns). Consistency has always been a problem. So far this season, so good. Czerkawski is what he is: a guy who is very capable of scoring goals in the NHL, and not much more. It's somewhat telling to me that the line has been unproductive in the team's two games against superior and very tight-checking division opponents: NJD and Philly. So color me skeptical, too, about the longer-term production of the line, especially as the season goes on and the games gain more importance, get tighter and more intense.

I think the only area we disagree somewhat is to the value of a Scatchard, Blake, Parrish and Peca, even a Bates or Asham, with regard to "3rd line players" v. "2nd line players." No doubt, none of those guys are the classic offensive talents one historically has looked for in a team's top 6 forwards. But frankly, aside from the Avs, Wings, Flyers and Sens (maybe I'm missing a team or two), which teams in today's NHL can come at you with six proven scoring threats making up their entire first two lines?

Obviously, to be like those teams is the goal! My point, however, is that each of those guys, IMO, can be solid 2nd liners as "support players" on a line with a bonafide sniper/difference maker. That is, for example (only), add Peter Bondra's speed and offensive talent to LW alongside Peca and Parrish, and that line could be very productive....All which points to our major point of agreement: the Isles lack top-end talent up front. As in, at least one additional forward besides Yashin for whom teams have to specifically prepare.

I think the vehement reaction from the NYI fans (at least me :p ) regarding Nylander is that while he clearly offers offensive skill, he is not that "difference maker," and considering his price and age, would effectively be a minimal upgrade, if that. As such, it actually does make more sense at this point in time in the season for the Isles to go younger and cheaper.

Now, if you can find NYI a cheap, elite gamebreaker.... :p

Trottier is offline  
Old
11-13-2003, 05:28 PM
  #19
Oiler94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oiltown
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKono
In today's Washington Post, Jason LaCanfora talked about the Caps need for an experienced D-man and how they would probably have to give up a forward to get one. He named Nylander, who I think is set to start rehab on his leg soon, as a possibility and mentioned that the Islanders had expressed interest during preseason. So, should the two teams talk, who do you see heading to the Caps in the deal?


Caps in 2020
lol, that sure would sound cool:

Nylander an Islander

Oiler94 is offline  
Old
11-13-2003, 07:05 PM
  #20
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler94
lol, that sure would sound cool:

Nylander an Islander

Heh. Well done.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
11-13-2003, 09:30 PM
  #21
WhalerBoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Armenia
Posts: 208
vCash: 500
VERY GOOD POINTS TROTS!!

And I agree that one finisher/scorer on a line with two of your guys could be a VERY solid #2 line.

I hope for your sake, they dont have a firesale of any kind, because I really do believe they are on the verge of being a very good team.

thanks for the good exchange, nice to see someone on here with a really good knowledge of their team, without the rose coloured glasses.

WhalerBoy is offline  
Old
11-14-2003, 02:58 AM
  #22
btmarshall
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Michael Nylander is pretty cheap for what he provides, so a team with a hole, even a temporary one, might well look at him as an option.

That said, cheap is a relative term, and the Islanders will view him as too expensive right now, as their goal appears from comments and actions in the last month to be to pare down salary, not make additions.

Besides that, the Islanders are rather deep in forwards right now. Are all of them better than Nylander offensively? Perhaps not, but from a cost-benefit analysis I think that the Islanders are happier with who they have at present. Though the teams may have had a discussion or two before the season, I don't think they make likely trade partners at present. Both are in different degrees of cost-cutting mode, but a cost-cutting mode just the same. They each need to find Cup contending trade partners, with room in the budget, if they want to cut salary. There are not many of those around anymore.

 
Old
11-14-2003, 03:33 AM
  #23
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokEGoalie
DooDoo head . Noone ever wants to help the caps! HARRRRRRGH!

Wasn't Nylander close to being declared a ufa last summer?

Something about his being just short of having enough time in, kept him from becoming a ufa..

budget tight Isles won't trade younger,cheaper assets for an impending ufa they won't keep.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
11-14-2003, 04:26 AM
  #24
Sports Junkie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VA
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sports Junkie
The mention of Nylander related to the Isles interest in him in the preseason.

Sports Junkie is offline  
Old
11-14-2003, 05:18 AM
  #25
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Wasn't Nylander close to being declared a ufa last summer?

Something about his being just short of having enough time in, kept him from becoming a ufa..

budget tight Isles won't trade younger,cheaper assets for an impending ufa they won't keep.
Nylander's salary fell above the league average by about $100k. that average is not calculated until after the season and it was very close. had he fallen below the league average he would have been a UFA.

txpd is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.