HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Chris Chelios..

Old
08-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

vCash: 500
Chris Chelios..

Does he get into the HOF on his first try? That is, if he ever retires.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 06:39 PM
barfy2000

Quite, quite easily a 1st ballot HOFer

barfy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Lowetide

He gets in without a throw. Qualifies in terms of peak and career value.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 07:35 PM
revolverjgw

Oh God yes.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 08:04 PM
God Bless Canada

He may be a jerk, he may not be the most likable guy in NHL history, but he's a bonafide first-ballot HHOFer. IMO, one of the top 10 defencemen ever. Three Norris Trophies. Five-time first-team all-star. Two-time second-team all-star. One of the top 50 players ever. Two Stanley Cups.

Larry Murphy got in on the first ballot. Unless it's an incredibly deep first ballot, Chelios will get in.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
He may be a jerk, he may not be the most likable guy in NHL history, but he's a bonafide first-ballot HHOFer. IMO, one of the top 10 defencemen ever. Three Norris Trophies. Five-time first-team all-star. Two-time second-team all-star. One of the top 50 players ever. Two Stanley Cups.

Larry Murphy got in on the first ballot. Unless it's an incredibly deep first ballot, Chelios will get in.
I'd say it's unlikely a ballot could be put together without Chelios in the top 4, regardless of when he retires. Dominik Hasek is the only active player who I'd rate as clearly better all-time than Chelios. Lidstrom, Jagr, Sakic, and a few others are debatable.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Nifty=HHOF

I can't see a valid arguement against him being a first ballot HOF'r

Nifty=HHOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 09:17 PM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I'd say it's unlikely a ballot could be put together without Chelios in the top 4, regardless of when he retires. Dominik Hasek is the only active player who I'd rate as clearly better all-time than Chelios. Lidstrom, Jagr, Sakic, and a few others are debatable.
Chelios better than Jagr? I saw Chelios play a lot in Montreal and he was a big star but not a superstar. Off ice activities got him traded at this peak. He was reputedly hammered at the 86 parade and the 90 (?) incident where he was caught by Burns breaking curfew during the playoffs with Corson etc (Someone will remember better than me).

Chelios is not on Choochs top 20 list since 1971. Jagr is in the top 5.

chooch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post
Chelios better than Jagr? I saw Chelios play a lot in Montreal and he was a big star but not a superstar. Off ice activities got him traded at this peak. He was reputedly hammered at the 86 parade and the 90 (?) incident where he was caught by Burns breaking curfew during the playoffs with Corson etc (Someone will remember better than me).

No alcohol/ drug accusations at hockeys future iirc

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by barfy2000 View Post
Quite, quite easily a 1st ballot HOFer
Agreed. This one is easy. Without question.

Trottier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Agreed. This one is easy. Without question.
I find the man intolerably rude and abrasive but can't find any arument against him either. Terrifc defenceman regardless of his likability.

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
your kidding right? i respect your opinion but chelios has done a lot more then hasek did over a lot longer span too mind you...

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 10:51 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
your kidding right? i respect your opinion but chelios has done a lot more then hasek did over a lot longer span too mind you...
Chelios has tenure but he hasn't accomplished more than Hasek. Not even close.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 07:20 AM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Chelios has tenure but he hasn't accomplished more than Hasek. Not even close.
Agreed with that. Unless Chelios wins atleast 1 Hart trophy, there is no comparison.

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 07:44 AM
SGY19

Chelios is a definite lock for the HOF. He'll get in on the first ballot. He's in that definite lock group with players like Messier, Hull, Francis, Robitaille, Hasek, Stevens, Lidstrom, Sakic, Jagr, and Larionov.

SGY19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post

I always thought it was because of a bum knee. I remember the Habs saying that it was so bad that he would have a hard time skating backwards for the rest of his career. Was he that poorly thought of in Montreal?

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19 View Post
Chelios is a definite lock for the HOF. He'll get in on the first ballot. He's in that definite lock group with players like Messier, Hull, Francis, Robitaille, Hasek, Stevens, Lidstrom, Sakic, Jagr, and Larionov.
I disagree, not to knock him, he is a sensational player but those guys seem to just be on a higher level than him. Maybe I havent seen him play all that much but those guys just seem to be I guess leaders, and I dont equate Chelios to a leader. He will definitly get in, there is no question, but I think it all depends on who is a canidate, because if its any of those guys I dont see him getting in first round. Just my opinion.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I always thought it was because of a bum knee. I remember the Habs saying that it was so bad that he would have a hard time skating backwards for the rest of his career. Was he that poorly thought of in Montreal?
As with any good player to wear the bleu-blanc-rouge the fans have been split on the guy. There were some who liked his toughness as well as his ability to move the puck up the ice and he had a good shot. Early in his career he reminded many of a young Larry Robinson. Others thought he was a bum and should be shipped on the next bus or thrown under it. Not entirely coincidentally he was an American-born english speaking player, so no doubt the French media felt he was the antichrist incarnate. In the entire history of the team there are something like a dozen players the fans ALL love. Otherwise you get splits of opinion on every single player who ever donned the silks. I wouldn't read too much into whether or not the fans liked him.

Management and players never seemed to have a problem with him, he played hard, he played hurt, he stood up for his teammates; basically all the things he's become known for. First ballot? Absolutely.

Malefic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 10:58 AM
mcphee

When I hear rumours about off ice stuff, I listen,feel cool because I heard inside info., but don't always believe it. That being said, Chelios' off ice rep got him traded.No question whatsoever. I could violate board rules and relate 5 or 6 stories but too much is gossip, and it affects other people's reps.

I don't recall Chelios the player being criticized much. He was a consistent, tremendous defenseman. One of those guys who you get used to and realize after he was gone how good he was.

I don't think the media was tough on him. The media may have been gagged over certain incidents, and there was a lot of silence when he left. I'd take him on my team anyday, but he wouldn't get near my house.

Easily a 1st ballot hof'er though.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
I disagree, not to knock him, he is a sensational player but those guys seem to just be on a higher level than him. Maybe I havent seen him play all that much but those guys just seem to be I guess leaders, and I dont equate Chelios to a leader. He will definitly get in, there is no question, but I think it all depends on who is a canidate, because if its any of those guys I dont see him getting in first round. Just my opinion.
Chelios is a better all-time player than at least Stevens and Robataille from that list (arguably better than several of the other forwards too), and on any all-time best defensemen list of any value, he and Lidstrom will be right around the same spot. Chelios not a leader? That's a joke if I've ever heard one.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Other than Robinson and Potvin, I have never seen a defenseman excell in every area of the game like Chelios did. Easily a HOF.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
Others thought he was a bum and should be shipped on the next bus or thrown under it. Not entirely coincidentally he was an American-born english speaking player, so no doubt the French media felt he was the antichrist incarnate.
Was this also the case with Rod Langway?

As for Chelly, there should be no doubt. His contributions to Team USA should not be overlooked. For those who want to include him in the grossly-overpublicized Nagano room-trashing incident, he did write a check out of his own pocket to cover the damages. Whether or not he was directly involved is immaterial. It demonstrated leadership.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
He's in for sure.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 01:34 PM
hfgreg
Obviously...

I'd have to say yes. Unless the ballot is filled with other players more deserving it'll be on his first.

hfgreg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 02:08 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
Was this also the case with Rod Langway?

As for Chelly, there should be no doubt. His contributions to Team USA should not be overlooked. For those who want to include him in the grossly-overpublicized Nagano room-trashing incident, he did write a check out of his own pocket to cover the damages. Whether or not he was directly involved is immaterial. It demonstrated leadership.
I never remember a negative word about Langway. He wanted to move back to the US for personal reasons. He wasn't the Langway in Mtl that he became in washington, but he got no fan or media abuse. I still maintain that Chelly got little on ice criticism as well.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote