HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Is it too late?

Old
08-29-2006, 02:41 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Is it too late?

Hi, I've been playing street hockey for a few years now, and I'm thinking about trying out for ice hockey. I'm pretty good, compared to some of the people I play with. But the problem is, I've never ice skated before in my life. I know most people who play have been ice skating for most of their lives. So my question is, is it too late for me to try skating? If not, is there anything I can do to help me learn how to skate at a level I need to be at?

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Hugh Madbrough

vCash: 500
Well you didn't say how old you were but I'm guessing that no, it isn't too late. I have seen people in there late 30's just start playing because their kid did. Go out to public skates and take a skating class. There are normally novice leagues at the local rink to get started out in. Since you have played street hockey chances are you hands will at least be better than your normal novice.

Well what are you waiting for? Get your *** out there!

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Nbr-17

First off it's never too late
Try to find some skating lessons in your area. Around here there are adult skating lessons offered by the city. Then try to go public skating as much as you can.
I started skating at age 36 and started hockey a couple of years later.
I started with this program: https://www.truenorthhockey.com/pgs/...nnerInfo.shtml
which IMHO was a great way to start as everybody had similar abilities and skill and you weren't just 'thrown' into game situations.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

It's never too late. I started in my first year of grad school (age 21) and was playing collegiate club varsity four years later.

People who start late have one big advantage - they still have passion for the sport. A lot of people who started as kids get burned out from all of the activities.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 03:50 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

look at holiday and leisure rinks (i live in buffalo) for skateing classes. that should help you along the way. also look at open skates, i know pespi center has it every sunday in the winter.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Jeffw-13

I started at 31.

Jeffw-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 04:20 PM
DGraf

Starting up this fall myself. I'm only 19 though, but know a few stories of old guys learning it no problem. I play street hockey often like you so that should help.

Mostly gotta emphasize on skating. I am enrolled in an adult beginner power skating class this semester and hoping to get into beginner shinny stuff the semester after that. I can already skate fine, but not a pro at backwards or crossovers.

Lots of people are in our boat though, so no worries .

DGraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Mokoma

The key thing with skating is balance. If you haven't been a complete couch potatoe for your whole life you shouldn't have any problems. It can take some time to find your balance and get the skating in your muscle memory though.

Mokoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 04:28 PM
dbbourn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
It's never too late. I started in my first year of grad school (age 21) and was playing collegiate club varsity four years later.

People who start late have one big advantage - they still have passion for the sport. A lot of people who started as kids get burned out from all of the activities.
I have a similar story. I started 7 years ago when I was 22 and can't get enough of it. My father just started and he is in his mid-50's.

It is never too late, unless it is physically impossible. There are leagues around for most experience levels.

dbbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 04:58 PM
DGraf

I thing to keep in mind when your trying out a new sport. Keep an open mind and don't mind looking somewhat clumsy. I find people are more than helpful trying to get new people into their sport.

It can be tough for small towners though. Where I am from there wasen't really enough new players to have a novice league going, and everyone in the upper echelons had been playing since kindergarden, be grateful you live in a big city! ( if you do ) One of the perks!

DGraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Soon as I saw this thread, It reminded me of this thread. Wonder why?

Not sure how your age compares to that of the guy in the other thread but you might find some helpful advice in there and certainly a lot of encouragement. Its never too late to start up, unless you will only accept being an NHL player. Which is unlikely. Get out there and get involved and enjoy the game, whatever level you play it at.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 06:00 PM
hfgreg
Obviously...

It's never too late to play in a beginner league, which even though you've played street hockey is where you'd have to be because you haven't skated, it probably is too late for you to play on an advanced or even and intermediate squad.. although you may be young and still have that luxury.

hfgreg is offline   Reply With Quote