HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Datsyuk; Unsuccessful penalty shot

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2003, 07:29 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

vCash: 500
Datsyuk; Unsuccessful penalty shot

I was reading over here he had the best hands in the world....

:p

Old
11-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Boomhower

Datsyuk tried the same move he burned Turco with on Wednesday, but he didn't have nearly as much speed and Roloson didn't bite.

Old
11-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c

Just because he has great hands, doesn't mean that he's a great goal scorer. There are plenty of guys who i'd rather have with a penalty shot, but Datysuk does have one of the best sets of hands in the league (with Samsonov, Afinogenov, and Forsberg to name a few). He's also more of a play maker than a goal scorer, so it's not that surprising that he was unable to score on the penalty shot.

Old
11-15-2003, 07:40 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
Just because he has great hands, doesn't mean that he's a great goal scorer. There are plenty of guys who i'd rather have with a penalty shot, but Datysuk does have one of the best sets of hands in the league (with Samsonov, Afinogenov, and Forsberg to name a few). He's also more of a play maker than a goal scorer, so it's not that surprising that he was unable to score on the penalty shot.
oh well... now that's it, good hands can't deke goalies...

Old
11-15-2003, 07:42 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
he scores a brilliant breakaway goal that Turco went down wayyy too early for, and all of a sudden he's a great breakaway guy.. i dont' buy it. But he does have great skill.
agree 100%

Old
11-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Rand

I don't know about Datsyuk having among the best hands in the league, but I've seen a number of extremely talented goal scorers stopped on a penalty shot.

11-15-2003, 08:41 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I'm sure there were nights when even Gretzky and Lemieux and Forsberg and all these other guys were stopped too...it happens to the best of them...even you have to admit that.

There will be other nights and other times.

Old
11-15-2003, 08:59 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c

Gotta love this thread, flameing people for getting over excited about one play......meanwhile the grounds for critisizim is based on, you guessed it, one penalty shot. Classic!

Old
11-15-2003, 09:09 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
it would seem our friend Datsyuk lacks a bit of originality

Old
11-15-2003, 09:15 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

You know it is quite ironic that this comes up just one day after I read a thread where someone picked Datsyuk as his choice for a breakaway.

Easy come, easy go I guess.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:28 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
You know it is quite ironic that this comes up just one day after I read a thread where someone picked Datsyuk as his choice for a breakaway.

Easy come, easy go I guess.
Just the recency effect. I thought people were over-rating Datsyuk in that other thread just because he pulled off a very nice breakaway thread the day before. The fact that he's now missed a PS doesn't change my opinion one way or the other. I thought it was silly to classify him with mario, bure, or even nazzy before and I still do. Don't get me wrong, he's a good young player but I'm a lot more impressed by consistency and he hasn't shown me enough yet.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Well obviously Datsyuk needs to learn that you cant try the exact same move 2 days after it worked...obviously Roloson had watched some film before the game.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:09 AM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
So you are comparing Datsyuk to Forsberg, Lemeiux, and Gretzky?

The fact is he hasn't proven anything yet, he is still a 2nd line center IMO.
Wait a minute. Kira wasn't comparing Datsyuk to the greats of the game. She was simply saying that even guys with the best hands occasionally miss on penalty shot. Pretty obvious where she was going with this.

And whether Datsyuk is still a 2nd line center or not is irrelevants in this case. I've seen kids with great hands (or great speed) that couldn't even make it to the NHL. If Koltsov becomes a 3rd liner, does it mean people can't comment on his amazing speed and compare it to the speed of guys who've had much better careers???

Puzzled,
Bobby Orr

Old
11-16-2003, 06:09 AM
kira

Listen, I'm not trying to put Pavel up with Gretzky and Lemieux...that's like putting delicious and Macintosh apples together...they're both good but they're different.

All I tried to say is that EVERYONE has their off chances on a penalty shot...no one, and I mean NO ONE is, or was 100% dead on accuarate every time they got a shot. Not Gretzky, not Lemieux, not Forsberg, not even someone as great and legendary as Rocket Richard or Gordie Howe or Bobby Orr. Comprende?

Maybe next time he'll catch it...who knows? But don't consign him to the depths of Hockey Hell just because of one shot. No one is perfect...I suppose you're going to say you would have made it?

By the way, thank you, Bobby...you at least tried to understand what I was getting at. It's nice to have someone else backing me up. I appreciate it most profusely.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:24 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Penalty shots in hockey are hard even if you are a Lemieux. Most penalties don't result in a goal.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:26 AM
HeHateMeFrisbee

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
league is 3 for 10 this year......

Old
11-16-2003, 06:29 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Gretzky once got stoned on a penalty shot by Peter Ing, I believe

Old
11-16-2003, 07:19 AM
kira

Thank you, Bobby Orr's Knees, Forbesy, Frisbee and Freudian...you at least figured out what I was trying to get across to the rest of these narrow-minded idiots.

God bless you for having a brain!

Old
11-16-2003, 08:46 AM
Arastiroth

Quote:
You shouldn't be calling other people narrow minded your the one who think Detroit is the only team in the league and their players are the most talented.
I haven't seen anything too outlandish from Kira about Detroit players. Usually if it's a comparison or something between two players she'll pick the Detroit player, but she usually justifies it with something along the lines of just liking "so and so more" rather then thinking they are actually better.

It's not like she says Datsyuk is better then Forsberg, but I bet she would say she would rather have Datsyuk then Forsberg. It's more of a die hard fan mentality (I love my players, I'll keep them) rather then, as the oft thrown around word, being a "homer" (my players are the best in the world).

Just my opinion from what I've seen posted from her in the past.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:08 AM
kira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanguay40
I haven't seen anything too outlandish from Kira about Detroit players. Usually if it's a comparison or something between two players she'll pick the Detroit player, but she usually justifies it with something along the lines of just liking "so and so more" rather then thinking they are actually better.

It's not like she says Datsyuk is better then Forsberg, but I bet she would say she would rather have Datsyuk then Forsberg. It's more of a die hard fan mentality (I love my players, I'll keep them) rather then, as the oft thrown around word, being a "homer" (my players are the best in the world).

Just my opinion from what I've seen posted from her in the past.
Thank you, Tanguay40...I appreciate your kindness. Heaven knows it's in short supply around here.

What MacIsaac doesn't understand is that I am loyal to my team, and its players...right or wrong, good times and bad, these are my guys. I'm more than willing to give whomever their dues, but damn, don't I have the right to stick up for my own first and foremost?

If MacIsaac would get his head out of another part of his anatomy...oh, the hell with it...anyway, thanks Tanguay...I owe you one.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:35 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

First of all, I was being ironic when I first started the thread. And you're a ***** to call me an idiot and narrow-minded.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:37 AM
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
Thank you, Tanguay40...I appreciate your kindness. Heaven knows it's in short supply around here.

What MacIsaac doesn't understand is that I am loyal to my team, and its players...right or wrong, good times and bad, these are my guys. I'm more than willing to give whomever their dues, but damn, don't I have the right to stick up for my own first and foremost?

If MacIsaac would get his head out of another part of his anatomy...oh, the hell with it...anyway, thanks Tanguay...I owe you one.
stop making all of the ****ing god references, its always, god bless, heaven knows, banished to hell, seriously lay off of it.

And you are a homer, there is no doubt about it, Datsyuk is undoubtedly a very good young player but you hold him up on a pedestal like he was Gretzky jr. Don't go calling other people narrow minded idiots because they don't agree with you for it just makes you look like an insecure hypocrite.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:42 AM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
So you are comparing Datsyuk to Forsberg, Lemeiux, and Gretzky?

The fact is he hasn't proven anything yet, he is still a 2nd line center IMO.
Better yet, is he comparing Forsberg to Gretxky and Lemieux? Please don't insult Mario and the Great One.

Datsyuk is going to be a heck of a player. No need to create a thread insulting him simply because he missed on one penalty shot.

Old
11-16-2003, 11:45 AM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
It seems our friend Pascha (as if the name Datsyuk didn't make him sound like a Nancy already, he goes by Pascha! )
Dude, what's your problem? Pasha is just a short version of Pavel in Russian (like Tom & Thomas in English). Can't you do any better than make fun of a guy's GIVEN NAME???

Old
11-16-2003, 01:37 PM
kira

I have one option left to me...and I'm taking it.

You have all had your fun I hope, and at my expense. Hope you enjoyed it.

Closed Thread