HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmonton's Defense is underrated

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2003, 05:40 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
Edmonton's Defense

I've been reading all this talk about the Oilers needing another defensemen in all the trade talk. I really question this. I think we have an excellent top six right now, that could turn into one of the best in the league.

Brewer is capable of becoming of an excellent #1 defensemen in this league. He did struggle early this year, but on the most recent roadtrip he's started returning to form. Brewer has the chance to become one of the best defensemen in the league.

Jason Smith is a solid, hard hitting leader that plays hard everynight. A solid 3/4 defender.

Steve Staois is an excellent defensemen. He's been solid for the Oiler's ever since they signed him. Makes the smart plays and has a decent offensive touch as well. Staois is very underated throughout the league.

Alexei Semenov is another young defensemen that has all the tools to become a star in this league. He's big, he plays aggressive, is an excellent skater(2nd fastest on the Oilers), has a booming shot. He just 22, he has alot of time to do that. When he puts it all together, he will be one hell of a dman. Maybe even better than Eric Brewer.

Marc-Andre Bergeron is another young defensemen that will look good as a 5th/6th offensive dman. Excellent offensive awareness (110pts in his last year in junior) and pretty underated defensively (led AHL in plus/minus last year, plus/minus is good with Oilers this year as well). This kid will be good.

Cory Cross: a solid 4th/5th defensemen. Always makes the right play. Steady, solid, always has a good plus/minus. Definitely underrated by almost everyone.

I think those guys would be an excellent top 6. If only MacT would sit ferguson so Bergeron and Semenov could both draw into the lineup.

Old
11-15-2003, 05:53 PM
zamboni

Yeah, the Oilers are only 2nd last in the league in GA. Talk about underrated

Old
11-15-2003, 05:54 PM
momentai

A lot of those guys are really inexperienced at their particular role though. Brewer needs to play a #1 every nights but he's been inconsistent. It is Bergy's first year in the league. And Semenov sitting in the pressbox for most of the season is certainly not something he's been accustomed to.

I like this team but we need another dman definitely. Especially given the fact that we could lose Staios after this season... possibly Jason Smith as well. Where does that leave our defensive depth especially in experience? That's the problem that Oiler fans see at the moment.

Old
11-15-2003, 06:19 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
A lot of those guys are really inexperienced at their particular role though. Brewer needs to play a #1 every nights but he's been inconsistent. It is Bergy's first year in the league. And Semenov sitting in the pressbox for most of the season is certainly not something he's been accustomed to.

I like this team but we need another dman definitely. Especially given the fact that we could lose Staios after this season... possibly Jason Smith as well. Where does that leave our defensive depth especially in experience? That's the problem that Oiler fans see at the moment.
I'll tend to disagree. I think the foundation for excellent defense is in place in Edmonton. It's my belief that Staois will stay in Edmonton if he receives a solid offer from K.Lowe. I can see no reason why Lowe will not offer staois that type of contract.

I think it's time that we let this team grow and see where it goes.

We have alot of solid young players. Let's let them play and see what happens.

Closed Thread