HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will be Captain?

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Pattypred

vCash: 500
I don't think Kimmo deserves it.

The end of last year's NON performance is only one of the reasons. The other reasons are not for publication on public message boards.

I am extremely disappointed in Kimmo with some things I have recently learned.

Old
09-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
I don't think Kimmo deserves it.

The end of last year's NON performance is only one of the reasons. The other reasons are not for publication on public message boards.

I am extremely disappointed in Kimmo with some things I have recently learned.

Kimmo's been a solid player for us for a long time, quietly being our best overall defenseman and one of the best players in franchise history.

If the players feel as if he makes a good captain, I fully support their decision.

Old
09-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

*clears throat* ... No European Captain has ever captained his team to a Stanley Cup

Old
09-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger View Post
Kimmo's been a solid player for us for a long time, quietly being our best overall defenseman and one of the best players in franchise history.

If the players feel as if he makes a good captain, I fully support their decision.
I believe CHARACTER should have a lot to do with being named Captain. For that reason, I do not support Kimmo being named Captain.

Old
09-06-2006, 10:26 AM
R A D I C K

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
That's not a new rule either, Roy never wore an A or a C.
Ohhhhhh. Maybe I made that up. But didn't he have that big "A" on his sweater? Oh wait, I guess that's the team logo. Anyway, I think it's a crappy rule.

Old
09-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
I believe CHARACTER should have a lot to do with being named Captain. For that reason, I do not support Kimmo being named Captain.
I haven't seen anything that suggests that Kimmo's character would not be good enough for being a captain. Who knows, maybe I've missed something.

Like I said, if the players think he's captain material, then I support them, which should be an indication of his character.

Old
09-06-2006, 12:53 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R A D I C K View Post
Ohhhhhh. Maybe I made that up. But didn't he have that big "A" on his sweater? Oh wait, I guess that's the team logo. Anyway, I think it's a crappy rule.
No it's not. The captain's and alternates main job is to comunicate with the refs.

You can't have your goalies skating all the way out to the refs box to negotiate every penalty or to the other end of the ice to discuss the face-off location.

Old
09-06-2006, 01:24 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Quote:
You can't have your goalies skating all the way out to the refs box to negotiate every penalty or to the other end of the ice to discuss the face-off location.

We should do what Detroit does in those cases and make everybody on the ice into a captain.

Old
09-06-2006, 01:46 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

LOL, make sure to stash some Refresh Tears in their equipment so they can get those eyes into action.

Old
09-06-2006, 01:53 PM
R A D I C K

Quote:
No it's not. The captain's and alternates main job is to comunicate with the refs.

Ok. Good point. You win.

But only because goaltenders get a pass on talking to the refs as a general rule, so long as it has to do with interference issues. It would be a bit pointless to prevent them from speaking to refs just because they don't wear the A or C when they CAN'T wear the A or C.

If anyone needs me I'll be reading the hockey rulebook...

Old
09-06-2006, 02:06 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
I'd go with Sullivan. For an divison rival's stand point he's the obvious leader of the team.

Old
09-06-2006, 02:12 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R A D I C K View Post
Ok. Good point. You win.

But only because goaltenders get a pass on talking to the refs as a general rule, so long as it has to do with interference issues. It would be a bit pointless to prevent them from speaking to refs just because they don't wear the A or C when they CAN'T wear the A or C.

If anyone needs me I'll be reading the hockey rulebook...
Wearing or not wearing a letter doesn't prohibit you from speaking to the officials, you're just not an identified team representative. Goaltenders speak with the officials regularly during stoppages, to voice concerns about interference, etc.

During your read, you may also notice that goaltenders are not allowed to cross the red line. This would also present a challenge if the officials are at the other end of the ice and the goaltender wants to question a call, etc.

Old
09-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Darth Predator

has anyone heard mention of a time table to announce a captain?

Old
09-07-2006, 08:25 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

I think Sully would be the best choice. I would go with Kariya and Arnott for the A's.

I just don't see Kimmo as Captain material.

Old
09-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:

That, and the average goaltender only plays 50-60 games a year. It can't be a good thing to have your captain on the bench for a guaranteed 20+ game s ayear.

Old
09-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Matsi
got paws?

I hope for Timonen, with Sullivan and Kariya getting an A each

Old
09-09-2006, 03:36 AM
Brad Richards

timonen sure as hell is captain material. he has worn an a on team finland forever.

Old
09-10-2006, 09:50 AM
handtrick

interesting piece in today's Tennessean:

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...609100408/1028

It seems that all of the 4.......Kariya, Sullivan, Arnott, and Timonen want it [or at least are interested in it] from their quotes.

I was really surprised that Kariya seemed more interested in his quote than I anticipated him to be.

You wonder how they are really going to decide....if they leave it to a team vote.....it seems Timonen would have the bulk of the Euro vote...but that is only 4 at this point unless Lehtonen, Koistenen, or Widing make the team.

It sounds like there may be some combination of coaches choosing and players choosing to arrive at the final decision.

From what I have observed, there are certainly undercurrents as to who will emerge as the captain and this might have implications on team chemistry if it happens in somewhat of a bitter way......eventhough Arnott is certainly the darkhorse having not ever played for the Preds, it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibilities that he might emerge as the compromise candidate to keep all the "camps" satisified.....it also doesn't hurt that he is signed for the longest out of anyone.

Very interesting dynamics going on here.....

Old
09-10-2006, 06:45 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Timonen says he "thinks" he could do it. Not that he knows he can or that he really wants to do it.

I like Sullivan's response best of the ones quoted.

Old
09-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Pred303

don't think for a second that management isn't considering the possible impact of naming someone a captain, and what that might possibly mean as far as increasing the chances that they re-sign or extend here with the preds...

the discussion of whether making either kariya or timonen the captain might possibly influence their decision to stay here has to be being really talked about behind trotz and poile's doors right now... that's one of the unknowable little things as far as dynamics going on here you know..

personally, i think if they felt it was that important to kariya, that they would probably offer it to him if for no other reason than that.. but if they don't think it will influence his decision to stay or go after this season than they apply the same logic to timonen next..

while i don't really care one way or the other, i do agree if you think by doing so, you name one of them captain if you think it will make them extend here (or simply increase the chance)

personally, i feel sullivan is the logical captain from a personality/leadership point of view... and that kariya and timonen should be the alternates... however, if management feels it gives them a contract negotiating edge by naming either of the other two, it wouldn't bother me one iota

one tough thing, is that if it's really that important to everyone.. well you run the risk of sowing dissention in the locker room even before the season starts between your key players (even though i know they're all professionals and would get over it, it still could cause some resentment).. and what if it's hugely important to both kariya and timonen.. and you know if you offer it to one of them, it increases the chance they will stay, but drastically decreases the chance the one not chosen leaves after this year?.. (well then of course, you choose the best player, kariya)..

so bottom line is i think whoever is named captain, it could well tell us some subtle things about the locker room and contract negotiation mechanics and inner workings

Old
09-10-2006, 09:32 PM
handtrick

Great points 303.

The individual interviews inwhich it will come out how bad each of them really WANT that "C" will go far to who ends up with it, in my estimation.....

That being said.....the chemistry that evolves during training camp and especially during the week in Orlando will also figure in.

I don't expect any announcement until they return from Orlando, at the earliest....

Old
09-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

just as long as it isn't kimmo I'm good

Old
09-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Well...this morning in the Tennessean there are a couple of paragraphs and a quick quote from Trotz regarding the possibility of rotating the "C" amongst our leadership group.

This wouldn't be a bad idea IMO. I think we have several strong candidates and don't think any will have a negative attitude towards rotating the captains amongst themselves (Arnott, Kariya, Sullivan, Timonen) and anyone else that shows they deserve it (giving younger players the opportunity and incentive to work hard on their leadership skills and rewarding them by awarding them an "A" or "C" during a rotation).

I like the idea actually because it will not alienate anyone immediately and give everyone the opportunity to wear a letter throughout different parts of the season. We have a great team here in terms of chemistry and personality. I don't think it would be looked down upon by the players in our locker room and would actually serve as extra motivation, if any extra motivation is needed.

Old
09-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Jarnberg

I'm not a big fan of the rotating captain idea.

I'm all for appeasing players, but hopefully a player's decision on whether or not to stay here isn't based on becoming Captain. I'd hope they are more mature about it than that.

Old
09-11-2006, 09:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I don't like the alternating captain thing, either. Most teams that do it settle on one, eventually(Buffalo, Minnesota come to mind).

I still think it should be Sullivan...Kariya...Timonen....Arnott...in that order, and with Sullivan as the distant favorite.

Closed Thread