HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmonton's Future Defense

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2003, 06:23 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
Edmonton's Future Defense

I've been reading all this talk about the Oilers needing another defensemen in all the trade talk. I really question this. I think we have an excellent top six right now, that could turn into one of the best in the league.

Brewer is capable of becoming of an excellent #1 defensemen in this league. He did struggle early this year, but on the most recent roadtrip he's started returning to form. Brewer has the chance to become one of the best defensemen in the league.

Jason Smith is a solid, hard hitting leader that plays hard everynight. A solid 3/4 defender.

Steve Staois is an excellent defensemen. He's been solid for the Oiler's ever since they signed him. Makes the smart plays and has a decent offensive touch as well. Staois is very underated throughout the league.

Alexei Semenov is another young defensemen that has all the tools to become a star in this league. He's big, he plays aggressive, is an excellent skater(2nd fastest on the Oilers), has a booming shot. He just 22, he has alot of time to do that. When he puts it all together, he will be one hell of a dman. Maybe even better than Eric Brewer.

Marc-Andre Bergeron is another young defensemen that will look good as a 5th/6th offensive dman. Excellent offensive awareness (110pts in his last year in junior) and pretty underated defensively (led AHL in plus/minus last year, plus/minus is good with Oilers this year as well). This kid will be good.

Cory Cross: a solid 4th/5th defensemen. Always makes the right play. Steady, solid, always has a good plus/minus. Definitely underrated by almost everyone.

In response to the comments on losing Staois. I get that sense that Staois won't be going anywhere. He seems happy to be in Edmonton. I think if he gets a solid offer from K.Lowe, he will take it. I can see no reason why K.Lowe would not give Staois that offer.

I think those guys would be an excellent top 6. If only MacT would sit ferguson so Bergeron and Semenov could both draw into the lineup.

Old
11-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I've been reading all this talk about the Oilers needing another defensemen in all the trade talk. I really question this. I think we have an excellent top six right now, that could turn into one of the best in the league.

Brewer is capable of becoming of an excellent #1 defensemen in this league. He did struggle early this year, but on the most recent roadtrip he's started returning to form. Brewer has the chance to become one of the best defensemen in the league.

Jason Smith is a solid, hard hitting leader that plays hard everynight. A solid 3/4 defender.

Steve Staois is an excellent defensemen. He's been solid for the Oiler's ever since they signed him. Makes the smart plays and has a decent offensive touch as well. Staois is very underated throughout the league.

Alexei Semenov is another young defensemen that has all the tools to become a star in this league. He's big, he plays aggressive, is an excellent skater(2nd fastest on the Oilers), has a booming shot. He just 22, he has alot of time to do that. When he puts it all together, he will be one hell of a dman. Maybe even better than Eric Brewer.

Marc-Andre Bergeron is another young defensemen that will look good as a 5th/6th offensive dman. Excellent offensive awareness (110pts in his last year in junior) and pretty underated defensively (led AHL in plus/minus last year, plus/minus is good with Oilers this year as well). This kid will be good.

Cory Cross: a solid 4th/5th defensemen. Always makes the right play. Steady, solid, always has a good plus/minus. Definitely underrated by almost everyone.

In response to the comments on losing Staois. I get that sense that Staois won't be going anywhere. He seems happy to be in Edmonton. I think if he gets a solid offer from K.Lowe, he will take it. I can see no reason why K.Lowe would not give Staois that offer.

I think those guys would be an excellent top 6. If only MacT would sit ferguson so Bergeron and Semenov could both draw into the lineup.
It's an allright defense now, but Staios will be UFA at season end, Smith is getting up there as well, and Cross shouldn't be more than a #4 dman and thats giving him the benefit of the doubt and he's old, so he's not improving. And there just isn't much depth there IMO, Lynch looks good, and Greene could be, but still a wild card and 4 or so years away.

Old
11-15-2003, 07:22 PM
MrMackey

I like pretty much every Oiler on the team right now, but they do have some weaknesses, and IMO the defense corps is one... as to why, I think you answered your own question in what you wrote:

Essentially, Brewer has the capability to be a great #1, he's been playing more like it recently, but has gone through some brutal stretches this year and the prior 2 seasons... and in the end it would be a stretch to call him #1 worthy for this point in time.

Other than that, you've made a good case that there are a number of good #3-6 guys. If our defense is so great, we should have a solid #1 and #2.

But I like Semi and have high hopes for Lynch, so if Lowe can get another prospect for the blueline (Woywitka, Stuart, Coburn), I'll be pretty optimistic about the upcoming years.

EDIT: I realize Stuart isn't much of a prospect anymore, but his name's been mentioned, and he's still pretty young, so I threw him in there.

Old
11-15-2003, 08:51 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I like pretty much every Oiler on the team right now, but they do have some weaknesses, and IMO the defense corps is one... as to why, I think you answered your own question in what you wrote:

Essentially, Brewer has the capability to be a great #1, he's been playing more like it recently, but has gone through some brutal stretches this year and the prior 2 seasons... and in the end it would be a stretch to call him #1 worthy for this point in time.

Other than that, you've made a good case that there are a number of good #3-6 guys. If our defense is so great, we should have a solid #1 and #2.

But I like Semi and have high hopes for Lynch, so if Lowe can get another prospect for the blueline (Woywitka, Stuart, Coburn), I'll be pretty optimistic about the upcoming years.

EDIT: I realize Stuart isn't much of a prospect anymore, but his name's been mentioned, and he's still pretty young, so I threw him in there.

I agree. We are really one top 3 player away from solidifying the d. That said it doesn't look like that player is in the organization ready to play at the moment. Lynch is a long shot to be ready by the end of the year but knowing how MacTavish feels about mistakes near the playoff I am not sure he will get a chance this year. By February I expect the front 12 to have sorted itself out and a move to be made. Lowe is nothing if not patient.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:06 PM
kruezer

What do the Oil have for D-men prospects right now?

Old
11-15-2003, 10:10 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
What do the Oil have for D-men prospects right now?
Lynch and Greene...... that's about it for notable guys. We don't have much in the way of offensive kids on the blueline. I'll be very disapointed if we don't pick a blueliner, barring there is a GREATLY superior forward available when they pick, at next years draft.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:15 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Lynch and Greene...... that's about it for notable guys. We don't have much in the way of offensive kids on the blueline. I'll be very disapointed if we don't pick a blueliner, barring there is a GREATLY superior forward available when they pick, at next years draft.
That would make sense....I would assume they don't get Barker without trading up, what are the other defense options this draft year?

Old
11-16-2003, 05:34 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Don't forget Kenny Smith, and Mikael Svensk is 19 on the top 20 list on HF.

Old
11-16-2003, 08:09 AM
xauxi

I think KL has done an excellent job to bring Cross over. His play can influence the youngsters such as Brewer, MB, and Semenov from his calmness, his physical play (not all the time, but at the right time). He is so valuable to the Oilers at this stage (#12 of Flames had to avoid him all night). I just hope that with the talents we have in the young defenders combines with the steady and physical plays from Cross will solidify the defend group... Nicely mixed up the youngers and the veterans by KL and MacT.

Closed Thread