HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bergeron Contract !

Old
08-22-2006, 04:50 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Bergeron Contract !

I beleive the 21 yr old Bergeron just got 4.75 mill per year,

WOW OWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=175013&hubname=

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 04:53 PM
flyersfan97

vCash: 500
Doesn't it make you wonder why in heck they ever got rid of Thorton.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 04:58 PM
MojoJojo

Unfrikken believable. I think this might be the worst of the off season, right up there with paying Brad Richards close to 8 mil.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Jakomyte

This will definitely complicate things with Gagne... weren't you trying to sign him for around 4 million?

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Silva

Send a message via AIM to Silva
he's the heart of our team. I for one am happy we have him locked up for 5 years.

Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva View Post
he's the heart of our team. I for one am happy we have him locked up for 5 years.
I don't really care what he is, he's 21 years old, making nearly $5 million a season. What was the lockout for?

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Boston Bruno

he might be overpaid today, but in another year or two he will be a steal of a contract.

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 05:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime View Post
I don't really care what he is, he's 21 years old, making nearly $5 million a season. What was the lockout for?
Everyone knew the good players are still gonna get paid. It's the not-so-good guys that will have lose half of their salary.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Norm MacDonald

No way in hell he should be making that much. Thats more than Staal and Spezza, and Bergeron hasn't even hit a ppg.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Having a salary Cap? I see that your mind is still stocked in pre-lock-out era...

Signing a 73pts, the youngest Bruins ever to score 30g in a season with huge upside Bergeron at 4.75M isn't a mistake. At worst, it is an overpayment for the first 2 years. He would have been an UFA in 4 years at 25y old. If an 31yold and injury prone Koivu got 4.5M, how much do you think Bergy would have gotten at 25y on the open market?

Gomez and Briere got 5M in arbitration. Havlat and Gabo signed for ~6M per. Watch for Staal in 3 years. What will he sign for? More or less than 4.75M?

Overpay now, save BIG later. Thats how the better GM's will operate from now on.

On the other hand, signing the Murray's, Hatcher's and over the hill UFA to their figures IS a mistake. Not the Bergy contract.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
No way in hell he should be making that much. Thats more than Staal and Spezza, and Bergeron hasn't even hit a ppg.
Yeah. Because players must be paid for point production and past performance. I see you are still thinking past CBA.

So, by your superb logic, can you tell me why Hatcher deserves 3.5M? Koivu 4.5M?

Staal signed for 13.5/3years so 4.5M. For the next 3 years, Bergy will count for 250k more. But for year 4+5, how much Staal will get if he keeps his production and show the upside he has? Easily the 6M Havlat got. Bergeron will still be at 4.75M and lost 1 UFA years in the process. See the big picture now?

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 0
I agree, if everything goes right Bergeron at less than $5mil will be a great deal especially in the last 2 years of that contract. And he'll still be a RFA when the contract is done right?

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 05:54 PM
FoppaArGud

Doesnt shock me

This kid had stints at the start and end of the season where he was playing amazing hockey and he has plenty of upside.

I saw a post above asking "makes you wonder why they ever traded Thornton," but I think the signing that begs that a lot more is Savard. I think Savard peaked last year but is still getting $5M. They have obviously done an about face but I dunno if you can recover from trading a 26 year-old Art Ross winner with a pretty reasonable deal (substantially less than Richards in TB or Chara there, though I understand why he commanded so much).

FoppaArGud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 06:17 PM
El_Scoobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Everyone knew the good players are still gonna get paid. It's the not-so-good guys that will have lose half of their salary.

Exactly. Everyone knows that the top line guys will get their money but the "role" players may not.

Also, people should keep in mind that Bergeron did give up 1 year as a ufa, as well.

El_Scoobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Bruwinz37

The Bruins identified their best player, got him locked up long term and paid him for what his output represents.

Bergeron cannot be defined alone on points. He is one of the better defensive forwards I have seen in a Bruin uniform in many years. Soon he should get some league recognition for this as well. After Thornton left and he was allowed to have consistent linemates he averaged a PPG without a second line to speak of. He is a great faceoff guy and literally embodies everything the Bruins want in a hockey player.

4.75? Thats a deal from my view. The fact that we have him locked up and wont have to deal with a huge ballooning of a salary in two years is well worth it.

In the old CBA a deal like this would never happen. In the new CBA this is the correct way to do business.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 06:47 PM
BringBackStevens

i dont thinkt his is a bad contract but makes you realize that keeping players like calder, gagne, forsberg, carter, umberger, and pitkanen all on the same team may be a challenge.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 07:09 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
after the trade when the team was Bergerons he scored over a ppg. Look it up. This kids gonna be a stud, and it's not all about points, he has an overall game with grit and leadership.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Skk82

Quote:
this one's a lot similiar to the rick nash deal...severe overpayment in return for a longterm deal that could end up being beneficial to the team in the long run.

the real thing to worry about it the years to come is RFAs, with no other leverage than salary arbitration, can't point to contracts like this one (and ones like havlat got, and nash) and argue pretty strongly how they're worth, statistically, atleast 3/4 that much.

that's where the salary inflation could really start kicking in again.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
this one's a lot similiar to the rick nash deal...severe overpayment in return for a longterm deal that could end up being beneficial to the team in the long run.

the real thing to worry about it the years to come is RFAs, with no other leverage than salary arbitration, can't point to contracts like this one (and ones like havlat got, and nash) and argue pretty strongly how they're worth, statistically, atleast 3/4 that much.

that's where the salary inflation could really start kicking in again.
If we are speaking relatively (in regards to other members of the team and their salaries) Bergeron is most certainly "worth" 4.75m based on his current play. As he improves the deal just keeps getting better for us.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 07:57 PM
norwoodmustang

Send a message via AIM to norwoodmustang Send a message via MSN to norwoodmustang Send a message via Yahoo to norwoodmustang
All of this talk about being so close to the cap and I don't think anyone has mentioned injuries- any game a player doesn't play 9due to injury or even being scratched), 1/82 of their contract will not count against the cap. The P-Bruin replacing them will be making much less. Over an 82 game season, it may or may not be a factor in the cap total.

norwoodmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 08:06 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
he might be overpaid today, but in another year or two he will be a steal of a contract.
Why, you think the cap will go up every year?

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 10:37 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Why, you think the cap will go up every year?
i dont see what the cap has to do with it

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwoodmustang View Post
All of this talk about being so close to the cap and I don't think anyone has mentioned injuries- any game a player doesn't play 9due to injury or even being scratched), 1/82 of their contract will not count against the cap. The P-Bruin replacing them will be making much less. Over an 82 game season, it may or may not be a factor in the cap total.
Unfortunately, that isn't how the cap works. If a player misses a game, his contract still counts against the cap. If he misses more then 10 in a row, a replacement player can be named and the replacement player's contract will not count against the cap for the duration of the time the player is out. When the player returns, the team must once again get themselves below the cap.

I know that Bergeron's a nice player (and will be very very good), but this is overpayment without a doubt. He's 21, he's an RFA, and he has ZERO BARGAINING POWER. Yes they took up a year of UFA and that required them to pay him more for that 5th season, but paying him this much certainly wasn't necessary. They overpaid, but at least they're showing commitment to their young talent.

For the Flyers, this probably won't be good. Jeff Carter should be able to match what Bergeron did last year, even with 2nd line minutes. At that point, Jeff will be in line for a HUGE raise.

Ironically, the team that it is most likely to effect in the short run is the team that set of the precedent for these types of deals, the Columbus Blue Jackets. I'd really love to hear the Jackets argument for paying Zherdev 2 mil a season on a short term deal coming off a 54 point season when they rewarded Nash with a 5 yr, 5.4 mil per deal coming off a 58 point season.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
i dont see what the cap has to do with it
Because otherwise it means that paying Bergeron 4.75 mil as an RFA is a steal and paying ANYONE 4.75 mil as an RFA isn't a steal, how can it be? The player doesn't have bargaining power without arbitration rights, there was no need to reward him with this kind of deal coming off a 73 point season.

That being said, I'm sure Bruins fans are thrilled Patrice will be around for 5 more years and that management has shown a committment to youth and building around the right player. For that reason, congrats to B's fans.

BTW, the B's will be in cap HELL next season with 29 mil on the books for 8 players. I don't see how they could possibly retain Sturm or Stewart beyond this season.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
BTW, the B's will be in cap HELL next season with 29 mil on the books for 8 players. I don't see how they could possibly retain Sturm or Stewart beyond this season.
Which is why the cap has everything to do with this contract. If the cap goes down next year, good luck to the Bruins.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote