HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs @ Sens Nov. 15/03 - NEW LINES

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2003, 07:02 PM
Guy!

vCash: 500
Just logged on and haven't had the chance to go through the other replies, but I would imagine there will be not a few who will mention that it was an exciting game with goalscoring. A few who will actually think the Habs deserved to win, and even a few who thought we dominated the encounter.

The second period presented about the worst the Habs have played all year long, and combined with the Sens playing up to potential for that twenty minute period, it was about the toughest period of hockey a Hab fan has had to watch in years. The first was scrappy, and you could see the ice wasn't what it should have been as the puck was bouncing not unlike a basketball for much of the period. The Hab capitalized on two (their only two?) opportunities to score (for the first time all year) and the Sens capitalized on Hab stupidity towards the end.

The third was once again back to scrappiness after that horrible second and a couple of very lucky bounces found Bulis in front of the net all alone. Amazing what a little confidence will do, which you could see in his going to the net and roofing the puck with authority.

Still, this game, despite the goals, was far worse than many of the last ones we've seen. Don't delude yourself, we won because a) the Sens beat themselves on all three goals, and b) Theo was Vezina quality for the most part.

~~

Notes: (effort marked)

Theo: The second goal was all him. You can't let a 50-footer fly in like that, and its amazing the Habs didn't just fold up camp and leave after that goal. Oh wait, they did. And that's where Theo stood up and had his coming out party. A

Bouillon: How do you play Hainsey when Bubbles is playing like he is? He's full of confidence and is moving the puck much better than every other Hab defender at this point. Kudos to him proving most of his critics wrong so far. A

Rivet: This is how you justify Hainsey playing. Rivet, or should I say Traffic Cone 52, was once again horrible out there tonight. But how do you mark him? His overall effort was once again high, but his play was terribly low. That first goal was an icing call, and Theo was even shouting it loud enough that *I* heard it off the TV. Why he tried to pound it out instead of just touching it is just beyond me. B+ for effort but sheesh, sometimes effort just doesn't cut it.

Brisebois: One cross-ice doozy in our own zone that just about cost us, but other than that he played a relatively safe game - which means I didn't notice him much and with him, that's just about perfect. B

Quintal: Nice to see him back and healthy and nice to see someone with good patience back there who isn't prone to just ppounding the puck constantly. He played a good game positionally and probably saved Souray's butt more than a couple of times. B+

Markov: Starting to gain back some confidence and it's good to see. He still made a few glaring errors, but I thought that as the game went along he was starting to win those battles he used to do regularly. B-

Souray: Horrid game. He made mistake after mistake and could have cost about six goals on his own - not including the ones that should have been scored each time he was in the box for being a bozon. C-

Langdon: Made a couple of nice plays to help in the transition game. He may be a goon, but he's stuck to the system nicely and doesn't look out of place out there. Plays the basics and it works for him. B+

Begin: Not as noticeable tonight, though I got the impression he wasn't on the ice nearly as long as usual. He still worked his butt off, though, and was successful at what he does best. B

Sundstrom: His work on his actual line was as I predicted, out to lunch, however he was stellar on the penalty kill. B-

Dackell: Not half the game as last one where he was the only Hab scorer but played his usual style which is solid for the third line. B

Perreault: Totally outclassed on that line, yet he ended up a +1 which begs the question: will Julien see it as a successful trial? He won a lot of faceoffs, which is nice, but as usual he pretty much disappeared right after the draw. D

Bulis: I'm sorry, who said he doesn't have a shot? Another stellar game from Mr.Consistency tonight. He was all over the rink and created turnover after turnover. Those two goals should go a long way towards re-establishing his confidence and hopefully this is his turning point in the season in terms of points. A+

Audette: Had two chances, and scored on one. Not bad. Then again, where was he the rest of the game? I know you need a goalscorer on the team who has that one job, but really, Audette just doesn't score like he used to. Still, if that goal is a breakout goal and he starts potting 'em (I'm not holding my breath) I'll be pleased. Other than that, he was a marginal player in the second and third (when he was no longer going to the net). C+

Kilger: I'm sitting here trying to think of what to say about this guy. He's a Zubrus with slightly less talent. Such a shame and waste of a big body too. D

Juneau: Can't see this experiment lasting more than one game as Joe looked out of place. At times it seemed he was working really hard, but when his linemates got the puck deep, he seemed to disappear. A checking role seems to be his forte. C+

Zednik: No second effort, no will to win, and he's frustrating Sax as well as the rest of us. Zed needs a good benching to get his head back in the game - either that or a fourth line appearance. D

Koivu: He's getting frustrated with his linemates and you can tell in his play. Tonight he wasn't half as effective as usual, though part of the reason is his drawing of Alfredsson as line matchup. He makes his passes but it's almost like he expects Zed to screw it up. Might be that he's also frustrated with playing his fifth game and still having nothing to show for it, despite working his butt off. Problem here is that Sax needs real first liners to play with, and there are none in Montreal - at least that are ready. B+

~~

I have to say, the officiating in the NHL is getting worse by the game. I'm not usually someone who complains about the reffing, but in the third particularly, I cannot fathom how the Sens got two powerplays and Montreal none when there were numerous blatant fouls by Ottawa players. It's almost like the refs were expecting Ottawa to win, and when they weren't, were doing their best to make the world right again. It's amateur hour for the zebras these days, and the NHL product suffers for it. In fact, if you want to change one thing which will bring back good 'entertaining' fast-paced hockey, it's the reffing. If they call what's in the book, the game is almost entirely different.

And off we go to meet up with Vancouver, another team that should clean our clocks rather thoughrally. In fact, for the Sens game I said I fully expected a loss and we won. For the 'Nucks, I expect even worse. Habitually, when we play the 'Nucks in Vancouver, we're downright horrid. Esperons that we'll arrive in time to actually play the game rather than promoting the first 20 Hab fans in attendance to play it for us...if you see what I mean.

A concerned fan.

Old
11-15-2003, 07:08 PM
NWT Habs Fan

I cannot believe how weird this game was to watch. I was so happy with their first period (almost 18 minutes of perfect hockey against the Sens except for that bad penalty with 2 minutes to go that allowed the Sens to get one with a minute to go...a coach's nightmare). Rivet touches that puck and its icing, and the Habs likely go to the locker room up 2-0. But he misses the puck...wtf?

Second period was UGLY. The "other" Habs showed up and the Sens were playing like President Trophy winners (short of their ability to run the score up on us...thanks Jose). One Hab scoring chance, and one hot goalie.

Third period was cardiac arrest watching them hang on for a point, and then shock everyone with a goal with 6 minutes to go. Funny what happens when your forwards actually go to the front of the net. Brutal penalty by Audette allows the Sens a late PP...how bad is that play? Thank goodness it didn't cost us (I can take a breath now...LOL).

Sens press charges against Theo for robbery of the 2 points variety.

Old
11-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Rahan

Reply to Guy!'s post:

What's that.. totally biased "marks". Really not worth anything, since you note Rivet B+ for the effort and then Perreault D, and Audette C+ when they both worked hard and Audette scored a nice goal, and made Lalime quit his net, (good job Ribeiro not putting it in and empty net once again). I just don't get you. What must they do to get your praise? Rivet makes every mistakes on earth and he gets a B+, Audette created most chances and he gets C+... can't understand habs fans.

Old
11-15-2003, 07:32 PM
missthenet

the franchise

no offence, but which game were you watching? Rivet and Bouillion played great games? they looked horrible out there. I do not know why they keep these 2 together, Rivet cannot pass and he is afraid to go into the corners, watch him the next game, he always slows down and gets the hell out of the way of the forechecker, that is why he missed the puck in the first period which caused and icing while we were a man short which in turn led to the Senators first goal.

Old
11-15-2003, 08:03 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Great game by Theodore.....he stole this game for us

Nice to see Bulis get 2 goals today, as his hard work is paying off.

Old
11-15-2003, 08:30 PM
higgs88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic
Well........soemone is going to say i'm on crack or something, but I'm going to predict a 4-1 win for the habs. Montreal will catch Otawa playing flat footed early on, and trap them to death after that.
I don't know if I'd want this to happen or not. As much as i'd like them to win, I"m thinking that if they do Juneau just might remain on the scoring line.
Well you were almost right!! The habs did win that game with a nice 3-2!! Bulis played really hard and he needed those 2 goals!! As for Audette, I think it was quite a lucky one!!
Good game!! I can't wait to see what Claude Julien will do with Joe juneau since it kinda worked out putting him with Koivu and Zednik...Craig Rivet needs help...maybe a short while in Hamilton could help him being good...I said maybe!!!

Old
11-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Reply to Guy!'s post:

What's that.. totally biased "marks". Really not worth anything, since you note Rivet B+ for the effort and then Perreault D, and Audette C+ when they both worked hard and Audette scored a nice goal, and made Lalime quit his net, (good job Ribeiro not putting it in and empty net once again). I just don't get you. What must they do to get your praise? Rivet makes every mistakes on earth and he gets a B+, Audette created most chances and he gets C+... can't understand habs fans.
First, I take issue with your last statement which basically puts you down as a typical kid fan who likes to talk trash and get under people's skins for no apparently good reason. If you disagree with me, that's great, all the better, but to toss in the disparaging remarks makes you look silly. At times, I think you are an intelligent poster with plenty to add to discussions, but unfortunately you come off as a cynical fan far too often. I prefer your intelligent posts where you rationalize what you have to say and debate intelligently. I really expect more than that garbage from you.

Secondly, this is a *reading* forum, so I suggest to those that like to complain that they take up *reading* Do not just skip to marks and come to assumptive conclusions because you are doing yourselves a disservice. I said right up at the top of the 'Notes' section that the 'effort' would be marked, nothing else. Did you watch Rivet? He worked quite hard, as per usual. I'm not saying he had a good game, which is plainly evident in my commentary on his game, what I'm saying is that he worked, nothing more.

Audette made two plays all game and I don't think he worked any harder than in any other game where Hab fans have disliked him all year. Yes, he made a goalscorers move on his goal which was wonderful to see, yes he even got himself into a position where he could do such a move, but there was about 15:26 worth of ice time when he was on the ice and I felt he was giving his usual half efforts.

Perreault did not have a great game and was basically invisible for much of it, in my opinion. If you disagree, great, but instead of reacting as you did, why not try constructive debate, perhaps give examples.

I never claimed to be all-knowing and all-seeing, what I do in my little 'reports' is just tell the game from my eyes. If others saw differently, fantastic, let's discuss where I might be wrong and if it's proven so, I'll *gladly* agree with you.

What must they do to get praise? How about work for 60 minutes rather than just a shift or two? I know you're a smart person, I've seen it in your posts from time to time so surely you don't think this team actually deserved to win this game. Montreal was completely atrocious in the second - their worst period in five years where they basically camped in their own zone. In the first they scored two goals on blatant errors by Sens. Bulis blocked an attempt in the first instance (and I gave him an A+ for his efforts) and in the second, someone pinched when Kilger got the tip of his stick on the puck thus allowing the two on one leading to Audette's goal. Other than that, it was not a great first either. The third was a case of Montreal trying to not lose the game, rather than trying to win the game, and as such they were chucking the puck up the ice rather frequently. Yes, on occasion they made the offensive zone, and in one of those forays the puck fortuitously bounced off Perreault's heel to Bulis who was inexplicably left completely alone in front of the Ottawa net.

Do you really think Montreal played well? Don't you think Montreal would have lost by about 10-0 had the Sens capitalized and Theo not been strong? Yes, Montreal won the game, but they didn't deserve it, not in any way, shape or form. They deserved to get bombed out of the park tonight and only by some bizarre celestial alignment did they come out with a win. Okay, celestial alignment and Theo.

Disagree all you like, but at least know with what you're disagreeing and for heaven's sake let's have intelligent debate rather than mindless insulting.

A concerned fan.

Old
11-15-2003, 08:32 PM
Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
I do not like this "analysis" either, wayyy too bias, therefore making it unrealistic. Just cause you don't like Perreault, or Juneau, or Audette you don't put them lower then they should be, because they had a decent game.
*sigh*

Or, if you'd paid attention all these weeks, you'd know that I, in fact, *like* Juneau and have stated consistently that I thought he was doing an admirable job on the third line checking out the other teams best players.

Or not, because that might take reading.

*sigh*

A concerned fan.

Old
11-15-2003, 08:34 PM
higgs88

I forgot someone very very very important...GOD BLESS THEODORE!!!!!!!
38 saves is not something that happens often ...I'm happy he was the 1st star of the game!!

Old
11-15-2003, 08:38 PM
Rahan

Only taking out the "not worth anything" would make my post pretty constructive. And I must add that I didn't throw any insult in this, as I don't think saying a post is biased is an insult, just needs some "look back at it, see if what I'm saying is REALLY what happened and not the way I think". Maybe I use it the wrong way.. I don't know.

I agree that the habs didn't deserve that win. I think your comments on players most of the time makes sense and are deserved, I just had to jump on that one because I thought those 3 evaluations weren't near what they really deserve. I actually enjoy reading your evaluations every night..

Gotta sleep, I realise I didn't answer all the points but I'm tired

Again, sorry if I insulted you.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Again, sorry if I insulted you.
Not in the least.

All I want to do is force out the best possible discussion and it seemed like your post was made in haste and anger and I wasn't sure that you actually read the entire thing before posting.

You think Rivet played poorly, I agree. I just think he was working hard whist being useless. Was it his 'A' game? Hardly, I think you and I would agree that it being his 'D' game is perhaps a stretch. You think Perreault and Audette played better than I gave them credit for? That's possible, for sure. Perhaps too much of my mark is based on that second period where I felt most of the forwards failed to make an appearance, it's entirely possible. I scanned the game tape again quickly for instances of either of the two and while I stand by what I said about Perreault, perhaps I *was* a little harsh on Audette, though I don't think by much.

I think the problem with assigning 'marks' for a player during a game is that it's tough to decide what to mark because each player brings something totally different to the game. I'm tempted to do away with them entirely because it is *they* that are starting discussions rather than what really matters - what I've written before that about how the player really performed.

In the end, though, I like to put out something for a) people who haven't seen the game and might like an indication of what happened, and b) a brief analysis which can serve to help others' examine their thoughts about the players and start rational debate or perhaps help with understanding for a more casual fan.

Too many on these lists feel the need to be confrontational when in reality we're all in the same boat - Hab fans.

A concerned (Hab) fan.

Old
11-15-2003, 11:08 PM
Habs

Anyone who actually thinks we played well, here are a couple of quotes:

"That's obviously one game we didn't deserve to win," said Canadiens centre Joe Juneau.

"There was a battle behind the net, all of the sudden the puck came out. I was surprised," said Bulis. "We've been outplayed. Thank God luck's been on our side this time."

This was Theo's win. Let's pat him on the back, and move on. I know it's hard for the Theo bashers to suck it up, but just give the guy credit.. he deserves it.

Old
11-16-2003, 02:24 AM
JOHNNY V

Sizzling BRUINS topple NUCKS in OT. First place is sweet

to my BRUINS

VIVA LA LORD STANLEY :p

Old
11-16-2003, 04:40 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY V

to my BRUINS

So Johnny V, when's Thornton retiring? I hope you've been counting his tears.

HABS!

Old
11-16-2003, 05:16 AM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
So Johnny V, when's Thornton retiring? I hope you've been counting his tears.

HABS!

When are the HABNOTS, going to get out of the basement?

Old
11-16-2003, 05:42 AM
AK-47

Quote:

to my BRUINS

Considering it's the first time in your history that something like that happens. I fully understand your joy.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:20 AM
Joe Malone

Quote:

to my BRUINS

I recall the B's were sizzling at this time last year too.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:28 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

to my BRUINS

2 seasons ago your Pooh bears were in first and in the playoffs they ran into the Habs in 8th... need I say more

Old
11-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Craig52Rivet

getting outplayed but winning

First off, I gotta hand it to me, I was pretty close yesterday; posted this in the game thread at 12:30pm:

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that the Habs take this one, 2-1. Remember the last couple of years how a lot of our wins would be games that we didn't deserve but we'd get a slim lead and then hang onto it for dear life being badly outshot until 00:00 rolled up on the clock? I think it'll be a game like that. The news lines shake things up and we get a couple of goals, then in the 3rd Ottawa's talent comes on strong but a combination of the trap (which will be pregnable by a team like the sens) and Theodore having a great game will get us our first win against this far far better team.

Okay, so one more goal for each side. Nobody's perfect.

EXCEPT JOSE THEODORE... almost.

As for what happened last night, yeah we definitely stole two points, but I'm not as discouraged as a lot of people on here. Look at this as a little retribution from the hockey gods for all of the games where we outplayed and badly outshot opponents but lost (the Rangers game comes to mind, but there have been quite a few this year). If we play the rest of the year the way we played last night, we'll be out of it by February; but let's be honest - the hockey we saw last night from the habs was the exception this year, not the norm. I don't think this team is all that bad if it would just put a few more pucks in the net. They've played well enough this season to be at or slightly above .500, and for right now that's good enough to keep us in the hunt.

GO HABS GO

Old
11-17-2003, 03:14 AM
AK-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgs88

Well you were almost right!! The habs did win that game with a nice 3-2!! Bulis played really hard and he needed those 2 goals!! As for Audette, I think it was quite a lucky one!!
Good game!! I can't wait to see what Claude Julien will do with Joe juneau since it kinda worked out putting him with Koivu and Zednik...Craig Rivet needs help...maybe a short while in Hamilton could help him being good...I said maybe!!!

I'm not a fan of audette, but that goal wasn't luck. He beat Lalime with a very nice deke.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:00 PM
higgs88

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-47
I'm not a fan of audette, but that goal wasn't luck. He beat Lalime with a very nice deke.
Oh well, I'm not saying it was not a nice goal, it was beautiful...it's just my opinion about the "lucky" thing!!

Closed Thread