HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Tootoo's hit was deemed legal by the league

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2003, 01:43 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Tootoo's hit was deemed legal by the league

Taken from Newsday.

Quote:
Tootoo, who was not penalized, will not be reprimanded by the league for the hit. Claude Loiselle, the NHL's associate director of hockey operations, said all games are monitored by director of officials Andy VanHellemond from his office in Toronto. The play was reviewed by the league, Loiselle confirmed. Television replays showed the 5-8, 198-pound Tootoo was airborne when he hit the 6-1, 210-pound Martinek. But Loiselle said Tootoo "did not leave his feet prior to contact."
Link to full article

So he can continue to throw hits exactly like that.

Old
11-19-2003, 03:20 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I guess we weren't homers after all

Old
11-19-2003, 04:16 AM
Big_Mac

I didn't see the hit but all I can tell you is get used to it if you don't like it. I saw Tootoo play 3 seasons in Brandon and that's what he does, if he gets peniailzed or not

Old
11-19-2003, 04:36 AM
punchy1

Tootoo actually *did* leave his feet before contact was made and you can clearly see that. If the NHL doesn't see that then they are in denial or just plain wrong. I do agree though with Big Mac that tootoo plays that style of game and that is what we are to expect from him. If it is a cheap shot than tootoo will be dealt with on the ice, as it should be.

Old
11-19-2003, 04:42 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Clearly you are wrong he did not leave his feet before contact was made and every replay I've seen shows this. It's not a cheap shot it's a player finishing his check.

Old
11-19-2003, 05:52 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Tootoo actually *did* leave his feet before contact was made and you can clearly see that. If the NHL doesn't see that then they are in denial or just plain wrong. I do agree though with Big Mac that tootoo plays that style of game and that is what we are to expect from him. If it is a cheap shot than tootoo will be dealt with on the ice, as it should be.
I'm sorry, but you are wrong. If you watch the replay frame-by-frame, you will come to the same conclusion that the NHL as well as many others here have found. It was a monster hit, but it was perfectly legal. He left his feet, after contact was made, not before.

Old
11-19-2003, 06:21 AM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Call me a homer, but I still think that Tootoo clearly left his feet and it was plainly obvious on the ice-level replay. It could be the NHL is not punishing Tootoo to make the referees not look bad. It would look bad for the refs if Tootoo was punished for the hit and no penalty was called. But that's just my opinion though...

~TL

Old
11-19-2003, 06:47 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
"Television replays showed the 5-8, 198-pound Tootoo was airborne when he hit the 6-1, 210-pound Martinek."

Exactly.
Exactly what an Islander beat writter is going to write, funny the very next line quotes a league official
Quote:
But Loiselle said Tootoo "did not leave his feet prior to contact."

Old
11-19-2003, 06:49 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
"Television replays showed the 5-8, 198-pound Tootoo was airborne when he hit the 6-1, 210-pound Martinek."

Exactly.
Television replays showed the 5-8, 198-pound Tootoo was airborne when he hit the 6-1, 210-pound Martinek. But Loiselle said Tootoo "did not leave his feet prior to contact."

Old
11-19-2003, 07:02 AM
Douggy

Where can I see video of this hit?

Old
11-19-2003, 07:17 AM
punchy1

To say something like "clearly you are wrong" when at best, the hit is open to interpretation and many others share a different opinion than yours is pretty silly if you ask me.

I suppose I should say Cleary you are wrong, I have watched the hit on tivo again and again and he IS in the air when he makes contact. But, that would be childish. I will say that I have watched the hit several times on tivo and to me, in my opinion, from what I can see, the way it looks to me, from this agle, on my tele, etc etc etc, he *appears* to have left his feet prior to making contact.

All of that aside, I do think that tootoo, if indeed guilty of a cheap hit in *any* instance, should be dealt with on the ice for it. Any punishment that the league hands out is only going to be useless and secondary and would have little to no effect on his style of play.

Of course, i like tootoo and hope he continues to play with this edge for his entire career. So, "clearly" we have differing opinions, no more, no less.

Old
11-19-2003, 07:19 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tootoo, who was not penalized, will not be reprimanded by the league for the hit. Claude Loiselle, the NHL's associate director of hockey operations, said all games are monitored by director of officials Andy VanHellemond from his office in Toronto. The play was reviewed by the league, Loiselle confirmed. Television replays showed the 5-8, 198-pound Tootoo was airborne when he hit the 6-1, 210-pound Martinek. But Loiselle said Tootoo "did not leave his feet prior to contact."

Can someone explain to me how you can be airborne when you hit the opposing player, but u didnt leave your feet before contact???

How is that possible?

If your airborne when you hit someone, then wouldnt u have to have left your feet before contact was made?

Old
11-19-2003, 07:19 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I guess we weren't homers after all
There's a first time for everything...

Old
11-19-2003, 07:21 AM
nucks2001

vCash:
Tootoo left his feet. I'm not going to weigh in on the legal or non legal debate but he clearly left his feet.

Old
11-19-2003, 07:23 AM
Olaf

All worked up over Toots......all the naysayers said he was too small to play with the big boys in the NHL. Now that this 5'8" 20 year old is leaving vapor trails on some incredible hits he is deemed dirty by opposing fans. Despite the fact that the officals have not seen it this way.

I love this kid.

Old
11-19-2003, 07:25 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

NHL: He didn't leave his feet.

Newsday: He did. You are wrong.

Hmmmm. Newsday is New York based. Maybe a bit biased?

Old
11-19-2003, 07:47 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
There's a first time for everything...
I'll just store this away to use against you at a later time......after all, cheap-shots and one-liners are the way of life here at hf

Old
11-19-2003, 08:07 AM
fulk hogan

Tootoo clearly left his feet...after he made contact with Martinek. As long as he didn't jump into him, its a legal hit.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:24 AM
nucks2001

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
yeah you can... it just may not live through it

Old
11-19-2003, 08:27 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
yeah you can... it just may not live through it

Philosophy at its peak!

Old
11-19-2003, 08:42 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
It's good to see Nashville fans backed up by the league on this. You really can tell, if you watch it in slow motion, that he did not leave his feet prior to contact. When watched at regular speed, it looks like he left his feet. Having seen it live and a full-speed replay twice, I came on these boards saying the hit was illegal. But, once I saw the slow-motion shot that appeared on the local news, I changed my tune. His feet were firmly and clearly on the ice when contact was made. It's not open for debate, and it's not an opinion. It is the truth, and it is a view supported by the league. If it was illegal, I'm sure they would have had no problems suspending a 20 year old rookie.

Edit: BTW, It's good to see Martinek is doing fine.

Old
11-19-2003, 10:25 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Can somebody post a link to the slow-mo video, I've only seen it once.
Sure

Stop it right at 40 seconds, notice his feet are on the ice and he's already making contact.

Old
11-19-2003, 10:33 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Oh, it was on the local news here but they don't have a site, hell they barely cover hockey.........

Old
11-19-2003, 10:43 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

The link is dead. Anyone got a different one? BTW, you should be able to manually scrub through the video if you have QuickTime, thus giving the slow-mo effect. You don't necessarily need a special version, unless the posted version was clipped down to 12 fps or something.

Closed Thread