HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

An update on my progress

Old
08-31-2006, 12:51 PM
EmersonBeatemEtem
Watcha gonna do!!!!

vCash: 500
An update on my progress

A little while ago, i posted a thread here on how i was just getting into the sport, getting my skating technique down, etc etc..

I am happy to report that things are going pretty well. I have learned how to do things such as stopping, crossovers, skating backwards (although this is a bit tricky, I am still working on this) The people at the rink have been really helpful and they said that once I get to a certain level with my skating, that they would refer me to the hockey coach.

The problem that I am having however, is that I am getting really anxious and I want to start playing soon. I am a little bit afraid of playing for the first time (being thrown to the lions syndrome) but I'm kind of wondering what it will be like to play for the first time. What are some of the experience ya'll have had? I hope to be ready at least by january of next year, if not sooner. What does everyone here think

EmersonBeatemEtem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 01:08 PM
stick9

When you first start out, leave the Malkin jersey at home.

This was in high school. I was sent out because this kid went to the bathroom during the game and when he came back the coach could tell he went and had a cigarette. Anyway, the play heads up ice and the bench is screaming "SKATE, SKATE". So I chug it out and look for the pass. Well I ended up being off sides. The coach motioned to change up and that was it.

I was nervous as hell playing my first game in an adult league. I hadn't played in a league type game since high school. I don't remember any of it.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Nbr-17

Well for me the one thing that struck me the most when I started playing, was how much more difficult it is to play hockey than to watch it. Skating is one thing, stickhandling another, shooting another and then seeing the ice/game, once thrown all together...oh boy.
IMHO Ice Hockey is one of the, if not 'the', most difficult sport to play.
I've played sports for all of my life.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 01:57 PM
DGraf

Starting down the same road myself this fall. Thinking about the first shift gets my heart going too.

DGraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Gino 14

Just remember, it's really not a matter of you getting hurt, it's a matter of you hurting someone else. You need to make sure you know how to stop, and do it quickly. One of the biggest dangers in playing is getting a new guy on the ice that can't stop and ends up taking out another players knees. Other than that, it will come to you.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 03:17 PM
DGraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Just remember, it's really not a matter of you getting hurt, it's a matter of you hurting someone else. You need to make sure you know how to stop, and do it quickly. One of the biggest dangers in playing is getting a new guy on the ice that can't stop and ends up taking out another players knees. Other than that, it will come to you.
Oh, never really thought of that. Was mostly concerned with hurting myself. Good point on that.

I play other competitive sports and never really get too nervous but thinking about playing in a competitive league for the first time gets butterflys going in my stomach.

The best way to lose them would be to practice hard, in the other sports I play it greatly helps with confidence. Hoping it will apply to hockey aswell. My outlook is really concentrating on skating and hockey skating technique before diving in. Even if you aren't that great with the puck, in lower leagues skating makes the difference from what I've heard.

The first time I get on the ice in a game situation AND get the puck I am going to pass it right away, hey, you can't make too many costly mistakes without the puck if you play a clean game right?

DGraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 04:00 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Unfortunately for the South Floridian, the rinks don't feeze down there but for us Canadians, the winter is a fantastic time to improve, for free.

KariyaIsGod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Just go out and do your best.

I started a year and a half ago and go thrown in. I SHOULD have played beginners, but because of where I was living they had a tier 2 that I knew of.
The girls were so much help and I worked my *** off to get to be as good as they were. Sure I made my fair share of mistakes, but everyone does.

I went from being the fourth line LW and would usually get about 8 or 9 minutes a game to the next year top line LW and now am trying out for an NWHL team.

Am I the best?

No. God no.

I had to work twice as hard to be half as good as the other girls. I still do. I spend about 8 hours a week on the ice and about the same in the gym.

Go out, have fun and be a constant student.

Oh, and the best advice I ever got from my coach. "Keep your head up, keep your stick down, keep your feet moving and keep having fun."

Take that onto the ice with you and you'll be fine.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 08:03 PM
sc37

vCash: 713
I'd say just go for it. Maybe head out to a drop-in or something or at least a stick and puck. If your really nervous, try and go to a lunchtime session, fewer people are there.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote