Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Ranking the Pacific

Old
08-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Yotes4Life

vCash: 500
Ranking the Pacific

Ok only what 6 weeks till we drop the puck. It will be interesting to see how tough and tight the Pacific will be. Can you guys please rank 1 to 5 in what place you think the teams will fininsh this year

in no order

Anaheim
Dallas
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose

In a couple of days I will tally the points from the pacific boards

Thanks

Last edited by Yotes4Life: 08-18-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Yotes4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 03:29 AM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Dallas
San Jose
Anaheim
Phoenix
Los Angeles

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 07:17 AM
JoeLH

San Jose
Anaheim
Dallas
Phoenix
L.A.

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
It's so hard to say. I'll do what I did last year with tiers, since that's easier to quantify.

Top tier - Dallas had a pretty good/very good regular season and crashed and burned in the playoffs. The lost 2/3 of their second line (although with the way Guerin produced, it's more like 1/3) but picked up upgrades at center if they can stay healthy. Backup goalie is a question mark and their defense isn't very physical on paper. They're also kinda old.

San Jose had a great run when they picked up Thornton, but their D-core is shaky at best (because of their youth) beyond the top two. No one has taken away their goalie issues either. They've got the talent to be a SC contender but have never demonstrated the ability to put it all together, and Thornton isn't historically the cornerstone for "putting it all together" in the playoffs.

Middle tier - Anaheim - Who is going to be the starting goalie, and will he play like his best playoff run or his typical regular season averageness? Who is going to score?

Bottom tier - Phoenix - Jovonovski was a good signing, but not for the money. The same can be said for Laraque. Goaltending has traditionally been a black hole since the late 1990s.

LA - Goalie questions, depth questions and the ever present injury bug. Could put it all together with their young talent, especially now that Murray and his drill-sargent style is gone. Or they could fall apart like the end of last year.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 09:51 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Dallas
San Jose
Anaheim
Phoenix
Los Angeles

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 02:31 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
1a. Dallas
1b. Anaheim
3. San Jose
4. Phoenix
5. LA

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 03:03 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
It's so hard to say. I'll do what I did last year with tiers, since that's easier to quantify.

Top tier - Dallas had a pretty good/very good regular season and crashed and burned in the playoffs. The lost 2/3 of their second line (although with the way Guerin produced, it's more like 1/3) but picked up upgrades at center if they can stay healthy. Backup goalie is a question mark and their defense isn't very physical on paper. They're also kinda old.

San Jose had a great run when they picked up Thornton, but their D-core is shaky at best (because of their youth) beyond the top two. No one has taken away their goalie issues either. They've got the talent to be a SC contender but have never demonstrated the ability to put it all together, and Thornton isn't historically the cornerstone for "putting it all together" in the playoffs.

Middle tier - Anaheim - Who is going to be the starting goalie, and will he play like his best playoff run or his typical regular season averageness? Who is going to score?

Bottom tier - Phoenix - Jovonovski was a good signing, but not for the money. The same can be said for Laraque. Goaltending has traditionally been a black hole since the late 1990s.

LA - Goalie questions, depth questions and the ever present injury bug. Could put it all together with their young talent, especially now that Murray and his drill-sargent style is gone. Or they could fall apart like the end of last year.
Your Anaheim points dont make much sense...last year Giguere and Bryz were in the top 12 in save % and GAA...and that is without weeding out the goalies that were backups. How is that average?

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 05:45 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Yeah a bit confusing.. How is Phoenix's goaltending a black hole since the late 90's? We had Sean Burke who pretty much had the best save pct of any goalie over a 3 year period from 2000-3. Boucher wasnt so hot but he did set a NHL record for consecutive shutouts. Now we have Cujo, one of the winningest goalies of all time. Hmm.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 12:54 PM
FarPastGone

Dallas
Anaheim
San Jose
Phoenix
LA

I personally think one of the great strengths of Anaheim is their goalies, so saying that they are questionable in that department doesn't really make sense to me. I also think that Lupul's departure is not being valued as much as it should be.

FarPastGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 04:28 PM
theoil

San Jose
Anaheim
Dallas
Phoenix
La

Regular season, of course. The most haunting image I have of the cup run is Thornton on the bench half way through the third period of the sixth game looking at his skates because his team was down. Where is the heart? But he sure does score during the regular season.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Killer Keller

1 Dallas
2a Anaheim
2b San Jose
4 Phoenix
5 LA

Killer Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 10:41 AM
oozer

1. Dallas
2. Anaheim
3. San Jose
4. L.A.
5. Phoenix

I think Phoenix has some horses but Gretzky is too much of a hot-headed coach and the Tocchet thing will be a disctraction again.

oozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 05:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Yeah a bit confusing.. How is Phoenix's goaltending a black hole since the late 90's? We had Sean Burke who pretty much had the best save pct of any goalie over a 3 year period from 2000-3. Boucher wasnt so hot but he did set a NHL record for consecutive shutouts. Now we have Cujo, one of the winningest goalies of all time. Hmm.
You're forgetting Khabibulin.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 06:34 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

1. Anaheim
2. San Jose
3. Dallas
4. Phoenix
5. Los Angeles

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 01:39 PM
szpieg4739

1. Dallas
2. Anaheim
3. San Jose
4. Los Angeles
5. Phoenix

szpieg4739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 02:07 PM
LordHelmet

I think there are two distinct tiers in the Pac.

1 - Dallas, SJ, and Anaheim. One of the three will win the division by 6-10 points. The other two will be within 5 points of each other for 2nd. All 3 will make the playoffs.

2 - LA and Phoenix. They'll be good in flashes, but won't be a factor in the playoff or division title race.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
You're forgetting Khabibulin.
Yeah I was going to mention him but he last played for us in 1999.

Old
08-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
1. Dallas
2. San Jose
3. Anaheim
4. Phoenix
5. Los Angeles

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 09:39 PM
CrossCheck

Sj
Ana
Pho
Dal
La

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Hyped

Here's my prediction:

Anaheim
San Jose
Phoenix
Dallas
LA

Hyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Yotes4Life

Sorry everybody that I am late.. I had to travel because of work but this is how the fans in the pacific sees how the teams rank up.

1st San Jose
2nd Anaheim (very close to being first)
3rd Phoenix
4th Dallas (very close to third)
5th Los Angeles

It will be interesting to see how the season shapes out and how close we are to being right but who knows, thats why we love this sport.

Thanks for you thoughts

Old
08-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Alistar

I think that Dallas is the team in this division with the best all around composition. Barring a season long injury to Marty Turco (and this isnt something that has happened before), theres very few things that could make them perform below expectations so far as I can see. we have a goodly amount of players at all foreward and defense positions that can come up and at the very least fill spots in our roster if neccessary. so without further adu:

1. Dallas - explained above
2. Anaheim - Id rather have defensive depth over foreward, despite the latest apparent trend in the NHL.
3. San Jose - wernt these guys the pick to win the division handily last year? Im not really sold on the hype.
4. Phoenix - I dont like Gretzky as a coach believe it or not. I just get this feeling this team wont really do very well, and they have to prove it to me with a solid first half before I even think of considering them as contenders for a playoff position.
5. Los Angeles - a very weak team.

People who rank Phoenix or Los Angeles ahead of Dallas (or Anaheim / San Jose though thats not as common) make me laugh. I dont really see anything that could make someone think Phoenix will somehow make up 30 points on Dallas. (and Los Angeles has to be considered a bit weaker then they were last year). The off season gains and losses of both teams dont add up.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I dont disagree with you that Dallas arent getting enough respect.

However Phoenix have made quite a few additions. Jovanovski, Boynton, Laraque, Roenick, Nolan plus they should have Morris, Nagy, Scatchard and Reinprecht for a whole season instead of half.

Phoenix were contenders for a playoff position under Gretzky right up to the final weeks last year. I wouldnt call LA a very weak team either, this is a very tough division.

Old
08-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Yotes4Life

Oops my totals were off by a bit..

1st San Jose
2nd Anaheim (very close to being first)
3rd Dallas
4th Yotes
5th Los Angeles

LOL dont post and drive long hours they dont mix

Old
08-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
I dont disagree with you that Dallas arent getting enough respect.

However Phoenix have made quite a few additions. Jovanovski, Boynton, Laraque, Roenick, Nolan plus they should have Morris, Nagy, Scatchard and Reinprecht for a whole season instead of half.

Phoenix were contenders for a playoff position under Gretzky right up to the final weeks last year. I wouldnt call LA a very weak team either, this is a very tough division.
this may be true, and I admit that my familiarity with the phoenix coyotes is not the best (I did know of their player additions but I didnt realise they had key players miss significant time last year). I still think that Phoenix will struggle to make the playoffs while Dallas would be a dissapointing surprise if they missed.

I dunno how much Boynton, Laraque, Roenick, and especially Nolan are gonna help them though =/. I would much rather prefer that they had kep Mara then acquired Boynton...

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote