HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranking the Pacific

Old
08-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Mr_Jones*

vCash: 500
Yea, both Conroy and Willsie can provide some experience and be defensive foils to the youngsters.

Mr_Jones* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Am I the only one who is not putting too much faith in Brian Willsie?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
He'll be a top six similar to how Trent Klatt was.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
He'll be a top six similar to how Trent Klatt was.
I'll be stoked if he comes in and can play like Klatt, but from everything I've heard from Washington fans, it's not likely.

Old
08-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Mr_Jones*

The 19 goals he scored last year give me hope. But what makes me happier is the 82 games he played.

Mr_Jones* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 12:47 AM
bland

Quote:
He may have another career year. He's the right "kind" of player to ride the wing with Frolov and Conroy, but you would obviously hope for a player with more natural talent and a better resume for that position. Barring any further acquisitions, we could see this line-up:

Frolov - Conroy - Willsie (Dumont would look damn good here)
O'Sullivan - McCauley - Cammalleri
Thornton - Avery - Brown
Cowan - Belanger/Armstrong - Kostopolous/Parros

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 01:22 AM
KINGOFHEARTS

Pacific Ranking

1. Ducks
2. Sharks
3. Kings
4. Stars
5. Coyotes

KINGOFHEARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 06:34 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
It seems as though Lombardi would prefer to let Kopitar spend as much time in Manchester as is helpful.
And I think he'll do just that, be it zero or 20 or 80 games. I like the idea that there appears to be a spot for Kopitar WHEN he shows he's ready. I'm looking at it that IF Lombardi was to go out and acquire a top-6 center, psychologically it might have an effect on Kopitar IF he doesn't see an opportunity with the big club. Again, I could be way off with this...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 09:50 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
He may have another career year. He's the right "kind" of player to ride the wing with Frolov and Conroy, but you would obviously hope for a player with more natural talent and a better resume for that position. Barring any further acquisitions, we could see this line-up:

Frolov - Conroy - Willsie (Dumont would look damn good here)
O'Sullivan - McCauley - Cammalleri
Thornton - Avery - Brown
Cowan - Belanger/Armstrong - Kostopolous/Parros
I will have an absolute conniption fit if Brown isn't playing in the top 6.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
I'll be stoked if he comes in and can play like Klatt, but from everything I've heard from Washington fans, it's not likely.
I guess you don't recall how most Canucks fans felt about Klatt...

Old
08-21-2006, 02:02 PM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I will have an absolute conniption fit if Brown isn't playing in the top 6.
Why?

He's simply not good enough (yet, but possibly ever)for that spot.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 08:55 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Why?

He's simply not good enough (yet, but possibly ever)for that spot.
I think he needs to be put in a scoring role in order to develop. I don't see how having him grind it out on the 3rd/4th lines is gonna help.

Brown was 18th on the Kings last year in terms of average ice time per game, 10th amongst fowards, yet was still able to notch 14 goals. If given top 6 minutes, I think 20 goals this season is a real possibility.

Old
08-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Osprey

Quote:
I think he needs to be put in a scoring role in order to develop. I don't see how having him grind it out on the 3rd/4th lines is gonna help.
Well, first of all, Crawford isn't Murray and seems to want less grinding and more scoring from his 3rd line. The scoring will be spread out, so Brown would still have opportunity if he ends up on the 3rd line. Also, he doesn't have the same ceiling at the NHL level that typical pure scorers have, IMO, and is very much a physical type of player, so playing on the 3rd line isn't as bad as it may seem. Perhaps it may even be better for him to not be pushed to put up top-6 points, considering his fragile self-confidence issues. He could get away with being a little streaky on the 3rd line, and playing with Thornton (a good role model for him) might do him some good.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 10:42 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Well, first of all, Crawford isn't Murray and seems to want less grinding and more scoring from his 3rd line. The scoring will be spread out, so Brown would still have opportunity if he ends up on the 3rd line. Also, he doesn't have the same ceiling at the NHL level that typical pure scorers have, IMO, and is very much a physical type of player, so playing on the 3rd line isn't as bad as it may seem. Perhaps it may even be better for him to not be pushed to put up top-6 points, considering his fragile self-confidence issues. He could get away with being a little streaky on the 3rd line, and playing with Thornton (a good role model for him) might do him some good.
I agree. I don't think it would be bad for him at all. He can develop his game without much pressure to score. I say start him off in a top 6 role and then see how he responds. I think I read somewhere where Lombardi said the NHL is changing and that teams are looking for more of a balanced attack rather than the old Top 6, Checker/Grinder, Energy Unit Lines and that those roles might not be as improtant as before.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 08:10 AM
johnjm22

I wouldn't mind if we had a significantly better player to plug into the top 6. But Wilsie? I like the guy, but I wouldn't given him a top 6 spot over Brown.

I guess I could live with him on the 3rd line as long as he gets some decent PP time. I thought he perfromed relatively well on the PP last year.

Old
08-22-2006, 01:25 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
I see the Pacific Division being one of the toughest divisions this year. The Kings dont LOOK like a team that will win the division this year, but on the other hand I see the competing for it. People really bag on the Coyotes, but I also see them competing as well. I loved the way they were playing at the end of the year. Anaheim has Pronger and Niedermayer. Quite frankly thats all you need to compete. San Jose always is tough, and so is Dallas.

However, I do think the Kings are being overlooked.

Blake-Visnovsky at the point on the PP is as close as it gets to Niedermayer-Pronger. Visnovsky is probably our best player, IMO.

I can see good things coming out of this years Kings team w/ Belanger, McCauley, Avery, Conroy, O'Sullivan, Frolov, Brown, Thornton, Cammeleri.. There isn't any 'star power' there, but all 9 of those guys are good hockey players, and pretty gritty hockey players that I don't think will let us be a bad team.

So I see it shaping up like this:

1. Anaheim
2. San Jose
3. Los Angeles
4. Dallas
5. Phoenix

But very close, and spots 2-5 can easily be re-arranged in any order.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Osprey

Quote:
I wouldn't mind if we had a significantly better player to plug into the top 6. But Wilsie? I like the guy, but I wouldn't given him a top 6 spot over Brown.
Well, Willsie is, granted, probably more of a 3rd-liner than a top-6 at the moment, but the idea for placing him in the top-6 is to provide one of the lines with a little feistiness and veteranship, as well as to balance out the scoring over 3 lines. If you don't promote someone, you end up with one of your top 2 lines having all players under 25, and that's probably not a good thing.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Reaper45

Willsie fiesty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
well, no more "Willsie sucks" posts in the GDTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
What kind of game does he play?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number67 View Post
Shoot and miss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Willsie works very, very hard, but is very limited in talent. He's not physical, but can hold down a second-line scoring wing position in a pinch. His numbers this year are due to 82 games in the top 6 and playing on the power play. He was also a favorite of coach Glen Hanlon.

Not a bad player, but if he's above your fourth line, you need help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Rejoice! His reign of terror is over!
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Willsie is a pretty good back up top 6 winger. If your teams needs him as a regular in the top 6, then you are a team like the Capitals were last season. If you use him as a 4th liner or a scratch that can pick up an injuried top 6 forward, then he is pretty good.

He has the hands to score at the NHL level and has. He is not strong or fast enough to check at this level and I think he wears down and then slows down.

I think as a part time player that gets fill in duty on the top two lines and the power play, that he could get you 10 goals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Salary details:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...ck=1&cset=true

"Willsie, who can play either wing, agreed to a deal Tuesday that will pay him $800,000 next season and $900,000 in 2007-08."

Ouch!

By reading these Caps posters thoughts on Willsie, I'm not too thrilled about Brian Willsie as a King.

Old
08-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Sounds a lot like Klatt to me...
Remember, a lot of Calgary fans didn't think much of Conroy when he left and felt Langkow would be an upgrade. They all thought that Conroy without Iginla will suffer offensively. We saw how that worked out...

Old
08-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Sounds a lot like Klatt to me...
Remember, a lot of Calgary fans didn't think much of Conroy when he left and felt Langkow would be an upgrade. They all thought that Conroy without Iginla will suffer offensively. We saw how that worked out...
But Klatt was physical and I don't remember any Vancouver fans saying that he wasn't.

Old
08-22-2006, 05:20 PM
johnjm22

I'd rather have Avery in the top 6 than Wilsie.

Old
08-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
But Klatt was physical and I don't remember any Vancouver fans saying that he wasn't.
I wouldn't consider Klatt to be all that physical. He didn't shy away from contact and he would be the first to the puck in the corners. Watch Willsie's goals and you'll see why I draw the Klatt comparison. You'll notice that a good majority of Willsie's goals have come from the front of the net.

With increased playing time, Willsie's stats have gotten better every season. He was a productive goal scorer in the juniors and minors, which isn't saying much, but he's still 28 and showing improvement in his game and production year by year. I think he'll manage to fill in just fine as a borderline 2nd line forward.

Remember, Klatt wasn't counted on to be a top six forward, but due to injuries he was slotted in the top six on a line with Luc and Armstrong, and they were the most consistent line in 03-04 that stuck together and produced.

Old
08-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
I wouldn't consider Klatt to be all that physical. He didn't shy away from contact and he would be the first to the puck in the corners. Watch Willsie's goals and you'll see why I draw the Klatt comparison. You'll notice that a good majority of Willsie's goals have come from the front of the net.

With increased playing time, Willsie's stats have gotten better every season. He was a productive goal scorer in the juniors and minors, which isn't saying much, but he's still 28 and showing improvement in his game and production year by year. I think he'll manage to fill in just fine as a borderline 2nd line forward.

Remember, Klatt wasn't counted on to be a top six forward, but due to injuries he was slotted in the top six on a line with Luc and Armstrong, and they were the most consistent line in 03-04 that stuck together and produced.
I thought Klatt was slotted in the top 6, when someone said he'd be playing with Allison and Deadmatsh...

Old
08-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
I thought Klatt was slotted in the top 6, when someone said he'd be playing with Allison and Deadmatsh...
From what I recall, they had that option. At the time the Kings added Klatt, they had Palffy, Deadmarsh, Allison, Stumpel, Frolov, Robitaille, Cammalleri, Brown, Armstrong, Belanger, Avery, Laperriere, Cowan and other spares like Brennan, Sim, Tripp, etc.

Cammalleri got hurt early on and Brown was injured in December. We kept waiting for the arrival of Allison and Deadmarsh up until the new year. Straka was acquired in November and Anson Carter at the deadline. I don't think they had any other option but to use Klatt in that role, especially after how well he clicked with Luc and Army.

Old
08-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Yotes4Life

Sorry everybody that I am late.. I had to travel because of work but this is how the fans in the pacific sees how the teams rank up.

1st San Jose
2nd Anaheim (very close to being first)
3rd Phoenix
4th Dallas (very close to third)
5th Los Angeles

It will be interesting to see how the season shapes out and how close we are to being right but who knows, thats why we love this sport.

Thanks for you thoughts

Yotes4Life is offline   Reply With Quote