HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Atlantic division

Old
08-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Flyers_01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
As was mentioned earlier in this thread, Prucha is back, Rucinsky and Sykora are not.

Say what you want but the Rangers upgraded three of the top six forward spots offensively.

They're replacing Rucinsky (16-39, 55) with Brendan Shanahan (40-41, 81).
They're replacing Rucchin (13-23, 36) with Matt Cullen (25-24, 49).
They're replacing Sykora (23-28, 51) with Petr Prucha (30-17, 47).

So that there is replacing 142 poitns with 177 points. Even assuming that Shanahan doesn't duplicate those numbers (although he could) the Rangers made some pretty shrewd moves to add depth to their scoring.
Rucinsky played approx 25 less games than Shanahan and had a better PPG average so Shanahan is actually a downgrade based on PPG based on last years numbers. Also keep in mind that in Rucinsky and Rucchin they lost guys who liked to pass the puck to the guys who liked to shoot alot.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 09:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers_01 View Post
Rucinsky played approx 25 less games than Shanahan and had a better PPG average so Shanahan is actually a downgrade based on PPG based on last years numbers. Also keep in mind that in Rucinsky and Rucchin they lost guys who liked to pass the puck to the guys who liked to shoot alot.
If Rucinsky can't stay healthy, he's hardly productive. And the next time Rucchin is considered a player who likes to pass the puck will be the first. The guy is basically a marginal two-way, third line player.

08-27-2006, 09:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
how do you figure Prucha is replacing Sykora when Prucha and Sykora were both on the team last year?
Simple, Prucha played on the third line when Sykora played on the second line. Prucha will be playing with better players and playing more minutes.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Yeah it is kinda bold especially the part where you suggest that the Flyers have four scoring lines, you guys don't have four scoring lines - no one in the division does for that matter - so that pretty much makes your logic that the Devils will get crushed by the Flyers because they can't hold off four Flyers scoring lines illogical.
Well considering Devils 4th line is Marshall-Rupp-Tallackson. I can say that Flyers have 4 lines don't you agree?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 01:57 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Well considering Devils 4th line is Marshall-Rupp-Tallackson. I can say that Flyers have 4 lines don't you agree?
Yeah you guys have four lines, but what you don't have is four scoring lines and four lines we can't stop as you have suggested.

Also it's not written who our 4th line is, but I'm sure it will include Janssen and Rasmussen at times as well. Rupp is not a given as is Tallackson, there will be a stiff competition for this line.

08-27-2006, 02:01 PM
dupont08

Quote:
Yeah you guys have four lines, but what you don't have is four scoring lines and four lines we can't stop as you have suggested.

Also it's not written who our 4th line is, but I'm sure it will include Janssen and Rasmussen at times as well. Rupp is not a given as is Tallackson, there will be a stiff competition for this line.

Problem with Philly is their defense is terrible. Buffalo totally exposed the lack of speed Philly has on defense. Up front Carter should become a star this year. Plenty of good forwards, nothing on defense other than Pitkanen and Gauthier that strikes fear into other teams forwards.

dupont08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont08 View Post
Problem with Philly is their defense is terrible. Buffalo totally exposed the lack of speed Philly has on defense. Up front Carter should become a star this year. Plenty of good forwards, nothing on defense other than Pitkanen and Gauthier that strikes fear into other teams forwards.
Flyers defense is FAR from terrible, they are a little slow but not terrible at all.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 03:11 PM
dupont08

I think I'll lose sleep knowing a Devils fan doesn't agree with a fact pointed out to him.

dupont08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
I think I'll lose sleep knowing a Devils fan doesn't agree with a fact pointed out to him.
How is that a fact?

Old
08-27-2006, 03:19 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
he isnt just a "devils fan" he's a fairly unbiassed and very respected poster, unlike yourself.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Simple, Prucha played on the third line when Sykora played on the second line. Prucha will be playing with better players and playing more minutes.
sounds like some "fuzzy math" to me...

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 07:23 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Yeah it is kinda bold especially the part where you suggest that the Flyers have four scoring lines, you guys don't have four scoring lines - no one in the division does for that matter - so that pretty much makes your logic that the Devils will get crushed by the Flyers because they can't hold off four Flyers scoring lines illogical.
We may not have 'four scoring lines,' but we do have four lines that can score-there is a difference.

Last edited by flyersfan97: 08-27-2006 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typo
flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
that doesn't really work in terms of "replacing" a player... you're simply expecting more from a player that was already on the roster... now you have to replace the production from the third line (which is a huge boost to a team) that you've removed from the team with that logic.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 07:26 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:

Devils may have to deal a player in order to get Gionta and Martin under contract.

I am not sure but isn't Rasmussen a UFA? Tallackson? Well he may or may not play good defense I do not think he can score, I mean he scored 14 goals in weak AHL last year, Janssen will be lucky to score 2 goals in NHL. Rupp, well he was a Flyers killer back when he played in NJ but ever since he was traded he did nothing. Kapanen Robi Dimitrakos this line can give a little over 30 goals and good on face off with a lot of speed I am not going to say that 4th line will give us 120 points but each and every players on that line is capable scoring 25 points. I think on paper Flyers look better.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 08-28-2006 at 07:40 AM.
Old
08-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Devils may have to deal a player in order to get Gionta and Martin under contract.

I am not sure but isn't Rasmussen a UFA? Tallackson? Well he may or may not play good defense I do not think he can score, I mean he scored 14 goals in weak AHL last year, Janssen will be lucky to score 2 goals in NHL. Rupp, well he was a Flyers killer back when he played in NJ but ever since he was traded he did nothing. Kapanen Robi Dimitrakos this line can give a little over 30 goals and good on face off with a lot of speed I am not going to say that 4th line will give us 120 points but each and every players on that line is capable scoring 25 points. I think on paper Flyers look better.

That's not what you said, you said that the Flyers would smoke the Devils in winning six games of the eight because the Devils won't be able to stop the Flyers because you guys have four scoring lines that the Devils won't be handle which is nonsense, you guys don't have four scoring lines or the very least four scoring lines that the Devils can't handle.

Your bottom lines might be decent and they very well might be better than what the Devils have but no way are they that good to dominate the Devils, not on paper.

You can try to deviate this conversation to who has the better bottom lines but that's not we are talking about here, it's what you said earlier is the discussion.

Old
08-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
That's not what you said, you said that the Flyers would smoke the Devils in winning six games of the eight because the Devils won't be able to stop the Flyers because you guys have four scoring lines that the Devils won't be handle which is nonsense, you guys don't have four scoring lines or the very least four scoring lines that the Devils can't handle.

Your bottom lines might be decent and they very well might be better than what the Devils have but no way are they that good to dominate the Devils, not on paper.

You can try to deviate this conversation to who has the better bottom lines but that's not we are talking about here, it's what you said earlier is the discussion.
If healthy? Ok, it is almost impossible but if the Flyers have less injuries then last year, lets say 200 instead of 400 (or close to 400 which ever the number was) I do not see why we can not win 6 out of 8 games against the Devils. IMO Devils will lose at least one roster player and at this point already Devils have two injuries to both Matvichuk (will miss 40 games) and Wiemer(about the same). I am not sold on Hale and NJ will probably have to promote someone from AHL.
P.S Of course I did not mean that we have 4 lines of Forsberg Gagnes and Knubles, our 4th line Kapanen Robi and Dimitrakos can and will score goals I do expect this team to score over 300 goals.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 08-28-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old
08-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
If healthy? Ok, it is almost impossible but if the Flyers have less injuries then last year, lets say 200 instead of 400 (or close to 400 which ever the number was) I do not see why we can not win 6 out of 8 games against the Devils. IMO Devils will lose at least one roster player and at this point already Devils have two injuries to both Matvichuk (will miss 40 games) and Wiemer(about the same). I am not sold on Hale and NJ will probably have to promote someone from AHL.
P.S Of course I did not mean that we have 4 lines of Forsberg Gagnes and Knubles, our 4th line Kapanen Robi and Dimitrakos can and will score goals I do expect this team to score over 300 goals.
It's one thing to say you can win 6 out of 8, it's a whole another to say on paper your team is that much than the Devils.

As far as the Flyers scoring 300 goals the only way that can happen is if you guys have a healthy Forsberg for the whole year and then even then that will be hard to do. And I also think you are putting to much stock on the offensive abilities of your fourth line - don't get me wrong they are a decent bunch but goal scorers they are not, the only one who has had any kind of history of being a goal scorer is Kapanen and he hasn't exactly torn it up the last few years.

Old
08-28-2006, 11:34 AM
BringBackStevens

our 4th line will probably NOT be a goal scoring line. a more accurate statement would be that we have 3 very very lethal lines potentially. the 4th line will obviously fill a role and chip in offensively but no way is kapanen robitaille dimitrakos a threat, if thats indeed our 4th line

Old
08-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Only going by the lines used in this thread, I noticed the Flyers really don't have a shut-down line. That can become a problem as the season goes along. However, I can see Richards taking over that role.

Philadelphia Flyers
Projected Lineup
Gagne - Forsberg - Knuble
Calder - Richards - Carter
Umberger - Nedved - Sanderson
Dimitrakos - Robitaille - Kapanen

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 12:55 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Only going by the lines used in this thread, I noticed the Flyers really don't have a shut-down line. That can become a problem as the season goes along. However, I can see Richards taking over that role.

Philadelphia Flyers
Projected Lineup
You got it. The kids gonna be like Brindy--a scorer who can shut down opponents lines as well.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 01:05 PM
BringBackStevens

in my opinion the role of a shutdown line is diminishing and not a necesity in the NHL anymore. just look at buffalo

Old
08-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post

Philadelphia Flyers
Projected Lineup
Do you need a shut down line? Forsberg line against Gomez line and so on.

Old
08-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Bojakees*

Quote:
As was mentioned earlier in this thread, Prucha is back, Rucinsky and Sykora are not.

Say what you want but the Rangers upgraded three of the top six forward spots offensively.

So that there is replacing 142 poitns with 177 points. Even assuming that Shanahan doesn't duplicate those numbers (although he could) the Rangers made some pretty shrewd moves to add depth to their scoring.

Bojakees* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Bojakees*

[QUOTE=SingnBluesOnBroadway;6365110]As was mentioned earlier in this thread, Prucha is back, Rucinsky and Sykora are not.

LOL, This is so dumb....OK...Then who are they replacing Prucha with ?...I mean they replaced the first two guys who left with new guys...How can they replace someone who left, with someone they already had ???

Bojakees* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Do you need a shut down line? Forsberg line against Gomez line and so on.

Against the Devils it's Madden and Pandolfo Vs. the Forsberg's line. Maybe Flyer fans aren't concerned about a shut-down line. However, I feel comfortable as a Devils fan having the opition of throwing out those guys. I watched Jagar drive the Flyers crazy last season. Against the Devils, Madden and especially Pandolofo gave him fits.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote