HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why would Pittsburgh move Malkin?

Old
08-17-2006, 09:52 AM
viasyncro

vCash: 500

According to Eklund, it is his opinion, take it for what it's worth
Interesting nonetheless...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=2627

Talking to an agent who has dealt with Shero in his first year the agent said, “Shero comes from the Poile school of thought. And that school, like in Nashville, is not to build with a few superstar players, but rather several solid players. Shero already has one big superstar that will be at the max when his contract comes due. Do two 8 million dollar players worked on a team like Pitsburgh? And then you have the revenue uncertainty off new ownership and no new building yet to take into account. And you also have a team that needs lots of help depth-wise.....”

Last edited by montreal: 08-17-2006 at 01:03 PM. Reason: copyright
viasyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
If Shero is going to stick with his Poile school of thought he's running the wrong damn team.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:00 AM
SerialSeb

Well I liked the post and is an interresting point of view.

This would be biggest trade in habs history. Yes a head of Roy because Roy was out no matter what.

I think afterall it would actually be good for both teams. Altough I would miss Souray and Ryder alot. I just hope it doesn't end like the Recchi trade.

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:02 AM
HF-Addict

Interesting read.

Malkin to the habs would be big.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

The Pens should only move Malkin if a potential franchise defenseman in the mold of Erik Johnson (not saying only him that's just an exemple) is coming their way imho.That would be my thinking if i was their GM.

They pretty much have a (potential) franchise player on every position other than that .Getting a premium #1 D would help them tremendously and would be a good reason to move Malkin.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:05 AM
SerialSeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbolic View Post
The Pens should only move Malkin if a potential franchise defenseman in the mold of Erik Johnson (not saying only him that's just an exemple) is coming their way imho.

They pretty much have a (potential) franchise player on every position other than that .Getting a premium #1 D would help them tremendously and would be a good reason to move Malkin.
Good point that would be a better move for them.

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:07 AM
habfan4

My complete indifference to blogs has morphed into a searing hatred in only a few days.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:08 AM
SOLR

When do when change the name of our team from Montreal Canadians to Montreal Dynamo?

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

It make some sense for both teams...I also believe that two big superstar on a team isn't always good, and in Pittshburgh, there's Malkin who is knocking on the door, and Staal who isn't far away...

In Crosby, Malkin and Staal, you have 3 potential superstar and they all play centre...I can't see none of them really giving all what they have as a winger.

Also, Malkin is the player who never played a game in the NHL with the most value. And when he will have one or two season under his belt, his value will not be higher...

So for Pittsburgh, it's to know when they want to give a new face to the franchise...now, or in a couple of years...

IMO, they have a few great prospect, but they will not with the cup only with them...

Finaly, I think that Pittscurgh could have more from us for Malkin...it's not impossible, but it's not likely to happen either...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:13 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Interresting read. 0.0000000000000000001% of chances it happens, but we can dream. Not.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:13 AM
GoHabsGO252006

I said yesterday that I believe that if the Habs upped the ante a bit, including a top notch prospect like perezhogin and another first round pick that Pittsburgh would do it.

Would Gainey, I think from a Habs perspective how can you not, a future superstar who will have a cap it under amillion for 3 years. Is the big center you need. And you have enough depth to overtake giving up so many roster players. As well as cap space to sign more NHLers if need be.e

Higgins Koivu Dumont
Samsonov Malkin Kovalev
Kostytsin Plekanek Johnson
Begin Bonk Murray

Imo that's a huge step up from our current Roster. We would need to pick up a stop gap at D imo and that is out there in Leetch or others.

How can you pass up such a trade I don't know. And Pittsburgh immediately beomces a playoff team.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:19 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
I said yesterday that I believe that if the Habs upped the ante a bit, including a top notch prospect like perezhogin and another first round pick that Pittsburgh would do it.

Would Gainey, I think from a Habs perspective how can you not, a future superstar who will have a cap it under amillion for 3 years. Is the big center you need. And you have enough depth to overtake giving up so many roster players. As well as cap space to sign more NHLers if need be.e

Higgins Koivu Dumont
Samsonov Malkin Kovalev
Begin Bonk Murray

Imo that's a huge step up from our current Roster. We would need to pick up a stop gap at D imo and that is out there in Leetch or others.

How can you pass up such a trade I don't know. And Pittsburgh immediately beomces a playoff team.
Lets put things where they belong

Samsonov Malkin Kovalev

Higgins Koivu Dumont
Begin Bonk Murray

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post

Finaly, I think that Pittscurgh could have more from us for Malkin...it's not impossible, but it's not likely to happen either...
Especially since the 4 players involved in the rumor (Ribs , Sour , Ryd , Aebi) are going to be UFA next year (maybe RFA in Ryder case i'm not sure) .

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:37 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
No, Malkins cap hit would be just like Ovechkin and Crosby, somewhere around 3.7-3.8M$ with all bonuses (even if he does not make them...he will)

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I still don't think it makes all that much sense. Pittsburgh still has Malkin relatively "cheaply" for his $3.8M or whatever for his first 3 years. And they still have Crosby at that price for 2 more. There's no rush to worry about the dual $8M player issue now.

And also, if there is an argument that the Pens need depth, then I think it can only be made by somebody who is oblivious to the Pens' awesome prospect depth. Sure, they are a little bit lacking right now. But by the time they get into that dual $8M scenario with Crosby and Malkin, they should be overflowing with depth, because they have great prospect depth right now. If they had wanted more NHL-calibre playing depth today, they could have played on the UFA market and got it. Easily. Without giving up anything, not even a couple of relatively-cheap years of Malkin. They had plenty of cap room. They could still sign Dumont and Carter and Leetch themselves if all they need is our Ribeiro/Ryder/Souray types.

So, sorry, even the carefully-crafted rational provided still doesn't rescue this ridiculous rumour.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbolic View Post
Especially since the 4 players involved in the rumor (Ribs , Sour , Ryd , Aebi) are going to be UFA next year (maybe RFA in Ryder case i'm not sure) .
Ribeiro and Ryder will be restricted free agents next year. (Not that it matters in the context of this bogus rumour, though).

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Habsaholic

I knocked the rumor yesterday blowing it off, check for yourself. BUT I have heard from other sources, more reliable sources that this is a possibility.

I am just gonna sit back and watch

Habsaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 11:15 AM
znk

nice read.

Still dont think it will happen.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 11:31 AM
!nkubus

Really good point of view. But I really doubt it will happen.. but we never know.. Who would have tought that MTL would trade Patrick Roy (before that 9 goals night) ?

so I keep dreeming but not hoping

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Pat

damn, this is the first time I read something written by Eklund that actually has some sense
but yeah, he does bring up some good points

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Netro

I'll believe it when I see it.

And if it happens I will be stunned. BG does not leak info. None of his moves are ever rumoured. Plus, teams float out bogus rumours all the time.

Furthermore, ask yourself, if Pittsburgh was going to trade Malkin, if the return is sufficient for them. I'd say no.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Pat

this rumour is so crazy, it might actually be true

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.

And if it happens I will be stunned. BG does not leak info. None of his moves are ever rumoured. Plus, teams float out bogus rumours all the time.

Furthermore, ask yourself, if Pittsburgh was going to trade Malkin, if the return is sufficient for them. I'd say no.
But it might just be a proposal...

If they ask for something like:

Ryder, Ribeiro, Perezhogin, Souray and a 1st...

It's a pretty strong offer if you ask me...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 12:02 PM
likea

the Penguins might be listening to offers for Malkin but that trade would never get it done. better players could be had in UFA for the 8.5 million the Penguins would get back.

in my opinion Montreal doesn't have the 2 players that would even start discussions for Malkin. a young first line winger and a young 1-2 d-man. 2 potential star players, not the average or above average players this trade suggests. I would also want a vet. second line center and a third liner

all 4 players would have to be NHL ready or NHL players already

likea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Netro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
But it might just be a proposal...

If they ask for something like:

Ryder, Ribeiro, Perezhogin, Souray and a 1st...

It's a pretty strong offer if you ask me...
It's a better offer. Not sure it is enough.

Ribs has very little trade value. Souray is an upcoming UFA who struggled last year. Ryder has some value as a 30 goal man. The draft pick is nice, but probably will be in the 20s. Perezhogin definitely adds something to the mix.

If I were the Pens GM, I would look to remove Ribs and add someone else.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote