HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which move got too much press....which move got too little...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-28-2006, 12:54 PM
  #1
IranCondraAffair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
Which move got too much press....which move got too little...

..in the Sens offseason.


Little: Schaefer, four years at a decent rate and very little mention of it.

Much: Corvo, so much money made everyone have an opinion.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 01:23 PM
  #2
The King of Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
I'm surprised at how little press the Gerber signing has garnered, since...

- he's a the position that has historically been the weakest for us
- he comes with his own question marks
- he's making Emery redundant

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 02:45 PM
  #3
discostu
Registered User
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nomadville
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,234
vCash: 500
I agree on the Corvo one. I don't think anyone is an enthusiastic supporter of that deal outside of Muckler. I think the emotion on it runs from skeptical, but, willing to wait-and-see, to downright hatred.

Every other deal, with the exception of the Redden over Chara signing has gotten little press, including the Havlat deal, I find. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. It's good that people in this city understand it's a fact of life under this CBA that you will lose talented players under this CBA, and, when you can get a lot of value back in return, it can be the best move for the franchise in the long term. I don't want management to throw these massive deals at players to prevent them from leaving for sentimental reasons, only to find the team completely handcuffed, and unable to improve the other parts of the team.

At the same time, I still dislike that we can cycle through our players without the fans really getting upset. Even if we understand, we should be a little upset that we won't get to see these players play for us anymore. In the last year, Sens fans have lost 3 of the most fascinating players to see on the ice in Chara, Havlat and Hossa. When the reaction is a calm acceptance, I find it means that the fans look at the team as a business above all else. It's a bit of innocence lost.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 02:46 PM
  #4
Don Draper
Registered User
 
Don Draper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ottawa
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Clancy View Post
I'm surprised at how little press the Gerber signing has garnered, since...

- he's a the position that has historically been the weakest for us
- he comes with his own question marks
- he's making Emery redundant

agreed, when he signed, it was at a time when we lost one of the best Senators ever, who was then replaced by the exact opposite type of player. Gerber himself ends up being a fairly unknown, even after his big year last year, and more people are concerned with the fallout with Hasek than Gerber himself.

He will be the true story this year, while Dean McAmmond was a bigger conversational piece due to the timing of his signing. Strange how things work out.

Don Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 02:53 PM
  #5
The Fuhr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I agree on the Corvo one. I don't think anyone is an enthusiastic supporter of that deal outside of Muckler. I think the emotion on it runs from skeptical, but, willing to wait-and-see, to downright hatred.
I have been a pretty enthusiastic supporter of that deal. Its awesome, Corvo could be a 50 point defenseman over the next 4 years at a modest cost of 2.5 million per season. Its an great deal from my vantage point

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 02:55 PM
  #6
Don Draper
Registered User
 
Don Draper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ottawa
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I agree on the Corvo one. I don't think anyone is an enthusiastic supporter of that deal outside of Muckler. I think the emotion on it runs from skeptical, but, willing to wait-and-see, to downright hatred.

Every other deal, with the exception of the Redden over Chara signing has gotten little press, including the Havlat deal, I find. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. It's good that people in this city understand it's a fact of life under this CBA that you will lose talented players under this CBA, and, when you can get a lot of value back in return, it can be the best move for the franchise in the long term. I don't want management to throw these massive deals at players to prevent them from leaving for sentimental reasons, only to find the team completely handcuffed, and unable to improve the other parts of the team.

At the same time, I still dislike that we can cycle through our players without the fans really getting upset. Even if we understand, we should be a little upset that we won't get to see these players play for us anymore. In the last year, Sens fans have lost 3 of the most fascinating players to see on the ice in Chara, Havlat and Hossa. When the reaction is a calm acceptance, I find it means that the fans look at the team as a business above all else. It's a bit of innocence lost.
Yes and no. I agree that the mindset has changed, but maybe thats a bonus instead of a negative. While the city hasnt been in much of an uproar over the loss of said players, I think they have come to view the team apart from the 'little brother' image that the media has cast on Ottawa. No longer are the guys on the ice the beginning of some great dynasty with a never-ending window. There will be more pressure to win for the guys on the ice, while the fans seem to realize that other replacements will be available if someone ends up leaving. If nothing else, it seems like a more advanced fan, not just a fan of that little team who may or may not go into bancruptcy at any point. Fans realize the team will be here for awhile, so the pressure to succeed is back on the players. Fans can relax, watch a game and follow the off-season knowing the team will be in fine shape no matter who leaves. There will always be replacements available as long as the current CBA is in place, and we keep our reliable owner.

Don Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 05:03 PM
  #7
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga
 
thinkwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
At the same time, I still dislike that we can cycle through our players without the fans really getting upset. Even if we understand, we should be a little upset that we won't get to see these players play for us anymore. In the last year, Sens fans have lost 3 of the most fascinating players to see on the ice in Chara, Havlat and Hossa. When the reaction is a calm acceptance, I find it means that the fans look at the team as a business above all else. It's a bit of innocence lost.
It's really fascinating discostu. I am struck by it. You might be the first i've seen address it.

I guess why would be upset at losing chara, hossa, havlat when melnyk made money. Our priorities are realigned properly. We're all just cheering for the laundry now as Seinfeld said. Just like the NFL. Caveat emptor.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 05:13 PM
  #8
Jennifer 19
Registered User
 
Jennifer 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Melbourne
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
When the reaction is a calm acceptance, I find it means that the fans look at the team as a business above all else. It's a bit of innocence lost.

I didn't calmly accept it...! Then again, I'm in the minority ( and looked down upon sometimes because of my emotional attachments).

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 05:17 PM
  #9
The Fuhr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
It's really fascinating discostu. I am struck by it. You might be the first i've seen address it.

I guess why would be upset at losing chara, hossa, havlat when melnyk made money. Our priorities are realigned properly. We're all just cheering for the laundry now as Seinfeld said. Just like the NFL. Caveat emptor.
We spent close to max on the cap. Theres nothing that could be done regarding Chara,Hossa, and Havlat. We simply could not afford them. I find it hard to get upset when there is nothing that could be done. This is the economic realiity of the new NHL.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 05:17 PM
  #10
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Clancy View Post
I'm surprised at how little press the Gerber signing has garnered, since...

- he's a the position that has historically been the weakest for us
- he comes with his own question marks
- he's making Emery redundant
I think the less fanfare the Gerber signing has, the better. As for his own question marks, I don't think he really comes with any question marks. His play in the opening round of the playoffs has been clearly documented as illness in that he lost ten pounds in a couple of days. Not much can be done about that.

I'd also say this. Hasek had a simple groin strain that should have healed within a month to six weeks. When you consider that he was out for mid-February, March, and April, that's a good 12 weeks right there. Hasek just brought too much drama with him that was ultimately detrimental to the team.

Gerber is a dynamite additon that comes with little fanfare and more important, little drama.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 05:41 PM
  #11
DEATHtrap
Registered User
 
DEATHtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I think the less fanfare the Gerber signing has, the better. As for his own question marks, I don't think he really comes with any question marks. His play in the opening round of the playoffs has been clearly documented as illness in that he lost ten pounds in a couple of days. Not much can be done about that.

I'd also say this. Hasek had a simple groin strain that should have healed within a month to six weeks. When you consider that he was out for mid-February, March, and April, that's a good 12 weeks right there. Hasek just brought too much drama with him that was ultimately detrimental to the team.

Gerber is a dynamite additon that comes with little fanfare and more important, little drama.
Very well said. Gerber very quietly had a tremendous regular season last year, despite his teams aggressive forechecking style that left him out to dry several times a game.

Injuries aside, I expect the Gerber signing to gain more collective appreciation as season goes along. If not, we sens fans are in for a long season.

DEATHtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 05:46 PM
  #12
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga
 
thinkwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
We spent close to max on the cap. Theres nothing that could be done regarding Chara,Hossa, and Havlat. We simply could not afford them. I find it hard to get upset when there is nothing that could be done. This is the economic realiity of the new NHL.
Well exactly. Is that the way you pictured it turning out beforehand? One of our biggest fears was losing Chara,Hossa, and Havlat as UFAs when they were 31 for $10mil to a big market team like Boston or Chicago. A salary cap was deemed the fix.

But now, fans seem to view things differently. You certainly wouldnt have typed what you just did 2 years ago for instance.

And I agree that Gerber feels like a big signing to me that is being downplayed a bit

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 05:54 PM
  #13
DEATHtrap
Registered User
 
DEATHtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,444
vCash: 500
I for one like the Corvo signing. Admittedly it is a boom or bust signing that my be the death knell of Muckler's tenure in Ottawa. But from the little I have seen, Corvo has an impressive offensive skill set. Our group of forwards combined with tentative D partner Redden should give Corvo a lot of room to operate in the offensive zone. It should be interesting to watch unfold, but I think he will do real well.

DEATHtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 05:59 PM
  #14
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Clancy View Post
I'm surprised at how little press the Gerber signing has garnered, since...

- he's a the position that has historically been the weakest for us
- he comes with his own question marks
- he's making Emery redundant
Emery made himself redundant.

I dont see many question marks with Gerber. I think it was a great signing. Best UFA goalie on the market.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 06:06 PM
  #15
The Fuhr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
Well exactly. Is that the way you pictured it turning out beforehand? One of our biggest fears was losing Chara,Hossa, and Havlat as UFAs when they were 31 for $10mil to a big market team like Boston or Chicago. A salary cap was deemed the fix.

But now, fans seem to view things differently. You certainly wouldnt have typed what you just did 2 years ago for instance.

And I agree that Gerber feels like a big signing to me that is being downplayed a bit
I dont think we could have afforded them anyways if we held there rights until they were 31 unless Melnyk spent close to 55 million dollars.

We got Heatley for Hossa, no complaint from me
We got Corvo and Gerber + cap space for Chara. Again no complaints.
We got Preissing,Hennessy and Barinka + cap space for Havlat.

We made out pretty good with the loss of those three players.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 06:33 PM
  #16
IranCondraAffair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
I really didn't want this to become another Corvo discussion, but since it's already started I guess I can wade in....



Some points:

I know I've mentioned it before, but for a guy who has such a bad rap for taking penalties he only took 38 PM in 81 games. Chara? 138 PM in 71 games. Hell, Norton had 31 and he was only on the roster for 7 games.

He had the same ammount fo GWG as Chara.....but played ten less minutes, and on a worse powerplay.

He had a similar +/- to Chara despite playing with worse goaltending and worse offensive support. Kings fans will say he didn't play against the best oposition lines but he couldn't have been shielded completely. Also, Chara always had more defensive help from his fowards, played more time on the ice, and was equally shielded by having other quality defensemen to support him.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 11:54 PM
  #17
RTWAP*
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thug Life
Country: US Virgin Islands
Posts: 6,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe View Post
I really didn't want this to become another Corvo discussion, but since it's already started I guess I can wade in....
I just hope Muckler has a better handle on this LA UFA signing than the last trade we did with LA.

Remember Bryan "excellent at face-offs" Smolinksi? Mr. 47.9%? Who turns it up in the playoffs to a dominating 49.2%?

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 12:12 AM
  #18
The Fuhr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
I just hope Muckler has a better handle on this LA UFA signing than the last trade we did with LA.

Remember Bryan "excellent at face-offs" Smolinksi? Mr. 47.9%? Who turns it up in the playoffs to a dominating 49.2%?
Let me remind you the two season before we got him Mr Smolinski was praised for his shadow work in the playoffs. He came in to Ottawa and recorded 2 goals and 9 points in 18 games. We got him for a prospect that planned to re-enter the draft. I dont see how one could complain.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 01:46 AM
  #19
RTWAP*
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thug Life
Country: US Virgin Islands
Posts: 6,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Let me remind you the two season before we got him Mr Smolinski was praised for his shadow work in the playoffs. He came in to Ottawa and recorded 2 goals and 9 points in 18 games. We got him for a prospect that planned to re-enter the draft. I dont see how one could complain.
I'm not complaining about the trade. I'm complaining about the faulty reasoning given for the trade. Muckler claimed at the time that one of the reasons for acquiring Smolinski was his very good faceoff skills. He's not terrible, but he's below average.

This was at a time when less offensively talented teams were destroying us in the faceoffs. It seemed like whenever Ottawa applied sustained pressure, the other team would just ice the puck and then win the resulting faceoff. It was a very real skill gap, and we addressed it by picking up someone who is below average in FO%.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 07:31 AM
  #20
The Fuhr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
I'm not complaining about the trade. I'm complaining about the faulty reasoning given for the trade. Muckler claimed at the time that one of the reasons for acquiring Smolinski was his very good faceoff skills. He's not terrible, but he's below average.

This was at a time when less offensively talented teams were destroying us in the faceoffs. It seemed like whenever Ottawa applied sustained pressure, the other team would just ice the puck and then win the resulting faceoff. It was a very real skill gap, and we addressed it by picking up someone who is below average in FO%.
I think FO% was more of a Jaques Martan thing. It seems everyones FO skills rose when Bryan Murray was brought in, Smolinski was 50% this year.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.