HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hayley should stay with women

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2003, 10:19 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Hayley should stay with women

I don't mind so much that she was playing in Finland, since Finland is no where near the NHL. But I'd hate to think that this situation will raise the bar for other women to try and play in the NHL. What's wrong with Women's Hockey? It was good in the Olympics.
The point is that the NHL has enough problems of its own right now and to try and recruit a women in the NHL is a joke. Why? Well lets face it, men and women are on different skill levels and strengths. Honestly, look at Cassie Campbell, good defensmen, on a women's team. But compare her slapshot to Al MacInnis or even Coffey's and the is a lot of difference. Women almost need a lighter puck to play and they think they can compete in the NHL. No I don't think so. Why was Manon Rheaume a goaltender for Tampa Bay? Publicity. A young expansion team needed something. Look I'm sorry if I offend someone but I'm saying what every "straight" man is thinking. Let's hope Hayley's publicity stunt was only an abberation not a trend. There is nothing wrong with Women's hockey, so stick with your own gender.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:30 AM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
I don't mind so much that she was playing in Finland, since Finland is no where near the NHL. But I'd hate to think that this situation will raise the bar for other women to try and play in the NHL. What's wrong with Women's Hockey?
There is nothing wrong with women's hockey at all, but if they want to compete at a higher level, then it has to be with men. If a woman is capable of playing in the NHL, then I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:33 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
But I'd hate to think that this situation will raise the bar for other women to try and play in the NHL. What's wrong with Women's Hockey? It was good in the Olympics.
The point is that the NHL has enough problems of its own right now and to try and recruit a women in the NHL is a joke. Why? Well lets face it, men and women are on different skill levels and strengths.
Your objections make no sense. If women are not fit to play in the NHL, as you say yourself, then no women will play in the NHL.

"I'd hate for two years old to play in the NHL! They aren't physically fit! We must stop this!!!"

The bottom line is NHL teams will not hire women if they can't do the job. Especially not skaters. A publicity stunt like having Manon Rheaume (a goalie) in an exhibition game is harmless and without consequences.

I salute Hailey for her accomplishments but she didn't even make it to the highest level of hockey in Finland. She's certainly not going to make the NHL and if anything, she's demonstrating that for a woman to make the NHL, she'd have to be leaps and bounds ABOVE Hailey's level.

I don't see that happening. Neither do you. So what's the problem?

I also agree with you in part that there's nothing wrong with sticking to women's hockey. But I can see why exceptional atheltes would want to push their limits.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:39 AM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
If there is a women that is good enough to make it in the nhl then let her come in and show it. i dont think there is one now thou. maybe a goalie like st.pierre, i could see her turning a few heads in a training camp. but i just dont see a woman in the nhl anytime soon. a woman ref will do a nhl hockey game long before a woman hockey player.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:40 AM
Big Phil

I'm just saying that men and women should be separate in professional sports thats all. This isn't Pee-Wee and we aren't eight years old. This is the real deal. What if Wayne Gretzky said in the mid 80's that the NHL wasn't good enough for him. Let's face it, it wasn't. He racked up more assists 3 times in his career than the next closest had points! Wouldn't that have been an insult to the NHL? Hayley is the best women's player in the world but if she or ant other women would make it that would be an insult and a joke to the NHL.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:47 AM
Bud The Spud*

Quote:
I'm just saying that men and women should be separate in professional sports thats all. This isn't Pee-Wee and we aren't eight years old. This is the real deal. What if Wayne Gretzky said in the mid 80's that the NHL wasn't good enough for him. Let's face it, it wasn't. He racked up more assists 3 times in his career than the next closest had points! Wouldn't that have been an insult to the NHL? Hayley is the best women's player in the world but if she or ant other women would make it that would be an insult and a joke to the NHL.
So it would be an insult and a joke to the NHL if a woman had the talent and ability to play in the NHL As for Wayne Gretzky, what level could he have played at that is higher than the NHL? He was at the highest level he could be.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:53 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
She couldn't handle a fourth line centre job in Finland and she is the best the women have right now. I don't think any could handle the NHL at this point in time.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:56 AM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
She couldn't handle a fourth line centre job in Finland and she is the best the women have right now. I don't think any could handle the NHL at this point in time.

,aybe she couldnt handle the fact she HAD to be a 4th line center? I dont know what line she played on but she said she left becuase she wanted to be with he family again and didnt like the amont of time she was getting on the team. she had 11 points in 24 games. not tooo bad.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:57 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
So it would be an insult and a joke to the NHL if a woman had the talent and ability to play in the NHL As for Wayne Gretzky, what level could he have played at that is higher than the NHL? He was at the highest level he could be.
I'm only using Gretzky as an example but yes it would be an insult. Would Scott Stevens bodycheck Cammi Granato if he had the chance to lay into her? Maybe. But why second guess that. There never will be a woman that can compete at the same level as the best men in the world, it just won't happen. The only reason it would is for media attention. And for the people that say if they are good enough they should be in the NHL think about this. Would a woman fight Mike Tyson or Lennox Lewis in the ring? No. So why Hockey? Genders shouldn't mix in professional sports, thats the rule. As muchas this might offend "tree-huggers" its the truth. Men are far more advanced than women in sports. Always will be. I say this to protect and benefit the women.

Old
11-15-2003, 11:02 AM
tom_servo

The point is, she shouldn't be given a spot, or treated with favor simply because she would be breaking some ground. Any woman trying to get into the NHL would have to have NHL skill.

Old
11-15-2003, 11:03 AM
Bud The Spud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
The point is, she shouldn't be given a spot, or treated with favor simply because she would be breaking some ground. Any woman trying to get into the NHL would have to have NHL skill.
Exactly.

Old
11-15-2003, 11:05 AM
Bud The Spud*

Quote:
I'm only using Gretzky as an example but yes it would be an insult. Would Scott Stevens bodycheck Cammi Granato if he had the chance to lay into her? Maybe. But why second guess that. There never will be a woman that can compete at the same level as the best men in the world, it just won't happen. The only reason it would is for media attention. And for the people that say if they are good enough they should be in the NHL think about this. Would a woman fight Mike Tyson or Lennox Lewis in the ring? No. So why Hockey? Genders shouldn't mix in professional sports, thats the rule. As muchas this might offend "tree-huggers" its the truth. Men are far more advanced than women in sports. Always will be. I say this to protect and benefit the women.
I don't think that there is a woman right now who could compete in the NHL and I have no idea whether or not there will be in the future. But, if there is a woman who can in the future, I am all for it. Are you saying all of this to protect and benefit the women or because it would embarrass men if a woman had the ability to compete with and possibly be better than the men?

Old
11-15-2003, 11:05 AM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
,aybe she couldnt handle the fact she HAD to be a 4th line center? I dont know what line she played on but she said she left becuase she wanted to be with he family again and didnt like the amont of time she was getting on the team. she had 11 points in 24 games. not tooo bad.
I guess those could be 3rd line quality stats at the most.

Old
11-15-2003, 11:08 AM
kenabnrmal

The only half-decent point you've made is that Hayley could put her efforts into trying to raise the profile of women's hockey, instead of chasing 4th line duties on mid-level men's pro teams. No NHL job is going to be handed to any female who doesn't have the skill level, so the rest of it all is moot. If she was good enough, I wouldn't care what gender she was, I'd want to see her in the league.

Old
11-15-2003, 11:09 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
I don't think that there is a woman right now who could compete in the NHL and I have no idea whether or not there will be in the future. But, if there is a woman who can in the future, I am all for it. Are you saying all of this to protect and benefit the women or because it would embarrass men if a woman had the ability to compete with and possibly be better than the men?
I say this because a woman could really get hurt by a shot or a hit and it isn't a level playing field. See, this is what happens when we give them the right to vote. LOL Just kidding ladies.LOL

Old
11-15-2003, 11:14 AM
Bud The Spud*

Quote:
I say this because a woman could really get hurt by a shot or a hit and it isn't a level playing field. See, this is what happens when we give them the right to vote. LOL Just kidding ladies.LOL
But, if there was a woman capable, would you have a problem with that? Your last comments confirmed my thoughts that you are sexist.

Old
11-15-2003, 11:15 AM
SopelFan*

What would the men in the NHL do? Would they be able to hit, or check a female that easily? Could they even change in the same locker room?

Old
11-15-2003, 11:25 AM
dem

A woman will never play in the NHL and quite frankly they shouldnt if they could. Other than the fact that it would be ridiculous on the ice.. anyone whos been in a hockey locker room and its no place for a lady.

Old
11-15-2003, 11:55 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
A woman will never play in the NHL and quite frankly they shouldnt if they could. Other than the fact that it would be ridiculous on the ice.. anyone whos been in a hockey locker room and its no place for a lady.
Do you still meet women by clubbing them over the head and carrying them to your cave? Just curious.

Old
11-15-2003, 12:05 PM
Snap Wilson

What a dumb discussion. There isn't a woman in the world who could even crack your average college team, let alone the NHL. It's not even an issue.

And just ignore Dem. He likes to piss in the idiot pool on LGW as well.

Old
11-15-2003, 12:07 PM
dem

Piss in the idiot pool? That whole board is the idiot pool.

LETS TRADE CUJO FOR GABORIK

Old
11-15-2003, 12:09 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
Do you still meet women by clubbing them over the head and carrying them to your cave? Just curious.
What was the point of this post exactly?

Old
11-15-2003, 12:09 PM
GB

Send a message via ICQ to GB
Let's keep this nice, or I'll make you have a group hug :p

Old
11-15-2003, 12:19 PM
Disco Volante

Quote:
Look I'm sorry if I offend someone but I'm saying what every "straight" man is thinking.

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. And why again do you feel the need to remind us you are straight? You don't feel comfortable stating you want the boys to be kept together?

And no, you don't offend anybody. Ridicule isn't offending it's, well... ridicule.

Old
11-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I also agree with you in part that there's nothing wrong with sticking to women's hockey. But I can see why exceptional atheltes would want to push their limits.
Plus the NHL is where the money is. If a woman is good enough to play in the NHL, the NHL would have a hell of a lawsuit on it's hands if they didn't give her a chance to play and earn the big bucks.

Closed Thread