Notices

Why Pouliot?

Old
08-28-2006, 11:36 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Why Pouliot?

I'm curious as to why everyone is high on the kid. He has taken stupid penalities, has stalled in his progress (he should have dominated the OHL with his size and speed) and seems really immature. A handful of prospects from the 2005 draft have really improved their stock but Pouliot has slipped down. He has the potential but the problem is, will he ever get there?

I'm kind of tired of this man-crush the Wild fans have on this guy. He needs a few years in the AHL before we can ever consider him a top-flight prospect. Right now, yes he has the POTENTIAL to be better than Patty O, but currently, he has nowhere the ABILITY of O'Sullivan. If Pouliot disappoints in the AHL, I won't be surprised.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 11:39 PM
NashisCash

No one is THAT high on him. Personally, I think the attitude problems may be overblown, and a bit of a coverup for his poor season. He is a fabulous fabulous skater, and does have a pretty good shot, but IMO his playmaking and hockey sense aren't where they should be for a #4 overall pick. He'll need some seasoning, but he does have the potential to become a valuable player, a 30-30 guy maybe, I just don't see him owning top flight scoring potential.

NashisCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 11:54 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Everyone else thinks he can make the team right out of camp. Or most of the fans on the Wild board.

Old
08-29-2006, 12:40 AM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
why do you hate the kid so much?

Do you consider Nathan Horton a bust to because he put up pretty much the same amount of points as Pouliot in his 2 ohl seasons. he had a good rookie season.

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Chrisd

madhatter just likes to stir the drink..

carry on.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 01:36 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 View Post

Do you consider Nathan Horton a bust to because he put up pretty much the same amount of points as Pouliot in his 2 ohl seasons. he had a good rookie season.
But from what I understand Horton is a power forward, Pouliot is not. I don't hate the kid BUT I don't understand why everyone thinks he's a sure shot NHLer.

Old
08-29-2006, 02:15 AM
Chrisd

no draft pick is a sure fire nhl'r not even a top 5 pick...

give the kid more then a year before freaking out over the pick and starting the could be bust talk.

He's 6"3, fast with a good shot and the coaches were very impressed with him last year. Sure he needs to work on some things, like 98% of prospects his age.

Old
08-29-2006, 02:22 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
Everyone else thinks he can make the team right out of camp. Or most of the fans on the Wild board.
Perfect example of why I don't waste my time posting there any more. There are some good hockey people over there, but they're drowned out by a silly, noisy clique of people who don't know diddly about the game. It's like being in 6th grade all over again.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 02:55 AM
Chrisd

He probably would of made the team out of camp, if parrish, demitra were not brought in...

As it stands now it will be tough, possible, but very tough.

I'll tell you one thing, I'd feel more comfortable with him learning the nhl game this year then with stephanie veilleux or even pascal dupuis.

That said i want him to play 1 year of AHL then come to the wild.

Old
08-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Voloschenko has earned his place at the table ahead of Pouliot. Let him pay his dues in the AHL.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 08:42 AM
RUSqueelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 View Post

No he didn't. Horton played in the OHL as a 16, 17 year old then jumped to the NHL. Pouliot played in the OHL as 17/half year old and 18/half year old (cause he has a late birthday). Bad comparision.

Pouliot is a boom or bust. Hopefully he somehow gets the work ethic and determination to succeed and live up to his potential.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 10:03 AM
ceber

The only time I've seen Pouliot was in preseason NHL games. He didn't look out of place and showed some talent. I'm not sure why people getting psyched about him would be any different than people getting psyched about other unproven prospects. It's pretty rare to have a guy who has no flaws. That's where the "develop" portion of "draft and develop" becomes important.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Kitsune

The reason why he did so poorly in Sudbury last year was because he gave zero effort...

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 12:01 PM
The Big E

There is absolutely no reason to rush Pouliot as we've got plenty of firepower and, as Bookman mentioned on this post (and others have mentioned countless times on other threads), Voloshenko deserves his chance. Pouliot will play this season in the AHL. He'll learn to bring the kind of game that Lemaire and Risebrough want on a nightly basis. Its possible that he'll get a call-up at some point this season, but that depends upon his play in Houston.

His play in the OHL is now irrelevant. What he does in the AHL is what matters. He needs to elevate his game (as any prospect must) to prove he's NHL material. Are we Wild fans excited about Pouliot's future? Sure, of course, why not? The raw skill and speed seem pretty good and he did look comfortable skating with adults in training camp. It's that next step that matters now.

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
The reason why he did so poorly in Sudbury last year was because he gave zero effort...
What, did he just lay there on the ice like a dead carcass?

It would be nice if you could explain in a little more detail. Thanks in adavnce.

Last edited by Wild Bill: 08-30-2006 at 04:18 AM.
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 02:27 PM
DWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big E View Post
There is absolutely no reason to rush Pouliot as we've got plenty of firepower and, as Bookman mentioned on this post (and others have mentioned countless times on other threads), Voloshenko deserves his chance. Pouliot will play this season in the AHL. He'll learn to bring the kind of game that Lemaire and Risebrough want on a nightly basis. Its possible that he'll get a call-up at some point this season, but that depends upon his play in Houston.

His play in the OHL is now irrelevant. What he does in the AHL is what matters. He needs to elevate his game (as any prospect must) to prove he's NHL material. Are we Wild fans excited about Pouliot's future? Sure, of course, why not? The raw skill and speed seem pretty good and he did look comfortable skating with adults in training camp. It's that next step that matters now.

The Big E

The Big E,

I think your points are well taken. We in Houston saw him take some shifts in the playoffs in a couple of games last year. He did little to impress me. But he did little to make me think he wasn't a legit prospect.

Here's my beef, what should he or any other player with his billing need to prove at the AHL level?

Isn't it possible that he could be assigned here and, "on paper", look like he isn't being successful. What if he is only put into situations that make him work on his weaknesses. Wouldn't that tend to make a player look like he is struggling?

This is what bothers me about trying to assess players at the AHL level. I think Koivu is the best most recent example of this. He played in multiple situations as an Aero for the purpose of getting him used to the North American rinks and the style of play he will face in the NHL. He did rather well as an Aero. He was, by far, the best all around player on the squad. But he also looked, at times, like he was struggling.

I think the Aeros tried to do the same with O'Sullivan as the season wore on. Later in the year, he played some significant minutes on the penalty kill. But this is where I find fault with O'Sullivan. Despite being put in situations where his offensive skills couldn't shine, he did not push himself. For instance, on the PK, he spent way to much time in the nuetral zone looking th cherry pick and pick up a shorty. He was a defensive liability for the most part. Not because he was put into unfamilar unconfortable situations but because he did not put out the effort when it would not likely lead to points on his individual totals.

So, if Pouloit should come to Houston, what is the purpose: to work on his weaknesses or to make him comfortable with the pro game? In the first case, he could look like he is struggling. In the second case, he could look like he needs to be called up.

I point back to O'Sullivan. Had he been put more into a developmental mode and been given a directive to work on his overall game, his offensive numbers might have suffered. But it's my opinion that he wasn't pushed or that he was pushed but played soft despite his coach's wishes. Whatever the case, he became a trade pawn. His offensive prowess made him in demand. But he did not further his abilties as a more complete two-way player.

I think highly touted prospects that end up playing in the AHL should be handled carefully. All to often, the wrong perception of their development takes hold. I don't want Pouloit to come to Houston just to re-enforce his god-given talents. If the Wild have him in their long-term plans, he needs to be challenged to improve in areas where he is weak. If coming to Houston is mostly to boost a young ego by compiling huge offensive numbers is the goal, I would rather he make the NHL roster and pitch in on the occasional shift here or there.

But these are just my opinions,

DWP

DWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 06:29 PM
bcimright

I've never really been 'high' on the kid. I would rather wait to form an opinion of him I guess, and see him in more than just a few pre-season games to formulate any sort of a lasting opinion. I saw him in houston a few times, too but I still would rather wait to see him play consistently before I say in writing that I think he's great, awesome, a total bust, etc. I will say, however, that some people get blinded by draft number, and they think that the higher the number, the better the player, the more guaranteed they are to do good. which sounds rather simplistic but I've actually heard people in real life say that Pouliot is better than Sully because he was drafted at a higher number. I definately disagree with that theory, however.

bcimright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 07:28 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

from the article on him a while back sounds like he's got his mind right, added some bulk, and is ready to go.

I think he was bored and unchallenged in sudbury last year, although I guess he came out like gangbusters in the playoffs.

He has as good a shot as anyone to make the team out of camp this year.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 01:25 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
I don't see hwo someone who was the leading goal scorer for the team and 2nd in points can be labeled as giving zero effort

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Alison

Has everyone ever encountered the frustration of watching the most talented useless person you have ever seen? That is what Wolves fans have encountered with Pouliot over the past two years. He drifts and floats around and all of a sudden it's like a light comes on and he goes and scores a goal. This kid has got it in him, perhaps he thought he was too good for the OHL to over do it, but he should have taken a page from Marc Staal's book and worked as hard as possible to put the team at a better advantage come playoffs. He did have a great knack for taking stupid penalties at the wrong time last year. Minute left in the game down by a goal ready to pull the goalie you could always count on good ol' Benny to take a roughing or an elbow or something needless. Comes back from training camp last year to score a hat trick, man has he got some good moves, but his attitude does stink. Wearing the letter but all he ever talked to the ref about was his penalties, he did not come across as a team player, more concerned about his hair style than the team. I hope he pans out in Minny cause this kid has the potential, but they should have traded Pouliot instead of O'Sullivan.

Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Danny30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
Has everyone ever encountered the frustration of watching the most talented useless person you have ever seen?
Barry Tallackson, University of Minnesota for 4 years. I know the feeling.

Danny30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 11:51 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
I've been hearing about his inconsistency for some time now. Perhaps Pouliot wasn't challenged enough? I think similar things were said about Lecavalier in his first few years in the NHL.

Also, I heard that his father passed away a couple of years ago. Maybe this has adversely effected his attitude? (teamwork, bad penalties, etc).

Whatever he's done in the past his immediate future will be determined soley on how strong he perfoms in camp this year. If JL wants him on the roster they will make a spot for him regardless.
And, I think it's very possible he could play very well in camp.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 03:35 AM
TheFinalWord

Pouliot hasn't dominated at either the OHL or Junior B level. He shows flashes, but that's it. I hope he works out as he played for the hometown boys, but I would be willing to bet that he's more bust than anything.

If you notice, fans of OHL teams tend to pump up their players. If Minny fans notice, this doesn't seem to be the case with Pouliot. There's a reason for that.

Ask any Sudbury fan how they feel about Staal and see what you get.

TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 04:05 AM
Chrisd

I love how everyone is on the he will be a bust bandwagon...

I'm not saying he will be a star or anything...but i find it hilarious.

If he turns out to be a good player, lots of people will be eating crow around here.

95% already have him as a flop...good stuff, only at HF.

Old
08-31-2006, 09:19 AM
NashisCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
I love how everyone is on the he will be a bust bandwagon...

I'm not saying he will be a star or anything...but i find it hilarious.

If he turns out to be a good player, lots of people will be eating crow around here.

95% already have him as a flop...good stuff, only at HF.
No one said he WILL be a bust. But he is looking more like bust than elite forward right now. His play last year was lazy and disinterested, even at the World Juniors. Not a good thing for a guy who was admittedly a bit of a project.

Yeah, a lot of people may be eating crow, but if he turns out to be a bust, a lot of people will have been right. Good stuff.

NashisCash is offline   Reply With Quote