HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

M. Ribeiro

Old
08-30-2006, 04:53 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

vCash: 500
M. Ribeiro

Hey guys I've always been a fan of his, and I was wondering if you guys could give me some information. What line will he be on, and who will he be on it with? What kind of numbers do you expect out of him this year?

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 05:18 AM
Qui Gon Dave

There was a little bit of discussion from Habs management after we signed Samsonov. As far as anyone can tell before camp starts, Ribeiro will likely start the season on the 2nd line, between Kovalev and Samsonov. Which could very well be explosive. Or could look like a puck handling display team. Each guy has enough talent to create plays and set up his linemates, its just making sure that one of those people will be willing to put the puck on net. I kinda hope that Kovalev will be a bit greedy this year in regards to shooting the puck, he has a great shot and it would be nice to see more of it.

As for Ribs production, if he plays the full season at his best and his linemates do too, its possible we might get 20G, 60A from him. More realistic numbers would probably be around 15G, 40A.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 05:31 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
There was a little bit of discussion from Habs management after we signed Samsonov. As far as anyone can tell before camp starts, Ribeiro will likely start the season on the 2nd line, between Kovalev and Samsonov. Which could very well be explosive. Or could look like a puck handling display team. Each guy has enough talent to create plays and set up his linemates, its just making sure that one of those people will be willing to put the puck on net. I kinda hope that Kovalev will be a bit greedy this year in regards to shooting the puck, he has a great shot and it would be nice to see more of it.

As for Ribs production, if he plays the full season at his best and his linemates do too, its possible we might get 20G, 60A from him. More realistic numbers would probably be around 15G, 40A.
Couldn't have said it better! But if you really like him, we could deal it to you for Getzlaf, why not!

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 05:31 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

thanks for the info. I have him as one of my bench players on my fantasy team, and I'm trying to decide if I should keep him or not.

Old
08-30-2006, 05:32 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Couldn't have said it better! But if you really like him, we could deal it to you for Getzlaf, why not!
Ha, that's ok. We'll hold on to Getzlaf for now.

Old
08-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Catch-22

There is nothing likely about a Kovalev-Ribeiro-Samsonov line. That's an assumption. To answer your question, Ribeiro is a small, weak, ineffective centre who probably won't be playing on the Habs 365 days from now.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 06:51 AM
Pascal

If Ribeiro's attitude changes he could be quite a good player imo. Not big or very fast but full of skill.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 07:25 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
thanks for the info. I have him as one of my bench players on my fantasy team, and I'm trying to decide if I should keep him or not.
He'll be on the top two lines.
I say worst case scenario, he gets 50, best case he gets 75. I'd bet he gets around 60.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 07:38 AM
GoodKiwi

THe day I'll see Mike finish a season with 75 points I'll cry from the overwhelming feeling of happiness and joy.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 07:40 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
There is nothing likely about a Kovalev-Ribeiro-Samsonov line. That's an assumption. To answer your question, Ribeiro is a small, weak, ineffective centre who probably won't be playing on the Habs 365 days from now.
yep, that's what people said last season, too. he's still a Hab, too.

Good times.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 07:45 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Yes, it is an assumption, as is any talk about lines and in some cases, roster spots during August. There is nothing likely about a Kovalev-Ribeiro-Samsonov line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Carbonneau
“We were looking to fill in the open spot alongside Mike Ribeiro and Kovalev,” said Carbonneau. “A natural goal scorer with a really good shot, Sergei knows how to get free and Ribeiro and Kovalev like to find the open man. They should be a good combination.”
link

I'm not saying that line is set in stone, but there is a reasonable chance of it happening. To say there is nothing likely about it is wide of the mark. As for Ribs being ineffective, yes, in some regards that is a valid arguement, but you can't say his entire game is ineffective. He's a good stickhandler and passer who can create chances (which not everyone can do) and put up points, so as long as he keeps his strengths and works on his weaknesses which I'm fairly sure Guy will give him every opportunity to do, it would also be inaccurate to bluntly say that Ribeiro as a player is ineffective. Sometimes very frustrating to watch, I'll give you, but flat out ineffective, no.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Iz

Quote:
We will see that! How come he's on the first line then?

Iz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Fozz

Lines are always though to determine before training camp but after signing Samsonov, Carbonneau said he was looking forward to playing him with Kovalev and Ribeiro... When it comes from the coach, I think it's safe to say it's a little bit more than an assumption.

The main factor with Ribeiro is not talent because he has plenty of that. What's important is attitude and willingness. The word from Montreal is that he's been training hard at the Bell center since May and that he's worked on his skating with the same trainer that help Patrice Bergeron and others.

I predict a very good season from Mike... 75-80 points IMO.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Talent Analyst

I expect Ribeiro to have an 60-70 points seasons .

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 09:03 AM
Toro

Quote:
There is nothing likely about a Kovalev-Ribeiro-Samsonov line. That's an assumption. .
Actually i heard Carbo suggest he might try that line

is ribs one of your favorite habs? Mr 22? lol

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 09:19 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Of course it depends of what you allready have at the center position, but for now, I would say keep him. No matter if we like him or not, he's full of talent, he will play with talentuous linemates (even if it's not Kovy or Samsonov, he will at least play with Ryder, and/or Higgins, and/or Perezhogin, etc.)

And there is other reasons to keep him.

1- He's talentuous
2- He was Habs' best scorer 2 seasons ago
3- He will play with good linemates
4- He will see some (if not a lot of) PP time
3- He enters his prime (26 years old)
4- He's only valuable on the first two offensive lines
5- If Habs judge that he's not valuable on the first two lines anymore, he will get trade
6- If he's trade, it's because his new team needs an offensive boost.

At worse, he's not getting better and you'll always find some interesting options at the center position on the waivers to replace him, after 25-33% of the season. But if he get better, you may have a surprising production from him.

Personnaly (I'm no expert or telepath), I think that it is actually what Gainey and Carbonneau are thinking for now. If he doesn't do the job after a while, Habs do have options (trade, Plekanec, etc.)

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Darz

A) As far as line combo's go, the only sure thing is, there is no sure things. I would assume during this upcoming year, Mike Ribeiro will spend some time on a line with Samsonov, Kovalev, Ryder, Perezhogin, maybe Johnson, Begin, Murray, and let's throw in Kostitsyn's name in their as well.

If you guys can remember to the begining of last year, when our no doubt, etched in stone first line for the season was Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev, you should remember line combo's even in the best of times, don't stay together for long periods of time, so.....

B) No one doubt's Ribeiro's skills with the puck. He's a great passer, has good hockey sense, and can dangle with the best of them. And although he cannot play a real physical game, I don't think his size is an issue. The only issue is skating. Mike is not a naturally gifted skater as far as speed goes. If he was, he would of been a top 5 pick in the 1998 draft, and a point a game player in the NHL today. But, imo, Ribeiro can be a good second line centre for a long time, if he does 2 basic things....

1. Doesn't stop moving his feet. Ribeiro's fancy moves with the puck are only effective if he is skating at his top speed. Any dman in the NHL can stop him if he is gliding over the blue line trying to make some sort of move. I think Ribeiro starts to glide too much as well when he starts thinking pass all the time. It would help Mike's game out alot if sometimes he just decided to take the puck to the net and try to score. This would force dman to take penalties, and would also keep the opposition on their toes as far as 'Is he going to shoot or pass'.

2. Shuts his mouth. I don't mind if a player speaks his mind, but sometimes you have to learn what to say and what not to say. I think it could help Ribeiro out, if he decided to become just another TEAM guy. Wear all the gansta crap you want, but when it comes to your teammates and stuff, be a positive not a negative.

08-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Montrealer

I'm predicting 71 points and hoping for even more. 71 points from your #2 centre is exactly what you're looking for, and I think he'll get it with the talent we have up front (top six, not assuming anything about his linemates since they'll flux during the year anyway).

I'd say for next season his floor is 50 points and his absolute ceiling is about 85 points.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 10:01 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
A) As far as line combo's go, the only sure thing is, there is no sure things. I would assume during this upcoming year, Mike Ribeiro will spend some time on a line with Samsonov, Kovalev, Ryder, Perezhogin, maybe Johnson, Begin, Murray, and let's throw in Kostitsyn's name in their as well.

If you guys can remember to the begining of last year, when our no doubt, etched in stone first line for the season was Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev, you should remember line combo's even in the best of times, don't stay together for long periods of time, so.....

B) No one doubt's Ribeiro's skills with the puck. He's a great passer, has good hockey sense, and can dangle with the best of them. And although he cannot play a real physical game, I don't think his size is an issue. The only issue is skating. Mike is not a naturally gifted skater as far as speed goes. If he was, he would of been a top 5 pick in the 1998 draft, and a point a game player in the NHL today. But, imo, Ribeiro can be a good second line centre for a long time, if he does 2 basic things....

1. Doesn't stop moving his feet. Ribeiro's fancy moves with the puck are only effective if he is skating at his top speed. Any dman in the NHL can stop him if he is gliding over the blue line trying to make some sort of move. I think Ribeiro starts to glide too much as well when he starts thinking pass all the time. It would help Mike's game out alot if sometimes he just decided to take the puck to the net and try to score. This would force dman to take penalties, and would also keep the opposition on their toes as far as 'Is he going to shoot or pass'.

2. Shuts his mouth. I don't mind if a player speaks his mind, but sometimes you have to learn what to say and what not to say. I think it could help Ribeiro out, if he decided to become just another TEAM guy. Wear all the gansta crap you want, but when it comes to your teammates and stuff, be a positive not a negative.
Good post. I think we will see some goals out of Mike this year. He will get great passes back. During the playoffs he was in front of the net. Opposing teams with be focusing on his linemates and he will have more space to work his magic. We will still hate him but he could pile up the points.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Of course it depends of what you allready have at the center position, but for now, I would say keep him. No matter if we like him or not, he's full of talent, he will play with talentuous linemates (even if it's not Kovy or Samsonov, he will at least play with Ryder, and/or Higgins, and/or Perezhogin, etc.)

And there is other reasons to keep him.

1- He's talentuous
2- He was Habs' best scorer 2 seasons ago
3- He will play with good linemates
4- He will see some (if not a lot of) PP time
3- He enters his prime (26 years old)
4- He's only valuable on the first two offensive lines
5- If Habs judge that he's not valuable on the first two lines anymore, he will get trade
6- If he's trade, it's because his new team needs an offensive boost.

At worse, he's not getting better and you'll always find some interesting options at the center position on the waivers to replace him, after 25-33% of the season. But if he get better, you may have a surprising production from him.

Personnaly (I'm no expert or telepath), I think that it is actually what Gainey and Carbonneau are thinking for now. If he doesn't do the job after a while, Habs do have options (trade, Plekanec, etc.)
I currently have to many centers on my bench, and I'm trying to decide which one to keep. Here's the ones I have, please put them in order from who you'd most likely keep to most likely not to keep: J.O'Neil, M.Ribeiro, B.Smolinkski, C.Drury.

Old
08-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Second line with Kovalev and Samsonov, expect him to put up 65-75 points this season.

He'll have a permanent left wing on his second line, wich he didn't have last season and he will be playing without distractions (Theodore and Dagenais).

Expect a big season from him, then look at his haters turn around and jump on the Mike Ribeiro bandwagon

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
please put them in order from who you'd most likely keep to most likely not to keep: J.O'Neil, M.Ribeiro, B.Smolinkski, C.Drury.
Ribeiro
Drury
Smolinski
O'Neil

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Yes it's an assumption cuz he's the best option we've got for the 2nd line.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
I currently have to many centers on my bench, and I'm trying to decide which one to keep. Here's the ones I have, please put them in order from who you'd most likely keep to most likely not to keep: J.O'Neil, M.Ribeiro, B.Smolinkski, C.Drury.
If you're going for points;

Ribs
Drury
Smolinski
O'Neil (doesn't he play wing?)

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 01:17 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
when it comes to your teammates and stuff, be a positive not a negative.
I'm not sure what you're referring to here, except maybe for that comment about Koivu in an article in a French web magazine... that turned out to be a hoax.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote