HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal: Atlanta & Buffalo

Old
08-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Safir*

vCash: 500
Proposal: Atlanta & Buffalo

It's a lazy Saturday and I was thinking about a backup plan in case the Thrashers center experiment fails.

The subject de jour is to propose a deal for a 2nd or 1st line center. I'm thinking about to offer at least one of our centers and perhaps Coburn.

You need teams, which have an abundance of good centers and lack top end defensive prospects. IMO the ideal trade partner is Buffalo.

PHP Code:
to BuffaloJim Slater Braydon Coburn 

to Atlanta
Derek Roy (0.627RFA in '07) & 2nd round pick in 2007 
The Sabres gain a top end physical prospect on defensive and add a center to replace Roy in the line up. With Briere, Connolly, Slater and Gaustad the team can ice four quality lines. Coburn could make the team this year or next season, when Nurminen is gone(?).

The Thrash get a 1st line C to play with either Kovy or Hossa. Roy is sound on defensive and has the ability to rack up big point totals in Atlanta. Slater looks more like a 3rd line center (upside 2nd line center.) On defensive Atlanta has tons of prospects and I think that loss Coburn wouldn't hurt too much.

Just toying here folks and looking for your ideas.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

As a Sabres fan, I wouldn't do this. With both Briere and Drury as UFAs after this year, they could be gone. If Roy goes, too, then it would be Connolly-Gaustad-Novotny-Slater. Not too good there. The Sabres top 3 defensemen (Tallinder, Lydman, Spacek) are all signed for 3-4 years. The only defenseman that will be gone after this season is Numminen, and Nathan Paetsch looks to be ready to step in and fill his spot. I don't see where Coburn fits in.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 10:39 AM
AlMo

I don't think this deal works for the Sabres. It would be great to have a prospect like Coburn but not at the expense of Roy. Roy is a very young player who is already a proven commodity. Like the other poster mentioned, Briere and Drury and reaching free agent status and Roy looks like he could become their #1 center sooner rather than later.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Big no from the Sabres standpoint. They have a few forwards like Slater on the team or close to breaking the roster and Coburn, though a nice defensive prospect, is still a bit too much of a project at this point to give up Roy for. Roy is probably our peskiest forward and with his skating and offensive skill set is probably the best Sabre forward poised for a breakout offensive season this year. Did score 15 pts in 18 playoff games.

Bottom line, this trade doesn't make the Sabres better.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Jooce81

pass

Jooce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Safir*

Realisticly, what would it take to acquire Roy?

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 01:32 PM
sabresrat

Even without the 2nd round pick this isn't enough. Roy is being groomed as Drury's replacement. Sorry.

sabresrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Pavel Bure

No from both sides

Pavel Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 05:03 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

roy and pominville are untouchable unless we receive a huge overpayment.

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 05:26 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid swords View Post
This is the kind of statement that explains the reason why trade proposals on these forums SUCK, in a nutshell.

No one wants to give up anything to get anything, and if they do have to give up something, then other team should have to give up the world to get something. That's NOT how it works in real life.

Who do you think Roy and Pominville are, Malkin and Ryan??? Ovechkin and Staal? Because there's only one other young player in the NHL I'd terribly overpay for aside from those two, and that's Crosby. Putting Roy and Pominville on a level with those three is RIDICULOUS.

Sorry to make it seem like such a rant and that I'm going off on you, because I'm not, but I think this had to be addressed. People need to start asking themselves if they'd make the trade, and people on the other end have to stop overvaluing their players and demanding the world in return. Just because you like that player doesn't mean he's worth X amount in return.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Old Navy Goat

The crux of the matter is that the Sabres are in a win now mode as its debatable whether Drury or Briere will be on the team next year. Roy has two years experience in the league, plays in all situations and exploded in the playoffs, Coburn has yet to show that he can be an impact player. Yes the Sabres pipeline has a dearth of high end defensive prospects outside of Persson but Sekera and Gragnani both look promising. Value wise, most fans would jump at the offer in a heartbeat but it doesn't address a need as Buffalo has their top 4 defensemen locked up for the next 3-4 years and will shortly have major gaps at the center position.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
This is the kind of statement that explains the reason why trade proposals on these forums SUCK, in a nutshell.

No one wants to give up anything to get anything, and if they do have to give up something, then other team should have to give up the world to get something. That's NOT how it works in real life.

Who do you think Roy and Pominville are, Malkin and Ryan??? Ovechkin and Staal? Because there's only one other young player in the NHL I'd terribly overpay for aside from those two, and that's Crosby. Putting Roy and Pominville on a level with those three is RIDICULOUS.

Sorry to make it seem like such a rant and that I'm going off on you, because I'm not, but I think this had to be addressed. People need to start asking themselves if they'd make the trade, and people on the other end have to stop overvaluing their players and demanding the world in return. Just because you like that player doesn't mean he's worth X amount in return.
I think what he meant was that Roy and Pominville are the future for the offense. The Sabres would not trade them away unless they were blown away with a deal. Every team has prospects that they won't trade unless the other team overpays greatly (Toronto has Steen, Ottawa has Kaigorodov, etc.). Nobody thinks Roy = Malkin and Pominville = Ryan, but relative to their stats they are worth much more. Plus Roy and Pominville's salary is very affordable.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 07:51 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Like Coburn and Slater?
This would be a very good deal for Buffalo.

Why would Atlanta ever consider this?

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 07:54 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Bad deal for Buffalo..

Roy has more game than Slater at both ends of the ice.. and Coburn is looking more and more like a flop.. he is still young and can easily turn it around (big defensemen typically have slower learning curves) but I don't see Buffalo going for this.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 09:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
Bad deal for Buffalo..

.. and Coburn is looking more and more like a flop.. he is still young and can easily turn it around (big defensemen typically have slower learning curves) but I don't see Buffalo going for this.
I didn't catch any AHL games this year but...
73GP 6G 20A 26PTS +12 136PIM
...seems like a solid group of numbers for a 6'5'' defenseman in his for year of pro hockey.

Old
08-26-2006, 09:08 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I didn't catch any AHL games this year but...
73GP 6G 20A 26PTS +12 136PIM
...seems like a solid group of numbers for a 6'5'' defenseman in his for year of pro hockey.
he was downright awful in the three games I have seen and I read he had big problems defensively and with bad penalties. Not writing him off by any means.

Old
08-26-2006, 09:30 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
he was downright awful in the three games I have seen and I read he had big problems defensively and with bad penalties. Not writing him off by any means.
I guess you can't always tell with numbers.

Old
08-26-2006, 09:49 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I guess you can't always tell with numbers.
yea.. Stats are good to gain a knowledge of what type of player the guy is, but not necessarly on how he played.

Old
08-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Fan-of-#9

Call me crazy, but Roy is worth more than Coburn and Slater combined at this point. After his performance in the playoffs he already proven he can play at the highest level and be an impact player. He was one of the better Sabres fowards in their playoff run, and should only get better in the coming years, which is pretty scary. He's been a impact player with character at every level (Memorial Cup, WJC, Rochester, etc), and so far it looks like that will continue in the NHL.

I like to compare him to a young Doug Gilmour.

You may think that I'm overvaluing him, but I promise you Regier feels the same way and would walk away from that deal (at least I hope so!).

I can almost guarantee that Roy will be a 60-65 point guy. Add to that good leadership, the ability to step his game up when it matters and solid play in all 3 zones - and you have yourself a player with a long productive career. Not to mention he could very well have a higher offensive upside than just 60-65 points - he could very well end up being a 70-75 point guy - even more, who knows.

Given his production, versatility, age, salary and upside - he's one of our more valuable assets at the moment.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 11:15 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:

how about you stop putting words in my mouth, i never compared roy and pominville to ovechkin and crosby, or did anything even near it.

roy and pominville are untouchable because they fit buffalo's system to a T, they are young, they are cheap, and they have huge upside. would you care to explain to me why buffalo would trade derek roy, a potential future first line center, when both briere and drury are UFA after next season, and we run the risk of losing both? think about it, roy will not be going anywhere unless the deal is so heavily in our favor we'd be stupid not to. i never said roy legitimately commands a heavy payment to go in a trade, just that buffalo won't trade him unless we come out of the deal looking like bandits. that IS how trades work with darcy regier, for your information.

Old
08-26-2006, 11:50 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
how about you stop putting words in my mouth, i never compared roy and pominville to ovechkin and crosby, or did anything even near it.

roy and pominville are untouchable because they fit buffalo's system to a T, they are young, they are cheap, and they have huge upside. would you care to explain to me why buffalo would trade derek roy, a potential future first line center, when both briere and drury are UFA after next season, and we run the risk of losing both? think about it, roy will not be going anywhere unless the deal is so heavily in our favor we'd be stupid not to. i never said roy legitimately commands a heavy payment to go in a trade, just that buffalo won't trade him unless we come out of the deal looking like bandits. that IS how trades work with darcy regier, for your information.
Yeah, I guess you're right.

That's why Martin Biron is still a Sabre... Quite the shocker.

Let me know how that deal works out.

Old
08-26-2006, 11:50 PM
WpgPens

Quote:

Although I don't fully agree on your methods, I totally agree with the core point you were trying to make with this.

Rather than use facts and actual arguments with basis, most use their personal bias' to cloud their words and become reactive. Those that simply say "That doesn't work for MY team" or "Are you joking" type comments in similar posts are the problem here. Why doesn't it work for your team? Why would you think he is joking? Explain yourselves. Using one liner responses doesn't answer the question given, if you don't have a basis for your opinion, give it when you can or just read the response of those who do. Way too many ignorant remarks that lead the threads into endless nonsense imho.

Excluding the posters that put up absolute nonsense you all have to realize that the originators of these kinds of topics are trying to stir up conversation with their posts. Try thinking a bit objectively people. Way too many threads that start out as legitamate discussions or proposals end up useless arguments.

I'm done.

WpgPens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 11:59 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Yeah, I guess you're right.

That's why Martin Biron is still a Sabre... Quite the shocker.

Let me know how that deal works out.
i don't know, i guess it's better than having him retire and become our GM.

Old
08-27-2006, 01:12 AM
sabresrat

Quote:

One of the real PWNS of the year so far.

sabresrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 01:19 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:

Thank god I'm not an Islander fan.

Bravo, Bravo.