HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game-Day Thread: Oilers vs. Flames

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2003, 09:06 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
K.lo HAS to do something with Comrie. I mean, either get him back in or trade him. This team isn't winning faceoffs, abd their PP is putrid. Cgy is inept of offense but at least they can setup in the zone. The Oilers can even do that.
Maybe Comrie would help the powerplay... but faceoffs? Isn't the guy about 40% for his career on draws? Didn't he usually have Carter take draws for him?

Old
11-15-2003, 09:07 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
No he isn't. He's terrible. I can't believe cbc would hire such a poor announcer.

Yuck.
Gotta' agree with you on this one. Those two were so bad I just turned the sound down. Morley, Rod's color guy, on 630 CHED, does way better color and play-by-play than either of those two deadbeats. CBC HNIC is really going down hill.:p

Old
11-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
I'm going to say a 2-1 OT win for the Oil. Winner from Torres, Chimera will bang home the first for the Oil while Iggy will most likely be the goal scorer for Calgary.
Well, pretty close to being bang on

Old
11-15-2003, 09:13 PM
zamboni

Just be patient. Cuthbert should be back when CFL Football is over. he better be calling the Heritage Classic.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:13 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Maybe Comrie would help the powerplay... but faceoffs? Isn't the guy about 40% for his career on draws? Didn't he usually have Carter take draws for him?
Hey the OIlers will win more games if them get their PP going than if they win a few more faceoffs. I am aware of Comrie's lack of faceoff skills. But the Oilers have an asset they need to cash in. The fact that the team is over .500 means they are dealing from a position of strenght sort of. Why not use it to address one of these two glaring problems.

On a side note, I think the PK tonight was great. Although the Lames were setting up, the Oilers were pressuring them big time. Good to see.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:15 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Gotta' agree with you on this one. Those two were so bad I just turned the sound down. Morley, Rod's color guy, on 630 CHED, does way better color and play-by-play than either of those two deadbeats. CBC HNIC is really going down hill.:p
You should hear Dean Brown call a sens game. Didn't really notice tonight if he was bad or not. Cuthberg is great but he does OIler games alot. Listenning to Dean Brown call an Oiler game is like listen to Bob Cole and Harry Neale call a Senators game.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:16 PM
zamboni

Is anyone else worried about CBC broadcasting next week's game on HDTV? I don't want that stupid widescreen format for the biggest event of the season.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:19 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
You should hear Deam Brown call a sens game. Didn't really notice tonight if he was bad or not. Cuthberg is great but he doesn OIler games alot. Its like listen to Bob Cole and Harry Neale call a Senators game.
I thought Brown sounded pretty exciting on the scrambles etc. Like after the Flames scored and then were storming the Oilers real hard.

He has his own style. I've heard worse.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:21 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Hey the OIlers will win more games if them get their PP going than if they win a few more faceoffs. I am aware of Comrie's lack of faceoff skills. But the Oilers have an asset they need to cash in. The fact that the team is over .500 means they are dealing from a position of strenght sort of. Why not use it to address one of these two glaring problems.

On a side note, I think the PK tonight was great. Although the Lames were setting up, the Oilers were pressuring them big time. Good to see.
I'm just sick of hearing people blah-blah about the Oilers needing to do something with Comrie because of blah-blah. If the right move was out there, Lowe would make it. Since it hasn't, what does that tell you?

The team is over .500, which means nothing happening on the ice is hurting the team so bad that Lowe needs to rush into something dumb.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:22 PM
kruezer

Not too special a game by Calgary here, I really didn't like the defensive zone coverage much. I'm glad we got the one point though, cause Ference sure did his best to lose that for us. And Donovan shoulda played the man on Smyth.

The Calgary is making some nice offensive plays, but could use more crashing the net, Conklin was great for sure, but I think they mighta gotten to him more infront of the net. I guess I can't really complain, pretty even game overall. The Flames PP needs to return to how it was doing earlier this year. There PK also does way better when they pressure the puck. They were far to passive the first Oiler PP, but then played the rest of them well.

Overall I think the Flames and Oilers shoulda just declined all penalties tonight.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:23 PM
Hairball

Quote:
You should hear Dean Brown call a sens game. Didn't really notice tonight if he was bad or not. Cuthberg is great but he does OIler games alot. Listenning to Dean Brown call an Oiler game is like listen to Bob Cole and Harry Neale call a Senators game.

LOL. You gotta take your boxing gloves off man!

Old
11-15-2003, 09:25 PM
Hairball

There was no comments regarding Brewer knocking Conks' stick on that goal against. He gets another SO without that.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:27 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
I'm just sick of hearing people blah-blah about the Oilers needing to do something with Comrie because of blah-blah. If the right move was out there, Lowe would make it. Since it hasn't, what does that tell you?

The team is over .500, which means nothing happening on the ice is hurting the team so bad that Lowe needs to rush into something dumb.
You don't think Lowe has had good offers in the last few weeks? He's not going to fleece any GMs out there. He would have already. Don't get me wrong, I've always been behind Lowe 100% but the Oilers were lucky to win tonight. And they are ONE game over .500. Lets not get too excited. Special teams are a huge part of whether a team is successful or not. Every time the Oilers lose a faceoff in their zone, there's a potential scoring chance. The Flames were winning the faceoff clearly tonight.

All I saying is that Lowe needs to use Comrie to address one or both of these issues.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:28 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Hemsky is now zero shots in 7 consecutive games.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:29 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball
LOL. You gotta take your boxing gloves off man!

Can can't believe I wasting my time defending a broadcaster.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Not too special a game by Calgary here, I really didn't like the defensive zone coverage much. I'm glad we got the one point though, cause Ference sure did his best to lose that for us. And Donovan shoulda played the man on Smyth.

The Calgary is making some nice offensive plays, but could use more crashing the net, Conklin was great for sure, but I think they mighta gotten to him more infront of the net. I guess I can't really complain, pretty even game overall. The Flames PP needs to return to how it was doing earlier this year. There PK also does way better when they pressure the puck. They were far to passive the first Oiler PP, but then played the rest of them well.

Overall I think the Flames and Oilers shoulda just declined all penalties tonight.
Man, Iginla is strong. He's friggin impossible to take down. I must be frustrating for him. A number of times he was by himslef but the puck never came to him.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:34 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
You don't think Lowe has had good offers in the last few weeks? He's not going to fleece any GMs out there. He would have already. Don't get me wrong, I've always been behind Lowe 100% but the Oilers were lucky to win tonight. And they are ONE game over .500. Lets not get too excited. Special teams are a huge part of whether a team is successful or not. Every time the Oilers lose a faceoff in their zone, there's a potential scoring chance. The Flames were winning the faceoff clearly tonight.

All I saying is that Lowe needs to use Comrie to address one or both of these issues.
That's not necessarily true. I believe that Kevin Prendergast himself said this week that the Oilers are looking at ways of acquiring a center *without* dealing Mike Comrie.

The Oilers are one game over .500... nothing to get excited about, but *certainly* nothing to panic over. The return Lowe gets in this deal could make or break his career as a GM and affect this team for years to come. I don't want him to rush into it- do you?

Old
11-15-2003, 09:36 PM
Digger12

Quote:

Lol, no offense man but that Ference shift was BAD. I imagine when he got back to the bench the boys weren't exactly thrilled.

My thoughts?

Both teams looked tired, but Calgary had a bit more in the tank. Personally I think the Oilers were a bit fortunate tonight, they were running on fumes in the 3rd. Iginla looks distracted.

Betts kicked ass in the faceoff dot.

Laraque had one of his best games of the year IMO, in the sense that he finally decided to HIT PEOPLE.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:40 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
That's not necessarily true. I believe that Kevin Prendergast himself said this week that the Oilers are looking at ways of acquiring a center *without* dealing Mike Comrie.

The Oilers are one game over .500... nothing to get excited about, but *certainly* nothing to panic over. The return Lowe gets in this deal could make or break his career as a GM and affect this team for years to come. I don't want him to rush into it- do you?
My first choice is that they keep Comrie. One proposal had the Oilers dealing Horcoff for Perreault.

There is not alot of room to move in the western conference. A sad sack PP could be the difference between 6 and 7th spot or 9 or 10th spot.

As far as a Comrie deal making or breaking Lowe's career, I would go that far. As far as rushing, well I wouldn't call a trade at this point rushing it. It's mid-November. Dealing Comrie in training camp or October probably would have been rushing it, but not now. Lowe's smart enough to know now what he can get Comrie.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:46 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Lol, no offense man but that Ference shift was BAD. I imagine when he got back to the bench the boys weren't exactly thrilled.

My thoughts?

Both teams looked tired, but Calgary had a bit more in the tank. Personally I think the Oilers were a bit fortunate tonight, they were running on fumes in the 3rd. Iginla looks distracted.

Betts kicked ass in the faceoff dot.

Laraque had one of his best games of the year IMO, in the sense that he finally decided to HIT PEOPLE.
For sure, great game by Laraque, I agree there.

They must have been tired I think, because this game wasn't quite like the others, they were running on empty it seemed.

Defenitely a great game by Conkling, Brewer has improved alot since earlier in the year. I thought Ference was having a pretty good game too, then that last shift he twice stalled our PP then gave it away for a chance at the game winner. I thought McLennan played pretty good, anyone got the shot totals? Betts had one of his better games this year, more noticeable games anyway his game is pretty quiet, Saprykin deserves more ice after this game I thought, he played well. Lombardi was good again. Kobasew played better than Reinprecht and Conroy IMO and deserved more ice. I think the Oilers really need to just put shots on net, I agree there Dr. VN, they just look for the pretty play instead of just shooting and scoring sometimes. Hemsky was not up to much this game. Moreau-Smyth-Pisani played very well. Dvorak-Torres and York were flying. And Stoll's line with Laraque was good, so it was a solid effort by the Oiler forwards for sure.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:54 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Just my two cents on the game:
Conklin played good - made everysave he needed to - and it looked like on the goal that he let in five hole that Brewer's foot, while skating across the crease, caught Conks stick and that's why it was open.

The powerplay is still disgustingly bad. We can't enter he zone and get good puck position with any regularity and that is half of our problem. The other half isn't how many passes there are, but the time it takes to make them.

Brewer looked good again. Was good in his own end and was creating chances. Was our best defensmen and looks to be finaly getting comfertable with his promoted status as what should be our #1 Dman.

Dvorak looked good out there and played good. How ever you can tell that he's a guy who's been snake biten this year so far from that blown 3-1.

Also, that standing "O" for Rod P. was great - you could tell he was touched. He deserved it!

I'm probably missing lots, but those are some of the things that stood out to me.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:59 PM
Digger12

You know which play I liked the best out of Conklin all night?

The play where he shot the puck down the ice himself on the PK, with authority. No wimpy backhand off the score clock, a nice solid wrister...Brodueresque, if you will.

When a goalie does that, you know he's feeling good about himself.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:04 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Defenitely a great game by Conkling, ...
Yea only 33 saves on 34 shoots. Chosen number 1 Star of the game two games in a row. I'd say Ty our #1 guy until and only if he plays poorly!

Old
11-15-2003, 10:05 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
You know which play I liked the best out of Conklin all night?

The play where he shot the puck down the ice himself on the PK, with authority. No wimpy backhand off the score clock, a nice solid wrister...Brodueresque, if you will.

When a goalie does that, you know he's feeling good about himself.
Definetly, one of the smartest plays tonight.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:06 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Yea only 33 saves on 34 shoots. Chosen number 1 Star of the game two games in a row. I'd say Ty our #1 guy until and only if he plays poorly!
For sure, what was the shot count tonight?

Closed Thread