HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tootoo's hit

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 01:38 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Tootoo's hit

Smokey sorry bud you're wrong, he did not leave the ice before the hit.

Link

Watch the hit, Tootoo does not leave his feet, if you pause it at 40 seconds you see where Tootoo is making contact with his skates on the ice, his skates don't leave the ice until he falls over the guy.

Old
11-16-2003, 03:22 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman

Link

Watch the hit, Tootoo does not leave his feet, if you pause it at 40 seconds you see where Tootoo is making contact with his skates on the ice, his skates don't leave the ice until he falls over the guy.
First let me say this, I'm a huge Islander fan.

As much as it sucks that Martinek got hurt I don't see the check as illegal as everyone says it is. He didn't leave his feet prior to contact. He is a cannon ball and he makes sure every pound he has goes into those hits. As he glides in to make contact he explodes off his feet right at the moment of impact. That's how Jordin hits. At the world juniors last year he laid out 3 of those hits per game, that's his game and you'll be seeing a lot more of it.

It's not illegal, it's just new. Nobody that small skates that fast and has the ability to wreck people like he does. Until fans get used to seeing his hits (which won't take too much longer), they'll complain that it is illegal, but you don't get penalties for hitting too hard.

Let's just hope Martinek shakes it off and gets back on the ice as soon as he can. Next time they play the Pred's he'll be hearing those footsteps.

Old
11-16-2003, 04:44 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
First let me say this, I'm a huge Islander fan.

As much as it sucks that Martinek got hurt I don't see the check as illegal as everyone says it is. He didn't leave his feet prior to contact. He is a cannon ball and he makes sure every pound he has goes into those hits. As he glides in to make contact he explodes off his feet right at the moment of impact. That's how Jordin hits. At the world juniors last year he laid out 3 of those hits per game, that's his game and you'll be seeing a lot more of it.

It's not illegal, it's just new. Nobody that small skates that fast and has the ability to wreck people like he does. Until fans get used to seeing his hits (which won't take too much longer), they'll complain that it is illegal, but you don't get penalties for hitting too hard.

Let's just hope Martinek shakes it off and gets back on the ice as soon as he can. Next time they play the Pred's he'll be hearing those footsteps.
Thank you.

His feet were planted at impact, and he didn't take any steps before, so it's as legal as they get.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:01 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman

Link

I would gladly be wrong on this matter. I saw it at fullspeed on two different news channels and it seemed illegal. Never saw it slowed down though. You're right though. He leaves his feet after contact.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:22 AM
gopreds98

Send a message via Yahoo to gopreds98
It's close though........of course, the only reason anyone's *****ing about this is because the Islander got hurt. And nobody ever likes to see that. But I've already seen so many hits this season where the opposing player has left both feet to make the hit and nothing gets called, so I'm just going to take the whining with a grain of salt.

But boy oh boy, that was one heckuva monster hit. Preds games are whole lot more interesting to watch this season.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:58 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

You have to love the intensity that Tootoo brings to the table. I think he is one of the main reasons, if not the reason, our team is so different this year.

Old
11-16-2003, 11:58 AM
gopreds98

Send a message via Yahoo to gopreds98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
You have to love the intensity that Tootoo brings to the table. I think he is one of the main reasons, if not the reason, our team is so different this year.
It's infectious. I don't know if it's just because of Tootoo, but the whole team seems to have a better attitude this year. I swear, last night I thought I saw Johnson almost check somebody. Good things are happening! :p

Old
11-16-2003, 01:24 PM
Olaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds98
It's infectious. I don't know if it's just because of Tootoo, but the whole team seems to have a better attitude this year. I swear, last night I thought I saw Johnson almost check somebody. Good things are happening! :p
They are not afraid. They are the Predators and not the prey they have been the last 5 years. In the past we have been victim of the aggresive hits...Low on Hartnell...O'Donnell on Bordeleau....etc... and the team cowers into the corner. Not this year.....nobody can push this team around instead ....finally....this team is doing the pushing.

The hit by Toots was aggresive but not out of line from what we have seen other teams take liberties with our players for years. This year I have seen much less of that, because they know this team will not back down.

Old
11-16-2003, 01:42 PM
RWS

Gonna throw my .02 in on this...

On sportscenter (espnhd even), they showed the hit from a different angle (closer and ice level) than the NHL highlight video shows and its clear that he had both feet on the ice when contact was made. I taped it and watched it over and over, frame by frame, and you see Martinek's head lurch forward from the impact while Toots is grounded, then his momentum carries him off his skates.

Hopefully Martinek will be back in action soon.

Old
11-16-2003, 02:01 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS
Gonna throw my .02 in on this...

On sportscenter (espnhd even), they showed the hit from a different angle (closer and ice level) than the NHL highlight video shows and its clear that he had both feet on the ice when contact was made. I taped it and watched it over and over, frame by frame, and you see Martinek's head lurch forward from the impact while Toots is grounded, then his momentum carries him off his skates.

Hopefully Martinek will be back in action soon.
Good, I'm glad to hear this. Man, I wished I had taped Sports Center, but as a general policy of mine, I ignore all but the top 10 plays of the day during hockey season.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:29 PM
darth5
No!

I hope Martinek is back on the ice soon. I never wish injuries on players.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:02 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrocketman
I hope Martinek is back on the ice soon. I never wish injuries on players.
Agreed. Hope Martinek is back skating soon. Thought the 10 count was a bit over the edge by the cell block. To me seeing live, it looked like a clean hit. A saw the replay on sports center, and it appears he may have left his feet just a bit, but that happens on just about every hit in the NHL. I don't think it was dirty, or an intent to injure. As far as it being a pentalty, I think if they called that hit, they would have to start calling A LOT of hits in the NHL. Good game. I thought the Third Goal was a softie. Tootoo Keep on what you are doing. Keep playing aggressive.

Old
11-17-2003, 11:32 AM
Radulov for Czar*

looked like a good hit to me. Gotta keep your head up!

Old
11-18-2003, 05:52 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually we don't care about the "blue and white" as much as most teams on these boards. It's one team we haven't played that much against and when we have the games have generally gone our way with out much hooplah.

Old
11-18-2003, 05:55 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor
Nice hit.

Imagine the outrage there would be on this forum had he be wearing blue&white. Everyone agreeing that it was clean would be changing their tune real quickly.
We have nothing against the Leafs. We've been very successful against TO and have ribbed them accordingly but there is no illwill from Predland. Some of our Preds posters are huge Leafs fans (SevenNationArmy for example).

Old
11-18-2003, 06:04 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Yes our record against the Preds is not great, but we have won, so do not try and make it sound as if we have been thumped everytime we met.
I said very successful, not undefeated. We are 4-1-1. Our only loss was a 4-3 decision on the 8th of January 2002 in Toronto.

Old
11-18-2003, 06:09 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't mean outrage amongst Predator fans. I mean non-Leaf fans in general, since the 'thing to do' these days is bash the Leafs and see dirty play that isn't even there.
I agree, especially on these boards.

Old
11-18-2003, 07:10 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
I don't mean outrage amongst Predator fans. I mean non-Leaf fans in general, since the 'thing to do' these days is bash the Leafs and see dirty play that isn't even there.
I agree; had Tootoo been a Leaf and made that hit, a lot of people would be calling for a suspension. I guess that comes with the rep of having a "dirty" team.

Old
11-18-2003, 07:11 AM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
As long as you give us Coca-cola I'm fine with the leafs.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:52 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Considering how many claimed Toots' hits would be called as charging in the NHL. It's been interesting that he has been cited for anything yet. And he's laid some whoppers on people.

Closed Thread