HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I think it's time to split up Modry & Visnovsky

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2003, 08:08 AM
Kearney

vCash: 500
I think it's time to split up Modry & Visnovsky

This is an opinion I tossed off in another thread but it got buried and I want to get your thoughts.

IMO, we should have somebody on the ice at all times who can at least pretend to try to clear the crease.

These are the ideal pairings as I see it:

Norstrom-Corvo
Miller-Modry
Gleason-Visnovsky
Holland

Old
11-18-2003, 08:29 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearney
This is an opinion I tossed off in another thread but it got buried and I want to get your thoughts.

IMO, we should have somebody on the ice at all times who can at least pretend to try to clear the crease.

These are the ideal pairings as I see it:

Norstrom-Corvo
Miller-Modry
Gleason-Visnovsky
Holland

Scary isn't it! I mean look at that list, it's embarassing.

First of all we can't pretend because it just won't happen, end of story. My solution is get rid of Modry for the upteenth time! He still has a little bit of stock left, not much but some! Same for Miller, he's overrated by Kings' fans here, and he's nowhere near a 4 million dollar player that everybody thinks he is. And, then everybody uses the excuse that he plays against the top lines, so what! He cost us the game in Carolina, and makes bonehead plays at the blueline.
Right now it's all about Matty and Lubo, and that's it! I think Gleason will have a great future, but he needs to be eased in, and right now that's not happening. We have four defenseman out there that don't want to make any mistakes and that's all their basically doing. Our transition is beyond slow at the moment. And, what they're doing to Corvo is just lame, either move him because you're upset with his off ice problem (not problems) or play the guy. It's obvious that our PP is pathetic, and we can't complain about not getting calls anymore.......we have the most pp's per game in the league........sad!
I know the answer though. We're winning so why mess with the line-up. We're hanging on right now by the skin of our teeth, and it's obvious we can't protect leads. It's time for a shake-up. Teams that have winning records like Colorado, and Ottawa still make moves to help their team, because their goal is not the playoffs, it's the Stanley Cup. We need to follow suit!

Old
11-18-2003, 08:49 AM
guzmania

Those look pretty good to me too.

I think there are a couple of reasons that Mo and Vis are together. One is a holdover from Vis not speaking english well, just 2 years ago. Another is the high octane offense that these 2 guys are capable of when matched against weaker defensive forwards. Vis has 4G 9A 13Pts and a +5. Mo has 3G 6A 9Pts with a +1. Both guys are playing ~25 minutes a game, suprisingly to me. For all their points the +/- seems low if it's high octane we're using these guys for. Vis has been the best defensman on the ice for the Kings in several games. I can't say that about Modry, maybe his strengths are harder to recognise.

I have these questions. How much would their point production suffer if each were paired with a more stable defensive partner? Wouldn't Roman appreciate that? How much trouble would it cause if they stayed together on the PP only? Would there be trouble resting them after the PP (which would force other pairings)? Even going into the PP if one of the 2 were on the ice would cause rest issues? Are the pairings meant to give the new guys more of a sense of stability with their partners, so they aren't mixed around until the normal pairings can be reinstated (possibly causing rookie mistakes)? Why is Norstrom on the PP instead of Miller?

I'd like to see more Gleason in general, but especially on the PP, he's also been one of the few hitters out there and is on the fast track. Holland has been a pleasant suprise, and has been very stable. I hope we haven't rushed Miller back, he seems a notch below his previous performances, he's seemed to have more impact on the game last year.
Corvo is still an enigma in 03-04. I'll bet he's got ants in the pants to get back in.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:56 AM
punchy1

Again, I see things simmilarly to Guzzmaniac. I like what I see in those combos.

Then, I also agree that he is a valuable enough player that if we are to move him that now would be the right time. I saw Klemm get a great young player like Robi(spelling has me baffled) and a second round pick. I know that Klemm is a fantastic defenceman but, Modry is as good at putting up points as Klemm is at playing his style. That is to say that Modry is percieved to have legitimate scoring skills around the league and I would think he would bring us back a pretty good return. A young D man from the Sens again? They have a few who are fighting for ice time that would be as good as Gleason is at this point and maybe better in time. The Sabres have a couple of great young forwards they are looking to move (of course, merely rumours) and at least one defenceman that I can think of and they might like a nice skating PP guy. (I doubt it as they aren't a true contender but maybe)

I think that this *is* the time to move Modry if we are going to as the team could use some help right now and I would bet that DT might wait until we get closer to the deadline and try to pull a deal simmilar to the Mathiew Schnieder trade of last year. (A trade that we won hugely on so many levels)

I like our pairings and feel that our overall D has done a solid job so far this year but if we can do something to improve I would make the deal. Thank god that we have such a great GM in Stitch.

Closed Thread