HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Prospect stuff

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2003, 11:51 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Prospect stuff

Just some small randome stuff.

Gratton now leads the AHL in scoring by 1 pt, but has missed 2 games so far.

Lambert is now 2nd in the Q in scoring, but 12 pts behind some kid named Crobsy (never heard of him )

Christain Larrivee scored his first professional goal last night, a 2pt night (team only scored 2 goals) now has 5 pts, on a bad team.

Kastsitsyn has played in 3 of the last 4 games for CSKA, but has no points in those games. (team was SO last game 0-3)

Ryan O'Byrne has played in all 5 of Cornell's games, but hasn't gotten a pt yet. Of the 3 freshmen defensemen, the other 2 combinded have only played 5 games, so O'Byrne has somehow stayed in the lineup. (I get to see him next month)

Halak has the best numbers in save % and gaa in the Slovak junior league.

Lindberg plays on a very bad team. They have only 1 win so far in 20 or so games and get outshot by a ton. Lindberg has the only win on the team. I bet he's wishing his team didn't loan him out, as his team (Hammerby) is in first and seem to be dominating the league (Eneqvist is on that team).

Locke, Lambert and Urquhart will take place in the Remax games which start Monday. Locke will play for Team OHL and Lambert/Urquhart for Team QMJHL. The Q coach will be the coach of Team Canada, so it's a good chance to impress.

Korneev won't play in the Remax games, he's been named to the Senior National Team (like Perezhogin was last year) although I don't think he scored any pts in the recent tournament in Finland. (I think there's one more tournament this year, Baltic Cup)

Andrew Archer is still injured, no word on his return.

Old
11-15-2003, 12:30 PM
plafleur10

Great stuff

Thanks for the info.

BTW, " while I generally suscribe to the "taking the best talent available when your turn comes", this is one year where I really feel the Habs should have gone for filling their hole at power forward (which has been haunting them for some 20 years!)with talents such as Steve Bernier and Anthony Stewart available, heck they could even have gotten 2 of these guys, by trading a little down in the first round and then used their 2 second rounders and instead they draft another soft european (sick and enigmatic to boot) and taller but soft Urquart in the 2nd round.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Old
11-15-2003, 05:18 PM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
Thanks for the info.

BTW, " while I generally suscribe to the "taking the best talent available when your turn comes", this is one year where I really feel the Habs should have gone for filling their hole at power forward (which has been haunting them for some 20 years!)with talents such as Steve Bernier and Anthony Stewart available, heck they could even have gotten 2 of these guys, by trading a little down in the first round and then used their 2 second rounders and instead they draft another soft european (sick and enigmatic to boot) and taller but soft Urquart in the 2nd round.

I disagree.
Yes, they are lacking a powerforward, but they were also lacking pure offensive talent. Seems to me like they addressed one of the problems. Wait and see what happens at this year's draft. Yea, it's quite a while away, but they may just go after that power forward this year.

Old
11-15-2003, 05:54 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Yes,but don't forget that Power Forward are risky pick,do we really want an other Matt Higgins or somethin else?? I think Habs management take the best decision when they take Kastsytsin,becasue he was the best player available

Old
11-15-2003, 06:23 PM
habsfan11

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Drafting anthony stewart would not have helped the habs right now, it takes up to 4 years for one to really develope....look at kilger or ward ... they were both taken a lot higher then stewart and both of them have yet to develope.

You always draft the best player available at your position. In our case, that kasistyn. If we need imidiate help then gainey could have signed a free agent or traded for a power forward

Old
11-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Drunk World Order

Hey Montreal...

Very good update...keep up the great work!!!

Can I get some info on Andre Deveaux? ...last time I looked he was averaging a point a game...how do you like his overall game?

And what do you know abou Jimmy Bonneau...I hear he's top 3 enforcer in the Q?...will he be the habs future enforcer?

Old
11-15-2003, 09:12 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
I never saw him play but i really like Halak , good late pick by Savard and co .

Old
11-15-2003, 09:29 PM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Lindberg is going to be getting good experience. He'll be playing on a bad team after playing for a #1 team.

If he lasts it'll do wonders for his confidence and his mental game.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:39 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk World Order
Very good update...keep up the great work!!!

Can I get some info on Andre Deveaux? ...last time I looked he was averaging a point a game...how do you like his overall game?

And what do you know abou Jimmy Bonneau...I hear he's top 3 enforcer in the Q?...will he be the habs future enforcer?

Well I have yet to see his progress this season, but hopefully I can get to see him play at some point this season. He's a prospect that goes unnoticed, as he's still very raw. But stats wise, he's been impressive. What really sticks out to me, is last year he was a -21 (mostly due to his days in Bellville) but this year he leads his team with a +11. I know this is one of Owen Sounds better teams in some time, but the next closest player is a +6. Also Deveaux is 2nd on the team in goals (10) and points (20). He has been kicked out of a few games (2 or 3) but as one of the top players on the team (he should be he's 19) he is an important part of the team. In talking with some Owen Sound fans, Deveaux has been really good in the faceoff circle, winning important draws.

He needs to be signed by June 1st or he reenters the draft. Sign him, send him to Hamilton next year.

Jimmy Bonneau is indeed a very good fighter, one of the tops in the Q, and will be even better next year. But he's got a long way to go. He hasn't much skill outside of fighting. I plan on going to see some Rocket games if possible this season, so I'll know more, but he's very very raw, I don't see him in the NHL unless he can improve in a lot of areas.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:48 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
I never saw him play but i really like Halak , good late pick by Savard and co .

I haven't seen Halak either, but for being picked 271st overall, wow is he looking good. He's got some insane numbers going for him, but I know little about the Slovak junior league or his team SBA. But he also played well for the U-20 Team Slovakia in a recent tournament, so that's good for him as well. Hopefully next year he can make the Mens league.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:52 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisebois
Lindberg is going to be getting good experience. He'll be playing on a bad team after playing for a #1 team.

If he lasts it'll do wonders for his confidence and his mental game.

The good news is he's facing a ton of shots. His numbers are brutal but he's seeing a lot of action as the starter, and hopefully he can work on his game while being shelled on a regular basis.

Old
11-16-2003, 11:40 AM
KnuklZ

Thanks montreal for the update.

Just wondering if you know how Linhart is doing in the mens league over in Europe. I remember you indicated that he was splitting time between the mens and junior teams, has his situation changed since your last update?

I am still hoping that he will develop into a solid stay-at-home defenseman and lives up to his potential.

Old
11-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
He's got some insane numbers going for him,
yeah that 94.58 save % impress me a lot .

Old
11-16-2003, 11:51 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuklZ
Thanks montreal for the update.

Just wondering if you know how Linhart is doing in the mens league over in Europe. I remember you indicated that he was splitting time between the mens and junior teams, has his situation changed since your last update?

I am still hoping that he will develop into a solid stay-at-home defenseman and lives up to his potential.

Yes he is still splitting time between the mens team and the junior team. He's played more for the mens team, and he recently played for the U-20 Team Czech in a recent tournament. I know he had 1 assist, but I will be doing a prospect report later tonight or tomorrow, so I'll look it then. It would be great if he could make the WJC team, but playing in the Mens Div 1 is a good place for him. Plus he doesn't need to be signed, so he can stay over there for a few years.

Old
11-16-2003, 11:52 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
yeah that 94.58 save % impress me a lot .

As of today, it's 93.75% with a 1.83 gaa both the tops in the league.

Old
11-16-2003, 12:00 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

the team site is nice , all 3 teams are there ....

Juniori Slovan is 2nd in the league

Didn't find any pics of Halak ( his name is not even linked to his bio ) , i was looking for a new avatar

Old
11-16-2003, 12:01 PM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Yes he is still splitting time between the mens team and the junior team. He's played more for the mens team, and he recently played for the U-20 Team Czech in a recent tournament. I know he had 1 assist, but I will be doing a prospect report later tonight or tomorrow, so I'll look it then. It would be great if he could make the WJC team, but playing in the Mens Div 1 is a good place for him. Plus he doesn't need to be signed, so he can stay over there for a few years.
Thanks. If he gets quality ice-time over there and keeps on improving I really hope that he can make the jump over to the AHL/NHL in a few years. People call him a bust as a 2nd round pick but after all he is a 19 year old prospect playing in a mens league.

Montreal, in his first assesment he was said to have good size but needed to improve his speed and work on his positional play. Do you know if he has improved/worked on any of his weeknesses?

Old
11-16-2003, 12:01 PM
Craig52Rivet

I saw Ryan O'Byrne play on Friday night against Colgate... I'm a Cornell grad and I live in the area so I'll get to see him sometimes (though getting tickets to CU home game is like pulling teeth). He looked good; nothing too flashy, but he was solid all game and calm & smart with the puck and not afraid to use his size (he's a big 6-4 or 6-5). Reminded me a little bit of Sheldon Souray on the habs now. Only downside in that game was he took a roughing penalty in OT, though I didn't think it was a great call.

Old
11-16-2003, 12:14 PM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig52Rivet
I saw Ryan O'Byrne play on Friday night against Colgate... I'm a Cornell grad and I live in the area so I'll get to see him sometimes (though getting tickets to CU home game is like pulling teeth). He looked good; nothing too flashy, but he was solid all game and calm & smart with the puck and not afraid to use his size (he's a big 6-4 or 6-5). Reminded me a little bit of Sheldon Souray on the habs now. Only downside in that game was he took a roughing penalty in OT, though I didn't think it was a great call.
what about his mobility? being 6-5 is great but if my grandma can outskate him then his 6-5 wont be of much use

Old
11-16-2003, 12:24 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuklZ
Thanks. If he gets quality ice-time over there and keeps on improving I really hope that he can make the jump over to the AHL/NHL in a few years. People call him a bust as a 2nd round pick but after all he is a 19 year old prospect playing in a mens league.

Montreal, in his first assesment he was said to have good size but needed to improve his speed and work on his positional play. Do you know if he has improved/worked on any of his weeknesses?

I can't say the only way I'll get to see him this year is if he plays in the WJC's.

Old
11-16-2003, 12:28 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig52Rivet

Was that 2 weeks ago? I thought they played Clarkson friday night, which I heard was a good game. I hear that O'Byrne doesn't play much though, I guess on the 3rd pairing? I'll get to see him next month, on CSTV for 2 or games, but I've been following Cornell season and they are looking good. I was worried that the loss of some key players would hurt. Too bad LeNeauv had to sign.

Old
11-16-2003, 12:32 PM
habitants9_4

So what players do you think will play in the WJC as Habs prospects. That is one of my favorite parts about christmas!

Old
11-16-2003, 12:36 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4
So what players do you think will play in the WJC as Habs prospects. That is one of my favorite parts about christmas!
Korneev, Korpikari, will play Kastsitsyn should play.

Locke, Linhart, Halak, Urquhart, Lambert all have a shot but unknown.

Old
11-16-2003, 12:40 PM
Craig52Rivet

Quote:
Was that 2 weeks ago? I thought they played Clarkson friday night, which I heard was a good game. I hear that O'Byrne doesn't play much though, I guess on the 3rd pairing? I'll get to see him next month, on CSTV for 2 or games, but I've been following Cornell season and they are looking good. I was worried that the loss of some key players would hurt. Too bad LeNeauv had to sign.
You're right... I'm an idiot, it was Clarkson. I always confuse Colgate and Clarkson (CU always means Cornell to me, but they both also lay claim to the same acronym). And yeah, it was a good game. One of my favorite Cornell players, Greg Hornby, scored to tie it up. Gets even sweeter because Harvard got beat down this weekend....

Old
11-16-2003, 12:44 PM
KnuklZ

Quote:
I can't say the only way I'll get to see him this year is if he plays in the WJC's.
I sure hope he will play there and give us hope for the future....

Closed Thread