HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Excuse For Kovalev

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2003, 10:33 PM
KING

vCash: 500
No Excuse For Kovalev

http://nypost.com/sports/rangers/4175.htm

Old
11-16-2003, 03:09 AM
dedalus

Kovalev has some very special gifts, but it's becoming abundantly clear that New York is not the city for him. I'd say give him another 10 games. If he doesn't show serious signs of finding his game he's got to be moved. It would be madness to let him walk as a UFA.

Old
11-16-2003, 04:49 AM
Fletch

While Kovalev has to step up..

so does the team. You can cite his -3 last night and I don't remember a goal against in which he could've done much. ANd here's a funny quote in the article:

Not when Kovalev has skated essentially all year with complementary pivot Petr (MIA) Nedved, not when Kovalev is leading the team's forwards in ice time overall and on the power play, where he does generally play the point. It's not on Sather that Kovalev can't get his shot through, not on Sather that Kovalev has two goals in his first 16 games while carrying a team-worst minus-5 rating.

OK, complementary pivot, Nedved. First, how effective can one person be with a pivot that's MIA. Second, I offer up that he's not complementary and it's counter-productive. Third, what about the other side of the ice, Jan (AHL) Hlavac.

The problem with Brooks' article is the problem with the Rangers and Brooks unknowingly supports it. How this team's individuals should play and succeed as individuals, not as a team. It's a total line problem, not a Kovalev problem. On the PP, it's a system problem, not a Kovalev problem.

Put Kovalev out there to Lundmark's right and have Rucinsky on the left and I bet he does better. Why? Because those two players will not be in his way and they'll fetch the puck for him to keep the play alive.

While I believe this team will need more production out of Kovalev, it still needs to operate as a team. He still needs to be able to go out there and do what he needs to do to be successful. He was able to do it in PITT somehow for nearly four seasons. Perhaps this just shows us how flawed New York is.

Old
11-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
so does the team. You can cite his -3 last night and I don't remember a goal against in which he could've done much. ANd here's a funny quote in the article:

Not when Kovalev has skated essentially all year with complementary pivot Petr (MIA) Nedved, not when Kovalev is leading the team's forwards in ice time overall and on the power play, where he does generally play the point. It's not on Sather that Kovalev can't get his shot through, not on Sather that Kovalev has two goals in his first 16 games while carrying a team-worst minus-5 rating.

OK, complementary pivot, Nedved. First, how effective can one person be with a pivot that's MIA. Second, I offer up that he's not complementary and it's counter-productive. Third, what about the other side of the ice, Jan (AHL) Hlavac.

The problem with Brooks' article is the problem with the Rangers and Brooks unknowingly supports it. How this team's individuals should play and succeed as individuals, not as a team. It's a total line problem, not a Kovalev problem. On the PP, it's a system problem, not a Kovalev problem.

Put Kovalev out there to Lundmark's right and have Rucinsky on the left and I bet he does better. Why? Because those two players will not be in his way and they'll fetch the puck for him to keep the play alive.

While I believe this team will need more production out of Kovalev, it still needs to operate as a team. He still needs to be able to go out there and do what he needs to do to be successful. He was able to do it in PITT somehow for nearly four seasons. Perhaps this just shows us how flawed New York is.
I'm just not getting the MIA part..whats that supposed to mean?

Old
11-16-2003, 11:46 AM
Fletch

Meaning Nedved has yet...

to show up this season. Nedved's a traditional slow starter (although wasn't slow). I think two seasons ago it was 1 goal in his first 10, and others weren't so good either. Personally I think Nedved has been very invisible this season.

Old
11-16-2003, 12:20 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
While I believe this team will need more production out of Kovalev, it still needs to operate as a team.
Excellent point Fletch. Honestly, my eyes tell me that Kovie's lack of success is not related to a lack of effort. You can see that he's working out there, which can't be said about many Rangers. If he was on a line with players who were matching his effort, and playing with defensemen who weren't adrift in a world of their own, that effort would have gone rewarded more often this season.

Old
11-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Fletch

Right now...

I would've loved to have seen Sakic here just to see what would happen. Would he center a line of Sweeney and Fedyk in hopes he can turn each into 30 goal scorers? I'm having trouble naming a hockey player who's had success elsewhere, has come to NY and has been as good (or better) - aside from maybe Dvorak, who was given a real opportunity with complementary players here (sounds like that's the formula). There's gotta be a reason, no?

Closed Thread