HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Top 20 Prospects

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-19-2006, 12:13 AM
  #1
jmtznr0th
Registered User
 
jmtznr0th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Flyers Top 20 Prospects

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=9003

jmtznr0th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 12:58 AM
  #2
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,040
vCash: 583
Nodl a 7.0D? That's insane.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 03:21 AM
  #3
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,465
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Bodrov is underrated trust me...he was in the preliminary list of national team!!!

__________________
Алексей Черепанов навсегда в наших сердцах
Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 04:21 AM
  #4
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Nodl a 7.0D? That's insane.
Yeah, those rankings are pretty confusing. Kiel McLeod is a 6.0C and unranked in the top 20, yet he has the same rating as our number 3 prospect.


I've always thought that Hockey's Future should get rid of the stupid number rating, but then they had to go and add letters on top of that.

It's worthless for upside comparison within one organization, but 1000x worse when you look at another team's page and their writer has completely different standards than another team's. What's the point of even having these numbers and letters if there is absolutely no correlation between them?

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 10:23 AM
  #5
markzab
Registered User
 
markzab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,368
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
I thought they would have rated Downie a bit higher than a 6.5C though.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 01:02 PM
  #6
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
We've got a ton of long shot prospects and it's what makes our top twenty so hit and miss. I still wish I had a clue on whether Bellamy was going to make it or not, though.


The good news for us Flyer fans is that, in two years, we'll have our answers on pretty much everyone.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 02:07 PM
  #7
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
We've got a ton of long shot prospects and it's what makes our top twenty so hit and miss. I still wish I had a clue on whether Bellamy was going to make it or not, though.


The good news for us Flyer fans is that, in two years, we'll have our answers on pretty much everyone.
More good news is that, aside from defense, the Flyers are not in desperate need for players to move up from the prospects any time soon, so they can let the prospects develop without rushing any of them.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 02:17 PM
  #8
DXFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Kiel McLeod is the Phantoms version of Derrian Hatcher. This 6 foot tree stump is a big tall nothing. He has all the size, does not throw any weight around.

DXFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 02:27 PM
  #9
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXFlyers View Post
Kiel McLeod is the Phantoms version of Eric Daze. This 6 foot tree stump is a big tall nothing. He has all the size, does not throw any weight around.
I think that's what you intended to say.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 05:48 PM
  #10
Skid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
I thought they would have rated Downie a bit higher than a 6.5C though.
i find downie the most overrated prospect for any NHL team. he plays a big game in the OHL against weaker guys, i dont know if that knucklehead can do the same things in against men. But hes canadian so i wouldnt mind being wrong on this one.

Skid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 06:22 PM
  #11
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,815
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhander View Post
Bodrov is underrated trust me...he was in the preliminary list of national team!!!
for Clarke to draft a Russian...I wouldn't shortchange your opinion

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 06:30 PM
  #12
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,465
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
What do you mean sorry?? I am not english mothertongue

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 07:34 PM
  #13
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skid17 View Post
i find downie the most overrated prospect for any NHL team. he plays a big game in the OHL against weaker guys, i dont know if that knucklehead can do the same things in against men. But hes canadian so i wouldnt mind being wrong on this one.
You can question Downie's offensive potential in the pro leagues, but I'll never get this knock on him that some haters have that he doesn't back up his game or doesn't have heart. The guy fights a ton for such a skilled player in the OHL, and shows no signs of the type who will back down against bigger competition.

paxtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 08:20 PM
  #14
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skid17 View Post
i find downie the most overrated prospect for any NHL team. he plays a big game in the OHL against weaker guys, i dont know if that knucklehead can do the same things in against men. But hes canadian so i wouldnt mind being wrong on this one.
Sorry there, skidmark is it? Yeah, Downie has already proved that he's a top notch prospect. The WJC tournament and the OHL playoffs already cemented that. Does he have a temper? Absolutely, however, that can be worked on. When challenged to play disciplined hockey, Downie answers. He's one of the few prospects I'm not worried about at all. He'll fit in quite fine on the first and/or second line and his playmaking skills on the wing will be quite fitting for whoever he plays with.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 09:04 PM
  #15
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Sorry there, skidmark is it? Yeah, Downie has already proved that he's a top notch prospect. The WJC tournament and the OHL playoffs already cemented that. Does he have a temper? Absolutely, however, that can be worked on. When challenged to play disciplined hockey, Downie answers. He's one of the few prospects I'm not worried about at all. He'll fit in quite fine on the first and/or second line and his playmaking skills on the wing will be quite fitting for whoever he plays with.
Do you really think that Downie has first line potential for the NHL?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 09:45 PM
  #16
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Do you really think that Downie has first line potential for the NHL?
I do think Downie has first line potential. Everyone may think of Downie being a rat on skates, but fact of the matter is that he does have a good shot and he sees the ice very well. His playmaking skills are something you don't hear a lot about, but he's very, very good at distributing the puck.

I believe that with some proper coaching, he'll get his temper and emotions in check. Once he does, he'll be a very, very good player. The guy has got offensive talents that you can't teach. He's a very similar player to Mike Richards. And it's only because of the depth we have at centre that Mike is the third centre on the team. That's the ONLY reason.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 12:03 PM
  #17
Skid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I do think Downie has first line potential. Everyone may think of Downie being a rat on skates, but fact of the matter is that he does have a good shot and he sees the ice very well. His playmaking skills are something you don't hear a lot about, but he's very, very good at distributing the puck.

I believe that with some proper coaching, he'll get his temper and emotions in check. Once he does, he'll be a very, very good player. The guy has got offensive talents that you can't teach. He's a very similar player to Mike Richards. And it's only because of the depth we have at centre that Mike is the third centre on the team. That's the ONLY reason.
i would compare him to cam janssen before mike richards

Skid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 12:31 PM
  #18
Norm MacDonald
Registered User
 
Norm MacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skid17 View Post
i would compare him to cam janssen before mike richards
Except that Janssen is just a skilless goon.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 12:38 PM
  #19
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skid17 View Post
i would compare him to cam janssen before mike richards
Well you'd be far far wrong.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 12:39 PM
  #20
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhander View Post
What do you mean sorry?? I am not english mothertongue
He means that you are probably right because it is rare for Philadelphia to draft Russians, so Clarke must really like him.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 01:29 PM
  #21
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skid17 View Post
i would compare him to cam janssen before mike richards
Uh, why? They're actually very similar players (Richards and Downie), of course that is if you compare their skill-set/leadership ability and leave out Steve's incidents over the last few years.

While I love Janssen and the role he can play for a team, the only thing he and Downie share are a physical presence and willingness to drop the gloves. But Downie also shares those traits with Richards as well.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 04:00 PM
  #22
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skid17 View Post
i would compare him to cam janssen before mike richards
Wait, first you say that Downie won't pull the stuff he pulls against bigger guys, then you compare him to Cam Janssen, a guy who despite his size fights very frequently against bigger players and does very well for himself? Kind of a contradiction, don't you think?

paxtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 07:39 PM
  #23
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skid17 View Post
i would compare him to cam janssen before mike richards
Your lack of knowledge about Steve Downie is remarkable skidmark. Comparing him to Cam Janssen is even funnier and shows how little you really know. The most Cam Janssen scored ever in a single season is 22 points and that was his rookie season in the OHL. He's never come close to that mark since. Steve Downie had 72 points his draft year and had he not had that prolonged walkout in Windsor last year, he would have broke the 72 points. He had 50 points in 34 games, about 1.5 points per game. On top of that, Janssen was never invited to Canada's WJC team. Not only was Downie invited, he was one of the best forwards at the tournament, and if I remember correctly, he lead Team Canada in scoring. Then, we can get to his OHL playoff run where he was a dominant player.

So, please tell me how he compares to Janssen again? Is it because he can fight? Is it because of the size? It obviously can't be about skill because Downie kicks Janssen all over the place in terms of skill. And if you've ever watched Downie play, you'll see that he is a very similar player to Mike Richards in that both have a similar skating style, both are excellent passers and both really step up when challenged by coaches and when the game is on the line.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 11:24 PM
  #24
califlyersfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Your lack of knowledge about Steve Downie is remarkable skidmark. Comparing him to Cam Janssen is even funnier and shows how little you really know.


Funnier???

califlyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 11:07 AM
  #25
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFlyers View Post
He means that you are probably right because it is rare for Philadelphia to draft Russians, so Clarke must really like him.
The reason why Clarke drafted Bodrov is because he hits like a tank. If I remember correctly he was the only best Russian player during... Was it last year? or the year before Russia vs Canada game in WJC. He was punishing players with his checks.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.