HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karjala Cup: Leaf prospects!

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2003, 10:33 AM
leafaholix*

vCash: 500
Karjala Cup: Leaf prospects!

Russia: Vladimir Antipov
Sweden: Alexander Steen
Finland: Jarkko Immonen

Schedule
Nov. 6, 2003 - Sweden vs. Czech Republic (1:00 PM, EST)
Nov. 6, 2003 - Finland vs. Russia (12:30 PM, EST)

Nov. 8, 2003 - Russia vs. Sweden (9:00 AM, EST)
Nov. 8, 2003 - Czech Republic vs. Finland (7:00 AM, EST)
Nov. 9, 2003 - Russia vs. Czech Republic (6:30 AM, EST)
Nov. 9, 2003 - Finland vs. Sweden (12:00 PM, EST)

Stats/Scores: http://stats.swehockey.se/
| DIVISIONS | NATIONAL TEAM | 2003/2004 | KARJALA TOURNAMENT |

Old
11-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Douggy

Okay Mods, do your thing and Stickify!!

Old
11-02-2003, 06:16 PM
A.J. ¹

I don't think Antipov is Leafs property anymore.

Old
11-03-2003, 12:13 PM
miklu

The official Karjala tournament site can be found here:

http://www.finhockey.fi/maajoukkueet...10_11_2003_he/

Finnish vocabulary:

joukkue = team
ottelu = match
piste = point
maali = goal
syöttö = pass
rangaistus = penalty
maalivahti = goaltender

P.S. The Swehockey site didn't seen to work. I'd hope you get the same info faster from this official site.

Old
11-03-2003, 02:18 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMC
Not sure, but the Russian site always lists him as a Leaf prospect.

With a young child and no wife now I doubt he's be leaving his family to move over the pond now.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
11-03-2003, 03:06 PM
Douggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMC
If we drafted him, his rights will allways be ours, assuming we don't trade them away.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:38 PM
RiellyGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Not sure, but the Russian site always lists him as a Leaf prospect.

With a young child and no wife now I doubt he's be leaving his family to move over the pond now.
ummmm....I hate to bring up this question but didn't he loose his wife and child in a car accident last year?

Old
11-03-2003, 06:06 PM
leafaholix*

I think he lost his wife only.

Hopefully he does well in life, it must be absolutely devistating to go through that.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:53 PM
A.J. ¹

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
If we drafted him, his rights will allways be ours, assuming we don't trade them away.

Nope. If the Leafs released him, he would become an UFA, which I believe he is, and has been for the last 3 years or so. Same thing as Mikael Hakansson{sp} from a few years ago.

Old
11-03-2003, 10:50 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMC
Nope. If the Leafs released him, he would become an UFA, which I believe he is, and has been for the last 3 years or so. Same thing as Mikael Hakansson{sp} from a few years ago.

http://www.russianprospects.com/profile.php

Old
11-04-2003, 08:32 AM
A.J. ¹

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger

What does that link have to do with Antipov?

Vladimir Antipov, Vladimir Kulkov, Vadim Sozinov, Sergei Rostov & Dmitri Yakushin are no longer Leafs property. They were all released from what I remember, except Sozinov, who was not signed and went back into the draft, and went undrafted.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:03 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMC
What does that link have to do with Antipov?

Vladimir Antipov, Vladimir Kulkov, Vadim Sozinov, Sergei Rostov & Dmitri Yakushin are no longer Leafs property. They were all released from what I remember, except Sozinov, who was not signed and went back into the draft, and went undrafted.
I could be wrong about this....

But how could guys like Kulkov, Sozinov and Rostov be released? If I'm not mistaken they were never signed by Toronto in the first place.

I always thought guys like that are not technically Leafs 'property' because they're not under contract with them right now.

However the Leafs still own their NHL rights. Therefore in order to sign an NHL contract, they'd either have to sign with Toronto or the Leafs would have to trade their rights.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:17 AM
A.J. ¹

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I could be wrong about this....

But how could guys like Kulkov, Sozinov and Rostov be released? If I'm not mistaken they were never signed by Toronto in the first place.

I always thought that guys like that are not technically Leafs 'property' because they're not under contract with them right now.

But the Leafs still own their NHL rights. Therefore in order to play with an NHL team again, they'd either have to play with Toronto or the Leafs would have to trade their rights.

Sozinov went back into the draft, and went undrafted. The Leafs do not own his rights anymore.

Kulkov & Rostov I guess fall into the same categry as Kris Newbury. Newbury was drafted by San Jose last year, and after this past training camp, they released his rights without even signing him first I believe.

BTW, when I said "no longer Leafs property", I meant the Leafs do not own their NHL rights anymore.

Sorry about that.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:46 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMC
Sozinov went back into the draft, and went undrafted. The Leafs do not own his rights anymore.

Kulkov & Rostov I guess fall into the same categry as Kris Newbury. Newbury was drafted by San Jose last year, and after this past training camp, they released his rights without even signing him first I believe.

BTW, when I said "no longer Leafs property", I meant the Leafs do not own their NHL rights anymore.

Sorry about that.
Newbury wouldn't fall into the same category as Kulkov or Rostov since Newbury was a North American prospect and the other two are European prospects.

Anyway, here's the way I understand it.

Take Kondratiev for example. Regarless of where he plays this year, he is Leaf property because he has a contract with the Leafs.

A guy like Antipov is not Leaf property because he does not have a contract with the Leafs. He is the property of his club team in Russia.

However, Antipov was drafted out of Europe so he could not have re-entered the draft at any time. Therefore, I think the Leafs still hold his NHL contract rights.

That's why I think Antipov is still technically a Leaf 'prospect'.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:13 AM
A.J. ¹

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Newbury wouldn't fall into the same category as Kulkov or Rostov since Newbury was a North American prospect and the other two are European prospects.
And there's another word {category} I used wrong, seems to be happeneing alot for me today.

Quote:
Anyway, here's the way I understand it.

Take Kondratiev for example. Regarless of where he plays this year, he is Leaf property because he has a contract with the Leafs.
Yep.

Quote:
A guy like Antipov is not Leaf property because he does not have a contract with the Leafs. He is the property of his club team in Russia.
Yep.

Quote:
However, Antipov was drafted out of Europe so he could not have re-entered the draft at any time. Therefore, I think the Leafs still hold his NHL contract rights.
I never said Antipov re-entered the draft, I said Sozinov did, not sure how he was able to, since he was drafted out of Russia, but he did re-enter, and wasn't drafted.

I just checked, and noticed that Kulikov played in the CHL {Central Hockey League - Memphis River Kings} in 00/01, so I guess he was signed by the Leafs.

I think Sergei Rostov quit Hockey. Eurohockey.net only has stats for him up to 99/00.

Old
11-05-2003, 10:52 AM
russ4king

There are a lot of good ideas out their, but here is the truth.

If a player from North America gets drafted, with the exception of players playing in college, the drafting team holds their rights for two years. If that player is not drafted they, depending on their age will re-enter the draft.

If a player from Europe is drafted and left unsigned they will remain the property of the drafting team. The drafting team does have the option of giving them their outright release.

Since Antipov already signed a contract with Toronto (he did play in St. Johns) he is likely a free agent since he was not offered a contract. He chose to head back overseas and is likely a free agent. There is always the chance the leafs worked out a deal to retain his rights, but since he is not a legitimate NHLer anymore, he is likely gone.

There was always doubt as to whether he would ever make it because he apparently is considered a classical piano player and was considering pursuing that as a career.

Old
11-06-2003, 05:54 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

John Ferguson, in a sense, will be getting back to his roots in the next few days.

The Maple Leafs general manager left for Finland yesterday for a scouting trip. He will take in the Karjala Cup, involving senior national teams from Finland, Russia, the Czech Republic and Sweden, and an under-20 event featuring clubs from the same four countries. A couple of Leafs picks -- Alexander Steen for Sweden and Jarkko Immonen for Finland -- will play in the Karjala Cup. Not only will Ferguson keep tabs on prospective Leafs, he'll get a look at undrafted prospects as well. Ferguson has been a scout for the Ottawa Senators and also did a lot of work in that department when he most recently was the St. Louis Blues' director of hockey operations.

"It's exciting because it provides me with a great base of knowledge," said Ferguson, who returns to Toronto on Monday. "It's a bonus. Obviously, I trust the people who work for us, but this will help."

Assistant GM Mike Penny also went overseas, as did director of amateur scouting Barry Trapp. Penny won't be back in Canada until Nov. 19, and he will make a pit stop in St. John's to watch a couple of Baby Leafs games.

"You rack up the frequent flier miles, but I can tell you, after a while the novelty wears off," Penny said of the long travel.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:54 AM
Douggy

According to the live game stats, Immonen is the 3rd line centre for Finland and Antipov is a 2nd line winger for Russia.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:01 AM
Douggy

And it looks like Steen is going to be a winger on Sweden's first line!

Old
11-06-2003, 08:40 AM
miklu

0+1 already for Immonen. Third period going on. A nice pass behind the goal for the second goal. FIN - RUS 2:2 at the moment.

Old
11-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Douggy

Looks like Steen got a two minute penalty, and the game winning shot. (I have no idea what thats supposed to mean, because Sweden lost 2-1 in overtime.)

And I don't know what you're looking at miklu, but I don't see any assists for Immonen.

EDIT: Some guy on the international tournaments board was reporting an assist by Immonen, but I still don't see it. http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=24540

Also, aparently, Steen missed on a penalty shot today.

Old
11-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Douggy,
When the games are tied after third period they go to overtime (5 minutes). If it is still a tie there are shootouts.
The Czechs scored on the first penalty shot
Steen missed his penalty shot

Therefore the Czechs got 2 points and Sweden only one point.

Old
11-06-2003, 02:01 PM
leafaholix*

Jarkko Immonen had 1 assist, 1 shot on goal and was a +2.
Vlad Antipov was a -1 with 0 shots on goal.
Alexander Steen had 2 shots on goal and a minor penalty.

Old
11-06-2003, 03:21 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
Douggy,
When the games are tied after third period they go to overtime (5 minutes). If it is still a tie there are shootouts.
The Czechs scored on the first penalty shot
Steen missed his penalty shot

Therefore the Czechs got 2 points and Sweden only one point.
I am surprised that of all the Swedish players ... the team asks it youngest player to take the first crucial penalty shot..

WOW...

Old
11-06-2003, 08:30 PM
miklu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
And I don't know what you're looking at miklu, but I don't see any assists for Immonen.
I saw it on TV All Finnish national teams Karjala cup matches are broadcasted by the Finnish national TV YLE.
Jarkko was playing in a line with Toni Dahlman (ex-Senator) and Janne Laakkonen (another late bloomer). At first their game was not so impressing as they played first time together, but as game went on they played better and better together.
The second goal was just after powerplay and Jarkko making a good mask. A blue line shot was rebounded to Dahlman and he got an easy shot as Jarkko got the defensemans attention.

(Slow) The Swe games penalty shots are because the games will be played to the end. After the first over time there will automatically be a penalty shot competition.

Win in 60 minutes -> 3 points
Win in overtime or penalty shots -> 2 points
Lost in overtime or penalty shots -> 1 point
Otherwise -> 0 points

In the Finland's game the penalty shot was a "real penalty shot" as Eloranta was tripped in a break through.

Closed Thread