HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pock Resigns with the Rangers

Old
08-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
I here you...

I did think it was a couple wrungs below average, which is where I usually come from when talking negatively about Pock.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Sebo

*** are you all talking about?
pöck just signed a 1 year extension with the rangers

translation:

Pöck stays with Rangers

Defender Thomas Pöck stays with the New York Rangers for the upcoming season. The Austrian extended his contract for another year.
"I was waiting a little bit, because I first tried to leave, but the club didn't want me to leave."
If Pöck is going to play in the NHL is decided at the end of september. "According to our GM I have a pretty good chance! The training so far has been excellent", Pöck told sport1.
http://www.sport1.at/coremedia/gener...d=3436608.html

Sebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 03:48 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebo View Post
*** are you all talking about?
pck just signed a 1 year extension with the rangers

translation:

Pck stays with Rangers

Defender Thomas Pck stays with the New York Rangers for the upcoming season. The Austrian extended his contract for another year.
"I was waiting a little bit, because I first tried to leave, but the club didn't want me to leave."
If Pck is going to play in the NHL is decided at the end of september. "According to our GM I have a pretty good chance! The training so far has been excellent", Pck told sport1.
http://www.sport1.at/coremedia/gener...d=3436608.html
hmm thats good to know... im glad he is signed but now we got alot of d. I doubt he wants to be the 7th dman, I smell a trade coming soon.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 03:52 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Rangers resign Thomas Pock

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=2243

great move

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 04:14 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

well alright

Maybe he knows somerthing we don't know. As in there will be a spot for him come October

08-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Edge

Could be he plays in Hartford and serves as an call-up type player just in case someone like Baranka isn't ready.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 04:17 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Im ok with it, he a good player at the AHL level and will help the team get a few more Ws. Don't see him getting a spot on the Rangers though unless of injuries.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 04:17 PM
94now

Austrians historically lived well with Czechs in their Austria-Hungarian Empire. That continues almost 100 year later. We will need d-men next season, not this one. Pock will have to wait. He is destine to Hartford for upcoming season.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 04:38 PM
BlueHavok

Holy Crappola!!!

I just started this thread this morning---and BAM!!! I'm thrilled!!

Lets see if I can do it again.....Rangers should acquire Kovalchuk..ASAP....hopefully before days end. For...Hossa....straight up.

Ok---so this is very good..this guy can finally prove whether or not he's nhl material....which I have no doubt that he is.....and this should put another nail in the Leetch reprise rumors coffin.

Melrose_Jr.....very wise you are...I agree with just about everything you said in this thread regarding Pock---especially that at the very least, the kid merits a closer look. Nice work.

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Austrians historically lived well with Czechs in their Austria-Hungarian Empire. That continues almost 100 year later. We will need d-men next season, not this one. Pock will have to wait. He is destine to Hartford for upcoming season.
{stares for a second}

Where did that come from?

Old
08-24-2006, 04:59 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Group VI -- The players marked (VI) qualify for unrestricted free agency, having met the requirements for Group VI free agency. These players, whose contracts have expired, are age 25 or older, have completed three or more professional seasons, and (i) in the case of a player other than a goaltender have played fewer than 80 NHL games (regular-season and playoff), or (ii) in the case of a goaltender have played fewer than 28 NHL games (regular-season and playoff)
Pock has played 14 NHL games.If he doesn't play 66 NHL games in 2006-07,Pock becomes a UFA next summer

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 05:11 PM
ddheyman

Quote:

Anyway ...

ddheyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 05:58 PM
shoothepuck

It is good he'll get an extra look.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 06:20 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Always interesting....if not a little confusing. For now you've lost me.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Pizza

If only we could have him play better "D" and generate close to the same numbers in the NHL. Time will tell, but I'm glad he's getting another chance.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 07:04 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
I think you place a little bit too much emphasis on the euro relations. Maybe you know better than I, but I think when it comes to just playing hockey, the love for the sport and the American dollar override certain rivalries.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
If only we could have him play better "D" and generate close to the same numbers in the NHL. Time will tell, but I'm glad he's getting another chance.
I think whether you like Pock or you don't, this has to be viewed as his last chance in a Ranger uniform. With the number of guys this team will have coming up over the next few years, and the fact that Pock will be 25 in a few months, it's probably going to be last opportunity with the Rangers.

Pock is the kind of guy who because of his offensive talent, will probably get a look on a team with a little less depth, but until he can perform the defensive aspects consistently he'll be like a number of offensive defenseman who put up some serious points at the minor league levels only to never quite find a permanent home in the NHL.

Old
08-24-2006, 09:00 PM
BlackRanger

so Pock is our Andy Delmore...

BlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 09:18 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think whether you like Pock or you don't, this has to be viewed as his last chance in a Ranger uniform. With the number of guys this team will have coming up over the next few years, and the fact that Pock will be 25 in a few months, it's probably going to be last opportunity with the Rangers.

Pock is the kind of guy who because of his offensive talent, will probably get a look on a team with a little less depth, but until he can perform the defensive aspects consistently he'll be like a number of offensive defenseman who put up some serious points at the minor league levels only to never quite find a permanent home in the NHL.
When was his first chance?

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 03:05 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
When was his first chance?
I think his first chance was his play the last two years. I just don't think he showed enough to warrant that permanent spot the way the Rangers hoped he would.

To me it's more a matter of making the jump so to speak, giving the brass confidence with the level of minor league play to really warrant a longer look at the NHL level.

I mean the fact is that even if you're a Pock fan, the guy has not stuck from any training camp and hasn't caused the Rangers to not sign someone. So there's more to Pock not quite taking that next step than just the opinions of some cranky old timers around here.

Old
08-25-2006, 06:25 AM
dupont08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRanger View Post
so Pock is our Andy Delmore...
First post and couldn't pick a better one. I agree with the statement above. Pock is a terrible defensive, defenseman. I never understand what a lot of Rangers fans were thinking praising this guy. People tend to look at points and not the all around game of a player. To me, Pock will never amount to anything on the NHL level.

dupont08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 09:22 AM
True Blue

Maybe it is just me

but I have yet to see him being so woefully inept at his own end of the ice, that he cannot be given a true shot. At the end of the day, Pock does not make or break the team. I know that there are much better players in the pipeline. But I just have this feeling that lots of folks around here (NOT ALL) picked up on what some of the more informed posters stated about Pock not being adequate defensively and are simply carrying that torch. It seems to me that the same people were listing him as a top-5 prospect a few years ago, right after he got signed.

I have yet to see the horrid defensive play. This is someone who was essentially a point/per game player in the AHL during his first or second year. To me, that represents someone who should have recieved a fair shot. Now maybe I do not see everything, and it is as Edge says and Pock's first chance was the 10 or so games that he has played in the NHL over the last two years that the league has played. But judging by what I saw in those games, there was nothing to indicate that his defensive game would prevent him from playing in the NHL. But like I said, maybe I just did not see what it is that prevents him from playing in the NHL.

To say that this is his last chance is a little unfair, no? I mean it is not like he has any chance of unseating the 6 players that are ahead of him right now, no matter how well he performs in camp or how poorly others may play. And if his play in the AHL last year was not enough to convince the bras that he deserves a chance, what difference will this year make?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Fletch

You know my opinion, TB...

and that is of a woeful defenseman, call it a career AHLer in my opinion (Delmore is a name that was thrown around in this thread, and that's been thrown around in the past), BUT, there isn't any reason why he cannot improve and be given a shot. To me, Pock looked small out there and was very weak on the puck. The kid could've added 5-10 pound of muscle and worked on his balance to improve, who knows. He could get better defensively (although in watcheing games in Hartford and NY, he hasn't gotten better defensively the last couple seasons), but he can improve. I wouldn't say throw him away, or do not sign him; depth usually doesn't hurt a team, and again, he's still young and can still improve.

As for last chance...it really is. This will be his third year out of college. There is a time you make a decision and go with others (like the guys coming up, Baranka, Liffiton, Staal, Sauer, etc., and whatever UFAs may come available, if there's roster space). Plus, I believe RangerBoy stated he's UFA after this season if he doesn't play 60-something NHL games - with the top 6 solidified, I don't see him cracking the lineup (he's not coming in ahead of Kaspar, Malik, Rozsival, Ward or Rachunek most likely, and then there's Toots, which he's likely not beating either, although I do put him 6th).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 10:32 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I think you place a little bit too much emphasis on the euro relations. Maybe you know better than I, but I think when it comes to just playing hockey, the love for the sport and the American dollar override certain rivalries.
It's not a rivalry. Plus, you're right, people are the pros. What I am talking about is a certain comfort level that contributes to good chemistry. Our Czech players may not be even aware of this stuff and would absolutely sencirely deny anything that has been rooted in generations. But that is where good managers carefully interact in order to prevent any little problem this business could be effected by. Any professional manager knows that diversity is a problem, not a benefit like political propaganda states, but it is a matter of fact if you want the best people on the job. Thus, it has to be properly manged.

Proper crew matching is known way back...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote