HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryce Lampman's role this year?

Old
08-22-2006, 10:15 AM
X-SHARKIE

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Bryce Lampman's role this year?

Will Lampman make the team or get a shot to make the team out of camp likely?

If he does start on the farm, will he be one of the first players to be called up?

THanks

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Levitate

I think it's kind of hard to say. He missed so much time last year due to injury that I find it hard to believe he'll really be competing for a spot on the Rangers (which would probably be the 7th D-man spot). More likely he'll just be trying to get back into the swing of things.

The other thing is that he may have been knocked down the depth chart by that injury. Guys like Ivan Baranka and Daniel Girardi might be considered ahead of him now (though Baranka also got injured last year).

I don't expect him to make the team out of training camp, and whether or not he's the first callup option will depend entirely on his play in Hartford, IMO. He's got a lot of competition down there now.

And...I'm never really sure about him at the NHL level. I think if he keeps it simple, he can do alright in a 3rd pairing role, or 7th defenseman role...but ultimately he doesn't do anything well enough to really elevate him beyond that. He's solid at most aspects of the game, just doesn't have anything that really pushes him further.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE View Post
Will Lampman make the team or get a shot to make the team out of camp likely?

If he does start on the farm, will he be one of the first players to be called up?

THanks
Not sure..Most probably starts in Hartford...The way the D is now, it should be a dog fight for the 7th spot between the likes of Pock, Richter, Girardi, Lampman, Baranka?...And given injuries, whoever plays well in Hartford,will probably get a shot in NY...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Ola

It defenitly seems like he will start in HFD, though I like him allot in some aspects of his game. If he just can add a bit of a edge to his offensive game I think he could have a "Seidenberg" type of impact in the NHL.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Not sure..Most probably starts in Hartford...The way the D is now, it should be a dog fight for the 7th spot between the likes of Pock, Richter, Girardi, Lampman, Baranka?...And given injuries, whoever plays well in Hartford,will probably get a shot in NY...
According to today's Hartford Courant, Pck hasn't signed a new contract with the organization and may sign in Europe. But, I do agree that it's unlikely Lampman will be contending for a spot on the Ranger roster--if nothing else, he's coming off of major surgery (and missed almost all of last season)and will need lots of playing time to get comfortable on the ice again. Chances are he starts in Hartford--where he will provide a more experienced presence on a very young team--with a couple of call-ups later in the season, assuming there is an opening on defense.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I think Lampman might surprise people by being in the mix.

He's a stay at home, quiet type so he doesn't grab the attention but he's been solid in Hartford for a while and did make the NHL roster once and came close another time.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

In my opinion he made the team out of two camps. Than again I'm only going by game action not practice or drills..

I think Lampman would get exposed to waivers if he doesn't make the team. I could be wrong though. (on a side note i also think Pock must be exposed as well)

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 10:02 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
In my opinion he made the team out of two camps. Than again I'm only going by game action not practice or drills..

I think Lampman would get exposed to waivers if he doesn't make the team. I could be wrong though. (on a side note i also think Pock must be exposed as well)
I think Immonen too, he is already 24 and played a few seasons in europe.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 01:20 AM
eco's bones

In the past I think Lampman's biggest problem has been physical strength. He maintains position well but he was always getting outmuscled. That may be less of a concern now as contact prior to arrival of a puck often gets a penalty. The injury certainly hurts his chances. The 7th spot has the following candidates. Staal if he makes the team will drop one of the regulars down to No. 7 you would think. After him Pock and Richter have the best chance. And I would say Baranka's chances are better. And Girardi is a possibility too. Bryce is going to have to play really well to win that last spot.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 01:42 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

The only way you'll see him in the Big Apple is if there's injuries. Chances of Lampman being with this team are slim to none.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 06:43 AM
dupont08

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
The only way you'll see him in the Big Apple is if there's injuries. Chances of Lampman being with this team are slim to none.
With the defense prospects we have in the system. Lampman has 0.0% chance of making this club. He is a 7th defenseman at best on another team.

dupont08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 10:10 AM
shoothepuck

Injuries aside, Hartford is most likely the place he plays. He's way down on the depth chart for 7th D man.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Fish

I happen to like Lampman as a depth defenseman. As others pointed out, he's very smart defensively with his positioning and he's one of those guys who keep it simple. The drawbacks are of course his health (he also got injured in the pre-season in 2002-03 as it looked like he'd make the team) and his strength (is he strong enough to play in the NHL?).

Given the number of injuries that could happen, I don't think it's fair to say he has zero percent chance...I agree the chances seem long at the moment given his injury last year and the 6 NHL d-men (as well as presumably Pock) in front of him.

I think there's a reasonable chance he can secure the 7th d-man spot to start the season, but it'll largely depend on how he and the other d-men do in camp...and of course on injuries.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 11:58 AM
dupont08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I happen to like Lampman as a depth defenseman. As others pointed out, he's very smart defensively with his positioning and he's one of those guys who keep it simple. The drawbacks are of course his health (he also got injured in the pre-season in 2002-03 as it looked like he'd make the team) and his strength (is he strong enough to play in the NHL?).

Given the number of injuries that could happen, I don't think it's fair to say he has zero percent chance...I agree the chances seem long at the moment given his injury last year and the 6 NHL d-men (as well as presumably Pock) in front of him.

I think there's a reasonable chance he can secure the 7th d-man spot to start the season, but it'll largely depend on how he and the other d-men do in camp...and of course on injuries.

I would seriously doubt the organization thinks more of Lampman at this point than Baranka or Girardi who are also pushing for full time jobs at the NHL level.

Old
08-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont08 View Post
I would seriously doubt the organization thinks more of Lampman at this point than Baranka or Girardi who are also pushing for full time jobs at the NHL level.
I don't think it matters. As Fish said, it will all come down to performance in camp and preseason. If they organization really didn't have a use for Lampman, he wouldn't have been resigned.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 12:11 PM
dupont08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I don't think it matters. As Fish said, it will all come down to performance in camp and preseason. If they organization really didn't have a use for Lampman, he wouldn't have been resigned.
I'm a little skeptical about the Rangers evaluating players in camp. We have shown players who have good camps don't always make the team. I thought Wiseman had a good camp and he was replaced by Hossa who is worthless.

Old
08-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Fish

Quote:
I'm a little skeptical about the Rangers evaluating players in camp. We have shown players who have good camps don't always make the team. I thought Wiseman had a good camp and he was replaced by Hossa who is worthless.
Hossa had an awesome pre-season last year so you could argue that the reason he got picked up was because of his camp...

Certainly the Rangers haven't had a good record of handing out positions to young unproven players on opening night, but there are a few...

Ryan Hollweg 2005-06
Dominic Moore 2005-06
Barrett Heisten 2001-02
Petr Smrek 2001-02

There was also situations like Richard Scott sticking with the NHL roster after a good camp, guys like Ortmeyer, Prucha and Samuelsson (Mikael) being called up quickly...and of course the likes of Blackburn, Malhotra and York.

Last year was a better performance in that regard than in previous years...so we can hope that the new regime is a little more forward looking (and that they have the prospects who are actually ready to go).

Old
08-29-2006, 03:41 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Hossa had an awesome pre-season last year so you could argue that the reason he got picked up was because of his camp...

Certainly the Rangers haven't had a good record of handing out positions to young unproven players on opening night, but there are a few...

Ryan Hollweg 2005-06
Dominic Moore 2005-06
Barrett Heisten 2001-02
Petr Smrek 2001-02

There was also situations like Richard Scott sticking with the NHL roster after a good camp, guys like Ortmeyer, Prucha and Samuelsson (Mikael) being called up quickly...and of course the likes of Blackburn, Malhotra and York.

Last year was a better performance in that regard than in previous years...so we can hope that the new regime is a little more forward looking (and that they have the prospects who are actually ready to go).
and where are the Heisten and Smrek now??? and what ever happen to Jeff Ulmer??I remember he did ok when he was with the Rangers and I know we had Ron Low as coach. Low fell in love with Jeff Toms 4 some reason, he is a waste like Hossa is now.

Old
08-29-2006, 04:06 PM
dupont08

Quote:

Ryan Hollweg 2005-06
Dominic Moore 2005-06
Barrett Heisten 2001-02
Petr Smrek 2001-02

I haven't seen Hossa do anything awesome on the NHL level in his entire career.

Old
08-29-2006, 04:51 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
I haven't seen Hossa do anything awesome on the NHL level in his entire career.
I have seen a few things.

He stops skating very well and does not play a physical game consistantly for a guy his size. that is 2 things he does very well, other than that he is a useless bum.

Old
08-29-2006, 05:03 PM
dupont08

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
I have seen a few things.

He stops skating very well and does not play a physical game consistantly for a guy his size. that is 2 things he does very well, other than that he is a useless bum.

I spit my drink over the computer when I read that.

Old
08-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
and where are the Heisten and Smrek now??? and what ever happen to Jeff Ulmer??I remember he did ok when he was with the Rangers and I know we had Ron Low as coach. Low fell in love with Jeff Toms 4 some reason, he is a waste like Hossa is now.
Well I just trying to point out that the Rangers have in the past given players chances...the second and third parts of that are of course drafting and then developing talent which are still things that the jury's out on.

To put things in perspective, the Rangers had 9 players drafted from 1991-95 (Kovalev, Cairns, Norstrom, Marchant, Sundstrom, Boulton, Johnsson, Cloutier, Savard) that played in the NHL last season for a total of 527GP 81G 193A 274Pts. By contrast, they had 8 players from 1996-99 that played (York, Malhotra, Labarbera, Kane, Leahy, Kloucek, Brendl and Lundmark) for totals of 266 37-84-121...even though those players were on an average 5 years younger.

That's quite a drop off in the second half of Smith's reign...

Since Sather's come in (2000-2004) things appear to be turning positive again, with 10 draft choices playing last year (Novak, Moore, Lundqvist, Hollweg, Zidlicky, Lampman, Murray, Tyutin, Prucha and Holt) for totals of 448 64-88-152.

In terms of Ulmer, he was signed by Colorado before the start of the season after playing in Europe, but he didn't make it back into the NHL.

Old
08-30-2006, 01:09 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
With the defense prospects we have in the system. Lampman has 0.0% chance of making this club. He is a 7th defenseman at best on another team.
The reason why I said that his chances were "slim to none" is that if a rash of injuries were to occur, he'd be thrown to the wolves because of his lack of upside compared to other defensive prospects we have... Staal, Sauer, Sanguinetti, Baranka, etc... We have nothing to lose by doing that. The chances of that happening are next to nothing though.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 01:14 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
The reason why I said that his chances were "slim to none" is that if a rash of injuries were to occur, he'd be thrown to the wolves because of his lack of upside compared to other defensive prospects we have... Staal, Sauer, Sanguinetti, Baranka, etc... We have nothing to lose by doing that. The chances of that happening are next to nothing though.
I think Liffiton has a better chance than Lampman. Liffiton is bigger, has better stregth and tougher around the net. Liffiton looked decent in his first NHL game against the Islanders. Id take him or Lampman as the 7th dman. Pock must be top 4, his defence aint good for the 5-6 role.

Old
08-30-2006, 01:25 AM
eco's bones

Liffiton seemed to improve some from his rookie season but I'm not sure he is going to be that close. I'm thinking actually Pock or Richter. Staal drops a regular from the top 6 because if Staal makes the team he has to play. Richter they could probably get away with not playing a lot. Of course things can change with an injury or two. Baranka probably comes before Liffiton and Girardi is on the rise.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote