HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

About Tucker

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

vCash: 500
About Tucker

If other fans say they hate him (which I do) just take it as a compliment. Agitators are doing their job then. I also HATED Varada when he played for Buffalo. I like Webb, even though he isn't at all talented. He is a spare part who draws penalties. I'm fine with his play. Although when he isn't playing for Pittsburgh I'll probably hate him too. The point is guys like Tucker and Varada are guys who even though you hate, you would love to see them on your team.

Old
11-14-2003, 06:09 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66
If other fans say they hate him (which I do) just take it as a compliment. Agitators are doing their job then. I also HATED Varada when he played for Buffalo. I like Webb, even though he isn't at all talented. He is a spare part who draws penalties. I'm fine with his play. Although when he isn't playing for Pittsburgh I'll probably hate him too. The point is guys like Tucker and Varada are guys who even though you hate, you would love to see them on your team.
I dont know about anyone else but i like the classy players who wouldnt take a dive or goad someone into a penalty. Just my opinion but an organization with as much history and class shouldnt have to bear the embaressment that tucker brings (sometimes). He has his upside and that really tears me up. On occassion he acts like an ass though. I just wonder what a guy like Wendel thinks of a tucker? On that note, let it be said he's really toned it down this year and i think you can thank the addition of Neiuwendyk as a positive influence and the deletion of a corson too.

Old
11-14-2003, 06:55 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66
I personally think Webb is a great agitator. One of the best when he wants to be, no doubt. He hits clean and he hits hard.

The issue people have with him is that he doesn't do much of anything else. ' A lack of integrity' perhaps is a way to put it. I can ackoweldge that he' isn't very skilled - that's fine - he isn't a great fighter - fine, whatever. But when your game is ONLY that - hitting and head hunting, and not even attempting to play the game the way it should be - that is where people get upset. Players should stand up for their actions. If they're going to hit - HIT, fine, but stand up for yourself when its your turn.

Tucker is different in the way that he crosses the line at times. People hate him because of the whining and supposed 'cheap shots.' I think thats an entirely different thing from Webb's case. Yes, he has toned it down this year, but I guess he could snap at anytime. Tucker unlike webb, though, stands up for his actions. He's taken his share of doozies and he's given them out just as much. He'll fight if he has to and I get the impression he does whatever it takes to win.

Like I said, I respect Webb as an agitator, but he has to work on the other aspects of his game if he wants to be respected in this league by the players - forget the fans. If you go back a few weeks ago, Nolan's comments tell the whole story. There is no confirmation to this, but I was hearing from an Isles beat writer who was on a local radio station in Toronto that the Isles players were getting tired of Webb's act in Long Island - which contributed to his demise there.

Old
11-14-2003, 09:04 PM
nordique

vCash:
Would you have wanted Ulf Samuelsson on your team?

He sure was a good agitator. Even agitated Domi into coldcocking him into an 8 game suspension.

But I could NEVER have brought myself to cheer for that piece of garbage.

Win with integrity or don't win. If Marchment starts up laying the knees on people, I'll be the first one embarrassed to see him do it in the Blue and White. But until then, he's been a fine citizen as a Maple Leaf.

If your only role in the NHL is to goad people into taking penalties, time to find another job.

Old
11-14-2003, 09:12 PM
TomWaits

Claude Lemieux once said "if I could play like Gretzky I would but I can't so I do what I have to do to stay in the league."

Webb does what he has to do to stay in the league

I do not have issues with players like Webb because they have been around for a long time. My issue with Webb is that he will not drop the gloves. If you are going to tease the bull all night and when the bull fights back don't walk away or turtle - stand up.

I actually enjoy the way Webb plays and the way Tucker plays. The big difference is that Tucker will face the music Webb will not (and Tucker can score Webb cannot)

TomWaits

Old
11-15-2003, 05:11 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Stop putting Tucker in the same group with Webb.

Tucker can ACTUALLY PLAY hockey, and fight as well. Webb can't.

Not the same thing at all.

Old
11-15-2003, 08:58 AM
Rand

I agree up to a point, I don't mind agitators and can easily understand disliking them when they play against you and favoring them when they play for you.

Tucker is an agitator, and he plays extremely dirty at times.
He takes a lot of undisciplined penalties.
I like him, because he does his job very while while offering a solid 3rd line skill set.
Reasonable offensive skills and has put up 40+pts, and 20+ goals, while he's also an above average player defensively.
Indeed, if he could keep his head in the game a bit more, and wasnt quite so volatile he's easily be among my favourite players.

The agitators that I strongly dislike are those like Webb that do nothing -but- agitate. They have no skills at all, can't play defence or offence.
Their on the ice purely to goad the other team into taking undisciplined penalties and knocking around the opposing teams star players.
Occasionally getting in a fight to spark a little fire in an underachieving teams game.

Webb isn't the dirtiest of said players, but he's bad enough.
Quite frankly the Leafs have more then one player of that type on their own team.... such players I have little respect for regardless of whom they play for.

Marchment would be one such player on the Leafs, that is as bad if not considerably worse then Webb.

11-15-2003, 09:01 AM
Rand

Moderator note: This thread has been reasonable enough thus far, but the last few similar threads quickly degraded into little more then personal attacks and one big flame war.

First person to insult another in here is going to see a 3day ban, no iff's ands or but's.

-Rand

Closed Thread