HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greetings from Iraq

Old
08-28-2006, 09:36 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Greetings from Iraq

Hey guys, hate to be off the topic, but I'm here in Iraq for a year, so It's going to suck not having MSG. There will be an 8-hour difference (I think) so I guess I can still follow the 7pm ET games on NHL radio at 3 or 4am. So I guess I will specifically request the overnight 6pm - 6am shift.

I haven't been really been able to follow to much because of the moving around, but I was wondering if you've heard any news about Staal getting a long look in camp. I mean, if he has an amazing camp, who gets bumped off?

Ward-Rachunek
Kaspar-Toots
Roszival-Malik
Pock-Staal-Purinton (just kidding)

How accurate is this

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Shanahan-Cullen-Prucha
Ward-Immonen-Hall
Hollweg-Betts/Dubinsky-Hossa?????

I'm confused...

Anyway, enjoy the season guys. My HN subscription is getting mailed to me, but it'll be about three weeks behind.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 10:22 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
Hey guys, hate to be off the topic, but I'm here in Iraq for a year, so It's going to suck not having MSG. There will be an 8-hour difference (I think) so I guess I can still follow the 7pm ET games on NHL radio at 3 or 4am. So I guess I will specifically request the overnight 6pm - 6am shift.

I haven't been really been able to follow to much because of the moving around, but I was wondering if you've heard any news about Staal getting a long look in camp. I mean, if he has an amazing camp, who gets bumped off?

Ward-Rachunek
Kaspar-Toots
Roszival-Malik

How accurate is this

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Shanahan-Cullen-Prucha
Ward-Immonen-Hall

I'm confused...

Anyway, enjoy the season guys. My HN subscription is getting mailed to me, but it'll be about three weeks behind.
Gee Darren I had no idea. Don't know if you're allowed to tell us what you're doing over there but one way or the other stay safe and I have to say that at least IMO you belong back here. Anyway your lineup for the most part seems on target. I really think Dubinsky plays in Hartford though at least at the start and that one or two of Helminen or Greg Moore or Dawes somehow are going to make the team. Pock has just re-signed and he might make it or Martin Richter. With Staal he's going to have to have a super training camp for sure. Baranka is also a long shot and you never know someone like Girardi might come out of nowhere. Anyway keep coming back so we can keep you updated and take care.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 11:02 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Ya and keep coming back so we know your Ok

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 11:54 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I agree with UAGoalieGuy. Keep posting and keep us updated.

Good luck and stay safe.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 12:04 PM
UAGoalieGuy

maybe sticky this thread so it always stays up there for him? Mods?

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Pizza

Very good idea. Stay safe and keep posting.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 04:48 PM
WestsideNYR

God bless you!

I hope all goes well for you and everyone your with. When you get back, contact me so I can take you to the play by play before a Ranger home game, a dinner on me. It's guys and gals like you why we are even able to enjoy and obssess over things like hockey! Let's Go Rangers!! !!!
-Scott, hollan1702@yahoo.com

WestsideNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 05:14 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I can see Staal having an impressive camp, but they might wait to bring him up later in the year or for an injury fill-in if necessary. I think one more year outside of the NHL will help him.

I can see Helminen, Dawes or Moore nabbing that last spot if they do what they need to do in camp, but i really think its Hossa and or Hollweg's job to lose. Without our buddy Orts there, it does make it more competitive.

Good luck out there dude.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 05:42 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Stay safe, please.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideNYR View Post
I hope all goes well for you and everyone your with. When you get back, contact me so I can take you to the play by play before a Ranger home game, a dinner on me. It's guys and gals like you why we are even able to enjoy and obssess over things like hockey! Let's Go Rangers!! !!!
-Scott, hollan1702@yahoo.com

Again, stay safe and thanks for all that you are doing.

I have a neighbor right across the street who just left for his 7th deployment to the middle east, 4th in Iraq. Watching him clean and pack his gear was very sobering. Watching how brave he and his family are is truly remarkable.

Old
08-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Transported Upstater

Keep your eyes and ears open, and watch yourself. Please be safe, and get back here as soon as you can.

We'll be thinking of you man. Good luck.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Much like everyone else has said, stay safe man.

Those lines look about right, there is still room (cap room) for tweaking if need be. Although I think they will stay close to what they are.

Best of luck.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 07:59 PM
shoothepuck

As a former Marine, all I can say is give 'em hell, keep your weapon clean and remember it's only 364 days and a wake-up.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Fletch

Be well Turcotte..

hope to see you in here during the season.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 08:21 PM
JerseyRangers

Like others before me have said - Keep your head down and stay safe! Keep posting to let us know how you are doing!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Phil333

Stay safe. Have you thought about someone at home picking up a Slingbox for you?

Phil333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 09:50 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post

Ward-Rachunek
Kaspar-Toots
Roszival-Malik

How accurate is this

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Shanahan-Cullen-Prucha
Ward-Immonen-Hall

I'm confused...

Hey man, stay safe over there and get home soon!!

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Pizza

I just wanted to get back on topic and pick up on another conversation that was happening in another thread.

I'm sure Staal will get a very long look at camp. Between the prospect tournament in Michigan, and the Rangers own camp and some pre-season, the Rangers should be able to satisfy themselves as to wheather or not Staal is ready for the NHL. At that point they might consider using him in the up to 10 games the NHL allow them to before making the final decision on if he goes back to juniors or not.

My point is that they have a pretty extensive evaluation period they will put him through. As we saying in another thread the one thing you can count on is that they will be careful and think it through. They do not want to rush this kid.

Old
08-29-2006, 12:28 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Thanks guys...

Really, I know I'm not a regular on these boards, and tend to be a little cynical (remember my Blackburn's a bust thread?)...But you guys have no idea how well informed you keep me about this team. Before I deployed, I was at the last game against the Devils and I have never witnessed a scene like that at MSG where the boys got a standing-O and a Let's Go Rangers chant while getting eliminated from the playoffs.

OK, enough of that.

I really don't understand the fascination with Pock. The handful of games I've seen of him in the NHL, he's been careless with the puck, hates turning his back towards the puck in the corners, never blocks shots and seems like he's on the ice observing plays instead of creating them.

We all saw what a healthy Pronger can do for a team. Now I'm not saying Staal is the next Pronger, but there are parallels to their games. We gave Leetch a shot right after the Olympics without spending any time in the minors.

Ward-Rachunek
Malik-Roszival
Kaspar-Toots
Staal

I know being the 7th might be detrimental (initially) to either his psyche or game, but injuries happen, and I would much rather see him being the fill-in with 12-16 mins a game here than 22 in HFD.

Old
08-29-2006, 12:39 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

one more thing...

...I'm an artillery officer with the 10th Mountain division and we are at Mahmoudiya North, which is south of Bagdhad. Very hairy, but not as stressful as watching Poti handle the puck. I'm serious too. My soldiers never piss me off to the point that Poti and Kamensky did. I guess it's safe to say that being a Ranger fan has prepared me for combat. I guess I'm enhancing this a little, but you guys catch my drift.

Once again, thanks a bunch for the support and LETS GO RANGERS (clap-clap-clap-clap-clap)....I'm going to miss JD

Old
08-29-2006, 01:03 AM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Stay safe, man.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 01:09 AM
Pizza

Set those trajectories proper and Give 'em hell boss. Keep posting and we'll keep you up to date.

Old
08-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Pizza

Also I'm with you on the whole Pock thing. I was not terribly surprised when they had not signed him. I only saw 2 or 3 games, but some posters like Calder over at Hockeybird saw Pock a bunch last year. His offensive output does not seem to make up for the kind of "D" lapses you refer to.

Old
08-29-2006, 01:52 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I wish you all the luck man. Your a real hero in the US. Hope to have you back in the US soon and back at the Garden so I can shake your hand. We will keep you updated.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 09:27 AM
True Blue

Enduring the last 8 years must have really toughened you up. Stay safe and get back soon.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote