HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev

Old
08-21-2006, 01:44 PM
A Flock Of Seguins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
No because Russians are better at hockey (schools, development programs, coaching, traditions, fan base, you name it) then the Ukrainians. That’s a fact.
eh??

A Flock Of Seguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 01:51 PM
FoppaArGud

I dont see it happening

He is a beast offensively and obviously very young; he could find the net 60+ times on the top line but I cant imagine a scenario where the Flyers land him.

FoppaArGud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 01:58 PM
CapsChemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm815 View Post
Thats because Russia can pay him more than ukraine can. He's a typical russified ukrainian who leaves his heritage for the money...a la Tverdovsky, Bondra, and many others. He is ukrainian who was born in the ukraine during the russian control.
Shto? I think he is Russian who was born in Kiev. Zherdev does not sound very Ukrainian. Also i bet you he does not speak one sentance of Ukrainian. Bondra i believe was a Slovak who was born in the Ukrainian near the Slovak border.

CapsChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 09:39 PM
mdm815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
No because Russians are better at hockey (schools, development programs, coaching, traditions, fan base, you name it) then the Ukrainians. Thatís a fact.
its because they have more money to afford such things, I wont deny it. Ukraine is a very young country in terms of independance, so obviosuly they still have some financial troubles.

mdm815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 09:43 PM
mdm815

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoholyca View Post
Shto? I think he is Russian who was born in Kiev. Zherdev does not sound very Ukrainian. Also i bet you he does not speak one sentance of Ukrainian. Bondra i believe was a Slovak who was born in the Ukrainian near the Slovak border.
Actually OV is more commonly russian then EV, tho it appears also ( kovalev for instance)...OV is also found in Ukrainian names...Russian and ukrainian are fairly similar so im sure he could converse with a ukrainian...And regardless, his birth certificate probably says he was born in the ukraine , making him ukrainian... You cant deny that money could possibly be a factor b/c lets face it, most athletes do play for money...

mdm815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 10:10 PM
OhioGuy

I posted something similar on the proposals board but I thought I would chime in here too.

There really are no contract issues with any team other than Columbus. Zherdev has said numerous times that he wants a long term deal, 3 or 4 years. The "problem" we have is that our GM, Doug MacLean, does not want to give him a 3 or 4 year contract. Doug only wants to sign him for 1 or 2 years and then give him a larger contract if he can deliver. Although I totally disagree with the way Doug is going about this, I can understand why he is doing it.

That being said, if Zherdev were traded to another team (Flyers for example) I very much believe he would sign the same contract that he wants from the Jackets, 3 or 4 years at a very reasonable rate for the numbers he will put up.

I don't know if we (Columbus and Philly) would be good trading partners or not, I just don't know enough about your team outside of Forsberg and Gagne to make that assertion. Zherdev would be a great addition to any team. I think he could immediately take over a top 6 spot and thrive there on any team in the league. I also think it would be a mistake to simply dismiss him becuase of the contract "issues".

OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 10:40 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
A poll of the fans in Columbus. the majority say good riddance. The can do just fine without him. He was horrible most of the year. He only got good when they got Federov. Anyone of the CBJ prospect can score 27 goals if Fed's is setting them up. He has more baggage than the contract
Ummm...

1. What poll is this, link, if you will.

2. They can do fine without him? Who's going to score aside from Fedorov and Nash then? That's basically their offense. Sanderson and Whitney have been gone for some time now. Cassels has been gone. Brule got hurt last season twice. Who's going to put up numbers for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
What poll is this you speak of?

I disagree. Most Cbus fans do not want to see Zherdev traded.

What going on now is posturing on both sides, no more and no less. He'll get signed -- probably to a one year deal and then if he performs up to expectations he'll get his long term deal after that. As of right now, to many questions for Z to answer both on and off the ice to give him that long term deal at this point.
They need to lock him up immediately. Just sign him long term, it will pay dividends down the road.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I posted something similar on the proposals board but I thought I would chime in here too.

There really are no contract issues with any team other than Columbus. Zherdev has said numerous times that he wants a long term deal, 3 or 4 years. The "problem" we have is that our GM, Doug MacLean, does not want to give him a 3 or 4 year contract. Doug only wants to sign him for 1 or 2 years and then give him a larger contract if he can deliver. Although I totally disagree with the way Doug is going about this, I can understand why he is doing it.

That being said, if Zherdev were traded to another team (Flyers for example) I very much believe he would sign the same contract that he wants from the Jackets, 3 or 4 years at a very reasonable rate for the numbers he will put up.

I don't know if we (Columbus and Philly) would be good trading partners or not, I just don't know enough about your team outside of Forsberg and Gagne to make that assertion. Zherdev would be a great addition to any team. I think he could immediately take over a top 6 spot and thrive there on any team in the league. I also think it would be a mistake to simply dismiss him becuase of the contract "issues".
Well, it would depend what you're looking for. Offense isn't a need for the Flyers as they have 7 guys who potted at least 20 goals last year and we expect a lot of those guys to get even better (Calder, Carter, Umberger, and Richards (who didn't score 20)). We have some very good youth offensively in Carter, Richards, Umberger, and recent 1st round picks Downie and Giroux.

Pitkanen is absolutey un-touchable, nothing in Columbus could make the Flyers trade Joni. I don't think we'd trade Carter straight up for Zherdev, either. His all around upside is probably very similar and he doesn't have the contract problems of a Zherdev. Richards is a character player and fills a need for us. Zherdev would be a talent up-grade, but Richards is going to be our captain shortly and I'm sure we'd be reluctant to deal him also.

The only trades I can think of that would make any sense would be either a deal of Zherdev + for Gagne (because I wouldn't deal Simon for him straight up, he's in a different class right now) or something like Umberger ++ for Zherdev.

The teams probably aren't the best trading partners, but I don't really know what type of player Columbus would be looking for in return. We don't really have any young NHL ready D that would be available other then maybe Picard or Jonsson (who just signed).

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote