Notices

Petteri Nummelin - Top six defenseman?

Old
08-19-2006, 06:05 PM
X-SHARKIE

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Petteri Nummelin - Top six defenseman?

Hey all Wild fans, McKeens has Nummelin as a possible powerplay quarterback for the Wild and a possible breakout player.

DO you guys see him on their top six at this point? Is he on a one way deal with the NHL or will he possibly play in Houston?

Where do you see him, what's his role?

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 06:25 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Easily top 6. Some Finnish fans I have chatted with compare his wrist shot to Joe Sakic... he also signed a 1.2 per year salary if I'm not mistaken.

Who does this push out of the top 6? Foster?

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Esko6

He is terrible in defence and basically never hits, but in power plays he is very good. In the last international tournament with team Finland he had the most points but also the worst +/-...

Esko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 07:24 PM
YoungJames

Yeah I think he's gonna be a regular in the new NHL. When he's on the ice, his team doesn't have 3 fw's and 2 d's, they have 4 fw's and 1 d.

YoungJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 08:41 PM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
Easily top 6. Some Finnish fans I have chatted with compare his wrist shot to Joe Sakic... he also signed a 1.2 per year salary if I'm not mistaken.

Yup. Foster's going to get much less playing time. His numbers are probably going to be the same as last year, worse if he has a slump. However, he was getting way more minutes than a rookie would get on a good team. Zyuisin and Kuba weren't doing much last season and Foster showed promise plus a really heavy shot, so he got the time those two used to get.

I see the four D positions on the powerplay filled by Johnsson, Skoula, Nummelin and Rolston.

Foster may get some time now and again. However, if he gets hot or one of the aforementioned D-Men get cold, he'll see some time. Isn't it nice to two guys we can consider PP QBs? And four D who are good on the PP. A bounty of riches.

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 04:46 AM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:

Id say thats a bit of a stretch. I have seen him quite a lot of times and while has a good shot, he doesnt have a Sakic-quality type of wrister.

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 06:57 AM
Matsi
got paws?

Quote:

I don't see Foster being pushed out of the top six. Lemaire loves him and he's been arguably the Wild's best defenseman last season. He has lots of potential and you don't want to destroy a young player's confidence by letting him sit even though he's been playing excellent.

Foster seemed more comfortable in Lemaire's system than Schultz and I have a feeling that the latter was in Lemaire's dog house several times during the previous season.

Johnsson might be injured a lot anyway and if not, they will very likely go with seven defenseman most of the time.

I see Foster getting top-four minutes if he can continue his stride...

I guess we will see...

Last edited by Matsi: 08-20-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechoo14whitney View Post
I don't see Foster being pushed out of the top six. Lemaire loves him and he's been arguably the Wild's best defenseman last season. He has lots of potential and you don't want to destroy a young player's confidence by letting him sit even though he's been playing excellent.

Foster seemed more comfortable in Lemaire's system than Schultz and I have a feeling that the latter was in Lemaire's dog house several times during the previous season.

Johnsson might be injured a lot anyway and if not, they will very likely go with seven defenseman most of the time.

I see Foster getting top-four minutes if he can continue his stride...

I guess we will see...
True, Foster was a pleasant surprise last season. When a guy surprises you during the season, i think you would want to see if he can continue his play. If not, well, he'll get used warming the bench up

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Bookman

vCash: 728
On paper, the pecking order might be:

Johnsson
Skoula
Burns
Carney
Schultz (in March form, not November)
Nummelin or Foster

Of course, that is open to debate - if Schultz starts slow this year, he might be the odd man out.

Bookman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 01:54 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

I dont think Skoula will see a whole lot of regular pp time, barring injuries, slumps, etc.

I believe it will be rolston and foster as the triggermen, and johnsson and nummelin as the qbs.

Burns could see some time too.

and to be honest, I think Skoula and his puck poise might end up being the odd man out, whether its ice time or even getting traded.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote