HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Coyotes to host 2005 All-Star Game

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 10:03 AM
rbrooks

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rbrooks Send a message via AIM to rbrooks
Coyotes to host 2005 All-Star Game

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Ottawa...16/259037.html

The Senators would like to host an all-star game here, but commissioner Gary Bettman would like to see a draft in Ottawa first. Next year's draft will be held in Raleigh, N.C., while the 2005 all-star game will be in Phoenix. That means the Senators may have a chance at hosting the 2006 all-star game.

Old
11-16-2003, 02:55 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
That's stupid. I've had about enough of All-Star games in the sun-belt. The NHL might as well just go out and say "Build a new arena and we'll give you an All-Star game!" It's retarded.

Old
11-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre15
That's stupid. I've had about enough of All-Star games in the sun-belt. The NHL might as well just go out and say "Build a new arena and we'll give you an All-Star game!" It's retarded.
I disagree.

Phoenix is one of the few 'new' NHL cities that that has great potential should they ever get a winner. While I can't stand Barnett, I do think you'll see the Yotes in the playoffs every year after this one. They are getting so good, and Nagy is a burdgeoning superstar. I think the All-Star weekend legitimatly grows interest in a team, and perhaps some people in Arizona need to wake up and watch an All-Star game to see what Hockey is all about. I think as soon as the new building is up and the Yotes start hitting post-season berths, you'll see attendance really pick up in Arizona, and hopefully stay up.

The only problem is .. will there be hockey in February of 2005?

Old
11-16-2003, 04:00 PM
devilsfan26

Send a message via AIM to devilsfan26
Quote:
Yea the last time the all-star game was in the New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania area was a decade ago. :mad:

Old
11-16-2003, 04:31 PM
eSabre

It hasn't been in Buffalo since 1978. And it was one of the best games of all-time (It went to OT, with Gil Perreault scoring the game winner in front of the home crowd)

Old
11-16-2003, 04:34 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
No, what's retarted is whining and complaining about the location of the All Star Game. Does it really matter that much to you?

Old
11-16-2003, 04:37 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Considering:
1.) The state of the art building
2.) The growing team
and lastly

3.) Only 4 teams have a larger City than Phoenix.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:08 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
The way I look at it is...if having the all star games in the south is going to bring up the attendance there I`m all for it. I don`t want the next 10 allstar games played in the south but most of us will be watching it on TV so who cares where it`s played anyway???

Old
11-16-2003, 06:36 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
Considering:
2.) The growing team
and lastly

Are you talking actual population in the city limits? because the 5 biggest markets are:

NY
Chicago
LA
DC
Bay Area (San Jose)

Old
11-16-2003, 07:11 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse
The way I look at it is...if having the all star games in the south is going to bring up the attendance there I`m all for it. I don`t want the next 10 allstar games played in the south but most of us will be watching it on TV so who cares where it`s played anyway???
Good point. Obviously just showing games on TV aren't enough to get a lot of people interested in hockey, but if something like the all-star game came to their town they might be interested enough to watch it, go to all the free events, see the cup and other awards and so on, and get hooked from there.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Baron Von Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Are you talking actual population in the city limits? because the 5 biggest markets are:

NY
Chicago
LA
DC
Bay Area (San Jose)
The metro areas of Toronto, Montreal, and Detroit must be larger than the Phoenix metro area too. (Correct me if I'm wrong, this is just off the top of my head.)

Old
11-16-2003, 07:54 PM
Angered Hab

Send a message via AIM to Angered Hab Send a message via Yahoo to Angered Hab
I say Dallas deserves an All Star game and or at least a draft. Heck, we have a new arena, we were selling out every game until Mr. Empty Pants (Tom Hicks) used his "Texas Rangers lost too much money" excuse. The DFW area is a hotbed of hockey these days. Bring it on.

HaB

Old
11-16-2003, 08:11 PM
Oilers Hockey

Thats funny. I read attendance lists in the paper everyday and Dallas doesn't sell out unless its a big game. In Dallas the fad looks like it is nearly over, the fad hit its peak in 2001. And Dallas isn't the only place where hockey is a fad, Carolina drew 13,000 for the Caps, but drew 8,674 a few nights ago.

I wonder how many people will show up for the All Star game in Phoenix, 9,000?

Old
11-17-2003, 05:29 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
I doubt it. Brand new arena, up and coming team, it'll sell out easily.

Phoenixes' attendance numbers have been up and down, but I think having a new arena suited to hockey (and without a ton of obstructed view seats) will help stabilize things.

Old
11-17-2003, 05:32 AM
BigMac1212

Quote:
There will be a full 17,900 at the arena, bud. This will be great. Phoenix is a great city to be in Febuary. It's not too hot. It's not bitterly cold. It's a nice city to be in during the winter months. This arena will be loud and rocking place for the All-Star Game. If you want to see how the arena is going to be check out this website:

http://www.glendalearenaaz.com/

Old
11-17-2003, 06:11 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat

NY
Chicago
LA
DC
Bay Area (San Jose)
Where did you get those numbers? NY, LA, Chicago, Houston, Philly, Phoenix is the top five for actual population in the city limits. Top five in terms of metro area markets (which is the better number because it accounts for suburbs) is NY, LA, Chicago, Philly, Bay Area.

Old
11-17-2003, 06:18 AM
Oilers Hockey

Nice arena. Will you guys ever do the White Out again?

Sorry about the negative post...former Jet's fan here.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:07 AM
BigMac1212

Quote:
Nice arena. Will you guys ever do the White Out again?

Sorry about the negative post...former Jet's fan here.
Don't be sad. I got an idea for getting the Jets back into the NHL. And it involves a little addition.

Hopefully, we will get back to the playoffs. And this time, we will get past the first round.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:08 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac1212
Don't be sad. I got an idea for getting the Jets back into the NHL. And it involves a little addition.

Hopefully, we will get back to the playoffs. And this time, we will get past the first round.
that is the last thing the NHL needs is two more teams

Old
11-17-2003, 10:15 AM
eSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angered Hab
I say Dallas deserves an All Star game and or at least a draft. Heck, we have a new arena, we were selling out every game until Mr. Empty Pants (Tom Hicks) used his "Texas Rangers lost too much money" excuse. The DFW area is a hotbed of hockey these days. Bring it on.

HaB

The NHL gave you a Cup. Why would you need an All-Star game as well?

Old
11-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Angered Hab

Send a message via AIM to Angered Hab Send a message via Yahoo to Angered Hab
Quote:
Thats funny. I read attendance lists in the paper everyday and Dallas doesn't sell out unless its a big game. In Dallas the fad looks like it is nearly over, the fad hit its peak in 2001. And Dallas isn't the only place where hockey is a fad, Carolina drew 13,000 for the Caps, but drew 8,674 a few nights ago.

Hockey is no fad in Dallas sir. You can read what you want in the paper, but what you should do is come to Dallas and see for yourself. Kids all over are playing hockey. It's becoming the "in" thing to do now.
How dare you compare us to Nascar valley in Carolina or basketball city up in the capital. Give me a break.
Yeah, people are starting to stay away from the NHL club because they are losing. Heck, they do that with any team that starts to lose. This town is notorious for that crap.

HaB

Old
11-17-2003, 04:18 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrooks
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Ottawa...16/259037.html

The Senators would like to host an all-star game here, but commissioner Gary Bettman would like to see a draft in Ottawa first. Next year's draft will be held in Raleigh, N.C., while the 2005 all-star game will be in Phoenix. That means the Senators may have a chance at hosting the 2006 all-star game.
They wouldn't have a chance. As you pointed, Bettman wants Ottawa to have a draft first so the first possible time would be 2006. So they may have a chance in 2007 but what are the chances of having a draft one year then the allstar game?

Old
11-17-2003, 07:38 PM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
Considering:
2.) The growing team
and lastly

and 4) I'd say 2 or 3 teams have less supportive fans than pheonix. he may be whining, but he has a point. Why not calgary, edmonton, (minnesota this year right?), or some place that actually cares. i went to some coyote games a few years back and the fans were all right at best, in the middle of the playoff drive. 13000 showed up for a huge oilers matchup. another one, not even half the fans stayed for overtime.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:43 PM
Youreallygotme

actually forget my last post. who would want to go watch hockey in that peice of junk. its a basketball arena. pheonix fans can prove now for once and for all they are true hockey fans, and wont jump off the bandwagon a few months after the new arena is built.

Old
11-18-2003, 04:25 AM
BigMac1212

Dang, I wanted to do an arena for Hartford!

Closed Thread